FoodBanter.com

-   -   Buying food in DC for a meeting/conference thing (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/5937-buying-food-dc-meeting.html)

Siobhan Perricone 08-04-2004 12:50 AM

Buying food in DC for a meeting/conference thing

I'm going to DC April 22nd, and attending a retreat of sorts. We'll be
buying a buncha food for the retreat on our way out to the house we've
rented. There will be eight of us for sure, possibly ten max.

I have a Costco membership, and we're intending to stop there to buy stuff.
Costs matter, less expensive is better. I was wondering if any of you had
suggestions for other places to shop that would give us the same sorts of
things we can get at Costco.

I was also wondering how much baby back ribs and frozen chicken wings are
there. Here I pay $14 for ten pounds of wings and $3.99 a pound for the
babyback ribs. I want to make ribs and wings one night, but not if I'm
going to be paying a lot more for the food.

We'll be arriving at various airports in the DC area, then driving out to
McHenry, Maryland, and staying at a house on Deep Creek Lake.

So if you have any ideas about good places to shop that aren't too hard to
get to on the way, and that will have better prices and stuff, please let
me know! Thanks!
--
Siobhan Perricone
Inside of me is a thin person struggling to get out.

PENMART01 08-04-2004 02:30 AM

Buying food in DC for a meeting/conference thing

>Siobhan Perricone writes:
>
>I'm going to DC April 22nd, and attending a retreat of sorts. We'll be
>buying a buncha food for the retreat on our way out to the house we've
>rented. There will be eight of us for sure, possibly ten max.
>
>I have a Costco membership, and we're intending to stop there to buy stuff.
>Costs matter, less expensive is better. I was wondering if any of you had
>suggestions for other places to shop that would give us the same sorts of
>things we can get at Costco.
>
>I was also wondering how much baby back ribs and frozen chicken wings are
>there. Here I pay $14 for ten pounds of wings and $3.99 a pound for the
>babyback ribs. I want to make ribs and wings one night, but not if I'm
>going to be paying a lot more for the food.

If you're conserned about cost perhaps you should reconsider your menu, those
items (ribs n' wings) are very expensive considering how most is waste. A
pound of ribs green weight cooks up to barely an appetizer for an adult, wings
fare worse... and most normal folks wouldn't want to make an entire meal of
foods with so high a fat ratio. It would be more economical and prudent
serving porterhouse steak.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Chris and Bob Neidecker 08-04-2004 07:07 PM

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> I'm going to DC April 22nd, and attending a retreat of sorts. We'll be
> buying a buncha food for the retreat on our way out to the house we've
> rented. There will be eight of us for sure, possibly ten max.
>
> I have a Costco membership, and we're intending to stop there to buy

stuff.
> Costs matter, less expensive is better. I was wondering if any of you had
> suggestions for other places to shop that would give us the same sorts of
> things we can get at Costco.

There's BJ's Warehouse, where I shop. It's a club, so if you don't have a
membership it's a bit more. Also they don't have as good a selection as
Costco (but Bj's is less crowded, so that's why we shop there instead of
Costco). Costco's locations in this area are mmmore convenient to the
airports, I think.

Other places would be Sam's Club (I know it exists, but couldn't tell you
much else...I've been told their ground beef is yucky), Shoppers' Food
Warehouse (not a club, but a big supermarket w/ good prices, not sure if
they have all of the bulk stuff you'll want). We have Trader Joe's here in
Va., but not really close to any airports, and there's a big new Wegman's
near Dulles Airport that is supposed to have good prices, but I'm not sure
they'd have the kind of stuff you need.

> I was also wondering how much baby back ribs and frozen chicken wings are
> there. Here I pay $14 for ten pounds of wings and $3.99 a pound for the
> babyback ribs. I want to make ribs and wings one night, but not if I'm
> going to be paying a lot more for the food.

The Costco in Sterling, VA (near Dulles) has ten-pound bags of frozen
Tyson's chichen wings for $12.79 (the guy on the phone thought they were
unflavored, but I bet they have flavored ones, too). I asked about ribs,
and he couldn't find plain, uncooked baby back ribs in their database. They
have cooked, sauced baby backs at $12.49 for 2 pounds. When I've bought
ribs at BJs in the past, we've found that they don't always have baby backs
in stock but you cn usually get some kind of ribs...spare ribs or countery
style pork ribs...can't remember how much.

steaks...we've bought Angus NY strips from BJ's that were really, really
good, for about $7/pound. And we've bought several whole beef tenderloins
from Costco and BJ's in the past that are always really good, too. I'm not
sure they'd be cheaper than wings and ribs, even considering the waste of
bones, etc., but it's something to consider. We recently had a
spiral-sliced ham from BJs (Smithfield, I think) that was much cheaper than
a HoneyBaked. Not quite as good (according to my family -- I don't like ham
much myself), but just fine for the price.

> We'll be arriving at various airports in the DC area, then driving out to
> McHenry, Maryland, and staying at a house on Deep Creek Lake.

Sounds cool! There's a Costco in Frederick, MD, if you'll be passing thru
there on your way to Deep Creek. Check Costco's web site...they have
locations near BWI, Dulles and National/Reagan airports, but if you're
driving that far, stopping in Frederick might be a better bet for your
frozen/perishable stuff.

If you'd like me to call any of the places above that I mentioned, I'd be
happy to -- just let me know. But I think Costco would be your best bet --
cheapest and easiest.

> So if you have any ideas about good places to shop that aren't too hard to
> get to on the way, and that will have better prices and stuff, please let
> me know! Thanks!
> --

> Inside of me is a thin person struggling to get out.
> Fortunately, she's easily sedated with a piece of cheesecake.

I hear ya, sister!