Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

Default Need Recipe for Coconut Cake - with Coconut *in* the Cake (not the Frosting or Filling)

Hey guys!

Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well
from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it has to be
in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if anybody has any
recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and pipes well that'd be
great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut milk in it because any
other coconut product would produce a non-smooth frosting].

Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)

Thanks!

Anne
Christine Dabney

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:05:50 -0700, "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq."
> wrote:

>Hey guys!
>
>Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
>it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well
>from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it has to be
>in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if anybody has any
>recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and pipes well that'd be
>great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut milk in it because any
>other coconut product would produce a non-smooth frosting].
>
>Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)
>
>Thanks!
>
>Anne

I have a recipe for one that has coconut IN the cake, but I don't have
time right at the moment to look and see if I brought the recipe with
me when I started traveling. I am on my way to work now, but I can
check in the morning.
It is a really, really moist cake, but it is baked in a tube pan. I
suppose it could be baked in regular pans, though.
It has been a few years since I made it.

Christine
Emily Quesenberry

What kind of character? That may have some bearing on what type of coconut
cake....as to how moist it can be etc...

My grandma always makes a coconut cake and puts her version of the divinity
frosting on it. Like the divinity candy but it's in a more liquified state -
wow!

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I do not wish to expiate, but to live.

"It is not attention the child is seeking, but love" - Sigmund Freud
"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> Hey guys!
>
> Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
> it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well
> from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it has to be
> in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if anybody has any
> recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and pipes well that'd be
> great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut milk in it because any
> other coconut product would produce a non-smooth frosting].
>
> Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anne

hahabogus

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in
:

> Hey guys!
>
> Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
> it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well
> from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it has to be
> in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if anybody has any
> recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and pipes well that'd be
> great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut milk in it because any
> other coconut product would produce a non-smooth frosting].
>
> Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anne

Wasn't there one posted here just last week?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
hahabogus

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in
:

> Hey guys!
>
> Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
> it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well
> from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it has to be
> in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if anybody has any
> recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and pipes well that'd be
> great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut milk in it because any
> other coconut product would produce a non-smooth frosting].
>
> Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anne

Got these from RFR, perhaps they'll give you a start.

BUTTERMILK COCONUT CAKE

4 eggs, beaten
2 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup Crisco oil
1 1/2 cup coconut
1 1/2 tsp. coconut flavoring

Mix well together and pour into a greased Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees
for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. --TOPPING:--
Boil together 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water for 5 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon
of coconut flavoring. Pour over hot cake and leave for 10 minutes before
removing from pan. Serve with whipped cream if desired.

COCONUT POUND CAKE

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
3 cup sugar
3 cup plain flour
1 cup milk
1 (14 oz.) pkg. Angel Flake coconut
2/3 cup shortening (Crisco)
6 eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. coconut flavoring

Cream butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy; add eggs. Beat well.
Add
flour, baking powder and milk alternately to egg mixture. Beat well; add
flavoring and beat. Fold in 1/2 of package of coconut. Place in tube
pan.
Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes. (Be sure to use real
butter.) Cool in pan.

--FROSTING:--

1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
1 box powdered sugar, sifted
4 tbsp. milk

Melt margarine; add milk and powdered sugar. Add 1/2 package of Angel
Flake coconut. Stir to spreading consistency. If too stiff, add more
milk,
1 teaspoon at a time. Spread on cake.

COCONUT CAKE

1 cup rolled oats (Mother's Oats)
1 1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

Pour boiling water over oats, stir, and let stand. Mix together:
butter,
sugar, light brown sugar, and eggs. Whip up oats, and add to second
mixture. Sift together: flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Add to above
mixture. To beaten mixture add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour in cake pan(s).
Either use 13 x 9 inch pan or 2 (9 inch) pans. Bake in 325 degree oven
for
at least 45 minutes or until tested done.

--TOPPING FOR CAKE:--

1/3 cup milk
1/4 lb. butter (or margarine)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup nuts, chopped
1 cup coconut

Spread this mixture on cake after removing from oven. Place under
broiler. Remove when topping is browned, be careful not to burn. Takes
about 5 to 8 minutes in 400 degree broiler.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.

hahabogus

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in
:

> Hey guys!
>
> Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
> it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well
> from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it has to be
> in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if anybody has any
> recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and pipes well that'd be
> great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut milk in it because any
> other coconut product would produce a non-smooth frosting].
>
> Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anne

Or perhaps this one?

----CAKE----
3 cup sifted flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter (no substitute!)
1 lb confectioner's sugar
4 egg yolks; well beaten
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup coconut
4 egg whites; well beaten

----COCONUT FROSTING----
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
3 tablespoon water
3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cup coconut

CAKE:
Sift flour once, then measure. Add baking powder and salt, sift 3 times.
Cream butter thoroughly and add sugar gradually. Continue creaming until
light and fluffy.
Add egg yolks. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after each
addition.
Stir in vanilla and coconut, fold in eggwhites carefully.
Bake in greased 8-inch pans at 350 for 30 minutes.

COCONUT FROSTING:
Combine sugar, syrup, water, egg whites, cream of tartarand salt in top of
double boiler.
Cook over rapidly boiling water, beating with electric mixer until mixture
stands in peaks.
Remove from heat; add vanilla, continue beating until frosting holds deep
swirls.
Frost cake, sprinkle immediately with coconut, pressing into sides for
pretty cake.

MRS RAYMOND CARL GILBRECH (BETTY HOLLY GROVE, AR From the book <High Cotton
Cookin'>, Marvell Academy Mothers Assn, Marvell,AR 72366, ISBN 0-918544-14-
9, downloaded from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
hahabogus

hahabogus > wrote in
:

> "Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in
> :
>
>> Hey guys!
>>
>> Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake -
>> but it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release
>> well from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it
>> has to be in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if
>> anybody has any recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and
>> pipes well that'd be great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut
>> milk in it because any other coconut product would produce a
>> non-smooth frosting].
>>
>> Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Anne
>>

> Or perhaps this one?

OOOPS the sugars got flipped....it should be 1 cup sugar in the cake
and 1 lb confectioner's sugar in the frosting.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
--------
FIELDS, W. C.
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

In article >,
"Emily Quesenberry" > wrote:

> What kind of character? That may have some bearing on what type of coconut
> cake....as to how moist it can be etc...

Minnie Mouse, from a Wilton pan.

And, divinity frosting?? Do you have a recipe, pretty please? :-)

Anne
Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.

> I have a recipe for one that has coconut IN the cake, but I don't have
> time right at the moment to look and see if I brought the recipe with
> me when I started traveling. I am on my way to work now, but I can
> check in the morning.
> It is a really, really moist cake, but it is baked in a tube pan. I
> suppose it could be baked in regular pans, though.
> It has been a few years since I made it.

That would be lovely, thank you!
Nexis

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message
> Hey guys!
>
> Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
> it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well
> from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it has to be
> in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if anybody has any
> recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and pipes well that'd be
> great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut milk in it because any
> other coconut product would produce a non-smooth frosting].
>
> Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anne

Anne~

This recipe calls for a frosting that is cream cheese based, rather than
buttercream...but it is very yummy!

Coconut Cake:

2/3 cup softened butter
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 cups cake flour*
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup fresh grated coconut or 1/2 cup shredded commercially prepared
coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease 3 8" round cake pans.
In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream margarine and sugar
until light and fluffy. Add yolks and blend well. Sift together, salt,
flour, and baking powder. Add alternately with milk to above mixture. Blend
well after each addition. Add vanilla, blend well. Set aside. Wash beaters
in hot soapy water. Making sure bowl and beaters are absolutely grease-free,
whip the egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites and coconut into batter.
Pour into cake pans. Bake about 30 minutes, toothpick inserted should come
out clean. Cool completely. Frost with Coconut Frosting (recipe to follow).

* If you don't have store-bought cake flour, here's the substitute.

Cake Flour
Put 2 level tablespoons cornstarch into a measuring cup.
Fill to 1 cup mark with all purpose flour.
Sift 3 times. Makes 1 cup cake flour.

Coconut Frosting:

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
¼ tsp salt
1 lb. confectioners sugar
3 T coconut milk
1 T vanilla extract

Combine all ingredient and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy.

kimberly

sf

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:23:44 -0400, "Emily Quesenberry"
> wrote:

> What kind of character? That may have some bearing on what type of coconut
> cake....as to how moist it can be etc...
>

> My grandma always makes a coconut cake and puts her version of the divinity
> frosting on it. Like the divinity candy but it's in a more liquified state -
> wow!

Drool...

When are you going to back up your recollections with
recipes?

Kajikit

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. had something important to tell us on Thu, 08
Apr 2004 18:05:50 -0700:

>Hey guys!
>
>Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
>it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well

When we wanted a coconut cake we just made an ordinary cake and put
coconut and a bit of coconut essence in it... add a little extra
liquid to make up for the coconut (it'll absorb some).

--
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 2 April 2004 - 61 cards, 28 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 52 decos & more!

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Mary

My mother made fabulous coconut cake every Christmas! What she did
was get a fresh coconut, drain (and strain) the milk into a bowl, and
then grate the coconut meat into another. She used a standard white
cake mix and used the coconut milk for the liquid. For frosting, she
made the classic "seven minute frosting", frosted the cake, and then
gently pressed the grated coconut all over the frosting. Beautiful
and delicious!

"Anne P. Mitchell, Esq." > wrote in message >...
> Hey guys!
>
> Our son's birthday is coming up and he really wants a coconut cake - but
> it has to be coconut _in_ the cake itself (and it has to release well
> from a pan - as we are doing a character cake - this is why it has to be
> in the cake, and not the frosting/filling [although, if anybody has any
> recipes for a coconut frosting which is smooth and pipes well that'd be
> great too! - I'm assuming it would have coconut milk in it because any
> other coconut product would produce a non-smooth frosting].
>
> Hmm...coconut butter cream frosting...? :-)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Anne

Curly Sue

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:12:07 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>I have a recipe for one that has coconut IN the cake, but I don't have
>time right at the moment to look and see if I brought the recipe with
>me when I started traveling. I am on my way to work now, but I can
>check in the morning.
>It is a really, really moist cake, but it is baked in a tube pan. I
>suppose it could be baked in regular pans, though.
>It has been a few years since I made it.
>
>Christine

I'd like it too. :>

Sue(tm)
Christine Dabney

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:45:20 GMT, (Curly
Sue) wrote:

>I'd like it too. :>
>
>Sue(tm)
>Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Okay folks, here it is. I haven't made this in years, so some
details are fuzzy, as in the amount of coconut I used to add to it.
The original recipe only says "grated coconut".

Christine

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coconut Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
4 ounces cream cheese
4 eggs -- separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 3/4 cups flour -- sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch salt
grated coconut

Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside. Cream butter and
sugar together, then add cream cheese. Add egg yolks only to butter,
sugar and cream cheese mixture. Add vanilla. Alternate some milk and
1/4 cup flour to mixture, until both are totally used. Beat egg
whites til stiff, then fold in egg whites. Add grated coconut.

Put into greased and floured tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1
hour.

Source:
"a co-worker"

NOTES : When I was given this recipe about 23 years ago, there was no
amount listed for the coconut. I forget exactly how much I used, but
I think it was at least a cup. Maybe more. I think I went by "feel"on
the amount to add.
This is essentially the old "1-2-3-4" cake. If you bake it in layer
cake pans, bake for 25 minutes or so.
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Old-Fashioned Coconut Cake chefrwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 02-12-2006 07:48 PM
Coconut cake xim xim General Cooking 3 16-02-2006 05:32 PM
Coconut Cake Valerie Recipes (moderated) 0 07-02-2006 05:40 AM
Coconut Cake Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 20 31-03-2005 02:01 AM
Recipe For Coconut Layer Cake FMathies General Cooking 1 04-04-2004 03:31 PM