Michael Snow

Default chicken stew

I need a good chicken stew recipe
Michael

projectile vomit chick

"Michael Snow" > wrote in message
> I need a good chicken stew recipe
> Michael

Prepare yourself for the barrage of assholes telling you to use Google, then
chiding you and calling you names for using a Webtv.

jmcquown

Michael Snow wrote:
> I need a good chicken stew recipe
> Michael

Pretty simple. Boil some bone-in chicken (I tend to use cut up chicken, not
just chicken breasts) in enough water to cover, about 30 minutes until the
chicken is tender. Now, you want to add some things to that water. An
onion, a chopped carrot, a couple of diced stalks of celery, salt & pepper.
You're making a very basic broth.

Remove the cooked chicken with a slotted spoon and set it aside to cool.
Skim the fat off the broth and then strain out the cooked veggies; they're
done.

Now, remove the chicken skin and then tear the chicken meat into pieces and
add it back to the broth. At this point, add chopped veggies of your choice
for the stew - carrots, potatoes, celery, turnip, whatever. Bring the
mixture to a slow boil. Reduce the heat and cook until the vegetables are
tender, about 30 minutes.

When I make chicken stew I like to add drop dumplings on the top. It helps
to thicken the stew and also makes a nice addition. You can use a basic
recipe like the one below:

Stew Dumplings

1-1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. milk
3 Tbs. vegetable shortening
3/4 tsp. salt

Blend together the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut the
shortening mixture into the flour mixture. Stir in the milk until
moistened. Drop by teaspoonfuls into bubbling soups and stews (do not stir
in). Cook 10 minutes covered; remove the cover from the pan and cook
another 10 minutes uncovered.

I remove these with a slotted spoon to the serving bowls and spoon the stew
over the top.

Any questions, just ask or email me

Jill

Bob

Michael wrote:

> I need a good chicken stew recipe

Cut up a chicken. Sprinkle it with salt and sugar and let it sit in the
refrigerator for an hour. Rinse chicken.

Heat canola oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add a layer of chicken
pieces, skin-side down. Grind black pepper over the top. Cook 4 minutes,
turn chicken, and cook another 4 minutes. Remove chicken pieces to a bowl.
Repeat browning with remaining chicken pieces.

When all chicken pieces are browned, add chopped onion, celery, and carrots.
Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove
the chicken meat from the bones. Remove the vegetables from the pot and put
them in a bowl with the chicken meat.

Increase heat to medium-high, and make sure there's still a bit of oil in
the pan. (If necessary, add a tablespoon of oil.) Sprinkle two tablespoons
of flour into the pan and whisk vigorously until the flour starts to brown.
Slowly add a cup of chicken stock and a quarter-cup of sherry, whisking
continuously to dissolve the lumps that will form. Scrape the bottom of the
pot to remove the browned bits.

When the pot has been thoroughly scraped and no lumps remain, slowly add
another three cups chicken stock. Return the chicken and vegetables to the
pot; cook another fifteen minutes or so to marry the flavors and finish
cooking the chicken. Remove from the heat and stir in a half-cup of cream.

Serve immediately with noodles or potatoes.

Bob

jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
> Michael Snow wrote:
>> I need a good chicken stew recipe
>> Michael

> When I make chicken stew I like to add drop dumplings on the top. It
> helps to thicken the stew and also makes a nice addition.

I should have added, if you don't want dumplings, you can thicken the stew
any number of ways. You can create a slurry with cornstarch, about 2-3 Tbs.
cornstarch to 1-1-1/2 Tbs. cold water, blended together in a bowl or
measuring cup. You'll be surprised how little water it takes to blend
cornstarch. Slowly stir this mixture into the hot stew and continue to cook
it for a few minutes until it is thickend to your liking. Alternatively,
you could use more expensive arrowroot to do the same thing.

Flour and water can be blended to thicken a stew, but unless you are careful
it can cause lumps of uncooked flour which are simply unpalatable.

Another choice is to stir in some whipping cream or half & half and a
tablespoon of whole cream butter. I tend to avoid this method because it
tastes so good but is soooo filled with fat!

Good luck; whatever recipe you follow, please let us know how your chicken
stew turns out.

Jill

Dimiri

"Michael Snow" > wrote in message
> I need a good chicken stew recipe
> Michael

Here you go.

Dimitri

Old Fashioned.

2 lbs. cut up chicken
1 can tomatoes (16 oz.)
1 can cream style corn, 16 oz.
1 pt. sweet milk
Butter or margarine to suit your taste
Salt and black pepper to taste

Cover chicken with enough water to make up to 1/2 gallon broth. Cook until
tender enough to remove from bone. Then put chicken back in broth. Put
milk, salt, pepper and margarine in. Bring to boil. Put enough crumbled
crackers to suit your thickness. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove and serve
with crackers.
Tarragon Chicken stew

4 c. water
3/4 lb. boneless chicken breast, cubed
4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 lb. sm. red potatoes, scrubbed and halved or cut into chunks
1 med.-size onion, sliced
1 tbsp. dried tarragon
1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. lowfat milk
1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
Pepper and salt to taste

In 4-quart saucepan, combine water, chicken, carrots, potatoes, onion and
tarragon. Bring to boiling over high heat. Stir and cover pan; reduce heat
to low. Simmer soup 20 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
In a small bowl with a wire whisk, blend flour and milk until smooth. Stir
into soup mixture with spoon. Add green beans. Bring the stew to boil over
medium-high heat. Simmer until thickened and bubbly. Season with pepper
and salt.

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> jmcquown wrote:
> > Michael Snow wrote:
> >> I need a good chicken stew recipe
> >> Michael

> > When I make chicken stew I like to add drop dumplings on the top. It
> > helps to thicken the stew and also makes a nice addition.

> I should have added, if you don't want dumplings, you can thicken the stew
> any number of ways. You can create a slurry with cornstarch, about 2-3

Tbs.
> cornstarch to 1-1-1/2 Tbs. cold water, blended together in a bowl or
> measuring cup. You'll be surprised how little water it takes to blend
> cornstarch. Slowly stir this mixture into the hot stew and continue to

cook
> it for a few minutes until it is thickend to your liking. Alternatively,
> you could use more expensive arrowroot to do the same thing.
>
> Flour and water can be blended to thicken a stew, but unless you are

careful
> it can cause lumps of uncooked flour which are simply unpalatable.
>
> Another choice is to stir in some whipping cream or half & half and a
> tablespoon of whole cream butter. I tend to avoid this method because it
> tastes so good but is soooo filled with fat!
>
> Good luck; whatever recipe you follow, please let us know how your chicken
> stew turns out.
>
> Jill

Jill, are you saying that chicken stew is basically chicken soup thickened?
'Cause the recipe you described (without dumplings or flour) is exactly how
I make my chicken soup. If all you have to do is thicken the broth to make
stew, then I'd rather do that than make soup.

kili

kilikini

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Michael wrote:
>
> > I need a good chicken stew recipe

> Cut up a chicken. Sprinkle it with salt and sugar and let it sit in the
> refrigerator for an hour. Rinse chicken.
>
> Heat canola oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add a layer of chicken
> pieces, skin-side down. Grind black pepper over the top. Cook 4 minutes,
> turn chicken, and cook another 4 minutes. Remove chicken pieces to a bowl.
> Repeat browning with remaining chicken pieces.
>
> When all chicken pieces are browned, add chopped onion, celery, and

carrots.
> Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.

Remove
> the chicken meat from the bones. Remove the vegetables from the pot and

put
> them in a bowl with the chicken meat.
>
> Increase heat to medium-high, and make sure there's still a bit of oil in
> the pan. (If necessary, add a tablespoon of oil.) Sprinkle two

tablespoons
> of flour into the pan and whisk vigorously until the flour starts to

brown.
> Slowly add a cup of chicken stock and a quarter-cup of sherry, whisking
> continuously to dissolve the lumps that will form. Scrape the bottom of

the
> pot to remove the browned bits.
>
> When the pot has been thoroughly scraped and no lumps remain, slowly add
> another three cups chicken stock. Return the chicken and vegetables to the
> pot; cook another fifteen minutes or so to marry the flavors and finish
> cooking the chicken. Remove from the heat and stir in a half-cup of

cream.

> Serve immediately with noodles or potatoes.
>
> Bob

Now that one sounds wonderful, Bob! Thanks for the idea.

kili

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> When I make chicken stew I like to add drop dumplings on the top.
>>> It helps to thicken the stew and also makes a nice addition.

>> I should have added, if you don't want dumplings, you can thicken
>> the stew any number of ways. You can create a slurry with
>> cornstarch, about 2-3 Tbs. cornstarch to 1-1-1/2 Tbs. cold water,
>> blended together in a bowl or measuring cup. You'll be surprised
>> how little water it takes to blend cornstarch. Slowly stir this
>> mixture into the hot stew and continue to cook it for a few minutes
>> until it is thickend to your liking. Alternatively, you could use
>> more expensive arrowroot to do the same thing.
>>
>> Flour and water can be blended to thicken a stew, but unless you are
>> careful it can cause lumps of uncooked flour which are simply
>> unpalatable.
>>
>> Another choice is to stir in some whipping cream or half & half and a
>> tablespoon of whole cream butter. I tend to avoid this method
>> because it tastes so good but is soooo filled with fat!
>>
>> Good luck; whatever recipe you follow, please let us know how your
>> chicken stew turns out.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Jill, are you saying that chicken stew is basically chicken soup
> thickened? 'Cause the recipe you described (without dumplings or
> flour) is exactly how I make my chicken soup. If all you have to do
> is thicken the broth to make stew, then I'd rather do that than make
> soup.
>
> kili

Pretty much, yeah. I don't normally add turnips or green beans or peas to
my chicken soup, but I tend to do so when I'm making stew. Don't ask me
why. But then, I always add dumplings to stew to thicken it, whether it's
beef, chicken or lamb stew.

Jill

PENMART01

>"kilikini"
>
>Jill, are you saying that chicken stew is basically chicken soup thickened?
>'Cause the recipe you described (without dumplings or flour) is exactly how
>I make my chicken soup. If all you have to do is thicken the broth to make
>stew, then I'd rather do that than make soup.

Preparing a stock and then adding back the meat and thickening seems in every
respect counter productive for producing a stew, borders on boiling bbq
spareribs... if you're making soup then call it soup. I prepare chicken stew
using the same method I use for beef stew, to me stew prep should not extract
the flavor of the meat but instead the concept is to enhance the meat with
flavorful additions.... essentially first I brown the meat... here're a couple
of basics:

CHICKEN AND ROOT VEGETABLE STEW

Make this almost entirely ahead (up to two days), and simply reheat before
serving. Crusty bread and a salad round out the main course. Serve Sauvignon
Blanc alongside.
2 tablespoons olive oil
12 chicken thighs, well trimmed
2 cups chopped onions
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
2 large boiling potatoes, peeled, each cut into 12 pieces
3 large carrots, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
2 large parsnips, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
2 medium rutabagas, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 medium turnips, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth

3/4 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add
chicken and cook until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes per batch; transfer
browned chicken to large bowl. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from
pot. Add onions to pot and sauté over medium heat until golden, about 8
minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add wine and 1/4 cup marjoram and
simmer until wine evaporates, about 4 minutes. Return chicken to pot. Arrange
vegetables over chicken. Pour chicken broth over. Cover and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are
tender, about 30 minutes.

Using slotted spoon, carefully transfer chicken and vegetables to large clean
bowl. Boil liquid in pot until reduced to 3 cups, about 10 minutes. Mix cream
and cornstarch in medium bowl. Stir into liquid in pot. Simmer until thickened
to sauce consistency, about 5 minutes. Return chicken and vegetables to pot.
(Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool slightly, then refrigerate uncovered until
cold. Cover and keep refrigerated.) Bring stew to simmer, stirring gently. Add
remaining 2 tablespoons marjoram and serve.

Bon Appétit
---

CHICKEN STEW WITH TOMATOES AND WHITE BEANS

4 bacon slices, chopped
6 chicken thighs with skin and bones (about 2 1/2 pounds)
All purpose flour
1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 14 1/2-ounce cans stewed tomatoes
1 14 1/2-ounce can low-salt chicken broth
3/4 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 15-ounce cans cannellini (white kidney beans), drained

Cook chopped bacon in heavy large pot over medium-high heat until crisp. Using
slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel. Sprinkle chicken thighs with salt
and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Add to drippings in
pot and sauté until brown, about 3 minutes per side. Using slotted spoon,
transfer chicken to large bowl. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons drippings from
pot. Add chopped onion and minced garlic to pot; sauté 4 minutes. Add bacon,
stewed tomatoes, chicken broth, red wine, basil and oregano. Bring to boil,
scraping up browned bits. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pot.
Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Add
cannellini; simmer 10 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Bon Appétit
---

AUTHENTIC COQ AU VIN
A true coq au vin is made with the master of the farmyard, a rooster. If you
can't find such a beast, use a good-size roasting chicken, and reduce the
cooking time (cook it for about one hour, or until the meat is tender and
cooked but not falling from the bone).

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
One 7-8 pound rooster ( 3 and one half to 4 pound stewing hen or roasting
chicken), cut in serving pieces, with giblets
One half cup cup calvados, brandy, poire william or other liqueur (if using a
chicken, reduce the amount of liqueur to one-quarter cup)
12 ounces slab bacon, rind removed and cut into 1-inch chunks (use 8 ounces if
cooking a chicken)
1 slice air-cured ham, diced
Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 bottle hearty red wine
One bouquet garni (thyme, bay, parsley wrapped together)
2 cloves garlic, green germ removed
2 cups chicken stock

For the garnish:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 pound mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

To thicken the sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Melt the butter in a large, heavy stockpot over medium heat. When the butter is
hot, brown the rooster on all sides, doing so in two batches if necessary.
Standing back and making sure your hair is tied back and your clothes are not
over the heat, add the liqueur, then flame it by lighting a match and holding
it just above the pot. The liqueur will catch fire and flames will leap into
the air and burn out within 1 minute.

Remove the chicken from the pan and add the bacon. Brown it on all sides. While
the bacon is browning, mince the ham with the liver and the gizzard. When the
bacon is browned, add the chicken back to the pan and season with salt and
pepper. Pour the wine over all. Stir in the ham and the giblets, add the
bouquet garni and the garlic, and pour in just enough chicken stock to cover
the chicken. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat so it is simmering,
cover and cook until the chicken is tender but not falling from the bone (1-1/2
hours for a rooster; about 1 hour for chicken).

Make the garnish:
While the rooster is cooking, heat the butter for the mushrooms over medium
heat. When it is foaming, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently,
until the mushrooms are tender and their juices have evaporated, 5 to 7
minutes. Season lightly, remove from the heat and reserve.

Make the sauce:
Blend the butter and flour in a small bowl to a homogeneous paste. When the
chicken is cooked, about 1/4 cup of the cooking juices into the flour and
butter mixture, then pour that mixture into the pan holding the chicken. Stir
it in and let it cook, stirring, until the sauce is thickened. Taste for
seasoning and remove from the heat. Let the dish sit at least 8 hours, or
overnight, before serving.

Serves 6 to 8 (if using a rooster); serves 4 to 6 (if using a chicken).

Letter from France
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Paul M. Cook©®

"Michael Snow" > wrote in message
> I need a good chicken stew recipe
> Michael

I've not prepared this version myself but I watched Tyl;er Florence prepare
it on the food channel. It looked pretty incredible from what I could see.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._16271,00.html

It is easily the fussiest chicken stew I have ever seen but I suspect it is
well worth the effort.

Paul

Arri London

Michael Snow wrote:

> I need a good chicken stew recipe
> Michael

Chop a whole chicken (bones in) into chunks.
Brown onions and garlic in oil, remove and brown the chicken in the same
oil. Add back the onions and garlic. Add water or broth to cover the
pieces. Season with salt, pepper and red chiles.
Add some chopped tomatoes (canned is OK) and either chopped peanuts or
unsweetened chunky peanut butter. Potatoes or sweet potatoes cut in
chunks can go in too.
Bring to a boil and simmer covered until the chicken is tender.

Serve with flat bread and hardboiled eggs.
Louis Cohen

Brown chicken pieces in oil in a dutch oven and remove.

Saute garlic in the chicken fat in the dutch oven. Add diced onion, celery,
carrot, bell pepper, etc. and brown.

Add liquid - water, stock, canned tomatoes if you want a red stew. Return
chicken to the pot. Add cut up root vegetables (potato, parsnip, turnips,
etc.). Add salt and pepper and bay leaves. Cover, bring to a boil and then
simmer an hour. Enjoy.

There is obviously endless variation in the ingredients and the seasoning.
But fundamentally, you brown the chicken, remove, brown aromatic veggies,
add liquid, return the chicken to the pot, and simmer.

If you want it thicker, after you brown the veggies, add some flour and make
a roux, then add the liquid.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Michael Snow" > wrote in message
> I need a good chicken stew recipe
> Michael

Louis Cohen

I think of stew as a braise raise than a thickened soup. Brown the meat
(not boil it), then simmer in liquid with veggies.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> kilikini wrote:
> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > . ..

> >> I should have added, if you don't want dumplings, you can thicken
> >> the stew any number of ways. You can create a slurry with
> >> cornstarch, about 2-3 Tbs. cornstarch to 1-1-1/2 Tbs. cold water,
> >> blended together in a bowl or measuring cup. You'll be surprised
> >> how little water it takes to blend cornstarch. Slowly stir this
> >> mixture into the hot stew and continue to cook it for a few minutes
> >> until it is thickend to your liking. Alternatively, you could use
> >> more expensive arrowroot to do the same thing.
> >>
> >> Flour and water can be blended to thicken a stew, but unless you are
> >> careful it can cause lumps of uncooked flour which are simply
> >> unpalatable.
> >>
> >> Another choice is to stir in some whipping cream or half & half and a
> >> tablespoon of whole cream butter. I tend to avoid this method
> >> because it tastes so good but is soooo filled with fat!
> >>
> >> Good luck; whatever recipe you follow, please let us know how your
> >> chicken stew turns out.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> > Jill, are you saying that chicken stew is basically chicken soup
> > thickened? 'Cause the recipe you described (without dumplings or
> > flour) is exactly how I make my chicken soup. If all you have to do
> > is thicken the broth to make stew, then I'd rather do that than make
> > soup.
> >
> > kili

> Pretty much, yeah. I don't normally add turnips or green beans or peas to
> my chicken soup, but I tend to do so when I'm making stew. Don't ask me
> why. But then, I always add dumplings to stew to thicken it, whether it's
> beef, chicken or lamb stew.
>
> Jill

PENMART01

>Arri London writes:
>
>Chop a whole chicken (bones in) into chunks.
>Brown onions and garlic in oil, remove and brown the chicken in the same
>oil. Add back the onions and garlic.

Are you dyslexic... just asking.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Michael Snow

Default chicken stew...(Thanks)

thanks for all of the recipes
Michael

Louis Cohen

The peanuts and sweet potatoes suggest an African origin for your recipe -
where does the recipe come from?

----

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Michael Snow wrote:
> >
> > I need a good chicken stew recipe
> > Michael

> Chop a whole chicken (bones in) into chunks.
> Brown onions and garlic in oil, remove and brown the chicken in the same
> oil. Add back the onions and garlic. Add water or broth to cover the
> pieces. Season with salt, pepper and red chiles.
> Add some chopped tomatoes (canned is OK) and either chopped peanuts or
> unsweetened chunky peanut butter. Potatoes or sweet potatoes cut in
> chunks can go in too.
> Bring to a boil and simmer covered until the chicken is tender.
>
> Serve with flat bread and hardboiled eggs.

jmcquown

Louis Cohen wrote:
> I think of stew as a braise raise than a thickened soup. Brown the
> meat (not boil it), then simmer in liquid with veggies.

I suppose I could also brown the chicken before adding water to the pot.
That would add some nice browned bits from the browning in oil process. But
then, it really still is like making soup only thicker

Jill

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> kilikini wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Jill, are you saying that chicken stew is basically chicken soup
>>> thickened? 'Cause the recipe you described (without dumplings or
>>> flour) is exactly how I make my chicken soup. If all you have to do
>>> is thicken the broth to make stew, then I'd rather do that than make
>>> soup.
>>>
>>> kili

>> Pretty much, yeah. I don't normally add turnips or green beans or
>> peas to my chicken soup, but I tend to do so when I'm making stew.
>> Don't ask me why. But then, I always add dumplings to stew to
>> thicken it, whether it's beef, chicken or lamb stew.
>>
>> Jill

Arri London

Louis Cohen wrote:

> The peanuts and sweet potatoes suggest an African origin for your recipe -
> where does the recipe come from?
>
> --

Well spotted! It is generic African, in that it's made in several parts
of the continent. The recipe is cobbled together from several versions
I've eaten in people's homes. Not certain in which area it originated
though.

Chicken stew Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 291 21-05-2016 02:54 AM
REC: Chicken Pot Pie Stew Koko General Cooking 5 03-03-2007 03:23 AM
Chipotle-Chicken Stew [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2006 04:10 PM
Chicken Stew Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:53 PM
Stew Chicken vs Regular Chicken mary General Cooking 1 07-12-2004 06:04 PM