Me

Default Tortillas

What's the most efficient way to fold and seal them for enchiladas,
chimichangas, etc. Mine break apart all the time. Thanks, Me

Dimitri

"Me" > wrote in message
> What's the most efficient way to fold and seal them for enchiladas,
> chimichangas, etc. Mine break apart all the time. Thanks, Me

Heat first.

Dimitri

EchoSierra

Corn tortillas make the best enchiladas. Traditionally speaking,
lightly saute them in oil to soften, pat with paper towels to remove
excess oil, fill and roll up - open side down in a baking dish coated
with a bit of enchilada sauce. When your pan is full, top with more
enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

For chimichangas, use medium sized flour tortillas. Soften between
layers of just barely dampened paper towels in the microwave for about
a minute depending on the power of your microwave. Working quickly, put
the filling in the middle and fold the tortilla on one side, then roll
to create a package. Secure with a toothpick and deep fry quickly until
lightly browned. Serve on top of shredded lettuce, garnished with
grated cheese, guacamole, salsa and sour cream

Hope this helps
Ellen

Default User

EchoSierra wrote:
> Corn tortillas make the best enchiladas. Traditionally speaking,
> lightly saute them in oil to soften, pat with paper towels to remove
> excess oil, fill and roll up - open side down in a baking dish coated
> with a bit of enchilada sauce. When your pan is full, top with more
> enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

America's Test Kitchen did enchiladas a few shows back. They put the
torillas on a baking sheet, spritzed them with oil, then heated them in
the oven. I haven't tried that method yet.

Brian

BOB

Dimitri wrote:
:: "Me" > wrote in message
:: ...
::: What's the most efficient way to fold and seal them for
enchiladas,
::: chimichangas, etc. Mine break apart all the time. Thanks, Me
::
:: Heat first.
::
::
:: Dimitri

On a dry, very hot, cast iron skillet.

BOB

Bob

In addition to the 'heat' step ... which probably is the best answer ...
consider the quality of the tortilla.

We have a local tortilla shop here and the tortillas that come from there
are simply great. Comparing grocery store tortillas to these is like
comparing filet to cardboard (well, maybe not that drastic!).

Bob

Elaine Parrish

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Me wrote:

> What's the most efficient way to fold and seal them for enchiladas,
> chimichangas, etc. Mine break apart all the time. Thanks, Me

Are you are talking about corn tortillas for enchiladas (I've never used
corn for chimichangas) that are going to be baked?

I dip my corn tortillas (for enchiladas) in very warm oil until they are
pliable. I use a small cast iron skillet with an inch or so of oil. I heat
it until it is medium and dip the tortillas in one at a a time for just a
few seconds. The tortillas will turn kind of opaque and when held between
the thumb and index finger by a place on the rim, they will be limp and
pliable like a piece of limp lettuce. They roll easily and, put in the
baking dish seam side down, they stay rolled and hold their shape.

If you are using an enchilada sauce, you can heat it and dip your
tortillas in that until they are pliable.

For flour tortillas for chimichangas, I wrap them in a clean, damp cloth,
wrap them in foil and heat in the oven. They "steam" actually. I have
warmed them in a warm, unoiled cast iron skillet or on a griddle. I have
used the cloth wrapped method in the microwave, but bread of all kinds
tends to get tough withing minutes in mine.

Elaine, too

kilikini

EchoSierra wrote:
> Corn tortillas make the best enchiladas. Traditionally speaking,
> lightly saute them in oil to soften, pat with paper towels to remove
> excess oil, fill and roll up - open side down in a baking dish coated
> with a bit of enchilada sauce. When your pan is full, top with more
> enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Yep, Ellen, that's how I do it too. Just a bit of oil goes a long way and
it makes the tortillas very pliable.

kili

Katra

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> EchoSierra wrote:
> > Corn tortillas make the best enchiladas. Traditionally speaking,
> > lightly saute them in oil to soften, pat with paper towels to remove
> > excess oil, fill and roll up - open side down in a baking dish coated
> > with a bit of enchilada sauce. When your pan is full, top with more
> > enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
> >

> Yep, Ellen, that's how I do it too. Just a bit of oil goes a long way and
> it makes the tortillas very pliable.
>
> kili

Ok, I've never made Enchiladas.....

What do you use for "filling"?
Shredded chicken meat maybe, spiced with taco seasoning?

I know I could google for this, but I'd much rather see some original
ideas. ;-) I'd prefer chicken or turkey to beef.

Is it possible to use the M-wave or stovetop instead of the oven?
I store pots and pans in there, so rarely ever use the oven as I have to
clean it out. <lol>

Plus it heats up the house in the summer.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
kilikini

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>

> Ok, I've never made Enchiladas.....
>
> What do you use for "filling"?
> Shredded chicken meat maybe, spiced with taco seasoning?
>
> I know I could google for this, but I'd much rather see some original
> ideas. ;-) I'd prefer chicken or turkey to beef.
>
> Is it possible to use the M-wave or stovetop instead of the oven?
> I store pots and pans in there, so rarely ever use the oven as I have
> to clean it out. <lol>
>
> Plus it heats up the house in the summer.

Enchiladas are really easy; I don't follow a recipe since I usually buy the
canned sauce. What I do (if I'm using chicken) is to shred pre-cooked
chicken and add sauteed onions, garlic, tomatoes, chilis, peppers, what have
you, in the chicken mixture. I put a corn tortilla in a little hot oil to
soften it (5 seconds), flip the tortilla (5 seconds more) and place on a
paper towl. Dry off the tortilla. Fill the middle of the tortilla with a
bit of the chicken mix and top it with cheese. Roll up the tortilla and
repeat with remaining tortillas until you fill your baking dish. Top all
the tortillas with more shredded cheese and add about 2 cans of enchilada
sauce. (Others probably have their own recipe, but........oh well.)

I cover it and bake it at 350 degrees until bubbly. Let it sit and then
serve.

I guess you *could* do it in a microwave if it would heat thoroughly, since
everything is already cooked anyway. I always use my oven - summer or not.

kili

JimLane

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> "kilikini" > wrote:
>

>>EchoSierra wrote:
>>
>>>Corn tortillas make the best enchiladas. Traditionally speaking,
>>>lightly saute them in oil to soften, pat with paper towels to remove
>>>excess oil, fill and roll up - open side down in a baking dish coated
>>>with a bit of enchilada sauce. When your pan is full, top with more
>>>enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
>>>

>>Yep, Ellen, that's how I do it too. Just a bit of oil goes a long way and
>>it makes the tortillas very pliable.
>>
>>kili
>>

> Ok, I've never made Enchiladas.....
>
> What do you use for "filling"?
> Shredded chicken meat maybe, spiced with taco seasoning?
>
> I know I could google for this, but I'd much rather see some original
> ideas. ;-) I'd prefer chicken or turkey to beef.
>
> Is it possible to use the M-wave or stovetop instead of the oven?
> I store pots and pans in there, so rarely ever use the oven as I have to
> clean it out. <lol>
>
> Plus it heats up the house in the summer.

I prefer plain cheese (Monterey jack works as does a mix with cheddar)
with some chopped onions and bits of black olive. Only used an oven.

jim
Katra

In article >,
JimLane > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,

> >>Yep, Ellen, that's how I do it too. Just a bit of oil goes a long way and
> >>it makes the tortillas very pliable.
> >>
> >>kili
> >>

> > Ok, I've never made Enchiladas.....
> >
> > What do you use for "filling"?
> > Shredded chicken meat maybe, spiced with taco seasoning?
> >
> > I know I could google for this, but I'd much rather see some original
> > ideas. ;-) I'd prefer chicken or turkey to beef.
> >
> > Is it possible to use the M-wave or stovetop instead of the oven?
> > I store pots and pans in there, so rarely ever use the oven as I have to
> > clean it out. <lol>
> >
> > Plus it heats up the house in the summer.

> I prefer plain cheese (Monterey jack works as does a mix with cheddar)
> with some chopped onions and bits of black olive. Only used an oven.
>

> jim

Ah, Cheese enchiladas. :-)
They make those at work sometimes!

TORTILLAS No Name General Cooking 74 12-10-2009 10:12 PM
Tortillas Dusty Bleher Sourdough 69 23-07-2005 01:41 PM
Tortillas de Harina = Flour Tortillas Rolly Mexican Cooking 5 11-04-2005 03:32 PM
Tortillas None Given Diabetic 11 30-12-2004 12:16 AM