FoodBanter.com

-   -   Am I crazy? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/60743-am-i-crazy.html)

Stark 13-05-2005 01:29 PM

Am I crazy?

Mebbe so. But I like a soupy beef hash sans potatoes that I eat over
hot water cornbread, or pone, if you will.

Problem is I've got lots of rib eye that we've been eating as steaks,
and have a portion set aside for roasting. I'd like to chop up a couple
of those steaks for my semi-hash. Is that criminal?

Most hash or beef tips recipes call for tougher meat and a long, slow
braise to tenderize.

If I'm crazy enough to use the rib eye, should I quick-brown, set
aside, make a flavorful gravy, then toss the meat back in? Should I
lightly flour the meat for browning or just deglaze the pan, add broth
or water/wine, then toss in some flour to thicken?

Obvioulsy I need recipe to get out of bed, let alone do anything in the
kitchen.

AlleyGator 13-05-2005 01:51 PM

Stark > wrote:

>Mebbe so. But I like a soupy beef hash sans potatoes that I eat over
>hot water cornbread, or pone, if you will.

Why in the world would you think you're crazy? I'd set a little of it
aside for stew or chili, and yeah, you can dredge it in some flour
with salt and pepper mixed in, or my favorite, throw it in a crockpot
with some water (just a hair, not too much) and some favorite
seasonings - about 3 or 4 hours before you're ready to eat, throw in
some taters, carrots, onions, cabbage, whatever. Good stuff.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

Bubba 13-05-2005 02:50 PM

Stark wrote:

>Mebbe so. But I like a soupy beef hash sans potatoes that I eat over
>hot water cornbread, or pone, if you will.
>
>Problem is I've got lots of rib eye that we've been eating as steaks,
>and have a portion set aside for roasting. I'd like to chop up a couple
>of those steaks for my semi-hash. Is that criminal?
>
>Most hash or beef tips recipes call for tougher meat and a long, slow
>braise to tenderize.
>
>If I'm crazy enough to use the rib eye, should I quick-brown, set
>aside, make a flavorful gravy, then toss the meat back in? Should I
>lightly flour the meat for browning or just deglaze the pan, add broth
>or water/wine, then toss in some flour to thicken?
>
>Obvioulsy I need recipe to get out of bed, let alone do anything in the
>kitchen.

No reason rib eye shouldn't make a killer hash....certainly has plenty
of flavor. I'd sear it first, but then I think browning anything gives
it more punch.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Stark 13-05-2005 03:35 PM

In article >, AlleyGator
> wrote:

> Stark > wrote:
>
> >Mebbe so. But I like a soupy beef hash sans potatoes that I eat over
> >hot water cornbread, or pone, if you will.
> >

> Why in the world would you think you're crazy? I'd set a little of it
> aside for stew or chili, and yeah, you can dredge it in some flour
> with salt and pepper mixed in, or my favorite, throw it in a crockpot
> with some water (just a hair, not too much) and some favorite
> seasonings - about 3 or 4 hours before you're ready to eat, throw in
> some taters, carrots, onions, cabbage, whatever. Good stuff.

Thanks, Gator, but does rib eye need slow-cooking? I thought if I
diced it, browned it then made a gravy, I could toss the beef back in
for a heat up and it would be tender enough for my chompers.

I pan seared a 1- inch rib eye for a salad, 1 minute a side in a very
hot skillet, then 3 minutes in a hot oven, let cool and sliced. Wife
said it was a little chewy, but tasted good. Guess I've partially
answered my own question. Duh!

AlleyGator 13-05-2005 04:14 PM

Stark > wrote:

>Thanks, Gator, but does rib eye need slow-cooking? I thought if I
>diced it, browned it then made a gravy, I could toss the beef back in
>for a heat up and it would be tender enough for my chompers.
>
>I pan seared a 1- inch rib eye for a salad, 1 minute a side in a very
>hot skillet, then 3 minutes in a hot oven, let cool and sliced. Wife
>said it was a little chewy, but tasted good. Guess I've partially
>answered my own question. Duh!

Sorry Stark - I guess I didn't read close enough and missed your
point. I'm not a meat expert, so I'm not sure about rib-eye as
compared to other cuts. But if you had some leftover already cooked,
you could brown it up with some potatoes, green peppers, and onions in
a little Canola oil, or whatever you have around. Had some of that
last night with some scrambled eggs, because I haven't been eating too
well lately - it really hit the spot. (It wasn't rib-eye, it was
leftover roast beef). On the other question - I'm not sure it
actually NEEDS slow-cooking, but it sure is good done that way. In
fact, my wife is a crockpot fanatic - we haven't had a whole turkey in
years, she just buys the breast and puts it in there with some pepper,
poultry seasoning and a little water. Then, she throws in a bunch of
vegetables 3 or 4 hours before meal-time and it is great. Melts in
your mouth like cotton candy.

BOB 14-05-2005 12:31 AM

Stark wrote:
:: Thanks, Gator, but does rib eye need slow-cooking?

No way! Rib eyes are best SEARED over high heat for a very short
period of time.
Personally, I don't think I'd use a rib eye for anything *but* as
steak (ask and I'll post my rib-eye steak cooking method), but it's
your rib-eye, and it would possibly make the best hash you've ever
eaten.

BOB

BOB 14-05-2005 12:33 AM

Bubba wrote:
:: Stark wrote:
::
::: Mebbe so. But I like a soupy beef hash sans potatoes that I eat
over
::: hot water cornbread, or pone, if you will.
:::
[...]

Yeah, me too! ;-)

BOB
ps, read my other post to this thread