Dee Randall

Default Want a fabulous recipe for Mexican rice.

I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being absolutely
wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet, book, personal
use, family recipe.

I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it never
comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic Mexican
cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.

Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
really, really love and make over-and-over.
Thanks so much!
Dee

Curly Sue

On Mon, 9 May 2005 15:05:51 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being absolutely
>wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet, book, personal
>use, family recipe.
>
>I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it never
>comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic Mexican
>cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>
>Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
>really, really love and make over-and-over.
>Thanks so much!
>Dee

Just out of curiousity, have you ever had it in a restaurant where it
was wonderful?

You've tried a lot of recipes and none work. What's missing? A
mystery spice or herb that you can't quite identify? Lard? Chicken
broth? More description might help people zoom in on what you're
looking for.

You might also mention the restaurant in case someone else is familiar
with it.

Sue(tm)
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 09 May 2005 12:05:51p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being
> absolutely wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet,
> book, personal use, family recipe.
>
> I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it
> never comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic
> Mexican cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>
> Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
> really, really love and make over-and-over.
> Thanks so much!
> Dee

Considering all that you've tried, Dee, you need to describe exactly what the
characteristics are that you're looking for. There are many ways to make it,
as you've already found out.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dimitri

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being absolutely
>wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet, book, personal use,
>family recipe.
>
> I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it never
> comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic Mexican
> cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>
> Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
> really, really love and make over-and-over.
> Thanks so much!
> Dee

This was stolen from alt.food.Mexican-Cooking - Linda was one of the early
posters there.

Dimitri

This is my recipe for Mexican rice

Red Rice

1 tablespoon cooking oil, crisco or lard
1 cup long grain white rice
1 good size clove garlic,diced
approx 1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup tomato sauce
pinch of ground comino (cumon)
2 cups water
4 tsps. Knorr chicken bouillon granules ( or as sold in mexican markets, Knorr
caldo de pollo)

Brown the rice in the oil,crisco or lard, over medium heat, stirring constantly
so rice doesn't burn..
Add the garlic,onion, black pepper,dash of comino and stir for a minute. add the
diced tomato and tomato sauce, stir until blended. Add the water and chicken
granules and stir until thoroughly mixed. Bring to a boil, cover and lower heat
and cook for 15-18 minutes, being careful to never lift the cover off the pan
while the rice is cooking.Turn off the heat at the
end of cooking time, let sit for 5 minutes, remove cover, fluff with a fork to
blend seasonings and serve.

Makes 3 cups cooked rice.

(Note: salt is omitted because the chicken bouillon is salty enough)

Linda

Andy

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being
> absolutely wonderful.

That cancels my recipe. I can't even get friendly witnesses to testify in
my flavor!

Andy

cathy

On Mon, 9 May 2005 15:05:51 -0400, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being absolutely
>wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet, book, personal
>use, family recipe.
>
>I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it never
>comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic Mexican
>cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>
>Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
>really, really love and make over-and-over.
>Thanks so much!
>Dee

Well, I don't have your taste buds, and you don't have mine, so what I
think is absolutely wonderful might taste foul to you. The whole thing
is too subjective.

That being said, here's a recipe I use for parties and pot lucks that
always gets rave reviews and there's rarely any leftovers. It's not
traditional Mexican Rice, exactly, but it's got most of the right
ingredients.

Red-Eye Rice

4 cups water
3 cups long-grain rice
3 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 cups prepared salsa
mild or medium-hot, to taste
2-1/2 cups fozen whole kernel corn, thawd
2 cups sour cream

Place water and rice in 4-quart Dutch oven. Cover. Bring to boil and
reduce heat. Cook 20 minutes. Do not lift cover. Remove from heat. Let
stand, covered, 10 minutes. Cool.

In medium mixing bowl, stir together 2 cups Cheddar cheese, 2 cups
Monterey Jack cheese, 2 cups salsa, 1 3/4 cups corn, sour cream and
rice. Turn mixture into 13x9x2 inch or 4-quart baking dish. Spoon
remaining cheeses, salsa and corn on top of rice. Bake, uncovered, at
350 degrees 25 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Makes 12
servings.

Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Mon 09 May 2005 12:05:51p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being
>> absolutely wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet,
>> book, personal use, family recipe.
>>
>> I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it
>> never comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic
>> Mexican cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>>
>> Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
>> really, really love and make over-and-over.
>> Thanks so much!
>> Dee

> Considering all that you've tried, Dee, you need to describe exactly what
> the
> characteristics are that you're looking for. There are many ways to make
> it,
> as you've already found out.

> Wayne Boatwright

The best I can describe it is thusly:
1. Rice fried in pan on top of stove in what I consider the 'mexican style'
only because a friend of mine from Nicarauga used this method. I recall her
doing it that way and it was the greatest (she's since passed on - no chance
of getting her recipe). She finished up the rice on top of the stove. (I've
done this many times.) I've given up lately and just make my mexican rice
in a rice cooker, rendering mediocre, at best mexican rice. I've been thru a
number of recipes over the last few years.
2. Tomato-y. I can't get a happy medium between a bitter/sweet taste of
tomatoes. I don't want a a taste of 'tomato juice'. I've used various cans
of Mexican tomato sauce, hot and medium, but that is not the tomato-y taste
I'm looking for either. I don't like at all a can of stewed tomatoes added
for the tomato ingredient.
3. I don't care for any 'extras' i.e., corn, cheese, an excess of green
pepper.
4. I don't want to use lard -- my friend didn't use lard, either.
5. I like cumin and hot peppers, but how much is the issue.
6. I usually use for this type of dish a jasmine or tex-mex type of rice.
6. I know that all this is subjective. I am looking for a recipe that is
very very simple. I'm thinking it must be technique as well.
But if anyone has a tried-and-true recipe of a simple Mexican rice, let me
know.
Thank you.
Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 09 May 2005 01:36:32p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Mon 09 May 2005 12:05:51p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being
>>> absolutely wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet,
>>> book, personal use, family recipe.
>>>
>>> I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it
>>> never comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic
>>> Mexican cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>>>
>>> Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that
>>> they really, really love and make over-and-over.
>>> Thanks so much!
>>> Dee

>> Considering all that you've tried, Dee, you need to describe exactly
>> what the characteristics are that you're looking for. There are many
>> ways to make it, as you've already found out.

>> Wayne Boatwright

First off, let me say that this is not a dish I cook, but I do get it every
time I'm in a Mexican restaurants. FWIW, I will offer the following
comments...

> The best I can describe it is thusly:
> 1. Rice fried in pan on top of stove in what I consider the 'mexican
> style' only because a friend of mine from Nicarauga used this method. I
> recall her doing it that way and it was the greatest (she's since passed
> on - no chance of getting her recipe). She finished up the rice on top
> of the stove. (I've done this many times.) I've given up lately and
> just make my mexican rice in a rice cooker, rendering mediocre, at best
> mexican rice. I've been thru a number of recipes over the last few
> years.

Personally, I would use lard. What fat are you using to fry the rice? You
might go with bacon fat or rendered salt pork. It needs to have a flavor.
I doubt oil will give you the results you're looking for.

2. Tomato-y. I can't get a happy medium between a bitter/sweet
> taste of tomatoes. I don't want a a taste of 'tomato juice'. I've used
> various cans of Mexican tomato sauce, hot and medium, but that is not
> the tomato-y taste I'm looking for either. I don't like at all a can of
> stewed tomatoes added for the tomato ingredient.

Stewed tomatoes would probably be too sweet. I would probably use the
Mexican canned tomatoes with green chilies (they come in various cuts from
large chunks to mini-dice. Tomato sauce adds a different taste and texture
that I wouldn't want either.

> 3. I don't care for any 'extras' i.e., corn, cheese, an excess of green
> pepper.

Agreed.

> 4. I don't want to use lard -- my friend didn't use lard, either.

Covered that above, but I will repeat that I think the fat needs to be one
with flavor.

> 5. I like cumin and hot peppers, but how much is the issue.

How much have used when you've made this before? They are, of course,
independent. I love cumin, but would not want a huge amount in this dish,
perhaps only 1/2-3/4 teaspoon. Hot peppers vary so much with type and even
within type. I would be inclined to try finly diced jalapeños, perhaps a
tablespoon or so, but their heat varies too.

> 6. I usually use for this type of dish a jasmine or tex-mex type of
> rice. 6. I know that all this is subjective. I am looking for a recipe
> that is very very simple. I'm thinking it must be technique as well.
> But if anyone has a tried-and-true recipe of a simple Mexican rice, let
> me know.

I think jasmine rice is too delicate for this dish, but as you say, it's
subjective.

You didn't mention it, but do have you used onion and/or garlic? I would
use both.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
james a. finley

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> >I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being

absolutely
> >wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet, book, personal

use,
> >family recipe.
> >
> > I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it

never
> > comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic Mexican
> > cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
> >
> > Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
> > really, really love and make over-and-over.
> > Thanks so much!
> > Dee

> This was stolen from alt.food.Mexican-Cooking - Linda was one of the early
> posters there.
>
> Dimitri
>
> This is my recipe for Mexican rice
>
> Red Rice
>
> 1 tablespoon cooking oil, crisco or lard
> 1 cup long grain white rice
> 1 good size clove garlic,diced
> approx 1/8 tsp. black pepper
> 1/2 onion, diced
> 1 tomato, diced
> 1/4 cup tomato sauce
> pinch of ground comino (cumon)
> 2 cups water
> 4 tsps. Knorr chicken bouillon granules ( or as sold in mexican markets,

Knorr
> caldo de pollo)

Instead of using the Knorr chicken boullion granules, use Knorr tomato
bouillon with chicken flavor and eliminate the tomato sauce. I prefer the
cubes over the granules because they make 2 cups of broth.

Jim
37 years of eating and cooking Tex-Mex (mostly eating)

The Joneses

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> [...]

> How much have used when you've made this before? They are, of course,
> independent. I love cumin, but would not want a huge amount in this dish,
> perhaps only 1/2-3/4 teaspoon. Hot peppers vary so much with type and even
> within type. I would be inclined to try finly diced jalapeños, perhaps a
> tablespoon or so, but their heat varies too.
>
> > 6. I usually use for this type of dish a jasmine or tex-mex type of
> > rice. 6. I know that all this is subjective. I am looking for a recipe
> > that is very very simple. I'm thinking it must be technique as well.
> > But if anyone has a tried-and-true recipe of a simple Mexican rice, let
> > me know.

> I think jasmine rice is too delicate for this dish, but as you say, it's
> subjective.
> You didn't mention it, but do have you used onion and/or garlic? I would

Yeah, but don't go overboard on the onion. I always put in too much. Diced up,
dish for 1 cup of rice - I'd use about 2 slices or a coupla green ones.
Edrena

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 09 May 2005 03:20:21p, james a. finley wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> >I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being
>> >absolutely wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet,
>> >book, personal use, family recipe.
>> >
>> > I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it
>> > never comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic
>> > Mexican cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>> >
>> > Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that
>> > they really, really love and make over-and-over.
>> > Thanks so much!
>> > Dee

>> This was stolen from alt.food.Mexican-Cooking - Linda was one of the
>> early posters there.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> This is my recipe for Mexican rice
>>
>> Red Rice
>>
>> 1 tablespoon cooking oil, crisco or lard
>> 1 cup long grain white rice
>> 1 good size clove garlic,diced
>> approx 1/8 tsp. black pepper
>> 1/2 onion, diced
>> 1 tomato, diced
>> 1/4 cup tomato sauce
>> pinch of ground comino (cumon)
>> 2 cups water
>> 4 tsps. Knorr chicken bouillon granules ( or as sold in mexican
>> markets, Knorr caldo de pollo)

> Instead of using the Knorr chicken boullion granules, use Knorr tomato
> bouillon with chicken flavor and eliminate the tomato sauce. I prefer
> the cubes over the granules because they make 2 cups of broth.
>
> Jim
> 37 years of eating and cooking Tex-Mex (mostly eating)

I use that product, too, for various dishes. However, depending on where
you live, it may not be that easy to find.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
A.C.

Dee Randall

> I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being absolutely
> wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet, book, personal
> use, family recipe.
>
> I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it never
> comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic Mexican
> cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>
> Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
> really, really love and make over-and-over.
> Thanks so much!
> Dee

2 tablespoons oil .
1/2 small small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic minced
1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
3 ounces salsa
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups chicken stock or water

Directions
1 In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. add onion and sautee until they
start getting soft and develop some color, add the minced garlic and cook for
two to three minutes taking care not to burn the garlic.

2 Pour the rice into the pan and stir to coat grains with oil. raise the heat in
the pan and saute for a minute or two to toast the rice. Mix in cumin, chili
powder, salt and water/stock. Cover, bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
Cook at a simmer for 15 mins. Remove from heat and let stand an additional 10
minutes. add salsa, (room temp is best) fluff the rice while mixing in the
salsa. serve!

Dee Randall

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> even
>> within type. I would be inclined to try finly diced jalapeños, perhaps a
>> tablespoon or so, but their heat varies too.
>>
>> > 6. I usually use for this type of dish a jasmine or tex-mex type of
>> > rice. 6. I know that all this is subjective. I am looking for a recipe
>> > that is very very simple. I'm thinking it must be technique as well.
>> > But if anyone has a tried-and-true recipe of a simple Mexican rice, let
>> > me know.

>> I think jasmine rice is too delicate for this dish, but as you say, it's
>> subjective.
>> You didn't mention it, but do have you used onion and/or garlic? I would
>> use both.Wayne Boatwright

> Yeah, but don't go overboard on the onion. I always put in too much. Diced
> up,
> dish for 1 cup of rice - I'd use about 2 slices or a coupla green ones.

Wayne, thank you.
I agree with your recommendation of the use of cumin and jalapenos. I like
to use fresh jalapenos because I always keep fresh around. Usually I keep
seranos around, too. Have you noticed that jalapenos seem to be getting
less and less hot these days. It just dawned on me -- do people use chili
powder in mexican rice? I order and have on hand usually a few kinds of
chili powder from the Chili Shop in Santa Fe but I don't know if I've ever
used chili powder in mexican rice.

<snip>Mexican canned tomatoes with green chilies (they come in various
cuts from
>> large chunks to mini-dice.

I just looked in my 'larder' and found a can of this very thing.

I have never used garlic in this rice -- it is something I could try -- I
don't associate very much garlic with Mexican cooking -- am I incorrect? (I
stopped using green onions when the scare happened some months ago and I
could use them since they would be cooked.) I think I would prefer a ratio
of more green than regular onion (I've stopped using red and yellow and
white onion except Vidalia, sweet Maui & Peru. - just an preference oddity
of mine of late.)

And lastly, re FAT -- Just for the reason that I'm a bit disgusted with
prosciutto and trying to locate pancetti AND/OR a good slab of pork, I
bought some bacon at Costco (to keep in the freezer - also don't eat bacon
often) for the simple reason that I read that if you will blanche the bacon,
it will loose some of its bacon curing taste. (Wanted this for Italian
cooking.) Perhaps this is a solution. I wouldn't want a noticeable taste of
bacon in my rice -- I don't 'think' I've noticed a bacon flavor in
restaurant rice, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for getting me goin'.
Dee

Aso

Dee Randall

"A.C." > wrote in message

> Dee Randall
>
>> I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being
>> absolutely
>> wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet, book, personal
>> use, family recipe.
>>
>> I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it never
>> comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic Mexican
>> cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>>
>> Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
>> really, really love and make over-and-over.
>> Thanks so much!
>> Dee
>>

> 2 tablespoons oil .
> 1/2 small small onion, diced
> 2 cloves garlic minced
> 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
> 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
> 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
> 3 ounces salsa
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 3/4 cups chicken stock or water
>

> Directions
> 1 In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. add onion and sautee until
> they
> start getting soft and develop some color, add the minced garlic and cook
> for
> two to three minutes taking care not to burn the garlic.
>
> 2 Pour the rice into the pan and stir to coat grains with oil. raise the
> heat in
> the pan and saute for a minute or two to toast the rice. Mix in cumin,
> chili
> powder, salt and water/stock. Cover, bring to a boil then reduce heat to
> low.
> Cook at a simmer for 15 mins. Remove from heat and let stand an additional
> 10
> minutes. add salsa, (room temp is best) fluff the rice while mixing in the
> salsa. serve!

Ah, ha! I see the chili powder mentioned in the recipe which I inquired
about, and also the minced garlic. I should've said that when I think
'chicken stock' I think 'phlem." OMG! But luckily you said, 'or water.' ha
ha.

Thanks again.
Dee

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 09 May 2005 05:45:57p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "The Joneses" > wrote in message
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> First off, let me say that this is not a dish I cook, but I do get it
>>> every time I'm in a Mexican restaurants. FWIW, I will offer the
>>> following comments...

>>> Personally, I would use lard. What fat are you using to fry the rice?
>>> You
>>> might go with bacon fat or rendered salt pork. It needs to have a
>>> flavor. I doubt oil will give you the results you're looking for.
>>>
>>> 2. Tomato-y. I can't get a happy medium between a bitter/sweet
>>>
>>> Stewed tomatoes would probably be too sweet. I would probably use the
>>> Mexican canned tomatoes with green chilies (they come in various cuts
>>> from large chunks to mini-dice. Tomato sauce adds a different taste
>>> and texture that I wouldn't want either.

>>> Agreed.

>>> Covered that above, but I will repeat that I think the fat needs to be
>>> one with flavor.

>>> How much have used when you've made this before? They are, of course,
>>> independent. I love cumin, but would not want a huge amount in this
>>> dish, perhaps only 1/2-3/4 teaspoon. Hot peppers vary so much with
>>> type and even within type. I would be inclined to try finly diced
>>> jalapeños, perhaps a tablespoon or so, but their heat varies too.

>>> I think jasmine rice is too delicate for this dish, but as you say,
>>> it's subjective. You didn't mention it, but do have you used onion
>>> and/or garlic? I would use both.Wayne Boatwright

>> Yeah, but don't go overboard on the onion. I always put in too much.
>> Diced up, dish for 1 cup of rice - I'd use about 2 slices or a coupla
>> green ones. Edrena
>>

> Wayne, thank you.
> I agree with your recommendation of the use of cumin and jalapenos. I
> like to use fresh jalapenos because I always keep fresh around. Usually
> I keep seranos around, too. Have you noticed that jalapenos seem to be
> getting less and less hot these days. It just dawned on me -- do people
> use chili powder in mexican rice? I order and have on hand usually a
> few kinds of chili powder from the Chili Shop in Santa Fe but I don't
> know if I've ever used chili powder in mexican rice.

Nope, I wouldn't be inclined to use chili powder. I find that jalapenos
vary in heat from one to another. The amount needs to be adjusted because
of that.

> <snip>Mexican canned tomatoes with green chilies (they come in
> various cuts from
>>> large chunks to mini-dice.

> I just looked in my 'larder' and found a can of this very thing.
>
> I have never used garlic in this rice -- it is something I could try --
> I don't associate very much garlic with Mexican cooking -- am I
> incorrect? (I stopped using green onions when the scare happened some
> months ago and I could use them since they would be cooked.) I think I
> would prefer a ratio of more green than regular onion (I've stopped
> using red and yellow and white onion except Vidalia, sweet Maui & Peru.
> - just an preference oddity of mine of late.)

LOL! We must have been eating different Mexican food. <g> I've always
associated garlic (not a lot) with Mexican food, but then, I tend to put
garlic and onion almost everything. I love using green onions

> And lastly, re FAT -- Just for the reason that I'm a bit disgusted with
> prosciutto and trying to locate pancetti AND/OR a good slab of pork, I
> bought some bacon at Costco (to keep in the freezer - also don't eat
> bacon often) for the simple reason that I read that if you will blanche
> the bacon, it will loose some of its bacon curing taste. (Wanted this
> for Italian cooking.) Perhaps this is a solution. I wouldn't want a
> noticeable taste of bacon in my rice -- I don't 'think' I've noticed a
> bacon flavor in restaurant rice, but I could be wrong.
>
> Thanks for getting me goin'.
> Dee

Yes, definitely blanch the bacon, as it will reduce the strong smokiness
and saltiness.

Good luck!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Orlando Fiol

Basically, toast the rice in a little oil while you chop onions, garlic,
tomatoes and jalapen~os. I usually use one jalapen~o for two cups of
rice. I also like whole cumin seeds. Anyway, you add those ingredients
to the toasted rice and cook until they're soft and aromatic. Then,
cover the rice with water or low sodium chicken broth, add a little more
oil so it doesn't stick, and begin cooking out the liquid. When small
bubbles form on the bottom of the pot, but most of the liquid is
evaporated, turn down the flame to a low simmer and cook covered for
twenty minutes without checking or stirring. Voila!

Orlando
jacqui{JB}

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who
> swears by its being absolutely wonderful. I don't
> care where it has come from, internet, book, personal
> use, family recipe.

Well, I'm very fond of the recipes in Diana Kennedy's _Recipes from the
Regional Cooks of Mexico_. This book has been a godsend since moving to
Denmark. I didn't need to make my own Mexican food when I lived in San
Diego, but now? Trust me, there is *NO* really good Mexican food here.

Anyway, I don't know how close these recipes will come to what you're
looking for, after reading through the thread, especially when it comes to
the "very very simple" part. Mexican food is peasant food, by and large
(like much of Danish cooking), which often assumes a fair bit of available
prep time by the cook. Still, I think it's worth it. I've included the
recipes for the traditional Mexican Rice, with tomato, and a recipe for
Green Rice, which I'd never tried before experimenting with it here -- I
think it's brilliant. It's not what you asked for, but the flavors are
bright and appealing, and really nice with a variety of dishes. And it's
extra good with a squeeze of lime. My comments are in brackets [].

Hope this helps.
-j

*****
Arroz a la Mexicana -- Mexican Rice
From Diana Kennedy's _Recipes from the Regional Cooks of Mexico_
6 servings

Hot water to cover
1-1/2 cups long-grain white rice [I use Jasmine]
13/ cup peanut of safflower oil
1 large tomato (about 1/2 pound), chopped
1/4 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
3-1/2 cups well-salted chicken broth [I use homemade stock made from roasted
parts and bones, plus a good-sized bouquet garni with lots of fresh thyme
and parsley -- it makes a huge difference -- and I usually add salt to taste
to the whole dish, rather than to the stock]
1/3 carrot, scraped and thinly sliced (optional)
2 tablespoons peas (optional)
1 whole sprig parsley (optional)
Salt to taste

Pour the hot water over the rice and let it stand for about 20 minutes.
Drain the rice and rinse well in cold water, then shake the colander well
and leave the rice to drain for about 10 minutes.

Heat the oil in a deep, flameproof dish until it smokes. Give the rice a
final shake and stir it into the oil until the grains are well covered, then
fry until a light golden color, stirring and turning the rice over so it
will cook evenly and will not stick to the pan. This process should take
about 10 minutes, depending, of course, on the size of the pan -- but it
should be done over a high flame or the rice will become mushy in its final
stage. Tip the pan to one side and drain off any excess oil (strain and
refrigerate and use again).

Blend the tomato, onion and garlic until smooth -- there should be about 1
cup of puree [I strongly suggest doing this *before* you put the rice on to
cook; I like using my stick blender for this; also, regardless of which
blender I use; I generally like to force the puree through a sieve to get
rid of the tomato skins, which I find really unappealing in the finished
dish]. Add the puree to the fried rice, then, continuing to cook over a
high flame, stir and scrape the bottom of the pan until the mixture is dry.

Add the broth, carrot, peas and parsley. Add salt as necessary, then stir
well (do not stir again during the cooking time). Cook over a medium flame,
uncovered, until the liquid has been absorbed and small air holes appear in
the rice. Remove the dish from the flame, cover tightly with a lid or
aluminum foil so that no steam can escape, and set it aside in a warm place
for about 20 to 30 minutes, so the rice can continue cooking in its own
steam and the grains expand.

Before serving, stir the rice well from the bottom.

Arroz Verde -- Green Rice
From Diana Kennedy's _Recipes from the Regional Cooks of Mexico_
6 Servings

1-1/2 cups long-grain white rice
Hot water to cover
1/3 cup peanut or safflower oil
1/2 cup cold water, more if necessary
1 small bunch Italian parsley
3 sprigs fresh coriander
3 large romaine lettuce leaves
2 chiles poblanos, charred, peeled, and cleaned of seeds and veins, or
canned, peeled green chilies [I can't get poblanos here, so I use whatever
longish, light to medium green peppers I can get at our local middle-eastern
grocery]
1/4 small onion, roughly chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
3 cups light chicken broth [again, homemade is best]
Salt to taste

Cover the rice with hot water and let soak for about 20 minutes. Drain in a
strainer, then rinse well in cold water and leave to drain for about 15
minutes.

In a heavy pan, heat the oil until it smokes. Give a final shake to the
rice in the strainer and stir it into the oil. Fry over a very high flame,
turning the rice thoroughly from time to time, until it is a pale golden
color. Tip the pan to one side, holding back the rice with a wide metal
spatula, and drain off about 3 tablespoons of the oil.

Pour the 1/2 cup water into a blender jar. Add the greens, chilies, onion
and garlic and blend until smooth, adding more water only if absolutely
necessary to release the blades of the blender.

Add the blended ingredients to the rice and fry over a high flame, stirring
constantly and scraping the bottom of the pan, until the rice is almost dry.
Add the broth and salt to taste and cook over a medium flame until all the
liquid has been absorbed and small air holes appear in the surface of the
rice -- about 15 minutes.

Cover the pan with a lid or foil and cook for 5 minutes longer. Turn out
the flame and let the rice continue cooking in its own steam for 20 to 30
minutes.

aem

Dee Randall wrote:
> The best I can describe it is thusly:
> 1. Rice fried in pan on top of stove in what I consider the 'mexican

style' [snip] ....I've given up lately and just make my mexican rice
> in a rice cooker, rendering mediocre, at best mexican rice.

Okay, step one: go back to the stovetop. Start by cooking a bit of
minced white onion in oil until it's tender. Meanwhile, heat some
chicken broth. Add the rice and stir for several minutes until it's
all coated with oil and has all changed color. You're not really
frying it (i.e., not cooking hard) but you are beginning to.

> 2. Tomato-y. I can't get a happy medium between a bitter/sweet taste
> of tomatoes. [snip list of 'don't likes']

Okay, step two: use one or two fresh tomatoes, seeded (peeled if it's
not too much trouble) and diced small. When in doubt about quality or
taste of available tomatoes, use Romas.

> 3. I don't care for any 'extras' i.e., corn, cheese, an excess of
> green pepper.

No problem, don't add any. (If you ever get a hankering for something
different, though, find a small can of 'Veg-All' and add that, drained.
It's a mixed vegetables product found much more easily in Mexico than
in the States.)

> 4. I don't want to use lard -- my friend didn't use lard, either.

No problem. I use peanut or safflower.

> 5. I like cumin and hot peppers, but how much is the issue.

In basic Mexican rice, none. Use as much as you like in whatever the
rice will accompany. I take it that you're not looking for a main
dish, but the usual unobtrusive but tasty side dish.

> 6. I usually use for this type of dish a jasmine or tex-mex type of

rice.

I don't know what tex-mex rice is. Plain long grain rice is most
typical for this. Jasmine would have conflicting flavor, to my taste.

The basic 'technique' is: soften onion, precook and coat rice, add hot
liquid, bring to boil, cover, simmer/steam till done. The diced tomato
and broth add color and flavor. I think your main difficulty has been
in trying too hard to make it special. Try this minimalist approach --
it's pretty much failproof. -aem

Dee Randall

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> The best I can describe it is thusly:
>> 1. Rice fried in pan on top of stove in what I consider the 'mexican

> style' [snip] ....I've given up lately and just make my mexican rice
>> in a rice cooker, rendering mediocre, at best mexican rice.

> Okay, step one: go back to the stovetop. Start by cooking a bit of
> minced white onion in oil until it's tender. Meanwhile, heat some
> chicken broth. Add the rice and stir for several minutes until it's
> all coated with oil and has all changed color. You're not really
> frying it (i.e., not cooking hard) but you are beginning to.
>
>> 2. Tomato-y. I can't get a happy medium between a bitter/sweet taste
>> of tomatoes. [snip list of 'don't likes']

> Okay, step two: use one or two fresh tomatoes, seeded (peeled if it's
> not too much trouble) and diced small. When in doubt about quality or
> taste of available tomatoes, use Romas.
>
>> 3. I don't care for any 'extras' i.e., corn, cheese, an excess of
>> green pepper.

> No problem, don't add any. (If you ever get a hankering for something
> different, though, find a small can of 'Veg-All' and add that, drained.
> It's a mixed vegetables product found much more easily in Mexico than
> in the States.)
>
>> 4. I don't want to use lard -- my friend didn't use lard, either.

> No problem. I use peanut or safflower.
>
>> 5. I like cumin and hot peppers, but how much is the issue.

> In basic Mexican rice, none. Use as much as you like in whatever the
> rice will accompany. I take it that you're not looking for a main
> dish, but the usual unobtrusive but tasty side dish.
>
>> 6. I usually use for this type of dish a jasmine or tex-mex type of

> rice.
>
> I don't know what tex-mex rice is. Plain long grain rice is most
> typical for this. Jasmine would have conflicting flavor, to my taste.
>
> The basic 'technique' is: soften onion, precook and coat rice, add hot
> liquid, bring to boil, cover, simmer/steam till done. The diced tomato
> and broth add color and flavor. I think your main difficulty has been
> in trying too hard to make it special. Try this minimalist approach --
> it's pretty much failproof. -aem

Thanks. I guess what I refer to as tex-mex is what you are saying, plain
long-grain rice. Korean rice comes as close as what I can discern for this,
as most of it around here for sale is grown in Texas. I agree Jasmine
probably does have a conflicting flavor.

<snip>usual unobtrusive but tasty side dish.<snip>
Yes, that is what I want. Tasty, but not to be the main dish.

So basically, you are saying onion, fresh tomatoes preferably seeded Romas,
oil and chicken broth - no cumin or peppers.
Thanks.
Dee

The Cook

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Mon 09 May 2005 03:20:21p, james a. finley wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> This was stolen from alt.food.Mexican-Cooking - Linda was one of the
>>> early posters there.
>>>
>>> Dimitri
>>>
>>> This is my recipe for Mexican rice
>>>
>>> Red Rice
>>>
>>> 1 tablespoon cooking oil, crisco or lard
>>> 1 cup long grain white rice
>>> 1 good size clove garlic,diced
>>> approx 1/8 tsp. black pepper
>>> 1/2 onion, diced
>>> 1 tomato, diced
>>> 1/4 cup tomato sauce
>>> pinch of ground comino (cumon)
>>> 2 cups water
>>> 4 tsps. Knorr chicken bouillon granules ( or as sold in mexican
>>> markets, Knorr caldo de pollo)

>> Instead of using the Knorr chicken boullion granules, use Knorr tomato
>> bouillon with chicken flavor and eliminate the tomato sauce. I prefer
>> the cubes over the granules because they make 2 cups of broth.
>>
>> Jim
>> 37 years of eating and cooking Tex-Mex (mostly eating)

>I use that product, too, for various dishes. However, depending on where
>you live, it may not be that easy to find.

I found it today at Big Lots. They come up with some of the neatest
things sometimes.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Mexican Rice

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 cup long-grain rice
1 can (about 15 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups beef broth

PREPARATION:
In a heavy skillet sauté onion, green bell pepper and garlic until onion is
softened. Add rice to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until rice has
browned. Add tomatoes, chili powder, salt, and beef broth.
Bring to a boil; cover, lower heat, and simmer until liquid has been
absorbed, about 20 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed.

Dimitri

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>I am looking for a recipe used by anyone who swears by its being absolutely
>wonderful. I don't care where it has come from, internet, book, personal use,
>family recipe.
>
> I have tried and tried to prepare Mexican rice to my liking, but it never
> comes out tasting very good - to me. I've tried from authentic Mexican
> cookbooks, internet recipes, etc.
>
> Could anyone give me a tried-and-true recipe for Mexican rice that they
> really, really love and make over-and-over.
> Thanks so much!
> Dee

see below. I think she may know what she is talking about.

Dimitri

Arroz a la Mexicana
(Mexican Rice)
Recipe from: The Essential Cuisines of Mexico
by Diana Kennedy
Cookbook Heaven at Recipelink.com

You can cook rice ahead, then heat it through gently, tightly covered, in a 300F
(150C) oven for about 30 minutes, Leftover rice can be heated through in the
same way the next day. (I do not recommend steaming, since the flavor of the
rice will be diluted.) Arroz a la Mexicana also freezes successfully. To reheat,
make a foil package of it and place, still frozen, in a 350F (180C) oven. Heat
through for about 45 minutes.
Servings: 6
1 1/2 cups (375 ml) long-grain unconverted white rice
1/3 cup (85 ml) vegetable oil
8 ounces (225 g) tomatoes, roughly chopped (about 1 1/2 cups/375 ml)
1/4 small white onion, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
about 3 1/2 cups (875 ml) well-salted chicken broth
1 small carrot, scraped and thinly sliced (optional)
2 tablespoons peas (optional)
1 whole sprig parsley (optional)
salt to taste
For this quantity you will need a heavy-bottomed, flameproof pan about 4 inches
(10 cm) deep and 9 inches (23 cm) across.
Pour hot water to cover over the rice and let it stand for about 5 minutes.
Drain the rice and rinse well in cold water, then shake the colander well and
leave the rice to drain for a few minutes/
Heat the oil. Give the rice a final shake and stir it into the oil until the
grains are well covered, then fry until just turning color, stirring and turning
the rice over so it will cook evenly and will not stick to the pan. This process
should take about 10 minutes - depending, of course, on the size of the pan -
but it should be done over high heat or the rice will become mushy in its final
stage. Tip the pan to one side and drain
off any excess oil or drain rice in a fine strainer.
Blend the tomatoes, onion, and garlic until smooth-there should be about 1 cup
(250 ml). Add the puree to the fried rice, then, continuing to cook over high
heat, stir and scrape the bottom of the pan until the mixture is dry.
Add the broth, carrot, peas, and parsley. Add salt as necessary, then stir well
(do not stir again during the cooking time). Cook over medium heat, covered,
until the liquid has been absorbed and small air holes appear in the rice. This
will take about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and cover the rice with
a piece of terry cloth. Cover with a tightly fitting lid so tha no steam can
escape, and set aside in a warm place for about 20 minutes, so the rice can
continue cooking in its own steam and the grains will expand. Before serving,
loosen the rice with a fork from the bottom.

Spanish Rice vs. Mexican Rice Janet B General Cooking 13 14-02-2016 08:06 PM
Mexican Rice. Dimitri General Cooking 44 19-07-2009 08:18 AM
Mexican Rice Trinidad P. Hernandez General Cooking 3 20-09-2006 06:11 PM
Mexican Rice Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-03-2005 09:17 PM
Wasn't happy with Mexican rice recipe The Wolf Mexican Cooking 7 27-10-2003 08:01 PM