FoodBanter.com

-   -   egg sizes / different uses? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/6002-egg-sizes-different-uses.html)

JLove98905 11-04-2004 10:15 PM

egg sizes / different uses?

I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
some uses for smaller eggs?

-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

PENMART01 11-04-2004 10:32 PM

egg sizes / different uses?

>(JLove98905) writes:
>
>I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
>some uses for smaller eggs?

Exactly the same uses. Even though eggs are typically sold by the dozen they
are in reality sold by weight. In most cases the exact number of eggs is not a
factor, why would it matter if an omelet were made with 4 medium eggs rather
than 3 large eggs, it wouldn't. And often the smaller eggs sell for less per
pound, so they will be the better bargain. Professional bakers never count
eggs, they measure eggs by volume, they may measure out a quart or gallon of
eggs... you can do the same at home with a 1 cup measure. If a recipe calls
for 3 large eggs simply break them into a measuring cup and note the quantity.
Next time you use small eggs fill the cup to the same quantity. For one or two
cakes an exact quantity of egggs doesn't matter... commercial bakeries measure
eggs by volume, so regardless if they bake a hundred cakes, by using volume
measurements they will have an accurate measure of eggs no matter what size egg
they use. Btw, not all eggs in the same dozen are the same size, it is an
*average* size, remember, that dozen eggs is actually sold by weight.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Bob (this one) 11-04-2004 11:51 PM

egg sizes / different uses?

JLove98905 wrote:

> I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
> some uses for smaller eggs?

The very small ones are broken for pasteurized and frozen
distribution. The rest can be found at retail.

Uses include neighbors' cars, mailboxes, windows and picnic contests.
There are others. What do you use them for?

HTH

Pastorio

Sheryl Rosen 12-04-2004 02:23 AM

egg sizes / different uses?

in article , Bob (this one) at
wrote on 4/11/04 6:51 PM:

> JLove98905 wrote:
>
>> I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
>> some uses for smaller eggs?

> The very small ones are broken for pasteurized and frozen
> distribution. The rest can be found at retail.
>
> Uses include neighbors' cars, mailboxes, windows and picnic contests.
> There are others. What do you use them for?
>
> HTH
>
> Pastorio

one of the markets in my area was selling a carton with 3 dozen small eggs
for $1.49

People were snatching them up. One lady behind me had 2 boxes. That's 72
eggs! I looked at her, must have had a quizzical look on my face because she
told me that she always has her kids and their friends dye eggs at her
house, and small eggs were good enough for that.

Heck, I had just bought 18 large eggs for 1.79, which was a bargain to me
until I saw that. If I had room to store that 3 dozen carton, I'd have
grabbed it, too.

Hal Laurent 12-04-2004 02:31 AM

egg sizes / different uses?

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> JLove98905 wrote:
>
> > I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it.

What are
> > some uses for smaller eggs?

> The very small ones are broken for pasteurized and frozen
> distribution. The rest can be found at retail.

Around here (Baltimore) it's become darn near impossible to find
small eggs anymore at the retail level. Just like it's impossible to
find 3 pound or less chickens.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

PENMART01 12-04-2004 02:42 AM

egg sizes / different uses?

>Sheryl Rosen
>
>one of the markets in my area was selling a carton with 3 dozen small eggs
>for $1.49
>
>People were snatching them up. One lady behind me had 2 boxes. That's 72
>eggs! I looked at her, must have had a quizzical look on my face because she
>told me that she always has her kids and their friends dye eggs at her
>house, and small eggs were good enough for that.
>
>Heck, I had just bought 18 large eggs for 1.79, which was a bargain to me
>until I saw that. If I had room to store that 3 dozen carton, I'd have
>grabbed it, too.

http://www.aeb.org/facts/facts.html#23

SIZE
Several factors influence the size of an egg. The major factor is the age of
the hen. As the hen ages, her eggs increase in size.

The breed of hen from which the egg comes is a second factor. Weight of the
bird is another. Pullets significantly underweight at sexual maturity will
produce small eggs.

Environmental factors that lower egg weights are heat, stress, overcrowding and
poor nutrition.

All of these variables are of great importance to the egg producer. Even a
slight shift in egg weight influences size classification and size is one of
the factors considered when eggs are priced. Careful flock management benefits
both the hens and the producer.

Egg sizes are Jumbo, Extra Large, Large, Medium, Small and Peewee. Medium,
Large and Extra Large are the sizes most commonly available.

Sizes are classified according to minimum net weight expressed in ounces per
dozen.

SIZE EQUIVALENTS
Although any size egg may be used for frying, scrambling, cooking in the shell
or poaching, most recipes for baked dishes such as custards and cakes are based
on the use of Large eggs. To substitute another size, use the following chart.

Size Equivalents LARGE JUMBO X-LARGE MEDIUM SMALL
1 1 1 1 1
2 2 2 2 3
3 2 3 3 4
4 3 4 5 5
5 4 4 6 7
6 5 5 7 8

To Make 1 Cup EGG SIZE WHOLE WHITES YOLKS
Jumbo 4 5 11
X-Large 4 6 12
Large 5 7 14
Medium 5 8 16
Small 6 9 18

Egg sizes are Jumbo, Extra Large, Large, Medium, Small and Peewee. Medium,
Large and Extra Large are the sizes most commonly available.

Sizes are classified according to minimum net weight expressed in ounces per
dozen.

Jumbo 30 oz.., Extra Large 27 oz., Large 24 oz., Medium 21 oz., Small 18 oz.
and Peewee 15 oz.
---

Melba's Jammin' 12-04-2004 03:04 AM

egg sizes / different uses?

In article >,
OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote:

> I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What
> are
> some uses for smaller eggs?
>
> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Same as for large but you need to adjust the measurement. FWIW,
cookbook recipe sassume USDA Large size - sometimes they even say so.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.

Daisy 12-04-2004 08:47 AM

egg sizes / different uses?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:31:07 -0400, "Hal Laurent" >
wrote:

>"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>> JLove98905 wrote:
>>
>> > I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it.

>What are
>> > some uses for smaller eggs?

>> The very small ones are broken for pasteurized and frozen
>> distribution. The rest can be found at retail.

>Around here (Baltimore) it's become darn near impossible to find
>small eggs anymore at the retail level. Just like it's impossible to
>find 3 pound or less chickens.
>
>Hal Laurent
>Baltimore

I find that when a recipe calls for a small egg (and some recipes I
have do actually do this), I simply discard about half of the white of
a large egg, thus reducing the egg to a smaller size. I don't think
the yolks make a lot of difference, but mine is only my own experience
after all.

Daisy

Darrell Grainger 12-04-2004 06:27 PM

egg sizes / different uses?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, JLove98905 wrote:

> I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
> some uses for smaller eggs?

When I'm baking I might find that 3 large eggs is too much (I measure
ingredients by weight). Using 2 large and 1 small eggs might be closer to
the weight I'm looking for.

All my european recipes are by weight. They don't differentiate between
small, medium, large or jumbo eggs. therefore, I have assumed the whites
to yolk ratio is about the same regardless of the egg size.

> -Jen
> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Don't send e-mail to

[email protected] 12-04-2004 07:14 PM

egg sizes / different uses?

JLove98905 > wrote:
> I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
> some uses for smaller eggs?

The same uses as larger eggs, assuming you are referring to chickens' eggs.
Of course, with smaller eggs, you may need more than the recipe calls for.

Bob (this one) 12-04-2004 10:18 PM

egg sizes / different uses?

wrote on 4/11/04 6:51 PM:

>>JLove98905 wrote:
>>

>>>I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
>>>some uses for smaller eggs?

>>The very small ones are broken for pasteurized and frozen
>>distribution. The rest can be found at retail.
>>
>>Uses include neighbors' cars, mailboxes, windows and picnic contests.
>>There are others. What do you use them for?
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Pastorio

> one of the markets in my area was selling a carton with 3 dozen small eggs
> for $1.49
>
> People were snatching them up. One lady behind me had 2 boxes. That's 72
> eggs! I looked at her, must have had a quizzical look on my face because she
> told me that she always has her kids and their friends dye eggs at her
> house, and small eggs were good enough for that.
>
> Heck, I had just bought 18 large eggs for 1.79, which was a bargain to me
> until I saw that. If I had room to store that 3 dozen carton, I'd have
> grabbed it, too.

Size or weight Minimum net weight
class per dozen
Jumbo 30 ounces
Extra Large 27 ounces
Large 24 ounces
Medium 21 ounces
Small 18 ounces
Peewee 15 ounces

So, lessee...
3 dozen small = 54 ounces @ 1.49 = 0.03 per oz.
1.5 dozen large = 36 ounces @ 1.79 = 0.05 per ounce

Not a tough one, huh...?

Pastorio

Karen O'Mara 12-04-2004 11:30 PM

egg sizes / different uses?

OSPAM (JLove98905) wrote in message >...
> I always buy "large" or "jumbo" eggs. I never really think about it. What are
> some uses for smaller eggs?

My coworker provides me with eggs. She has two chickens, "Chicken
Little" and "Amber."

Chicken Little's eggs are tiny! (They're so cute!) And, Amber's eggs
are big and brown.

I like the small eggs when making fried eggs. Two are just the right
amount for one person. (Don't you ever wish you had just a little more
than one fried egg, but not two?)

Anyway, I love the small eggs. I'm not much of a baker, so I don't
worry about measurements that often. If I need a large egg, and only
have tiny ones, I just use two.

Karen