Default Asian Cooking

Hi! I'm new to this list and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm
from Singapore - the land of great food lovers. Eating is our
passion. My personal favorites are Chinese, Peranakan and Malay
food. I'm considered a novice cook but friends love my dry laksa and
chicken wings. On days that I'm not working, I love to cook
something nice for the family to enjoy but it's not always easy
since I've got two young children to run after. Sometimes I resort
to easy solutions like food premixes that really saves time on the
preparation- and the result taste great too! I like to try new
recipes when time permits or when I'm cooking for a party and I hope
that by joining this group I can share great food experiences with
people with the same passion.

Viv
ExpatNL

also check out alt.food.asian

cheers

MrAoD

viv writes:

>Hi! I'm new to this list and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm
>from Singapore - the land of great food lovers. Eating is our
>passion. My personal favorites are Chinese, Peranakan

Okay, I'll bite. (my turn this time Barb).

Since Peranakan was a new one on me I went to my trusty old google. Peranakan
= Straits ethnic Chinese, possibly also an ethnic Chinese-Indian
cross-fertilization, physically and culturally.

Further searches on cuisine deadend in 404s. Could you oblige us with a few
typical Peranakan/Nonya dishes?

Thanks,

Marc
PENMART01

>viv writes:
>
>>Hi! I'm new to this list and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm
>>from Singapore - the land of great food lovers. Eating is our
>>passion. My personal favorites are Chinese, Peranakan

Do you mean Asian cooking like European cooking? Asia encompasses a huge
territory with fantastically diversified cusines... perhaps you should have
titled the Subj. "Oriental Cooking", at least that would narrow things down
somewhat.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Hi Viv,

Welcome to the group, enjoy your stay

I to would like to know about Peranakan food. Maybe you could post a fes
dishes/recipes

-steve

> wrote in message
om...
> Hi! I'm new to this list and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm
> from Singapore - the land of great food lovers. Eating is our
> passion. My personal favorites are Chinese, Peranakan and Malay
> food. I'm considered a novice cook but friends love my dry laksa and
> chicken wings. On days that I'm not working, I love to cook
> something nice for the family to enjoy but it's not always easy
> since I've got two young children to run after. Sometimes I resort
> to easy solutions like food premixes that really saves time on the
> preparation- and the result taste great too! I like to try new
> recipes when time permits or when I'm cooking for a party and I hope
> that by joining this group I can share great food experiences with
> people with the same passion.
>
> Viv

Peranakan food is typically chilli hot and uses lots of spices found
in the Straits. Laksa, which has peranakan origins (I think) is a very
popular dish in Singapore and Malaysia. It is actually a noodle dish
served in rich gravy made from coconut milk (sinful), chilli, onions
etc. But the version that I like to cook is drier and here's the
recipe.

500g thick bee hoon
350g bean sprouts
3 pieces tau pok (soy bean puffs), sliced
2 tbsp oil
50 g dried prawns, minced
200g Laksa Paste - I use ready made laksa paste so that I don't have
to make the paste from scratch which is quite a lot of work.
150g fresh prawns, shelled and deveined
2 pcs fish cake, sliced
One qtr tsp sugar
250g coconut milk

Serves about 4

1. Boil a pot of water. Add bee hoon, been sprouts and sliced soy bean
puff. Remove and drain after 1-2 min.
2. Heat oil in wok over medium fire. Stir fry dried prawns for about 1
min then add laksa paste. Mix well till fragrant - about 2 mins. Take
care not to burn the paste.
3. add fresh prawns and fish cake and stir fry for another 1 to 2
mins.
4. Add coconut milk and sugar to the wok and stir till well mixed.
5. Add the bee hoon, bean sprouts and tau pok to the wok. Mix well
with chopsticks for about 2 mins.
6. If you like, you can garnish with laksa leaves and serve.

Enjoy Cooking,

Viv

> Hi Viv! I was born in Malaysia, and still have a lot of
> family there. We went back for a vacation last summer, but sadly, didn't
> make it to Singapore this time. I hope you'll post some of your
> recipes, particularly the Peranakan ones--one of the best meals we had
> on vacation was in Melacca. Meanwhile, I'll just sit here and envy
> your close proximity to all those great hawker stalls.
>
> Ariane

Hi Ariane! I'm new to newsgroups and have a little problem navigating
the threads. I posted the recipe for dry laksa somewhere but not sure
whether I posted in the right thread :P Do you do much asian cooking?
It must be really difficult to get all the "asian" ingredients if
you're not living in this part of the world.

Viv

Asian Cooking Style tan Asian Cooking 10 07-02-2012 09:55 AM
Cheese in Asian cooking? merryb General Cooking 80 28-09-2011 02:35 AM
Asian Cooking hailyjohn Asian Cooking 3 03-03-2011 05:58 AM
Asian Cooking Q Serendipity General Cooking 17 16-04-2005 04:21 AM
asian cooking bill Diabetic 3 04-03-2005 12:56 AM