biig

Default Green chilis

When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

sounds to me like the canned green chiles, which are usually anaheim
chiles,

Arri London

biig wrote:

> When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
> have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

It depends on the recipe. If it's Thai food different chiles than if
it's New Mexican food.
biig

Arri London wrote:

> biig wrote:
> >
> > When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
> > have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

> It depends on the recipe. If it's Thai food different chiles than if
> it's New Mexican food.

It's a recipe for chicken enchiladas.....Sharon
Peter Aitken

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
> have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

There are several kinds of green chilis that are commonly used. You see just
plain "green chilis" in the market sometimes. Then there are jalapenos and
serrano. All are hot but just how hot depends on the individual chili, how
it was gronw, etc. If you are just getting started cooking with chilis any
of the three will do. As you gain experience you will develop a preference
for certain kinds in certain dishes.

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
> have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

it really depends on the recipe however 90% of the time they mean Canned
green Chilies. If your market has a Mexican food section look there my
usual brand is Ortega.

http://www.ortega.com/products/chiles.asp

Dimitri

biig

Dimitri wrote:

> "biig" > wrote in message ...
> >
> > When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
> > have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

> it really depends on the recipe however 90% of the time they mean Canned
> green Chilies. If your market has a Mexican food section look there my
> usual brand is Ortega.
>
> http://www.ortega.com/products/chiles.asp
>
> Dimitri

Is there anything from the produce section that would do instead of
buying a jar of chilis?
Scotty

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "biig" > wrote in message ...
>> >
>> > When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
>> > have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

>> it really depends on the recipe however 90% of the time they mean Canned
>> green Chilies. If your market has a Mexican food section look there my
>> usual brand is Ortega.
>>
>> http://www.ortega.com/products/chiles.asp
>>
>> Dimitri

> Is there anything from the produce section that would do instead of
> buying a jar of chilis?

Jalapeno, anaheim, or serrano are all widely available. Anaheim are usually
the mildest. This website has a lot of info on chilies:
http://www.g6csy.net/chile/index.html.

Scott.

aem

biig wrote:

> Is there anything from the produce section that would do instead of
> buying a jar of chilis?

Anaheim chiles. I think sometimes also called Ortega chiles, but I
wouldn't count on that. Medium green color, 6" to 8" long, flattish.
Very little heat, okay flavor, just like the canned ones. -aem

notbob

On 2005-04-22, aem > wrote:

> Anaheim chiles. I think sometimes also called Ortega chiles....

Ortega is a brand name like Heinz or Kraft.

nb

notbob

On 2005-04-21, biig > wrote:

> Is there anything from the produce section that would do instead of
> buying a jar of chilis?

Most stores will carry a good selection of chiles in produce. Look
for green peppers under the names, bird/thai, serrano, jalapeno,
fresno, pablano, and anaheim (hottest -> least hot). Fresnos look a
lot like jalapenos, but have a pointy end rather than the jalapeno's
round end. Fresnos are often harvested when red, but are not dried.
Anaheims are often used for stuffing, but can be used just as an
ingredient if you're looking for a really mild chile.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Chilefre.html

nb
unity1

I heard that their good for nasel decongestion. Is this true?

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:07:24 -0500, notbob > wrote:

>On 2005-04-21, biig > wrote:
>
>> Is there anything from the produce section that would do instead of
>> buying a jar of chilis?

>Most stores will carry a good selection of chiles in produce. Look
>for green peppers under the names, bird/thai, serrano, jalapeno,
>fresno, pablano, and anaheim (hottest -> least hot). Fresnos look a
>lot like jalapenos, but have a pointy end rather than the jalapeno's
>round end. Fresnos are often harvested when red, but are not dried.
>Anaheims are often used for stuffing, but can be used just as an
>ingredient if you're looking for a really mild chile.
>
>http://www.foodsubs.com/Chilefre.html
>

>nb

All sound advice. Here is another possibility, with fresh peppers from
the produce or farm stand.

I have found Serranos to be fairly consistently hot, so I often use
them in preference to jalapenos, which in recent years have been
unpredictable here.

When in doubt, I will split the pepper lengthwise and scrape the seeds
out. Then put it in without chopping it. Taste after whatever you are
making has been cooking for a while, and if the heat is coming in, but
still shy of what you want, take the peppers out. It will continue to
get hotter for a while.

If you insist on some exact preconceived heat, you can raise it with a
little hot sauce if you are close. Of course if you have left it in
too long it will be hard to undo without changing the size of the
whole recipe.

Or, you can just let it be an adventure and see how it comes out.
Don't get hung up over fine points in that case. Have fun.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Curse thee, thou quadrant. No longer will I guide my earthly way by thee." Capt. Ahab
Shaun aRe

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > biig wrote:
> > >
> > > When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
> > > have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

> > It depends on the recipe. If it's Thai food different chiles than if
> > it's New Mexican food.

> It's a recipe for chicken enchiladas.....Sharon

Jalapeno perhaps?

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "biig" > wrote in message ...
> >
> > When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
> > have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

> There are several kinds of green chilis that are commonly used. You see

just
> plain "green chilis" in the market sometimes. Then there are jalapenos and
> serrano. All are hot but just how hot depends on the individual chili, how
> it was gronw, etc. If you are just getting started cooking with chilis any
> of the three will do. As you gain experience you will develop a preference
> for certain kinds in certain dishes.

Like me - my preference, for all dishes, is a kind I call 'lots' ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe

"unity1" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I heard that their good for nasel decongestion. Is this true?

Chew on a whole fresh habanero when you have a blocked nose - it will clear
it alright, as well as your tear ducts, pores, and later, digestive trract
',;~}~

Shaun aRe

biig

I'm looking for flavour rather than heat....Sharon

Shaun aRe wrote:

> "unity1" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > I heard that their good for nasel decongestion. Is this true?

> Chew on a whole fresh habanero when you have a blocked nose - it will clear
> it alright, as well as your tear ducts, pores, and later, digestive trract
> ',;~}~
>
> Shaun aRe

Rich McCormack

biig wrote:
> I'm looking for flavour rather than heat....Sharon

Use Anaheims (light to medium green, 6" to 8" long, pointed end,
1' to 1 1/2" wide, most often flat but can be round; or poblanos
(dark green, heart shaped, 4" to 5" long, 2" to 3" wide, often
mistakenly labeled pasilla). IMO, poblanos are the mildest
and most flavorful of the two.
Shaun aRe

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> > "unity1" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >
> > > I heard that their good for nasel decongestion. Is this true?

> > Chew on a whole fresh habanero when you have a blocked nose - it will

clear
> > it alright, as well as your tear ducts, pores, and later, digestive

trract
> > ',;~}~
> >
> > Shaun aRe

> I'm looking for flavour rather than heat....Sharon
>
> Shaun aRe wrote:

My reply was to the message directly above mine in the thread, the message I
quoted in my reply Sharon - I'm fully aware of what you were after, hence my
direct reply to your message earlier! Coffee not kicked in yet?

',;~}~

Cheers!

Shaun aRe
--
May all your wishes be both wise and fulfilled.

I'll second the poblanos. They are good, and very mild. I use them for
guests when I'm not sure if they can take the heat. Also note that if
you remove the ribs and seeds from any pepper, you will greatly reduce
the heat. Wear gloves when handling if you don't like the heat.

Also note that a jar of pickled jalepenos will be significantly milder
than fresh ones.

Dean G.

K. Reece

"biig" > wrote in message ...
> I'm looking for flavour rather than heat....Sharon

What you want are the canned green chilis. The big advantage to the canned
chilis is they're already roasted and peeled. If you live close to the
southwest you can get that kind of chili fresh roasted at roadside stands
and flea markets.

Kathy

Default User

> Also note that a jar of pickled jalepenos will be significantly

milder
> than fresh ones.

Maybe jalapenos you grow yourself, but the ones I get in the grocery
store these days are pathetic, almost without a trace of heat. To spicy
jalapenos, I get the canned ones from the Mexican grocery. Those have
some zing.

Brian

Arri London

biig wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > biig wrote:
> > >
> > > When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
> > > have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

> > It depends on the recipe. If it's Thai food different chiles than if
> > it's New Mexican food.

> It's a recipe for chicken enchiladas.....Sharon

Then you want the long green New Mexican chiles. If you can't get those,
there are some anaheims chiles that come in cans but they don't have any
heat.
Dimitri

"biig" > wrote in message ...

> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> "biig" > wrote in message ...
>> >
>> > When a recipe calls for "green chilis", what type would that be? I
>> > have never used anything like that....thanks.....Sharon

>> it really depends on the recipe however 90% of the time they mean Canned
>> green Chilies. If your market has a Mexican food section look there my
>> usual brand is Ortega.
>>
>> http://www.ortega.com/products/chiles.asp
>>
>> Dimitri

> Is there anything from the produce section that would do instead of
> buying a jar of chilis?

Sure many, but the mildest would be the green or Anaheim which should be roasted
to remove the skin. Then you can go up the scale depending on the use and hot
you want.

Dimitri

Pablo

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

>snipped
>> Is there anything from the produce section that would do instead of
>> buying a jar of chilis?

> Sure many, but the mildest would be the green or Anaheim which should be
> roasted to remove the skin. Then you can go up the scale depending on the
> use and hot you want.
>
> Dimitri

Right on Dimitri. For my family, chile verde (green chile) always means
chile anaheim. Chiles chilacas are common in Chihuahua and are more
wrinkled than the anaheims, and are probably a little hotter. If the recipe
uses something more enchilosa, they're usually called out by name:
jalapeño, serano, habañero, etc.

Pablo