Default Crepes and crepe pan

I volunteered to make 50 or so crepes. I figured it's basically a thin
French pancake laying under sweet wet sauce, and the consumers of the crepe
aren't looking for gourmet, and apparently I can make them a day ahead, so
what could go wrong?

I may not have time for a lot of experimenting this next week, so

Any suggestions/hints as to ingredients, technique or equipment are
appreciated.

Experience----
I have experience only in wheat and corn based pancakes: pancakes,
flannelcakes, Swedish pancakes, flapjacks, abelskiver, and some others, but
I have never made a crepe - or maybe it has been so long that I don't
remember anymore :- ).
For most of those, I basically wipe the griddle with oiled paper towel,
check for heat by dancing cold water on the griddle, mix the batter little,
toss out the first one, and use the bubbles to tell when to turn. I vary
temp and/or mix time just a little for the different consistencies of each.

Equipment----
I almost always use the old aluminum built-in griddle for pancakes and
the like, hot spots and all.
Otherwise, I can use
a large and a medium top-grade iron-core commercial non-stick "rounded
sides" pan (as in from the restaurant supply house, heats slower than
blazes, wears like iron, and is cheap enough I can use it)
large, medium, and small iron frying pans (upright sides);
cruset large and small iron-interior skillets (sloping sides) and large
and small enameled-interior shallow "frying" pans, and
a built-in griddle.
I also have a large electric stainless steel frying pan, and I have an
electric dual 6-7" krumkake iron which might work .

I saw "crepe pans". which appear to have sharp interior corners and a
flat bottom about 7 inches across. Are they really useful?

I have steel flat turning spatulas, plastic flat turning spatulas
(Target-type), two sizes of commercial hi-temp spatulas (the kind that are
"ends-on-a-stick" ), and a wooden spatula.

any helpful input is appreciated

Dimitri

"--" > wrote in message
>I volunteered to make 50 or so crepes. I figured it's basically a thin
> French pancake laying under sweet wet sauce, and the consumers of the crepe
> aren't looking for gourmet, and apparently I can make them a day ahead, so
> what could go wrong?

Use this recipe -

Note - Making the batter at least 1 day before you use it is HIGHLY recommended.

Dimitri

http://www.recipesource.com/main-dis...0/rec0006.html

Crepe Batter

Recipe By : Cooking Live Show #CL8863
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cooking Live

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup milk
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter -- melted and cooled,
-- plus some for the
-- pan
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a blender or food processor blend flour, 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, m
ilk, eggs, butter, and salt for 5 seconds. Turn the motor off and scrape sides
down, with a rubber spatula. Transfer the batter into a bowl and let it stand,
covered, for 1 hour. The batter may be made up to one day in advance.

Heat a 7 to 8-inch crepe or non-stick skillet over moderate heat until it is ho
t but not smoking and remove from heat. Brush the pan as necessary with butter.
Stir the batter, half fill a 1/4 cup measure with it, and pour the batter into
the pan. Tilt and rotate the pan quickly to cover the bottom with a thin layer
of batter and return any excess batter to the bowl. Return the pan to the heat
, loosen the edge of the crepe with a spatula, and cook the crepe until the und
er side is browned lightly. Turn the crepe, brown the other side lightly and tr
ansfer to a plate. Crepes can be made in advance, stacked, wrapped in plastic a
nd stored refrigerated for 3 days or frozen.

Yield: 20 crepes

Dave Smith

-- wrote:

> I volunteered to make 50 or so crepes. I figured it's basically a thin
> French pancake laying under sweet wet sauce, and the consumers of the crepe
> aren't looking for gourmet, and apparently I can make them a day ahead, so
> what could go wrong?
>
> I may not have time for a lot of experimenting this next week, so
>
> Any suggestions/hints as to ingredients, technique or equipment are
> appreciated.
>
> Experience----
> I have experience only in wheat and corn based pancakes: pancakes,
> flannelcakes, Swedish pancakes, flapjacks, abelskiver, and some others, but
> I have never made a crepe - or maybe it has been so long that I don't
> remember anymore :- ).

Forget most of what you know about pancake making. Crepes are different. There
are dozens maybe thousands of recipes, but what they have in common is that
they are best when the batter is prepared ahead of time and allowed to sit for
a few hours.

> For most of those, I basically wipe the griddle with oiled paper towel,
> check for heat by dancing cold water on the griddle, mix the batter little,
> toss out the first one, and use the bubbles to tell when to turn. I vary
> temp and/or mix time just a little for the different consistencies of each.

The bubbles on top is one of the pancake things you have to forget. You don't
use baking powder in crepes and won't be getting the bubbles.

> Equipment----
> I almost always use the old aluminum built-in griddle for pancakes and
> the like, hot spots and all.
> Otherwise, I can use
> a large and a medium top-grade iron-core commercial non-stick "rounded
> sides" pan (as in from the restaurant supply house, heats slower than
> blazes, wears like iron, and is cheap enough I can use it)
> large, medium, and small iron frying pans (upright sides);

I usually use a small cast iron pan for my crepes. I have a crepe pan and a
crepe maker (add that to list of useless kitchen items) and when I make crepes
I usually use the crepe pan and the small frying pan.

> I saw "crepe pans". which appear to have sharp interior corners and a
> flat bottom about 7 inches across. Are they really useful?

Yes, if you have the money and storage space. But a good frying pan will do
the job just as well.

> I have steel flat turning spatulas, plastic flat turning spatulas
> (Target-type), two sizes of commercial hi-temp spatulas (the kind that are
> "ends-on-a-stick" ), and a wooden spatula.

It shouldn't matter. There is quite a bit of butter in crepes and you should
have the pan greasy enough that sticking is not an issue.

What I do when I make crepes is to prepare the batter ahead of time and let it
sit. I heat up the pans, brush them with melted butter and start cooking. I use
a standard measure for each crepe, pour the batter into the middle of the pan
and swirl it around to the edges, or as round as possible. Then I do start the
other one. By the time that is done it is time to flip the first crepe, wait a
moment and flip the second one, then remove the first. It doesn't take long to
cook them.

I set the hot crepes on a cloth to absorb some moisture while they cool off.
Once they have cooled a bit you can start stacking them. I stick a piece of
waxed paper between each on so they don't stick together. They can be stored in
the fridge for a few days or frozen.

jmcquown

Dave Smith wrote:
> -- wrote:
>
>> I volunteered to make 50 or so crepes. I figured it's basically a
>> thin French pancake laying under sweet wet sauce,

This is also an error unless they are expecting you to make "dessert
crepes". Not all crepes are sweet. I love savoury crepes rolled up with
diced chicken, sauteed mushrooms, herbs and a nice white wine sauce. They
are then baked.

> Forget most of what you know about pancake making. Crepes are
> different. There are dozens maybe thousands of recipes, but what
> they have in common is that they are best when the batter is prepared
> ahead of time and allowed to sit for a few hours.

I totally agree with this statement.

>> For most of those, I basically wipe the griddle with oiled paper
>> towel, check for heat by dancing cold water on the griddle, mix the
>> batter little, toss out the first one, and use the bubbles to tell
>> when to turn. I vary temp and/or mix time just a little for the
>> different consistencies of each.

> The bubbles on top is one of the pancake things you have to forget.
> You don't use baking powder in crepes and won't be getting the
> bubbles.
>
>> Equipment----
>> I almost always use the old aluminum built-in griddle for
>> pancakes and the like, hot spots and all.
>> Otherwise, I can use
>> a large and a medium top-grade iron-core commercial non-stick
>> "rounded sides" pan (as in from the restaurant supply house, heats
>> slower than blazes, wears like iron, and is cheap enough I can use
>> it) large, medium, and small iron frying pans (upright sides);

> I usually use a small cast iron pan for my crepes. I have a crepe pan
> and a crepe maker (add that to list of useless kitchen items) and
> when I make crepes I usually use the crepe pan and the small frying
> pan.

I use an old non-stick rounded side pan. It's not a "crepe pan" but it's
not cast iron, either. This is probably one of the few things for which I
use this particular non-stick skillet.

>> I have steel flat turning spatulas, plastic flat turning spatulas
>> (Target-type), two sizes of commercial hi-temp spatulas (the kind
>> that are "ends-on-a-stick" ), and a wooden spatula.

> It shouldn't matter. There is quite a bit of butter in crepes and
> you should have the pan greasy enough that sticking is not an issue.

Sticking shouldn't be an issue but if the crepes are somewhat delicate a
wider flat spatula works best.

> What I do when I make crepes is to prepare the batter ahead of time
> and let it sit. I heat up the pans, brush them with melted butter and
> start cooking. I use a standard measure for each crepe, pour the
> batter into the middle of the pan and swirl it around to the edges,
> or as round as possible. Then I do start the other one. By the time
> that is done it is time to flip the first crepe, wait a moment and
> flip the second one, then remove the first. It doesn't take long to
> cook them.
>
> I set the hot crepes on a cloth to absorb some moisture while they
> cool off. Once they have cooled a bit you can start stacking them. I
> stick a piece of waxed paper between each on so they don't stick
> together.

Absolutely!!

They can be stored in the fridge for a few days or frozen.

Jill

-- wrote:
> I volunteered to make 50 or so crepes. I figured it's basically a

thin
> French pancake laying under sweet wet sauce, and the consumers of the

crepe
> aren't looking for gourmet, and apparently I can make them a day

ahead, so
> what could go wrong?
>
> I may not have time for a lot of experimenting this next week, so
>
> Any suggestions/hints as to ingredients, technique or equipment are
> appreciated.

You have good advice from the others in this thread; however, I will
add that you certainly don't have to flip a crepe over and lightly
brown the second side. You don't. If you get the burner temperature
adjusted appropriately, you can watch and tell when the batter is dull
(rather than shiny) and "set" - there might be a few pseudo "bubbles"
that tell you so. Just slide the crepe out. I wouldn't serve a crepe
with only one browned side open-faced, but I certainly wouldn't
hesitate to serve it rolled up or folded with a filling inside.

A pan without sharply vertical sides is best - one of the slope-sided
non-stick (fairly heave - I have a T-Fal one and a Revere-Ware one) 7
or 8" is best.

Do NOT buy a specialized "crepe" pan - I've heard horror stories about
trying to use those and a non-stick skillet is multi-purpose and works
just as well, if not better.

N.

(I stack the finished ones in paper towel if I'm using them right away.
I only use waxed paper if I'm going to store them in the fridge or
freezer before filling. I make crepes a couple times a month.)