jmcquown

Default Olive Garden

I don't care much for chain restaurants and hadn't been to an Olive Garden
in at least 10 years. Our experience last weekend at the one next to our
hotel in Huntsville was pretty good. The food was good, the server was
excellent. I ordered the minestrone as a substitute because I don't like
salads. John had salad and their stuffed chicken marsala with garlic mashed
potatoes. I had crab and shrimp ravioli. Darned tasty stuff.

The server overheard me talking about recreating some of this at home.
Minestrone is easy but I really liked the taste of this. Without a word he
brought me a booklet with some of their Tuscany recipes. I just got home
yesterday so I haven't tried them but I thought I'd share a couple with you.
These aren't from a "copycat" site.

Risotto with Spring Vegetables

1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 c. yellow onion, finely diced
2 c. arborio rice
1/2 c. dry white wine
8 cups chicken broth
1/2 lb. asparagus, bottom ends removed
1 medium yellow squash
1 c. peas, frozen
1/2 c. butter
1-1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
Freshly chopped parsley

Simmer broth in a medium saucepan; set aside. In a stockpot, heat oil over
medium heat. Add onions; cook 3 minutes or until soft. Add rice and coat
thoroughly; cook 1 minute. Add wine to rice mixture and stir until
absorbed. Add 1/2 cup of broth to the mixture. Stir frequently to avoid
sticking. Once absorbed, add another 1/2 cup of broth; stir frequently.
Repeat process until 4 cups of broth have been absorbed. While the rice
mixture is cooking, cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Cut the squash
into 1-inch by 1/4-inch sticks. Add the squash, asparagus and peas to the
BROTH pot. Cook 3 minutes. Remove the vegetables and add to the rice
mixture. Add broth 1/2 cup at a time until desired creaminess. When the
broth is absorbed into the rice mixture, add butter and cheese. Salt &
pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley. Finished risotto is creamy and the
rice is firm.
Cook time: 30 minutes. Serves 6

Fettucini with Shrimp and Zucchini

1 lb. Fettucini, dry
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. garlic, chopped
2 Tbs. parsley, chopped
1 medium zucchini
1 lb. large shrimp
1 c. dry white wine
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. black pepper
4 Tbs. butter
6 lemon wedges
chopped parsley for garnish

Cut zucchini into 2-inch by 1/4-inch sticks. Peel and devein shrimp. Cook
fettucini per package directions. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a
large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and parsley. Cook
for 1 minute. Add zucchini. Cook additional minute. Add the shrimp, wine,
salt, pepper and butter. Stir well and cook shrimp about 5 minutes or until
they are no longer opaque. Add the drained pasta to the mixture and toss to
mix. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste. Use tongs to pull the
pasta and veggies onto the serving platter. Squeeze two lemon wedges over
the dish; garnish with parsley.
Cook time: 20 minutes. Serves 4

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

H. Harrand

Jill? Huntsville, Texas or Huntsville, Alabama? If it was the latter, I
wish I had known you were here! You could have a) come the the party that I
threw last weekend for the agency that I used to work for and b) I could
have shown you some of our *cool* restaurants!

If it's Huntsville, AL then let me know when you're here again!

helen

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
t...
> [...]

> fettucini per package directions. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a
> large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and parsley.

Cook
> for 1 minute. Add zucchini. Cook additional minute. Add the shrimp,

wine,
> salt, pepper and butter. Stir well and cook shrimp about 5 minutes or

until
> they are no longer opaque. Add the drained pasta to the mixture and toss

> mix. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste. Use tongs to pull

the
> pasta and veggies onto the serving platter. Squeeze two lemon wedges over
> the dish; garnish with parsley.
> Cook time: 20 minutes. Serves 4
>
> Jill
> --
> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Grizzman

If you go here you can get many of their recipes

http://www.olivegarden.com/ourpassio...content=search

Grizzman

jmcquown wrote:
> [...]
> 1 lb. large shrimp
> 1 c. dry white wine
> 3/4 tsp. salt
> 3/4 tsp. black pepper
> 4 Tbs. butter
> 6 lemon wedges
> chopped parsley for garnish
>
> Cut zucchini into 2-inch by 1/4-inch sticks. Peel and devein shrimp. Cook
> fettucini per package directions. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a
> large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and parsley. Cook
> for 1 minute. Add zucchini. Cook additional minute. Add the shrimp, wine,
> salt, pepper and butter. Stir well and cook shrimp about 5 minutes or until
> they are no longer opaque. Add the drained pasta to the mixture and toss to
> mix. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste. Use tongs to pull the
> pasta and veggies onto the serving platter. Squeeze two lemon wedges over

Gal Called Jani

One time on Usenet, "jmcquown" > said:

> I don't care much for chain restaurants and hadn't been to an Olive Garden
> in at least 10 years. Our experience last weekend at the one next to our
> hotel in Huntsville was pretty good. The food was good, the server was
> excellent. I ordered the minestrone as a substitute because I don't like
> salads.

I rarely eat at Olive Garden either, but I remember that I like
their Zuppa Toscana soup (potatoes and sausage, yum!).

> John had salad and their stuffed chicken marsala with garlic mashed
> potatoes. I had crab and shrimp ravioli. Darned tasty stuff.
>
> The server overheard me talking about recreating some of this at home.
> Minestrone is easy but I really liked the taste of this. Without a word he
> brought me a booklet with some of their Tuscany recipes. I just got home
> yesterday so I haven't tried them but I thought I'd share a couple with you.
> These aren't from a "copycat" site. <snip>

> Fettucini with Shrimp and Zucchini

What a nice server! Thanks for sharing, Jill -- this one sounds
excellent...

--
Jani in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same
jmcquown

H. Harrand wrote:
> Jill? Huntsville, Texas or Huntsville, Alabama? If it was the
> latter, I wish I had known you were here! You could have a) come the
> the party that I threw last weekend for the agency that I used to
> work for and b) I could have shown you some of our *cool* restaurants!
>
> If it's Huntsville, AL then let me know when you're here again!
>
> helen

Helen, it was Alabama! Darn, I missed a party! Actually, we created our
own party But we were working Panoply (my DH is a painter) all weekend
so I'm not sure how much time we'd have had. Still, it would have been fun
to meet!

You can see some of his newer paintings he

http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ

I'm solely responsible for the bad photography.

Jill

> [...]
>> 6 lemon wedges
>> chopped parsley for garnish
>>
>> Cut zucchini into 2-inch by 1/4-inch sticks. Peel and devein
>> shrimp. Cook fettucini per package directions. While pasta is
>> cooking, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the
>> chopped garlic and parsley. Cook for 1 minute. Add zucchini. Cook
>> additional minute. Add the shrimp, wine, salt, pepper and butter.
>> Stir well and cook shrimp about 5 minutes or until they are no
>> longer opaque. Add the drained pasta to the mixture and toss to
>> mix. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste. Use tongs to
>> pull the pasta and veggies onto the serving platter. Squeeze two
>> lemon wedges over the dish; garnish with parsley.
>> Cook time: 20 minutes. Serves 4
>>
>> Jill
>> --
>> I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

jmcquown

Grizzman wrote:
> If you go here you can get many of their recipes
>
> http://www.olivegarden.com/ourpassio...content=search
>
> Grizzman

That site features the same "booklet" of recipes I was given

Jill

> [...]
>> 1 c. dry white wine
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>> 3/4 tsp. black pepper
>> 4 Tbs. butter
>> 6 lemon wedges
>> chopped parsley for garnish
>>
>> Cut zucchini into 2-inch by 1/4-inch sticks. Peel and devein
>> shrimp. Cook fettucini per package directions. While pasta is
>> cooking, heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the
>> chopped garlic and parsley. Cook for 1 minute. Add zucchini. Cook
>> additional minute. Add the shrimp, wine, salt, pepper and butter.
>> Stir well and cook shrimp about 5 minutes or until they are no
>> longer opaque. Add the drained pasta to the mixture and toss to
>> mix. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste. Use tongs to
>> pull the pasta and veggies onto the serving platter. Squeeze two
>> lemon wedges over the dish; garnish with parsley.

Deb

Well thats just too wierd - I live in Huntsville AL too.

Deb

"H. Harrand" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and parsley.

> Cook
> > for 1 minute. Add zucchini. Cook additional minute. Add the shrimp,

> wine,
> > salt, pepper and butter. Stir well and cook shrimp about 5 minutes or

> until
> > they are no longer opaque. Add the drained pasta to the mixture and

toss
> > mix. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste. Use tongs to pull

> the
> > pasta and veggies onto the serving platter. Squeeze two lemon wedges

over
> > the dish; garnish with parsley.
> > Cook time: 20 minutes. Serves 4
> >
> > Jill
> > --
> > I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Dimitri

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
t...
> H. Harrand wrote:
>> Jill? Huntsville, Texas or Huntsville, Alabama? If it was the
>> latter, I wish I had known you were here! You could have a) come the
>> the party that I threw last weekend for the agency that I used to
>> work for and b) I could have shown you some of our *cool* restaurants!
>>
>> If it's Huntsville, AL then let me know when you're here again!
>>
>> helen
>>

> Helen, it was Alabama! Darn, I missed a party! Actually, we created our
> own party But we were working Panoply (my DH is a painter) all weekend
> so I'm not sure how much time we'd have had. Still, it would have been fun
> to meet!
>
> You can see some of his newer paintings he
>
> http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ
>
> I'm solely responsible for the bad photography.

Nice work -

OK Very Nice Work.
\
The paintings

Dimitri

Dimitri

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
t...
>I don't care much for chain restaurants and hadn't been to an Olive Garden
> in at least 10 years. Our experience last weekend at the one next to our
> hotel in Huntsville was pretty good. The food was good, the server was
> excellent. I ordered the minestrone as a substitute because I don't like
> salads. John had salad and their stuffed chicken marsala with garlic mashed
> potatoes. I had crab and shrimp ravioli. Darned tasty stuff.

I like their salad and their soups are better than the norm HOWEVER their menu
names make me NUTS:

There is no such thing as Chicken Scampi or Shrimp Alfredo or Chicken Alfredo,
or Alfredo Sauce.

It just popularizes misinformation.

Dimitri

jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> t...
>> H. Harrand wrote:
>>> Jill? Huntsville, Texas or Huntsville, Alabama? If it was the
>>> latter, I wish I had known you were here! You could have a) come
>>> the
>>> the party that I threw last weekend for the agency that I used to
>>> work for and b) I could have shown you some of our *cool*
>>> restaurants!
>>>
>>> If it's Huntsville, AL then let me know when you're here again!
>>>
>>> helen
>>>

>> Helen, it was Alabama! Darn, I missed a party! Actually, we
>> created our own party But we were working Panoply (my DH is a
>> painter) all weekend so I'm not sure how much time we'd have had.
>> Still, it would have been fun to meet!
>>
>> You can see some of his newer paintings he
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ
>>
>> I'm solely responsible for the bad photography.

> Nice work -
>
> OK Very Nice Work.
> \
> The paintings
>
> Dimitri

Thanks, Dimitri! Did I mention they are for sale? LOL He's been painting
since he was knee-high to a grasshopper but he did graduate from the Memphis
College of Art and has been doing this professionally for 35 years. You
can't tell he likes music

Jill

H. Harrand

Deb? Do you work for a non profit org? If so, I *think* I know you!

hugs,
helen

&
> > > pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley. Finished risotto is creamy

and
> > the
> > > rice is firm.
> > > Cook time: 30 minutes. Serves 6
> > >
> > > Fettucini with Shrimp and Zucchini
> > >
> > > 1 lb. Fettucini, dry
> > > 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
> > > 1 Tbs. garlic, chopped
> > > 2 Tbs. parsley, chopped
> > > 1 medium zucchini
> > > 1 lb. large shrimp
> > > 1 c. dry white wine
> > > 3/4 tsp. salt
> > > 3/4 tsp. black pepper
> > > 4 Tbs. butter
> > > 6 lemon wedges
> > > chopped parsley for garnish
> > >
> > > Cut zucchini into 2-inch by 1/4-inch sticks. Peel and devein shrimp.

> > Cook
> > > fettucini per package directions. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in

> > > large saute pan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and parsley.

> > Cook
> > > for 1 minute. Add zucchini. Cook additional minute. Add the shrimp,

> > wine,
> > > salt, pepper and butter. Stir well and cook shrimp about 5 minutes or

> > until
> > > they are no longer opaque. Add the drained pasta to the mixture and

> toss
> > > mix. Season with additional salt & pepper to taste. Use tongs to

pull
> > the
> > > pasta and veggies onto the serving platter. Squeeze two lemon wedges

> over
> > > the dish; garnish with parsley.
> > > Cook time: 20 minutes. Serves 4
> > >
> > > Jill
> > > --
> > > I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Dimitri

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
<SNIP>

>>> You can see some of his newer paintings he
>>>
>>> http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ
>>>
>>> I'm solely responsible for the bad photography.

>> Nice work -
>>
>> OK Very Nice Work.
>> \
>> The paintings
>>
>> Dimitri

> Thanks, Dimitri! Did I mention they are for sale? LOL He's been painting
> since he was knee-high to a grasshopper but he did graduate from the Memphis
> College of Art and has been doing this professionally for 35 years. You
> can't tell he likes music
>
> Jill

Music? I can tell. He has a very interesting style.

If I bring home another painting (piece of art) I may get shot - We will soon be
at the stage where we will have to decide what to keep and what to give up -
sell - give away (sob sob) give to the girls.

Dimitri

jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news >
> <SNIP>

>>> OK Very Nice Work.
>>> \
>>> The paintings
>>>
>>> Dimitri

>> Thanks, Dimitri! Did I mention they are for sale? LOL
>>
>> Jill

> Music? I can tell. He has a very interesting style.

Yes, he does. I'll tell him you said so; he'll appreciate it.

> If I bring home another painting (piece of art) I may get shot -

Oh, not to worry, you don't have to bring it home. He'll be happy to ship
it to you! heheh

We
> will soon be at the stage where we will have to decide what to keep
> and what to give up - sell - give away (sob sob) give to the girls.
>
> Dimitri

Running out of wallspace? He'll build you a wall LOL We were in a house
last fall after delivering a large painting. We helped them figure out
where to hang it. The couple had designed the house around their art
collections. No wasted corner was left without a built-in pedestal. No
wall space wasted where they could build in a nook for a piece of pottery.
It was a fantastic house. (HUGE SIGH)

Jill

Joseph Littleshoes

Discussing onions and the bane of chopping them in another group i
thought to post a link to this Vermeer painting.

http://www.artunframed.com/images/artmis6/dou77.jpg

---
Joseph Littleshoes

jmcquown

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> Discussing onions and the bane of chopping them in another group i
> thought to post a link to this Vermeer painting.
>
> http://www.artunframed.com/images/artmis6/dou77.jpg
>
> ---
> Joseph Littleshoes

Ah, very much (to my limited knowledge) looking like Vermeer was one of the
Dutch masters

My DH (Dear Heart, lest anyone misconstrue) is sort of a contemporary
impressionist. It does vary from month to month.

Jill

Joseph Littleshoes

jmcquown wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> > Discussing onions and the bane of chopping them in another group i
> > thought to post a link to this Vermeer painting.
> >
> > http://www.artunframed.com/images/artmis6/dou77.jpg
> >
> > ---
> > Joseph Littleshoes

> Ah, very much (to my limited knowledge) looking like Vermeer was one
> of the
> Dutch masters
>
> My DH (Dear Heart, lest anyone misconstrue) is sort of a contemporary
> impressionist. It does vary from month to month.
>
> Jill

I have to admit i prefer the old masters to most modern art. Your DH's
paintings remind me of works i have seen before but i can't recall the
name right this moment (have to drag out the old back issues of
connoisseur magazine) of who painted them.
---
Joseph Littleshoes

Margaret Suran

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> t...

>> You can see some of his newer paintings he
>>
>> http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ
>>
>> I'm solely responsible for the bad photography.

Jill, What beautiful paintings. Thank you for taking the pictures and
posting them. M

jmcquown

Margaret Suran wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> You can see some of his newer paintings he
>>>
>>> http://community.webshots.com/album/332698141UtcsuJ
>>>
>>> I'm solely responsible for the bad photography.

> Jill, What beautiful paintings. Thank you for taking the pictures and
> posting them. M

You're welcome. I'll tell John you liked them; he will be pleased. I've
told him all about you

Jill

Margaret Suran

jmcquown wrote:
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>
>>>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.net...

>>Jill, What beautiful paintings. Thank you for taking the pictures and
>>posting them. M

> You're welcome. I'll tell John you liked them; he will be pleased. I've
> told him all about you
>
> Jill

Yes, please do tell him that. Also, that I just love the "Jill"
picture, but that my favorite is "Duet". Looking at it, it is
something wonderfully familiar and soothing. Don't mind me, I know
nothing about art, just what I like. M

jmcquown

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>>> Discussing onions and the bane of chopping them in another group i
>>> thought to post a link to this Vermeer painting.
>>>
>>> http://www.artunframed.com/images/artmis6/dou77.jpg
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Joseph Littleshoes

>> Ah, very much (to my limited knowledge) looking like Vermeer was one
>> of the
>> Dutch masters
>>
>> My DH (Dear Heart, lest anyone misconstrue) is sort of a contemporary
>> impressionist. It does vary from month to month.
>>
>> Jill

> I have to admit i prefer the old masters to most modern art. Your
> DH's paintings remind me of works i have seen before but i can't
> recall the name right this moment (have to drag out the old back
> issues of connoisseur magazine) of who painted them.
> ---
> Joseph Littleshoes

It may not be paintings you remember. We have people walk into the booth
who "see" music. Up close and personal, his work is very evocative and
almost makes the work sing

Jill

jmcquown

Margaret Suran wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Jill, What beautiful paintings. Thank you for taking the pictures
>>> and posting them. M

>> You're welcome. I'll tell John you liked them; he will be pleased.
>> I've told him all about you
>>
>> Jill
>>

> picture, but that my favorite is "Duet". Looking at it, it is
> something wonderfully familiar and soothing. Don't mind me, I know
> nothing about art, just what I like. M

That's what art is about... just what you like. I know nothing about art,
either. I sort of cringe when he asks me to name his paintings. I am a
total art novice.

Jill

jmcquown

Margaret Suran wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Jill, What beautiful paintings. Thank you for taking the pictures
>>> and posting them. M

>> You're welcome. I'll tell John you liked them; he will be pleased.
>> I've told him all about you
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Yes, please do tell him that. Also, that I just love the "Jill"
> picture, but that my favorite is "Duet". Looking at it, it is
> something wonderfully familiar and soothing. Don't mind me, I know
> nothing about art, just what I like. M

Note: the "Jill" painting he did back in 1985. I had my hair in a curly
perm back when we first dated. After he added the kitty-cat to the painting
he changed "my" hair to look like the cat's fur. But that's me in the
painting, no doubt about it It's now hanging in my hallway.

Jill

jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> t...
>> I don't care much for chain restaurants and hadn't been to an Olive
>> Garden in at least 10 years. Our experience last weekend at the one
>> next to our hotel in Huntsville was pretty good. The food was good,
>> the server was excellent. I ordered the minestrone as a substitute
>> because I don't like salads. John had salad and their stuffed
>> chicken marsala with garlic mashed potatoes. I had crab and shrimp
>> ravioli. Darned tasty stuff.
>>

> I like their salad and their soups are better than the norm HOWEVER
> their menu names make me NUTS:
>
> There is no such thing as Chicken Scampi or Shrimp Alfredo or Chicken
> Alfredo, or Alfredo Sauce.
>
> It just popularizes misinformation.
>
> Dimitri

Hmmmm, guess I'll make Alfredo Sauce to go with some angel hair pasta... on
second thought (!) maybe just a bechamel with grated Parmesan cheese.

Jill <--- loves teasing Dimitri

Michel Boucher

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Hmmmm, guess I'll make Alfredo Sauce to go with some angel hair
> pasta... on second thought (!) maybe just a bechamel with grated
> Parmesan cheese.

Peccorino Romano is better. Get the imported stuff.

--

[...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth

Monty Python's Universe Song
Rick & Cyndi

"Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Hmmmm, guess I'll make Alfredo Sauce to go with some angel hair
>> pasta... on second thought (!) maybe just a bechamel with grated
>> Parmesan cheese.

> Peccorino Romano is better. Get the imported stuff.
>
> --
> ===========================

<shrug> Not me. I prefer Parmesana Reggiano (sp?) to any form of Romano.

Cyndi

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 01 May 2005 12:20:48p, Rick & Cyndi wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Michel Boucher" > wrote in message
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Hmmmm, guess I'll make Alfredo Sauce to go with some angel hair
>>> pasta... on second thought (!) maybe just a bechamel with grated
>>> Parmesan cheese.

>> Peccorino Romano is better. Get the imported stuff.
>>
>> --
>> ===========================

> <shrug> Not me. I prefer Parmesana Reggiano (sp?) to any form of
> Romano.
>
> Cyndi

I will take either!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
jmcquown

Michel Boucher wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Hmmmm, guess I'll make Alfredo Sauce to go with some angel hair
>> pasta... on second thought (!) maybe just a bechamel with grated
>> Parmesan cheese.

> Peccorino Romano is better. Get the imported stuff.

I have imported Parm... Romano is good but I don't have any!

Jill

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Deb"
> wrote:

> Well thats just too wierd - I live in Huntsville AL too.
>
> Deb
>

> "H. Harrand" > wrote in message
> > Jill? Huntsville, Texas or Huntsville, Alabama? If it was the
> > latter, I wish I had known you were here! You could have a) come
> > the the party that

Uh-oh. An Alabama Cook-In in the works?
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated in late-April.

Olive Garden Victor Kingano General Cooking 126 16-04-2012 12:17 PM
Olive Garden sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 15-04-2012 06:07 PM
Olive Garden George M. Middius[_2_] General Cooking 2 14-04-2012 05:07 PM
Olive Garden Dee Randall General Cooking 36 25-03-2006 07:05 PM
olive garden ........... please some one help me with this please Carmen 04 Restaurants 4 21-03-2004 01:57 AM