jmcquown

Default Here's what I'm gonna do

I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long story
short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages of it on the
shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or couldn't) read that
it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His boss is also foreign but is
very literate; he was educated in England. Luckily they'd stored the rest
of the pasta in the back cooler. To thank me for pointing out the problem,
he gave me a free package pound of the (good) pasta which promptly went into
my freezer.

So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby shrimp (both
from cans) in a basil cream sauce. Not exactly a pesto since I have no pine
nuts or any other kind of nut (other than myself) in the house. I only have
dried oregano but I do have fresh parsley and garlic.

I'll drizzle in olive oil to get the basil, parsley and garlic in the food
processor to the desired texture. Then it goes into a pan with some cream
(again to the desired texture). I'll heat this up gently and add the
drained crab meat and shrimp and stir it all into the drained pasta. I do
have fresh Parmesan which I will grate over the top. I'll garnish with
fresh slices of lemon and fresh parsley. Might add a splash of the lemon to
the mixture before I stir it all together... depends on the way it tastes.
Oh, and pepper, of course.

At least I *hope* I can do this. Thunderstorms are moving in and for all I
know at this point I'll be eating cold canned beans for dinner. <G>

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Andy

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> At least I *hope* I can do this. Thunderstorms are moving in and for
> all I know at this point I'll be eating cold canned beans for dinner.
> <G>

That sounds delicious. It's great that you improvise so well. I can't.
Anyway, maybe add a splash of wine to your sauce?

Put out the fine china, get the candlabras out and the good flatware and
have a great candlelight dinner!

I'm having a whole roast chicken using the giant corn-cobb holders
method. [sigh]

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)
jmcquown

Andy wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> At least I *hope* I can do this. Thunderstorms are moving in and for
>> all I know at this point I'll be eating cold canned beans for dinner.
>> <G>

> That sounds delicious. It's great that you improvise so well. I can't.

I've had almost 30 years to learn how to improvise

> Anyway, maybe add a splash of wine to your sauce?

I would if I had some... darn, I knew I should have bought some wine! But
then I'd have drunk most of it, except for that cup or two, and then dinner
would be put off until tomorrow, electricity or not. <G>

It just occurred to me I could add some broccoli florets (from frozen) too,
and I even have some carrots (fresh) I could grate and saute with the
broccoli and add to the pot. I'm not a huge fan of carrots but they do add
colour and if they aren't in big chunks I don't mind them.

> Put out the fine china, get the candlabras out and the good flatware
> and have a great candlelight dinner!

EEEK! Then I'd have to hand-wash the china! What are you, some kinda nut?!
(teasing)

> I'm having a whole roast chicken using the giant corn-cobb holders
> method. [sigh]
>

> Andy

You mean a rotisserie? I don't have one of those. But oven-roasted chicken
is one of the few ways I like it.

Jill

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "jmcquown"
> wrote:
(snip)

> So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby shrimp

> Jill

It all sounds quite wonderful!
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Andy

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> You mean a rotisserie? I don't have one of those. But oven-roasted
> chicken is one of the few ways I like it.

Actually, Jill, it was a stretch of my imagination. A roasted chicken
with a giant corn cobb holder in the neck and the butt and me eating it
like a cobb of corn. Sorry if I caused you any lapse of rationale!

Andy

--
"Ladies and gentlemen, The Beatles!"
- Ed Sullivan (1964)

Dimitri

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long story
> short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages of it on the
> shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or couldn't) read that
> it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His boss is also foreign but is
> very literate; he was educated in England. Luckily they'd stored the rest
> of the pasta in the back cooler. To thank me for pointing out the problem,
> he gave me a free package pound of the (good) pasta which promptly went into
> my freezer.
>
> So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby shrimp (both
> from cans) in a basil cream sauce. Not exactly a pesto since I have no pine
> nuts or any other kind of nut (other than myself) in the house. I only have
> dried oregano but I do have fresh parsley and garlic.
>
> I'll drizzle in olive oil to get the basil, parsley and garlic in the food
> processor to the desired texture. Then it goes into a pan with some cream
> (again to the desired texture). I'll heat this up gently and add the
> drained crab meat and shrimp and stir it all into the drained pasta. I do
> have fresh Parmesan which I will grate over the top. I'll garnish with
> fresh slices of lemon and fresh parsley. Might add a splash of the lemon to
> the mixture before I stir it all together... depends on the way it tastes.
> Oh, and pepper, of course.
>
> At least I *hope* I can do this. Thunderstorms are moving in and for all I
> know at this point I'll be eating cold canned beans for dinner. <G>
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

If it ain't too late hold the cheese. It can very easily overpower the
shellfish.

Dimitri

Rona Y.

(piggy-backing)
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long
>> story short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages
>> of it on the shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or
>> couldn't) read that it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His
>> boss is also foreign but is very literate; he was educated in
>> England.

Your prejudices are showing again...

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the
energy to go back. We call them Canadians." ---Grover Norquist in
Newsweek, November 22, 2004

Elaine Parrish

Would you like to have a covered dish dinner at my house? I'll supply the
plates. <g>

Elaine, too

On Fri, 13 May 2005, jmcquown wrote:

> I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long story
> short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages of it on the
> shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or couldn't) read that
> it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His boss is also foreign but is
> very literate; he was educated in England. Luckily they'd stored the rest
> of the pasta in the back cooler. To thank me for pointing out the problem,
> he gave me a free package pound of the (good) pasta which promptly went into
> my freezer.
>
> So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby shrimp (both
> from cans) in a basil cream sauce. Not exactly a pesto since I have no pine
> nuts or any other kind of nut (other than myself) in the house. I only have
> dried oregano but I do have fresh parsley and garlic.
>
> I'll drizzle in olive oil to get the basil, parsley and garlic in the food
> processor to the desired texture. Then it goes into a pan with some cream
> (again to the desired texture). I'll heat this up gently and add the
> drained crab meat and shrimp and stir it all into the drained pasta. I do
> have fresh Parmesan which I will grate over the top. I'll garnish with
> fresh slices of lemon and fresh parsley. Might add a splash of the lemon to
> the mixture before I stir it all together... depends on the way it tastes.
> Oh, and pepper, of course.
>
> At least I *hope* I can do this. Thunderstorms are moving in and for all I
> know at this point I'll be eating cold canned beans for dinner. <G>
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby
>> shrimp (both from cans) in a basil cream sauce. Not exactly a pesto
>> since I have no pine nuts or any other kind of nut (other than
>> myself) in the house. I only have dried oregano but I do have fresh
>> parsley and garlic.
>>
>> I'll drizzle in olive oil to get the basil, parsley and garlic in
>> the food processor to the desired texture. Then it goes into a pan
>> with some cream (again to the desired texture). I'll heat this up
>> gently and add the drained crab meat and shrimp and stir it all into
>> the drained pasta. I do have fresh Parmesan which I will grate over
>> the top. I'll garnish with fresh slices of lemon and fresh parsley.
>> Might add a splash of the lemon to the mixture before I stir it all
>> together... depends on the way it tastes. Oh, and pepper, of course.
>>
>> Jill
>> --
>> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

> If it ain't too late hold the cheese. It can very easily overpower the
> shellfish.
>
> Dimitri

It didn't I also added grated lemon zest, sauteed broccoli and carrot to
add colour to the dish. It's delicious! I'll do this again.

Jill

jmcquown

Rona Y. wrote:
> (piggy-backing)
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> I was given a package of Contadina "fresh" angel-hair pasta. Long
>>> story short, the foreign guy at the store stocked about 6 packages
>>> of it on the shelf along with the dried pasta because he didn't (or
>>> couldn't) read that it said "must be refrigerated or frozen". His
>>> boss is also foreign but is very literate; he was educated in
>>> England.

> Your prejudices are showing again...

Not prejudice, simply a statement of fact. If you talked to this man (Ali)
you'd see for yourself he barely speaks/reads English. I pointed out to him
it needed to be refrigerated. The next day it was still on the shelf.
That's when I told his more literate boss (Abdul) the same thing. He read
the package and promptly removed the (by then dried out and unsaleable)
pasta from the shelf and gave me a free package from the cooler as a thank
you.

Would it have been better for me to ignore it and let them lose an entire
case of the stuff because Ali can't read English? Better to leave them
wondering if they shouldn't stock it because no one would buy it in that
condition?

If that's prejudice then I should have kept my mouth shut and let them lose
a bunch of money. Maybe if I behaved that way I could single-handedly run
them out of business by letting their products rot on the shelves. Yeah,
that's the ticket.

You truly have no clue about me and I'll thank you to avoid slapping labels
on me.

Jill

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

>Rona Y. wrote:
>> (piggy-backing)

>> Your prejudices are showing again...

>Not prejudice, simply a statement of fact.

I think Jill's biggest crime is including too much information when she
posts. I told her so in e-mail, and I think she's taking it to heart. I
know her pretty well. I think she's more detail-oriented than prejudiced.
She shops at that store several times a week. I don't think she'd do that
if she had a problem with the people who work there.

Just my 50 cents.
Carol
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> "jmcquown" > said:
>
>> Rona Y. wrote:
>>> (piggy-backing)
>>>
>>> Your prejudices are showing again...

>> Not prejudice, simply a statement of fact.

> I think Jill's biggest crime is including too much information when
> she posts. I told her so in e-mail, and I think she's taking it to
> heart. I know her pretty well. I think she's more detail-oriented
> than prejudiced. She shops at that store several times a week. I
> don't think she'd do that if she had a problem with the people who
> work there.
>
> Just my 50 cents.
> Carol

Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week because
if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to eat? And the
Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm sensitive to the fact
these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat pork. They are very nice people.

Jill

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

>Damsel wrote:
>>
>> I think Jill's biggest crime is including too much information when
>> she posts. I told her so in e-mail, and I think she's taking it to
>> heart. I know her pretty well. I think she's more detail-oriented
>> than prejudiced. She shops at that store several times a week. I
>> don't think she'd do that if she had a problem with the people who
>> work there.
>>
>> Just my 50 cents.
>> Carol

>Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week because
>if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to eat? And the
>Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm sensitive to the fact
>these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat pork. They are very nice people.

I know the real reason you didn't include Italian sausage in the soup.
It's because you hate Italians! I know you!

Carol
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> "jmcquown" > said:
>
>> Damsel wrote:
>>>
>>> I think Jill's biggest crime is including too much information when
>>> she posts. I told her so in e-mail, and I think she's taking it to
>>> heart. I know her pretty well. I think she's more detail-oriented
>>> than prejudiced. She shops at that store several times a week. I
>>> don't think she'd do that if she had a problem with the people who
>>> work there.
>>>
>>> Just my 50 cents.
>>> Carol

>> Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week
>> because if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to
>> eat? And the Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm
>> sensitive to the fact these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat
>> pork. They are very nice people.

> I know the real reason you didn't include Italian sausage in the soup.
> It's because you hate Italians! I know you!
>
> Carol

LOL! Yep, and I won't eat pasta, either, for that very reason! Nor do I eat
Bratwurst because I hate Germans. I'm just one flaming prejudiced person
who will only eat Haggis and blood sausage. <G>

Jill

jmcquown

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> Would you like to have a covered dish dinner at my house? I'll supply
> the plates. <g>
>
> Elaine, too

Does this qualify as a "covered dish"? Hmmm. Maybe if I covered it <G>
I'm thinking I could certainly have put in in a covered casserole and baked
it just to warm.

Jill

> On Fri, 13 May 2005, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby
>> shrimp (both from cans) in a basil cream sauce. Not exactly a pesto
>> since I have no pine nuts or any other kind of nut (other than
>> myself) in the house. I only have dried oregano but I do have fresh
>> parsley and garlic.
>>
>> I'll drizzle in olive oil to get the basil, parsley and garlic in
>> the food processor to the desired texture. Then it goes into a pan
>> with some cream (again to the desired texture). I'll heat this up
>> gently and add the drained crab meat and shrimp and stir it all into
>> the drained pasta. I do have fresh Parmesan which I will grate over
>> the top.

Dee Randall

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> Dimitri wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby
>>> shrimp (both from cans) in a basil cream sauce. Not exactly a pesto
>>> since I have no pine nuts or any other kind of nut (other than
>>> myself) in the house. I only have dried oregano but I do have fresh
>>> parsley and garlic.
>>>
>>> I'll drizzle in olive oil to get the basil, parsley and garlic in
>>> the food processor to the desired texture. Then it goes into a pan
>>> with some cream (again to the desired texture). I'll heat this up
>>> gently and add the drained crab meat and shrimp and stir it all into
>>> the drained pasta. I do have fresh Parmesan which I will grate over
>>> the top. I'll garnish with fresh slices of lemon and fresh parsley.
>>> Might add a splash of the lemon to the mixture before I stir it all
>>> together... depends on the way it tastes. Oh, and pepper, of course.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>> --
>>> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

>> If it ain't too late hold the cheese. It can very easily overpower the
>> shellfish.
>>
>> Dimitri

> It didn't I also added grated lemon zest, sauteed broccoli and carrot
> add colour to the dish. It's delicious! I'll do this again.
>
> Jill

I agree about cheese and shellfish, there is something about it that you
think it probably goes together in a mixed oven-casserole-type dish, but
fish and cheese never seems to agree with me.
Dee

Rona Y.

Damsel wrote:

> I think Jill's biggest crime is including too much information when
> she posts. I told her so in e-mail, and I think she's taking it to
> heart. I know her pretty well. I think she's more detail-oriented
> than prejudiced. She shops at that store several times a week. I
> don't think she'd do that if she had a problem with the people who
> work there.
>
> Just my 50 cents.
> Carol

That ranks right up there with "I'm not prejudiced...some of my best friends
are (fill in the ethnicity here)." Which, by the way, is quite similar to
an argument she has made before.

It isn't that she mentioned the people were "foreign born" (which in itself
is a contentious phrase) that shows her prejudices, it's the implication
that because he was foreign born, he couldn't read or understand that the
pasta should have been refrigerated or frozen (and was therefore
stupid--implied, not stated by the tone of the post--she's so lucky to get
free pasta because some dumbass foreigner couldn't read). That and the
implication that the foreign-born boss is literate *because* he was educated
in England (why mention the latter were it not important?). I know many
North American born people of European descent who are illiterate or not
very competent readers. Should the pasta have been shelved by one of them,
would Jill have mentioned the staff member was "American-born" or even
Caucasian? Or that the person might not have been literate?

There are some stories where ethnicity *is* important. For example, when
the Filipino salesman tried to sell some kind of furniture cleaner to a
business. He kept asking them to "look at my penis." Since certain groups
of Filipinos pronounce "f" as "p" and the "sh" sound as "s", and short "i"
as long "i", by knowing that he was Filipino, you can understand what he
was really saying. In that case, that he was not a native speaker of
English is essential to the story. In Jill's case, this is not so.

FWIW, I think everyone has prejudices--*everyone* (and if I say someone has
prejudices, it does not mean I think they're racist). It's what you do with
those prejudices that matters. Do you pretend they don't exist and continue
making statements that offend people (because you're too
obtuse/insensitive/self-centered to notice your remarks are offensive)? Or
do you recognize them, accept them and do your best to conquer or control
them? Most people seem to fall into the first category (or the third
category, where you openly recognize your prejudices and thrive on them) and
IMO, Jill is most definitely in that first category. Note that this is not
the first time Jill has made an offensive ethnically-biased statement on
this ng. It's not that she's detail-oriented, it's that she's ignorant of
her own prejudices.

If anyone is interested, Milton Bennett's works on intercultural competence
are excellent reads--particularly his model of intercultural senstivity (he
has six stages, as opposed to my simplistic three categories--I'm much more
judgmental than he).

rona

Newsweek, November 22, 2004

kilikini

jmcquown wrote:
> Damsel wrote:

>>> Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week
>>> because if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to
>>> eat? And the Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm
>>> sensitive to the fact these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat
>>> pork. They are very nice people.

>> I know the real reason you didn't include Italian sausage in the
>> soup. It's because you hate Italians! I know you!
>>
>> Carol

> LOL! Yep, and I won't eat pasta, either, for that very reason! Nor
> do I eat Bratwurst because I hate Germans. I'm just one flaming
> prejudiced person who will only eat Haggis and blood sausage. <G>
>
> Jill

And you don't eat chowder because you hate people from New England. Come
on, tell the truth!

kili

kilikini

Rona Y. wrote:
> Damsel wrote:
>

> That ranks right up there with "I'm not prejudiced...some of my best
> friends are (fill in the ethnicity here)." Which, by the way, is
> quite similar to an argument she has made before.
>
> It isn't that she mentioned the people were "foreign born" (which in
> itself is a contentious phrase) that shows her prejudices, it's the
> implication that because he was foreign born, he couldn't read or
> understand that the pasta should have been refrigerated or frozen
> (and was therefore stupid--implied, not stated by the tone of the
> post--she's so lucky to get free pasta because some dumbass foreigner
> couldn't read). That and the implication that the foreign-born boss
> is literate *because* he was educated in England (why mention the
> latter were it not important?). I know many North American born
> people of European descent who are illiterate or not very competent
> readers. Should the pasta have been shelved by one of them, would
> Jill have mentioned the staff member was "American-born" or even
> Caucasian? Or that the person might not have been literate?

I'm not prejudiced either, but I would have probably included some sort of
ethniticity in explanation to the story if I told it too. The fact remains
that the store attendant couldn't read English and the pasta wasn't put in
the refrigerator. His partner/boss *could* read English, however.

Ultimately, to thank her for pointing out their faux pas, she got some free
pasta! What's the big deal? Kudos to Jill!

kili

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> Rona Y. wrote:
>> Damsel wrote:
>>

>> That ranks right up there with "I'm not prejudiced...some of my best
>> friends are (fill in the ethnicity here)." Which, by the way, is
>> quite similar to an argument she has made before.
>>
>> It isn't that she mentioned the people were "foreign born" (which in
>> itself is a contentious phrase) that shows her prejudices, it's the
>> implication that because he was foreign born, he couldn't read or
>> understand that the pasta should have been refrigerated or frozen
>> (and was therefore stupid--implied, not stated by the tone of the
>> post--she's so lucky to get free pasta because some dumbass foreigner
>> couldn't read). That and the implication that the foreign-born boss
>> is literate *because* he was educated in England (why mention the
>> latter were it not important?). I know many North American born
>> people of European descent who are illiterate or not very competent
>> readers. Should the pasta have been shelved by one of them, would
>> Jill have mentioned the staff member was "American-born" or even
>> Caucasian? Or that the person might not have been literate?
>>

> I'm not prejudiced either, but I would have probably included some
> sort of ethniticity in explanation to the story if I told it too.

And yes, I would have mentioned it even if the guy was American and couldn't
read.

> The fact remains that the store attendant couldn't read English and
> the pasta wasn't put in the refrigerator.

And I even showed him on the label "must be refrigerated or frozen" AND
pointed to the cooler case where they store cheeses, bacon, etc. He
obviously didn't understand me because the alternative would be he chose to
ignore me, which would just be stupid since it's his cousin's store.
Whatever.

His partner/boss *could*
> read English, however.
>
> Ultimately, to thank her for pointing out their faux pas, she got
> some free pasta! What's the big deal? Kudos to Jill!
>
> kili

Thank you, kili.

Jill

Margaret Suran

jmcquown wrote:
> kilikini wrote:
>
>>read English, however.
>>
>>Ultimately, to thank her for pointing out their faux pas, she got
>>some free pasta! What's the big deal? Kudos to Jill!
>>
>>kili

> Thank you, kili.
>
> Jill

Just wait until someone sees your post about your dislike for blue
cheeses, while showing a marked preference for the white ones. This
will certainly merit some attention from some posters, who will point
out your prejudice in that matter.
kilikini

Margaret Suran wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> kilikini wrote:
>>
>>> read English, however.
>>>
>>> Ultimately, to thank her for pointing out their faux pas, she got
>>> some free pasta! What's the big deal? Kudos to Jill!
>>>
>>> kili

>> Thank you, kili.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Just wait until someone sees your post about your dislike for blue
> cheeses, while showing a marked preference for the white ones. This
> will certainly merit some attention from some posters, who will point
> out your prejudice in that matter.

Oh, no! I don't care for blue cheese either! Well, Jill and I can go hide
in a corner now. :~)

kili

Lynne A

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .

> > I know the real reason you didn't include Italian sausage in the soup.
> > It's because you hate Italians! I know you!
> >
> > Carol

> LOL! Yep, and I won't eat pasta, either, for that very reason! Nor do I

eat
> Bratwurst because I hate Germans. I'm just one flaming prejudiced person
> who will only eat Haggis and blood sausage. <G>
>
> Jill

EWWWWWW!

Lynne A

Margaret Suran

kilikini wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:

>>>Thank you, kili.
>>>
>>>Jill
>>>

>>Just wait until someone sees your post about your dislike for blue
>>cheeses, while showing a marked preference for the white ones. This
>>will certainly merit some attention from some posters, who will point
>>out your prejudice in that matter.

> Oh, no! I don't care for blue cheese either! Well, Jill and I can go hide
> in a corner now. :~)
>
> kili

Make room for me, too. I do not like blue cheeses and goat and sheep
cheeses even less. Please, do not tell anybody. )
jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Thank you, kili.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> Just wait until someone sees your post about your dislike for blue
>> cheeses, while showing a marked preference for the white ones. This
>> will certainly merit some attention from some posters, who will point
>> out your prejudice in that matter.

> Oh, no! I don't care for blue cheese either! Well, Jill and I can
> go hide in a corner now. :~)
>
> kili

Oh shoot, and I only buy white lightbulbs. They do make black ones but I
gave up those drugs a long time ago

Jill

Damsel

"Rona Y." > said:

>Damsel wrote:
>
>> I think Jill's biggest crime is including too much information when
>> she posts. I told her so in e-mail, and I think she's taking it to
>> heart. I know her pretty well. I think she's more detail-oriented
>> than prejudiced. She shops at that store several times a week. I
>> don't think she'd do that if she had a problem with the people who
>> work there.

>That ranks right up there with "I'm not prejudiced...some of my best friends
>are (fill in the ethnicity here)." Which, by the way, is quite similar to
>an argument she has made before.
>
>It isn't that she mentioned the people were "foreign born" (which in itself
>is a contentious phrase) that shows her prejudices, it's the implication
>that because he was foreign born, he couldn't read or understand that the
>pasta should have been refrigerated or frozen (and was therefore
>stupid--implied, not stated by the tone of the post--she's so lucky to get
>free pasta because some dumbass foreigner couldn't read). That and the
>implication that the foreign-born boss is literate *because* he was educated
>in England (why mention the latter were it not important?). I know many
>North American born people of European descent who are illiterate or not
>very competent readers. Should the pasta have been shelved by one of them,
>would Jill have mentioned the staff member was "American-born" or even
>Caucasian? Or that the person might not have been literate?
>
>There are some stories where ethnicity *is* important. For example, when
>the Filipino salesman tried to sell some kind of furniture cleaner to a
>business. He kept asking them to "look at my penis." Since certain groups
>of Filipinos pronounce "f" as "p" and the "sh" sound as "s", and short "i"
>as long "i", by knowing that he was Filipino, you can understand what he
>was really saying. In that case, that he was not a native speaker of
>English is essential to the story. In Jill's case, this is not so.
>
>FWIW, I think everyone has prejudices--*everyone* (and if I say someone has
>prejudices, it does not mean I think they're racist). It's what you do with
>those prejudices that matters. Do you pretend they don't exist and continue
>making statements that offend people (because you're too
>obtuse/insensitive/self-centered to notice your remarks are offensive)? Or
>do you recognize them, accept them and do your best to conquer or control
>them? Most people seem to fall into the first category (or the third
>category, where you openly recognize your prejudices and thrive on them) and
>IMO, Jill is most definitely in that first category. Note that this is not
>the first time Jill has made an offensive ethnically-biased statement on
>this ng. It's not that she's detail-oriented, it's that she's ignorant of
>her own prejudices.

That could be. Could be true of a lot of us. The thing with Jill is,
she's a very kind person. She just doesn't always communicate in the best
way. She's someone who is very open to constructive criticism. I do it
all the time, and she has never disregarded my suggestions. This is the
letter I wrote to her last night, after your previous post (I am posting
this with the highest degree of certainty that she won't mind my doing so):

I don't think you're prejudiced, but sometimes you appear to be. My advice
- if the race or language of someone you're writing about isn't mandatory
to get the point across, omit it.

If I'd written your post, I'd have mentioned that the stock guy didn't
speak or read much English, but that when you talked to the (non-described)
owner, the situation was rectified.

I know you mean no harm. But that's because I actually know you. To
someone who doesn't know what kind of a person you are, that post could
sound condescending.

I really, really hope you're not ****ed off at me now. I'm just providing
my perspective. I know your heart. It's not hateful.

She did get back to me to reassure me that she wasn't ****ed off, and that
she understood what I was saying. I know that she'll edit her posts more
carefully in the future. If you look at any of Jill's longer posts, you'll
likely notice that she includes a lot of (don't get mad, Jill) basically
irrelevant information. But she's trying to tell a story, and create a
picture. She's sharing her life experiences. She's being generous with
herself.

This is my last post defending Jill. She has vowed to pay closer attention
to what she posts, and I know that she'll honor that vow. She's done that
with every suggestion I've made to her in the past. Jill's word is her
bond.

Carol
Damsel

Margaret Suran > said:

>Just wait until someone sees your post about your dislike for blue
>cheeses, while showing a marked preference for the white ones. This
>will certainly merit some attention from some posters, who will point
>out your prejudice in that matter.

I don't like blue cheese, either, but I do like Oompa-Loompas, so I don't
think I have a strong issue with the color blue. I like white, orange,
orange with red swirls, and both white and orange with various dots in
them. Just not blue dots. I hope I'm not a closet bigot.

Carol
Damsel

Margaret Suran > said:

>Make room for me, too. I do not like blue cheeses and goat and sheep
>cheeses even less. Please, do not tell anybody. )

So you don't like cheese from short mammals. What's that all about? I
suppose your favorite animal is a giraffe, isn't it? What you must think
of bunny rabbits.

Carol, shaking her head
Gal Called Jani

One time on Usenet, "Rona Y." > said:

> it's the implication
> that because he was foreign born, he couldn't read or understand that the
> pasta should have been refrigerated or frozen (and was therefore
> stupid--implied, not stated by the tone of the post--she's so lucky to get
> free pasta because some dumbass foreigner couldn't read).

<snip>

Funny, my take on her comment was that the fellow had a very good
reason for not reading English -- he wasn't born here. I didn't think
she implied that being non-American made him "stupid". Maybe predjudice
is in the eye of the reader...

--
Jani in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
kilikini

Gal Called Jani wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "Rona Y." > said:
>
>> it's the implication
>> that because he was foreign born, he couldn't read or understand
>> that the pasta should have been refrigerated or frozen (and was
>> therefore stupid--implied, not stated by the tone of the post--she's
>> so lucky to get free pasta because some dumbass foreigner couldn't
>> read).

> <snip>
>
> Funny, my take on her comment was that the fellow had a very good
> reason for not reading English -- he wasn't born here. I didn't think
> she implied that being non-American made him "stupid". Maybe
> predjudice
> is in the eye of the reader...

High five, Jani! I'm in total agreement with you.

kili

Chris Neidecker

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week
> because
> if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to eat? And the
> Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm sensitive to
> the fact
> these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat pork. They are very nice
> people.

Jill -- you brought soup to the guys who work at the store? That's
really nice! I'll be it made their day.

Chris

Elaine Parrish

On Sun, 15 May 2005, kilikini wrote:

> Gal Called Jani wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, "Rona Y." > said:
> >
> >> it's the implication
> >> that because he was foreign born, he couldn't read or understand
> >> that the pasta should have been refrigerated or frozen (and was
> >> therefore stupid--implied, not stated by the tone of the post--she's
> >> so lucky to get free pasta because some dumbass foreigner couldn't
> >> read).

> > <snip>
> >
> > Funny, my take on her comment was that the fellow had a very good
> > reason for not reading English -- he wasn't born here. I didn't think
> > she implied that being non-American made him "stupid". Maybe
> > predjudice
> > is in the eye of the reader...

> High five, Jani! I'm in total agreement with you.
>
> kili

Add me to the list, too. I thought the reply rant was way over the top. I
didn't see prejudice in the original post. It seemed to me that she
relayed the incident factually. There was no racial slur. She didn't make
fun of them. She didn't group the entire nationally in to some illogical
category. She shops there all the time, so she doesn't hate them. It is
not at all unusual to find non-native speakers having trouble with the
language. We have a lot of people in this country that were born here
several generations over that can't read or write well or not at all.
Those that come here from other countries do an amazing job of learning
our very complicated language - to speak, to read, and to write - without
the benefit of formal education that would teach them as we were taught as
children - one step at a time. But some of them don't. Maybe they would be
poor students in their native land - as we have an overabundance of
native born who are. If we have native born people that -for dozens of
reasons - cannot learn the language of their birth, it is not unreasonable
to expect that those who are new here might be having some problems. I
think what she did was very compassionate. She could have let the store
lose the entire shipment.

Elaine, too

cathyxyz

Elaine Parrish wrote:

>>><snip>
>>>
>>>Funny, my take on her comment was that the fellow had a very good
>>>reason for not reading English -- he wasn't born here. I didn't think
>>>she implied that being non-American made him "stupid". Maybe
>>>predjudice
>>>is in the eye of the reader...

>>High five, Jani! I'm in total agreement with you.
>>
>>kili
>>

> Add me to the list, too. I thought the reply rant was way over the top. I
> didn't see prejudice in the original post. It seemed to me that she
> relayed the incident factually. There was no racial slur. She didn't make
> fun of them. She didn't group the entire nationally in to some illogical
> category. She shops there all the time, so she doesn't hate them. It is
> not at all unusual to find non-native speakers having trouble with the
> language. We have a lot of people in this country that were born here
> several generations over that can't read or write well or not at all.

Yes, that's what went thru my mind. Hard to believe isn't it. Imagine
not being able to read or write (in ANY country or language). Life must
be so difficult... Those that can don't realize this.

Those that come here from other countries do an amazing job of learning
> our very complicated language - to speak, to read, and to write - without
> the benefit of formal education that would teach them as we were taught as
> children - one step at a time. But some of them don't. Maybe they would be
> poor students in their native land - as we have an overabundance of
> native born who are. If we have native born people that -for dozens of
> reasons - cannot learn the language of their birth, it is not unreasonable
> to expect that those who are new here might be having some problems. I
> think what she did was very compassionate. She could have let the store
> lose the entire shipment.
>
> Elaine, too

English of any flavor/flavour (see what I mean) is very difficult to
learn as a second language. It is not always phonetic (shouldn't that be
fonetic) and that causes great problems for people of non-English
speaking countries to learn.

As far as I am concerned I don't think the original post was offensive
either - See Jill, now you can sleep tonight

Cathy - who just did a spell check on this with her English/United
States spell checker
jmcquown

Chris Neidecker wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week
>> because
>> if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to eat? And
>> the Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm sensitive
>> to the fact
>> these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat pork. They are very nice
>> people.
>>

> Jill -- you brought soup to the guys who work at the store? That's
> really nice! I'll be it made their day.
>
> Chris

I did! Mik and Ali were very happy to get it. See? I am kind of a nice
person after all

Jill

jmcquown

Dee Randall wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Dimitri wrote:

I do have fresh Parmesan which I will

>>> If it ain't too late hold the cheese. It can very easily overpower
>>> the shellfish.
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> It didn't I also added grated lemon zest, sauteed broccoli and
>> carrot to
>> add colour to the dish. It's delicious! I'll do this again.
>>
>> Jill

> I agree about cheese and shellfish, there is something about it that
> you think it probably goes together in a mixed oven-casserole-type
> dish, but fish and cheese never seems to agree with me.
> Dee

I certainly wouldn't top shellfish by itself (i.e. lobster tail, scallops,
shrimp) with cheese. But in a cream sauced pasta dish it works for me.
YMMV.

Jill

Damsel

"jmcquown" > said:

>See? I am kind of a nice person after all

Yeah, but you still don't like blue cheese.

Carol
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
> "jmcquown" > said:
>
>> See? I am kind of a nice person after all

> Yeah, but you still don't like blue cheese.
>
> Carol

True. I don't like pink and green fuzzy stuff growing in my leftovers in
the fridge, either, but it's been known to happen

Jill

Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, "jmcquown"
> > wrote:
> (snip)
>
> > So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby shrimp

> > Jill

> It all sounds quite wonderful!

So, how was it?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article >, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>> (snip)
>>
>>> So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby
>>> shrimp

>>> Jill

>> It all sounds quite wonderful!

> So, how was it?

Delicious! I sauteed frozen broccoli florets and grated carrot in a tiny
bit of olive oil and added it to the pasta sauce. I'll definitely be doing
this again

Jill