Bubba

Default Soup thickener

Made some soup today. (rainy day, here in Fl.) I needed to thicken it a
bit but this was supposed to be a low cal soup so I didn't want to use a
Beurre manie' , and I didn't think cornstarch would work well. My eye
spied some dehydrated shitake' mushrooms I'd picked up a few weeks ago
at the base commissary (for .99 an ounce, no less). I popped them in my
spice grinder and reduced them to....well....dust, added them to the
soup and....poof! Thickened soup! Great flavor and zippydeedooda for
calories!

Food for thought!
Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Tara

On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:49:25 -0400, Bubba
> wrote:

>Made some soup today. (rainy day, here in Fl.) I needed to thicken it a
>bit but this was supposed to be a low cal soup so I didn't want to use a
>Beurre manie' , and I didn't think cornstarch would work well. My eye
>spied some dehydrated shitake' mushrooms I'd picked up a few weeks ago
>at the base commissary (for .99 an ounce, no less). I popped them in my
>spice grinder and reduced them to....well....dust, added them to the
>soup and....poof! Thickened soup! Great flavor and zippydeedooda for
>calories!

That sounds good! Dried potato flakes are also good for thickening
soup.

Tara

Serene

Bubba > wrote:

> Made some soup today. (rainy day, here in Fl.) I needed to thicken it a
> bit but this was supposed to be a low cal soup so I didn't want to use a
> Beurre manie' , and I didn't think cornstarch would work well. My eye
> spied some dehydrated shitake' mushrooms I'd picked up a few weeks ago
> at the base commissary (for .99 an ounce, no less). I popped them in my
> spice grinder and reduced them to....well....dust, added them to the
> soup and....poof! Thickened soup! Great flavor and zippydeedooda for
> calories!

Very cool.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com
Bob (this one)

Bubba wrote:
> Made some soup today. (rainy day, here in Fl.) I needed to thicken it a
> bit but this was supposed to be a low cal soup so I didn't want to use a
> Beurre manie' , and I didn't think cornstarch would work well. My eye
> spied some dehydrated shitake' mushrooms I'd picked up a few weeks ago
> at the base commissary (for .99 an ounce, no less). I popped them in my
> spice grinder and reduced them to....well....dust, added them to the
> soup and....poof! Thickened soup! Great flavor and zippydeedooda for
> calories!

Virtually any dried veggie will accomplish the same thing. Beans, too.
Pulverize and add, whisking to mix.

Pastorio
Ken

Bubba wrote:
> Made some soup today. (rainy day, here in Fl.) I needed to thicken

it a
> bit but this was supposed to be a low cal soup so I didn't want to

use a
> Beurre manie' , and I didn't think cornstarch would work well. My

eye
> spied some dehydrated shitake' mushrooms I'd picked up a few weeks

ago
> at the base commissary (for .99 an ounce, no less). I popped them in

my
> spice grinder and reduced them to....well....dust, added them to the
> soup and....poof! Thickened soup! Great flavor and zippydeedooda

for
> calories!
>
> Food for thought!
> Bubba
>
> --
> You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

When I saw the signature "Bubba", I immediately wondered why you didn't
just put some okra in the soup. And okra sure isn't going to cost
$16/pound. Basically the slime goes in the soup, stew, or gumbo and
acts as a thickener, but there isn't a slimy feel, it's too diluted.

Ken

Bubba

Ken wrote:

>Bubba wrote:
>

>>Made some soup today. (rainy day, here in Fl.) I needed to thicken
>>

>it a
>

>>bit but this was supposed to be a low cal soup so I didn't want to
>>

>use a
>

>>Beurre manie' , and I didn't think cornstarch would work well. My
>>

>eye
>

>>spied some dehydrated shitake' mushrooms I'd picked up a few weeks
>>

>ago
>

>>at the base commissary (for .99 an ounce, no less). I popped them in
>>

>my
>

>>spice grinder and reduced them to....well....dust, added them to the
>>soup and....poof! Thickened soup! Great flavor and zippydeedooda
>>

>for
>

>>calories!
>>
>>Food for thought!
>>Bubba
>>
>>--
>>You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?
>>

>When I saw the signature "Bubba", I immediately wondered why you didn't
>just put some okra in the soup. And okra sure isn't going to cost
>$16/pound. Basically the slime goes in the soup, stew, or gumbo and
>acts as a thickener, but there isn't a slimy feel, it's too diluted.
>
>Ken

File', too, but neither on hand.

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Shaun aRe

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Bubba wrote:
> > Made some soup today. (rainy day, here in Fl.) I needed to thicken it a
> > bit but this was supposed to be a low cal soup so I didn't want to use a
> > Beurre manie' , and I didn't think cornstarch would work well. My eye
> > spied some dehydrated shitake' mushrooms I'd picked up a few weeks ago
> > at the base commissary (for .99 an ounce, no less). I popped them in my
> > spice grinder and reduced them to....well....dust, added them to the
> > soup and....poof! Thickened soup! Great flavor and zippydeedooda for
> > calories!

> Virtually any dried veggie will accomplish the same thing. Beans, too.
> Pulverize and add, whisking to mix.

I often use beans too - works a treat.

Shaun aRe