Jeneen Sommers

Default gloves for dishwashing

I've decided to try to take better care of my hands
and so recently started using gloves when I do dishes.
It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, I've
tried 2 different brands (Playtex and Mr. Clean), and
they both leave my hands smelling like sulfur. Are
there any gloves out there that don't do this?

Thanks -

Jeneen
Sheldon

Jeneen Sommers wrote:
> I've decided to try to take better care of my hands
> and so recently started using gloves when I do dishes.
> It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, I've
> tried 2 different brands (Playtex and Mr. Clean), and
> they both leave my hands smelling like sulfur. Are
> there any gloves out there that don't do this?

Deje vous...

LeeValley.com

Search for <gloves, nitrile>

Get the thick ones.

Sheldon

Dimitri

"Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
ford.EDU...

> I've decided to try to take better care of my hands
> and so recently started using gloves when I do dishes.
> It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, I've
> tried 2 different brands (Playtex and Mr. Clean), and
> they both leave my hands smelling like sulfur. Are
> there any gloves out there that don't do this?
>
> Thanks -
>
> Jeneen

Get a bottle of Mavis Talc and sprinkle lightly into each glove.

Dimitri

AL

Look for nitrile gloves, usually blue in color. Try your local home center.

"Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
ford.EDU...

> I've decided to try to take better care of my hands
> and so recently started using gloves when I do dishes.
> It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, I've
> tried 2 different brands (Playtex and Mr. Clean), and
> they both leave my hands smelling like sulfur. Are
> there any gloves out there that don't do this?
>
> Thanks -
>
> Jeneen

Edwin Pawlowski

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Jeneen Sommers wrote:

> LeeValley.com
>
> Search for <gloves, nitrile>

While at Lee Valley www.leevalley.com be sure to get one of the jar
openers. I have a few around the house and gave them away to people because
I liked them so much. Simple, yet so effective.

jmcquown

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>
>> Jeneen Sommers wrote:

>> LeeValley.com
>>
>> Search for <gloves, nitrile>
>>

> While at Lee Valley www.leevalley.com be sure to get one of the jar
> openers. I have a few around the house and gave them away to people
> because I liked them so much. Simple, yet so effective.

Lee Valley has a lot of useful stuff. You'd be surprised how effective the
"old time" things are as opposed to newfangled gadgets

Jill

Dee Randall

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
> ford.EDU...
>>
>> I've decided to try to take better care of my hands
>> and so recently started using gloves when I do dishes.
>> It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, I've
>> tried 2 different brands (Playtex and Mr. Clean), and
>> they both leave my hands smelling like sulfur. Are
>> there any gloves out there that don't do this?
>>
>> Thanks -
>>
>> Jeneen

> Get a bottle of Mavis Talc and sprinkle lightly into each glove.
>
> Dimitri

See possible link between talc and ovarian cancer.
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/co...n_Ca ncer.asp

I use (from Costco & Bj's) "Safeskin [brand] Powder Free Latex Exam Gloves."
They come in different sizes. They are single use. (Should not be worn by
individuals allergic to natural rubber latex, but they offer latex-free
alternatives.) They slip on easily, and I love the fact that they are
throw-away. When washing up greasy pans, getting yukky left-over food out
of pans, really messy jobs, they are wonderful, just slip off and throw in
the trash.
I started using these because I had to use them to get on a compression
sleeve, but soon discovered other uses. They may seem too expensive, but I
find them a worthwhile expense.
Dee

Dimitri

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
>> ford.EDU...
>>>
>>> I've decided to try to take better care of my hands
>>> and so recently started using gloves when I do dishes.
>>> It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, I've
>>> tried 2 different brands (Playtex and Mr. Clean), and
>>> they both leave my hands smelling like sulfur. Are
>>> there any gloves out there that don't do this?
>>>
>>> Thanks -
>>>
>>> Jeneen

>> Get a bottle of Mavis Talc and sprinkle lightly into each glove.
>>
>> Dimitri

> See possible link between talc and ovarian cancer.
> http://www.cancer.org/docroot/NWS/co...n_Ca ncer.asp
>
> I use (from Costco & Bj's) "Safeskin [brand] Powder Free Latex Exam Gloves."
> They come in different sizes. They are single use. (Should not be worn by
> individuals allergic to natural rubber latex, but they offer latex-free
> alternatives.) They slip on easily, and I love the fact that they are
> throw-away. When washing up greasy pans, getting yukky left-over food out of
> pans, really messy jobs, they are wonderful, just slip off and throw in the
> trash.
> I started using these because I had to use them to get on a compression
> sleeve, but soon discovered other uses. They may seem too expensive, but I
> find them a worthwhile expense.
> Dee

Christ - Breathing causes Cancer..... I understand the need to be careful but
my god where is this going to end?

Dimitri

Jim Davis

snip

>>I use (from Costco & Bj's) "Safeskin [brand] Powder Free Latex Exam Gloves."
>>They come in different sizes. They are single use. (Should not be worn by
>>individuals allergic to natural rubber latex, but they offer latex-free
>>alternatives.) They slip on easily, and I love the fact that they are
>>throw-away. When washing up greasy pans, getting yukky left-over food out of
>>pans, really messy jobs, they are wonderful, just slip off and throw in the
>>trash.
>>I started using these because I had to use them to get on a compression
>>sleeve, but soon discovered other uses. They may seem too expensive, but I
>>find them a worthwhile expense.
>>Dee

I am very allergic to natural rubber latex and have a heck of a time
finding something I can use. Anyone out there have any ideas?
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 06 May 2005 09:52:38a, Jim Davis wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> snip
>
>>>I use (from Costco & Bj's) "Safeskin [brand] Powder Free Latex Exam
>>>Gloves." They come in different sizes. They are single use. (Should
>>>not be worn by individuals allergic to natural rubber latex, but they
>>>offer latex-free alternatives.) They slip on easily, and I love the
>>>fact that they are throw-away. When washing up greasy pans, getting
>>>yukky left-over food out of pans, really messy jobs, they are
>>>wonderful, just slip off and throw in the trash. I started using these
>>>because I had to use them to get on a compression sleeve, but soon
>>>discovered other uses. They may seem too expensive, but I find them a
>>>worthwhile expense. Dee
>>>

> I am very allergic to natural rubber latex and have a heck of a time
> finding something I can use. Anyone out there have any ideas?

I'm not allergic, but I happen to not like the texture of the latex gloves.
I buy disposable vinyl gloves, usually in the paint department of many
stores.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Jeneen Sommers

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. The only nitrile gloves I've
been able to find locally are short (the water runs in when I do dishes).
I also tried neoprene gloves, which don't smell like sulfur, but get very
slippery in soapy water (not good for dishes). I'll order some longer
nitrile gloves online.

Thanks again -

Jeneen

On Wed, 4 May 2005, AL wrote:

> Look for nitrile gloves, usually blue in color. Try your local home center.
>
> "Jeneen Sommers" > wrote in message
> ford.EDU...
>>
>> I've decided to try to take better care of my hands
>> and so recently started using gloves when I do dishes.
>> It isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But, I've
>> tried 2 different brands (Playtex and Mr. Clean), and
>> they both leave my hands smelling like sulfur. Are
>> there any gloves out there that don't do this?
>>
>> Thanks -
>>
>> Jeneen

Nancy Young

"Jim Davis" > wrote

> I am very allergic to natural rubber latex and have a heck of a time
> finding something I can use. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Have you checked a medical supply store?

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 06 May 2005 11:26:36a, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Jim Davis" > wrote
>
>> I am very allergic to natural rubber latex and have a heck of a time
>> finding something I can use. Anyone out there have any ideas?

> Have you checked a medical supply store?
>
> nancy

There are tons of websites that have gloves in a large assortment of
materials that are not latex. Most come in disposable as well as multiple
use versions. The prices seem reasonable, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Nancy Young

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> On Fri 06 May 2005 11:26:36a, Nancy Young wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>> "Jim Davis" > wrote
>>
>>> I am very allergic to natural rubber latex and have a heck of a time
>>> finding something I can use. Anyone out there have any ideas?

>> Have you checked a medical supply store?

> There are tons of websites that have gloves in a large assortment of
> materials that are not latex. Most come in disposable as well as multiple
> use versions. The prices seem reasonable, too.

Duh, of course, I should have thought of that. Good answer.

nancy

AL

Nitrile or neoprene. Both are inert. Try your local home center if you
can't find them.

While we're on this topic, I don't understand why no one makes condoms out
of nitrile. They could be made super thin and unbreakable.