Old 15-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Chris Neidecker

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week
because
if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to eat? And the
Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm sensitive to
the fact
these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat pork. They are very nice
people.

Jill -- you brought soup to the guys who work at the store? That's
really nice! I'll be it made their day.

Chris

Old 15-05-2005, 08:34 AM
Elaine Parrish

On Sun, 15 May 2005, kilikini wrote:

Gal Called Jani wrote:
One time on Usenet, "Rona Y." said:

it's the implication
that because he was foreign born, he couldn't read or understand
that the pasta should have been refrigerated or frozen (and was
therefore stupid--implied, not stated by the tone of the post--she's
so lucky to get free pasta because some dumbass foreigner couldn't
read).

snip

Funny, my take on her comment was that the fellow had a very good
reason for not reading English -- he wasn't born here. I didn't think
she implied that being non-American made him "stupid". Maybe
predjudice
is in the eye of the reader...

High five, Jani! I'm in total agreement with you.

kili

Add me to the list, too. I thought the reply rant was way over the top. I
didn't see prejudice in the original post. It seemed to me that she
relayed the incident factually. There was no racial slur. She didn't make
fun of them. She didn't group the entire nationally in to some illogical
category. She shops there all the time, so she doesn't hate them. It is
not at all unusual to find non-native speakers having trouble with the
language. We have a lot of people in this country that were born here
several generations over that can't read or write well or not at all.
Those that come here from other countries do an amazing job of learning
our very complicated language - to speak, to read, and to write - without
the benefit of formal education that would teach them as we were taught as
children - one step at a time. But some of them don't. Maybe they would be
poor students in their native land - as we have an overabundance of
native born who are. If we have native born people that -for dozens of
reasons - cannot learn the language of their birth, it is not unreasonable
to expect that those who are new here might be having some problems. I
think what she did was very compassionate. She could have let the store
lose the entire shipment.

Elaine, too

Old 15-05-2005, 11:13 AM
cathyxyz

Elaine Parrish wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's what went thru my mind. Hard to believe isn't it. Imagine
not being able to read or write (in ANY country or language). Life must
be so difficult... Those that can don't realize this.

Those that come here from other countries do an amazing job of learning
our very complicated language - to speak, to read, and to write - without
the benefit of formal education that would teach them as we were taught as
children - one step at a time. But some of them don't. Maybe they would be
poor students in their native land - as we have an overabundance of
native born who are. If we have native born people that -for dozens of
reasons - cannot learn the language of their birth, it is not unreasonable
to expect that those who are new here might be having some problems. I
think what she did was very compassionate. She could have let the store
lose the entire shipment.

Elaine, too

English of any flavor/flavour (see what I mean) is very difficult to
learn as a second language. It is not always phonetic (shouldn't that be
fonetic) and that causes great problems for people of non-English
speaking countries to learn.

As far as I am concerned I don't think the original post was offensive
either - See Jill, now you can sleep tonight

Cathy - who just did a spell check on this with her English/United
States spell checker
Old 15-05-2005, 02:53 PM
jmcquown

Chris Neidecker wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Exactly. Not to mention, I took them dinner (Minestrone) last week
because
if you work from 3-midnight, when do you get a chance to eat? And
the Minestrone did not include Italian sausage because I'm sensitive
to the fact
these guys (who are from Yemen) don't eat pork. They are very nice
people.

Jill -- you brought soup to the guys who work at the store? That's
really nice! I'll be it made their day.

Chris

I did! Mik and Ali were very happy to get it. See? I am kind of a nice
person after all

Jill

Old 15-05-2005, 04:23 PM
jmcquown

Dee Randall wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
.. .
Dimitri wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby
shrimp (both from cans) in a basil cream sauce.

I do have fresh Parmesan which I will
grate over the top.

Jill
--
If it ain't too late hold the cheese. It can very easily overpower
the shellfish.

Dimitri

It didn't I also added grated lemon zest, sauteed broccoli and
carrot to
add colour to the dish. It's delicious! I'll do this again.

Jill

I agree about cheese and shellfish, there is something about it that
you think it probably goes together in a mixed oven-casserole-type
dish, but fish and cheese never seems to agree with me.
Dee

I certainly wouldn't top shellfish by itself (i.e. lobster tail, scallops,
shrimp) with cheese. But in a cream sauced pasta dish it works for me.
YMMV.

Jill

Old 15-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Damsel

"jmcquown" said:

See? I am kind of a nice person after all

Yeah, but you still don't like blue cheese.

Carol
Old 16-05-2005, 03:13 AM
jmcquown

Damsel wrote:
"jmcquown" said:

See? I am kind of a nice person after all

Yeah, but you still don't like blue cheese.

Carol

True. I don't like pink and green fuzzy stuff growing in my leftovers in
the fridge, either, but it's been known to happen

Jill

Old 16-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Melba's Jammin'

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:
(snip)

So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby shrimp

Jill

It all sounds quite wonderful!

So, how was it?
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton
Old 16-05-2005, 07:34 PM
jmcquown

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:
(snip)

So tonight I'm making angel hair pasta with crab meat and baby
shrimp

Jill

It all sounds quite wonderful!

So, how was it?

Delicious! I sauteed frozen broccoli florets and grated carrot in a tiny
bit of olive oil and added it to the pasta sauce. I'll definitely be doing
this again

Jill