TomKan

Default Grille/Grill according to Sheldon

In a post about a grille, Sheldon corrected my spelling:

TomKan wrote:
> Just read a thread on making pizza on a grille. How about frozen
>french fries??

Methinks you mean "grill".... no 'e'.

M-W

grille

1 : a grating forming a barrier or screen; especially : an ornamental
one at the front end of an automobile
2 : an opening covered with a grille
---

Sheldon

____Reply Separator_____

Seems to me that the grating you set the meat/veggies on qualifies as
being a grille as in defintion #1. And the opening that holds the
charcoal or ceramic/lava briquettes would qualify as being a grille as
in definition #2.

Jack Masters

TomKan wrote:
> In a post about a grille, Sheldon corrected my spelling:
>

> TomKan wrote:
>
>>Just read a thread on making pizza on a grille. How about frozen
>>french fries??

> Methinks you mean "grill".... no 'e'.
>
> M-W
>
> grille
>
> 1 : a grating forming a barrier or screen; especially : an ornamental
> one at the front end of an automobile
> 2 : an opening covered with a grille
> ---
>
> Sheldon
>
> ____Reply Separator_____
>
> Seems to me that the grating you set the meat/veggies on qualifies as
> being a grille as in defintion #1. And the opening that holds the
> charcoal or ceramic/lava briquettes would qualify as being a grille as
> in definition #2.

To prevent people from disassembling their cars when they read a recipe
calling for a grill, early automobile manufacturers cleverly introduced
the distinction between grill and grille.

Certain grilles, as per definition #1, can definitely be used as a
grill. My 1971 Landrover Series II had a solid metal mesh grille that
could be removed by loosening 2 bolts, and since the cruising speed of
that beast (especially on dirt roads) was not high enough to catch
insects, we have occasionally put it over a fire. I wouldn't recommend
this if you have a more contemporary vehicle, those plastic grilles tend
to melt before the meat is done.

J.