Kathy

Default Whole Wheat Pizza Crust Request

Hi! Would anyone know a good whole wheat pizza crust recipe?
Thanks in advance!
kathleen

Peter Aitken

"Kathy" > wrote in message
> Hi! Would anyone know a good whole wheat pizza crust recipe?
> Thanks in advance!
> kathleen

I do not have a specific recipe but I can tell you that a pizza stone is
even more important with whole wheat crusts.

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

>"Peter Aitken" lied:
>
>"Kathy"says:
>>Would anyone know a good whole wheat pizza crust recipe?

>I do not have a specific recipe but I can tell you that a pizza stone is
>even more important with whole wheat crusts.

If you have no recipe how would you know? duh Idiot.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Dimitri

"Kathy" > wrote in message
> Hi! Would anyone know a good whole wheat pizza crust recipe?
> Thanks in advance!
> kathleen

This should help:

Dimitri

--WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA CRUST:--

1 to 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 pkg. Rapid Rise Yeast
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 c. water
Pam vegetable oil spray

In large bowl combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, salt, sugar and yeast;
blend well. In small saucepan or microwave, heat water and oil until very
warm (120-130 degrees); add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until
moistened; beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in 1/2 cup whole wheat
flour and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough. On floured
surface, knead in 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour until dough is smooth and
elastic, about 3-5 minutes. Place dough in bowl; cover with cloth towel.
Let rise in warm place (80-85 degrees) until light and doubled in size,
about 45 minutes. Punch down dough several times to remove all air bubbles.
Divide in half. Press each half into 12-inch pizza pan (that has been
sprayed with Pam). Let rise 15-30 minutes. --VEGGIE TOPPINGS:--

2 c. Ragu 100% Natural Pizza Sauce
1 c. julienne-cut carrots
1 c. sliced fresh/canned mushrooms
2 tbsp. oregano
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 lg. bunch fresh broccoli, chopped
1 c. diced green or red bell pepper
1/2 to 1 c. chopped onion
4 c. shredded part-skim Mozzarella
cheese

Spread 1 cup pizza sauce over each crust. Arrange 1/2 of the broccoli,
carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, onion and oregano (in that order) over the
sauce of each pizza crust. Sprinkle 1/2 of the Mozzarella and 1/2 of the
Parmesan cheese over each pizza. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes or
until crust is deep golden brown. Yield: two 12-inch pizzas.

Socks

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:17:00 +0000, Kathy wrote:

> Hi! Would anyone know a good whole wheat pizza crust recipe? Thanks in
> advance!
> kathleen

i make something which is sort of a scaled-down version of the Napoletana
Pizza Dough from Peter Reinhart's book. scaled down to 2 cups white
flour, it makes a pizza that fits my paddle and stone. you can cut that
white flour with wheat to your taste.

1.5 cups white and 0.5 cups wheat make the flavor plenty full for me. that
might vary with the flavor of your wheat flour.

iirc, i use 2 cups flour, 2/3 cups water, 1 tsp kosher salt, 1/4 to 1 tsp
instant yeast (and if you are using high gluten bread flour 1 tsp olive
oil per cup of flour)

i use my bread machine in dough mode, and either (for best results)
1/4 tsp yeast and pull the dough out after its first kneading and put
it in an oiled zip-lock for refrigerator rising all day, or (if i'm in a
hurry) 1 tsp yeast and let it run all the way in dough mode and
immediately roll out and bake.

Peter Aitken

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
m...

> "Kathy" > wrote in message
> > Hi! Would anyone know a good whole wheat pizza crust recipe?
> > Thanks in advance!
> > kathleen

> This should help:
>

> Dimitri
>

> --WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA CRUST:--
>
> 1 to 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
> 1/2 tsp. sugar
> 1 pkg. Rapid Rise Yeast
> 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
> 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 3/4 c. water
> Pam vegetable oil spray

Nice recipe but I hardly think a recipe where only 25% of the flour is whole
wheat and the rest is white qualifies as "whole wheat."

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message

<First Recipe snipped>

> Nice recipe but I hardly think a recipe where only 25% of the flour is

whole
> wheat and the rest is white qualifies as "whole wheat."
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

IMHO the ratio of whole wheat flour to regular flour is a matter of taste
and texture. In my experiance the more whole wheat the "heavier" the
finishesd product.

Dimitri

OK here's mo

WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA CRUST
2/3 c. warm water
1 env. yeast
3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 tbsp. oil
1 c. whole wheat flour

Mix yeast with water. Add flour, sugar and salt. Beat together. Add egg
and oil, beat until blended. Stir in wheat flour until soft dough forms.
Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead 5 minutes or until dough is soft and
smooth. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover, let rise in warm place until
doubled in bulk; about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly
grease pan. Bake 10 minutes. Add sauce, etc, and bake as usual.

And more

WHOLE WHEAT ZUCCHINI PIZZA
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water (about 110 degrees)
2 tbsp. salad oil
1 tsp. each salt, sugar, dry basil & oregano leaves
1/4 c. wheat germ
1 1/2 c. each all-purpose flour & whole wheat flour
All-purpose flour for kneading
Tomato sauce (recipe follows)
2 med. size zucchini, thinly sliced
1/2 green or red bell pepper, seeded & thinly sliced
4 green onions (including tops), thinly sliced
1 can (2 1/4 oz.) sliced ripe olives
1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained & quartered
3 c. (12 oz.) shredded Jack cheese
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add oil, salt, sugar, basil,
oregano, wheat germ and all-purpose flour. Beat until smooth (about 3
minutes, if using electric mixer). Using a heavy duty mixer or wooden
spoon, beat in whole wheat flour until dough holds together. Turn out onto
a lightly floured board and knead until dough is smooth and elastic (about 5
minutes). Turn over in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a arm place
until dough has doubled in size (about 45 minutes). Meanwhile, prepare
tomato sauce. Punch dough down and divide in half. Roll out each half to
form a 14 inch circle, then transfer each circle onto a greased 14 inch
pizza pan. One at a time, bake on next to bottom rack of a 450 degree oven
for about 7 minutes or just until bottom of crust starts to brown. During
baking, watch carefully and prick any bubbles that form. Remove from oven
and set aside. To assemble pizza, spread tomato sauce over crust. Arrange
zucchini, bell pepper, green onions, olives and artichoke quarters over
sauce. Sprinkle Jack cheese and Parmesan over all. Bake in a 450 degree
oven for 12-15 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut hot pizzas in wedges to
serve. Makes 2 pizzas; each serves 6. Tomato Sauce: In a wide frying pan
over medium heat, cook 1 large onion (chopped) in 2 tablespoons olive oil or
salad oil until soft. Stir in 1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce, 1 can (6
ounce) tomato paste, 1/2 cup red wine, 1 teaspoon each oregano leaves and
dry basil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

> Remove the crap from my email ad>

Socks

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 20:37:38 +0000, Peter Aitken wrote:

> Nice recipe but I hardly think a recipe where only 25% of the flour is
> whole wheat and the rest is white qualifies as "whole wheat."

having gone as high as 25% i think i might go lower, at least for a
naples-style crust. it seems to be in the same ballpark as the "whole
wheat" pizzas i've had at restaurants (well, pizza joints).

fwiw, peter reinhard in "american pie" recommends even lower "You can also
substitute a small amount, up to 1 tablespoon per cup of four, of
whole-wheat or rye flour for the all-purpose flour. The addition of a
small amount of whole-grain flour gives teh dough a pleasant country-style
quantity; many people actually prefer it."
Mr. Wizard

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
>

> > Nice recipe but I hardly think a recipe where only 25% of the flour is
>> whole wheat and the rest is white qualifies as "whole wheat."
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken

> IMHO the ratio of whole wheat flour to regular flour is a matter of taste
> and texture. In my experiance the more whole wheat the "heavier" the
> finishesd product.
>
> Dimitri

Amen to that. Depending on the actual type of wheat used,
it can be difficult to digest at more than 25%.

<snip recipe>

Saerah

Mr. Wizard wrote in message ...

>"Dimitri" > wrote in message
.. .

>> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
>>

>> > Nice recipe but I hardly think a recipe where only 25% of the flour is
>>> whole wheat and the rest is white qualifies as "whole wheat."
>> >

>> > --
>> > Peter Aitken

>> IMHO the ratio of whole wheat flour to regular flour is a matter of taste
>> and texture. In my experiance the more whole wheat the "heavier" the
>> finishesd product.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>

>Amen to that. Depending on the actual type of wheat used,
>it can be difficult to digest at more than 25%.
>
><snip recipe>

i use the pizza crust recipe in 'the joy of cooking', and substitute whole
wheat flour for all of the all-purpose it calls for. the dough is firmer
than 'normal', and it is better suited to rolling out, as opposed to
stretching out. tastes great! i need to get a pizza stone, however.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it
had an underlying truth."

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

PENMART01

>Peter Aitken sobs:
>
>Nice recipe but I hardly think a recipe where only 25% of the flour is whole
>wheat and the rest is white qualifies as "whole wheat."

Sure it does, shit for brains, no one asked for 100% whole wheat.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Julia Altshuler

Kathy wrote:
> Hi! Would anyone know a good whole wheat pizza crust recipe?

For whole wheat anything, my old standby is always _Laurel's Kitchen_

1 packet active dry yeast
1 2/3 cups warm water
4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Dissolve yeast in warm water.
Mix the flour, pepper and salt together, making a well in the center.
Add the yeast liquid and mix together.
Knead.
Cover and set in a warm, draft-free place.
Let rise. Deflate. Let rise again.

Press the dough flat and divide in 2.
Get sauce and garnishes ready.
Grease pans and dust with cornmeal.

Rolls out dough in circles. Good dough is elastic so keep rolling.
Transfer to pans.
Let rest another 15 minutes.

Sauce it up and bake.

--Lia

A mukluk wearing troll

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:15:49 -0400, "Saerah"
> wrote:

>Mr. Wizard wrote in message ...
>>"Dimitri" wrote in message
>>Peter Aitken" wrote in message:

<more snippage>

>i use the pizza crust recipe in 'the joy of cooking', and substitute whole
>wheat flour for all of the all-purpose it calls for. the dough is firmer
>than 'normal', and it is better suited to rolling out, as opposed to
>stretching out. tastes great! i need to get a pizza stone, however.

Seconded. I do the sam (using the same recipe), but add a touch more
water to the mix and a pinch of xanthan gum. (I now have it on hand
for making baked goods for my gluten intolerant mom). the xanthan gum
acts as an additional binder, compensating for the increased wheat
germ. A tsp or so of tapioca flour would work as well.

It stretches quite nicely. I get two thin shells per batch, or one
thick shell.

I've also started making the dough ahead. After first rise, I divide
it up and pop it in the freezer until it's needed. If you put the
frozen lump in the fridge when you leave for work, it's ready to use
for pizza when you get home, assuming an eight hour or longer workday.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario