Damsel

Default Recipes Using Blue (Bleu) Cheese

Here's one that we tried when we had a house guest awhile back. I don't
remember if Crash tried it or not. I fear blue cheese, but this was very
good. Any other good ones for blue cheese phobics?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Shrimp Stuffed Pasta Shells

Recipe By :Chef Kocoa
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cheese fish/seafood
pasta

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
20 jumbo pasta shells
3/4 pound shrimp, cooked
1 cup ricotta cheese
8 ounces cream cheese -- at room temperature
1 cup gorgonzola cheese -- crumbled
1/2 cup pecans -- chopped
2/3 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
1 teaspoon orange zest -- grated
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
24 ounces pasta sauce

Bring large stock pot of water to a boil. Add 2 teaspoons salt to season
pasta shells. Cook for 10 minutes, drain in a colander and let cool down
for at least 10 minutes.

While pasta shells are cooling preheat the oven to 350ºF and make the
stuffing. With a fork, whip the ricotta, cream and gorgonzola cheeses until
smooth. Blend in the pecans, parsley, orange zest and shrimp. Stuff the
jumbo shells and lay in a casserole dish. Do not stack shells on top of
each other. Spoon pasta sauce over top of shells and sprinkle with Parmesan
cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes and serve immediately.

Source:
"http://www.kocoaskitchen.com/"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This would be nice with a garlicky bechamel sauce, rather than a
tomato-based sauce. Carol

Oh Yeah another bleu addict in the making!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about a nice big wheel of bleu cheese from Wisconisn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curly Sue

On Sun, 15 May 2005 17:30:19 -0500, Damsel >
wrote:

>Here's one that we tried when we had a house guest awhile back. I don't
>remember if Crash tried it or not. I fear blue cheese, but this was very
>good. Any other good ones for blue cheese phobics?
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Shrimp Stuffed Pasta Shells
>
>Recipe By :Chef Kocoa

<snip>

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>NOTES : This would be nice with a garlicky bechamel sauce, rather than a
>tomato-based sauce. Carol

Yes, that's what I would have done.

Your next blue cheese step should be a mild blue cheese salad
dressing. Once you conquer that, you can add some blue cheese
crumbles to it, and you're on your way!

Sue(tm)

Curly Sue

On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:53:30 -0400, Dave Smith

>> Oh Yeah another bleu addict in the making!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>> How about a nice big wheel of bleu cheese from Wisconisn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>Is Wisconsin blue cheese good. I usually get Danish Blue, but also love
>Roquefort and Gorgonzola, and another Italian creamy blue cheese whose
>name escapes me at the moment.

Maytag Blue is wonderful (and it is made by the Maytag appliance
family in Iowa).

A mild blue that Carol might like is Montagnolo. It's a German triple
cream and quite nice. It was the favorite of Souris (Henry) who used
to post here.

Sue(tm)
Rick & Cyndi

"Damsel" > wrote in message
> Here's one that we tried when we had a house guest awhile back. I don't
> remember if Crash tried it or not. I fear blue cheese, but this was very
> good. Any other good ones for blue cheese phobics?
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Shrimp Stuffed Pasta Shells
> ===========<snip>=============

I still say you need to try the Bleu Cheese Cheesecake!! Absolutely
divine - especially with a cordial glass of Tawny Port. The world could end
and you wouldn't care. Truly!

Cyndi

Jude

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> > ===========<snip>=============

> I still say you need to try the Bleu Cheese Cheesecake!!

recipe, please? my boyfriend is a bleu-cheese addict. i'd love to make
that for him.

my personal favorite is saga baby bleu, which is creamy like a brie but
strong like a bleu too. it's really good softened to room temp, stuffed
into celery ribs, and topped with chopped toasted walnuts. a good party
hors d'oeuvre.

i also use it in salad dressing, by mixing 1/2 c mayo (lowfat), 1/2 c
buttermilk, and 1 wedge (about 1/4 - 1/3 lb) of crumbled cheese witha
sprinkle of salt and pepper, in my hand blender. you can make it as
mild or as strong as you like.

Rick & Cyndi

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Rick & Cyndi wrote:
>
>> > ===========<snip>=============

>> I still say you need to try the Bleu Cheese Cheesecake!!

> recipe, please? my boyfriend is a bleu-cheese addict. i'd love to make
> that for him.
>
> my personal favorite is saga baby bleu, which is creamy like a brie but
> strong like a bleu too. it's really good softened to room temp, stuffed
> into celery ribs, and topped with chopped toasted walnuts. a good party
> hors d'oeuvre.
>
> i also use it in salad dressing, by mixing 1/2 c mayo (lowfat), 1/2 c
> buttermilk, and 1 wedge (about 1/4 - 1/3 lb) of crumbled cheese witha
> sprinkle of salt and pepper, in my hand blender. you can make it as
> mild or as strong as you like.
>========

Hey Jude (G),

I've E-mailed you the recipe. For anyone else interested, it's:

Liz's Bleu Cheesecake

This is the recipe for what cousin Liz served while we were in
Cincinnati, visiting over Memorial Weekend 2003. The "base" of
this recipe comes from GG (Grandma Gertrude Hackett) and she
simply adds the additional Roquefort to make it Bleu. Her
preference is to add Gorgonzola, instead, but she wasn't able to
procure it from the store (in time).

24 oz Cream Cheese
3 Egg Yolks
5 Egg Whites (whipped & folded)
1 1/2 c Sugar
1 t Vanilla
4 oz Roquefort Bleu Cheese (or Gorgonzola!)

Graham Cracker Crust

Caramelized Sugar with toasted Pecans for topping

Cream the cream cheese and the sugar, blend in the egg yolks and
vanilla. Then fold in the egg whites and pour into a springform
pan with the graham cracker crumb crust. Sprinkle on Bleu Cheese
and poke into the cheesecake.

Bake at 350 F. for 1 hour.

Caramelize some sugar, add toasted pecans and sprinkle/ladle over
the cheesecake once it's chilled.

Joseph Littleshoes

Shaun aRe wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> > > Oh Yeah another bleu addict in the making!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > > How about a nice big wheel of bleu cheese from

> Wisconisn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Is Wisconsin blue cheese good. I usually get Danish Blue, but also

> love
> > Roquefort and Gorgonzola, and another Italian creamy blue cheese

> whose
> > name escapes me at the moment.

> My personal favourites in order:
>
> Very mature Blue Stilton.
> Good Roquefort.
> Strong Danish Blue.
> And the local - Garstang Blue Lancashire!
> Gorgonzola.
>
> But then again, I've not tried 'every' blue cheese out there yet
> ',;~}~
>
> Shaun aRe

There's an Oregon blue made with goats milk that is almost but not quite
too strongly flavoured for my taste. One of my favourite uses contains
along with the pasta, butter and nutmeg both blue and
brie cheese in a mac and cheese, the original recipe i ran across was in
a french cook book but was called "macaroni a l'Italienne".

I often toss a green salad with walnut or avocado oil, a bit of lime
juice and sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese.

Blue in a crepe, with scrambled eggs or in an omelette, as a filling
with spinach for ravioli, part of the ingredients for stuffing a piece
of meat, "a cordon blue" with a beaten piece of chicken and ham diped in
batter and deep fried, a grilled cheese sandwich made with blue is very
nice but i toast the bread first and have it under the broiler just long
enough to melt the cheese, an heretical Welsh rarebit made with blue
rather than cheddar cheese, sprinkled over fresh green beans, with
pears, a "coquilles de saumon blue" is nice, or any sort of vol au
vent, or tartlet case filed with various meats, veggies or fruits and a
judicious addition of blue cheese, of course to the blue cheese lover
just about any food benefits from the use of the blue cheese.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Joseph Littleshoes

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

> Shaun aRe wrote:

> > Wisconisn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > Is Wisconsin blue cheese good. I usually get Danish Blue, but also

> > love
> > > Roquefort and Gorgonzola, and another Italian creamy blue cheese

> > whose
> > > name escapes me at the moment.

> > My personal favourites in order:
> >
> > Very mature Blue Stilton.
> > Good Roquefort.
> > Strong Danish Blue.
> > And the local - Garstang Blue Lancashire!
> > Gorgonzola.
> >
> > But then again, I've not tried 'every' blue cheese out there yet
> > ',;~}~
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> There's an Oregon blue made with

I almost forgot "Juustotahna" a Finnish recipe.

Juustotahna (blue cheese balls)
-------------------------------------

1 & 1/2 cups crumbled blue cheese (roquefort, gorgonzola or a Danish
blue)

3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature

1/4 tsp. Tabasco or other hot sauce

1 tbs. minced onion

1 cup finely chopped toasted almonds

Mash the blue cheese with a fork until smooth. Add the butter, Tabasco,
and onion. Blend well. Form into walnut sized balls. Roll the balls
in the chopped almonds. The cheese mixture will be a bit soft and
sticky, but you should be able to perfect the shape of the balls once
they have almonds on them. Mound the balls in a pretty
bowl, cover and chill.

Serve on a cheese board with crackers or bread and sliced cherry
tomatoes or radishes.
---
JL

> goats milk that is almost but not quite
> too strongly flavoured for my taste. One of my favourite uses
> contains
> along with the pasta, butter and nutmeg both blue and
> brie cheese in a mac and cheese, the original recipe i ran across was
> in
> a french cook book but was called "macaroni a l'Italienne".
>
> I often toss a green salad with walnut or avocado oil, a bit of lime
> juice and sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese.
>
> Blue in a crepe, with scrambled eggs or in an omelette, as a filling
> with spinach for ravioli, part of the ingredients for stuffing a piece
>
> of meat, "a cordon blue" with a beaten piece of chicken and ham diped
> in
> batter and deep fried, a grilled cheese sandwich made with blue is
> very
> nice but i toast the bread first and have it under the broiler just
> long
> enough to melt the cheese, an heretical Welsh rarebit made with blue
> rather than cheddar cheese, sprinkled over fresh green beans, with
> pears, a "coquilles de saumon blue" is nice, or any sort of vol au
> vent, or tartlet case filed with various meats, veggies or fruits and
> judicious addition of blue cheese, of course to the blue cheese lover
> just about any food benefits from the use of the blue cheese.
> ---
> Joseph Littleshoes

Shaun aRe

"Joseph Littleshoes" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe wrote:

> > My personal favourites in order:
> >
> > Very mature Blue Stilton.
> > Good Roquefort.
> > Strong Danish Blue.
> > And the local - Garstang Blue Lancashire!
> > Gorgonzola.
> >
> > But then again, I've not tried 'every' blue cheese out there yet
> > ',;~}~
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> There's an Oregon blue made with goats milk that is almost but not quite
> too strongly flavoured for my taste. One of my favourite uses contains
> along with the pasta, butter and nutmeg both blue and
> brie cheese in a mac and cheese, the original recipe i ran across was in
> a french cook book but was called "macaroni a l'Italienne".
>
> I often toss a green salad with walnut or avocado oil, a bit of lime
> juice and sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese.
>
> Blue in a crepe, with scrambled eggs or in an omelette, as a filling
> with spinach for ravioli, part of the ingredients for stuffing a piece
> of meat, "a cordon blue" with a beaten piece of chicken and ham diped in
> batter and deep fried, a grilled cheese sandwich made with blue is very
> nice but i toast the bread first and have it under the broiler just long
> enough to melt the cheese, an heretical Welsh rarebit made with blue
> rather than cheddar cheese, sprinkled over fresh green beans, with
> pears, a "coquilles de saumon blue" is nice, or any sort of vol au
> vent, or tartlet case filed with various meats, veggies or fruits and a
> judicious addition of blue cheese, of course to the blue cheese lover
> just about any food benefits from the use of the blue cheese.

Heheh, with me it's mainly chiles, but blue cheese is a close second. I like
a version of mushroom stilton bake I've had a few times, but 'I've not made
it like that - it has a nice crumble topping, with finely chopped nuts in
it, and the flavour of those comes out nicely when it's being baked. The
sauce is rich but not too overpowering, with a hint of garlic and good bit
of cracked black pepper in there too, as well as a few thinly julienned
pieces of sweet red capsicum - gorgeous!

Shaun aRe