Sarah

Default Roast Cauliflower?

I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
Sarah

Steve Knight

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:00:59 GMT, "Sarah" >
wrote:

>I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
>was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
>roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
>in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
>Sarah

cut it up in florettes or slice it so it cooks faster. about 350 degrees or it
turns dark. I toss it in olive oil and salt and pepper and fresh rosemary is
good or other seasonings. onions are good cooked with it.
I have never needed liquid.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
AlleyGator

"Sarah" > wrote:

>I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
>was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
>roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
>in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
>Sarah

I'll tell you how I like it the best, but it's not exactly healthy.
Boil it till it's still a little crunchy, dry it off in a towel real
well, and toss it with some flour, salt and pepper. Fry it in butter
until it browns a little bit. Listen to your arteries snap shut with
each bite.
Sarah

Sold, will try the seasoned flour and butter tonite, Steve's method next
week! Will let you know the results.
Sarah
"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "Sarah" > wrote:
>
>>I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
>>was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes
>>or
>>roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
>>in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
>>Sarah
>>

> I'll tell you how I like it the best, but it's not exactly healthy.
> Boil it till it's still a little crunchy, dry it off in a towel real
> well, and toss it with some flour, salt and pepper. Fry it in butter
> until it browns a little bit. Listen to your arteries snap shut with
> each bite.

AlleyGator

"Sarah" > wrote:

>Sold, will try the seasoned flour and butter tonite, Steve's method next
>week! Will let you know the results.
>Sarah

Bite size chunks, BTW - forgot that part.

Naomi

x-no-archive: yes

I think slicing it (1/4") works considerably better than florets. You
can toss with olive oil or use an oil spray and get away with very
little oil indeed, if that matters to you. Finishing with Maldon salt
and ground pepper is nice.

Becca

AlleyGator wrote:

> I'll tell you how I like it the best, but it's not exactly healthy.
> Boil it till it's still a little crunchy, dry it off in a towel real
> well, and toss it with some flour, salt and pepper. Fry it in butter
> until it browns a little bit. Listen to your arteries snap shut with
> each bite.

Sounds yummy.

Becca
Dave Smith

Sarah wrote:

> I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
> was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
> roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
> in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
> Sarah

You can marinate it in yoghurt and curry powder and then roast it, or grill it.

walamalacalucy

"Sarah" > wrote in message .uk>...
> I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
> was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
> roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
> in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
> Sarah

break it into florets and drizzle a little cooking oil over it -then
roast. very nice.
Christine Dabney

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:45:17 -0700, Steve Knight
> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:00:59 GMT, "Sarah" >
>wrote:
>
>>I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
>>was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
>>roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
>>in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
>>Sarah
>>

>cut it up in florettes or slice it so it cooks faster. about 350 degrees or it
>turns dark. I toss it in olive oil and salt and pepper and fresh rosemary is
>good or other seasonings. onions are good cooked with it.
> I have never needed liquid.

I roast it at 400 degrees. The brown crispy bits are just wonderful.

There has been a long running thread on roast cauliflower on eGullet.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=31042

Christine

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Sarah wrote on 18 Apr 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast
> cauliflower was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I
> break it into florettes or roast it whole? What about fat/liquid?
> Brush with butter or put some stock in the bottom of the roasting
> tin? Help please! Sarah

I cut it into florets and toss it with canola oil and a pakaged taco
seasoning pouch.(the oil makes the spices stick better).

I spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it at 400F (preheated oven)
for about 30-45 minutes or untill I like the colour it turned.

Some people prefer slices (not me).

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:45:17 -0700, Steve Knight
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:00:59 GMT, "Sarah" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast cauliflower
>>>was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I break it into florettes or
>>>roast it whole? What about fat/liquid? Brush with butter or put some stock
>>>in the bottom of the roasting tin? Help please!
>>>Sarah
>>>

>>cut it up in florettes or slice it so it cooks faster. about 350 degrees or it
>>turns dark. I toss it in olive oil and salt and pepper and fresh rosemary is
>>good or other seasonings. onions are good cooked with it.
>> I have never needed liquid.

>I roast it at 400 degrees. The brown crispy bits are just wonderful.

I toss the florets (sliced if needed for that extra brown crispy surface
.... yum) in a little olive oil, juice one lemon over them and toss again,
then salt and pepper. 400 F oven for ... 15-25 minutes.

I've been eating it regularly since I learned about it and I don't even
much like cauliflower.

Charlotte
Sarah

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> Sarah wrote on 18 Apr 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I saw a conversation the other day about how delicious roast
>> cauliflower was, well I've baught a cauli, but now what? Do I
>> break it into florettes or roast it whole? What about fat/liquid?
>> Brush with butter or put some stock in the bottom of the roasting
>> tin? Help please! Sarah
>>

> I cut it into florets and toss it with canola oil and a pakaged taco
> seasoning pouch.(the oil makes the spices stick better).
>
> I spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it at 400F (preheated oven)
> for about 30-45 minutes or untill I like the colour it turned.
>
> Some people prefer slices (not me).
>
> --
> No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
> Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
> 1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
> Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
> Continuing to be Manitoban

Well the roast Cauliflower went well, the crispy bits were great, going to
try Katra's mashed one next it sounds delicious!
Sarah

Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article >,
Dog3 > wrote:
(Charlotte L. Blackmer) typed this gem in
:

>> In article >,
>> Christine Dabney > wrote:

>>>I roast it at 400 degrees. The brown crispy bits are just wonderful.

>> I toss the florets (sliced if needed for that extra brown crispy
>> surface ... yum) in a little olive oil, juice one lemon over them and
>> toss again, then salt and pepper. 400 F oven for ... 15-25 minutes.
>>
>> I've been eating it regularly since I learned about it and I don't
>> even much like cauliflower.

>Cauliflower was on sale yesterday at Dierbergs. I bought 2 nice sized heads
>and roasted one of them. I roasted them as you did above and they were
>delicious. The SO even had 2 helping and he is NOT someone that likes
>cauliflower unless it is buried in a cheese sauce. I am pleased, I have
>found a way to serve it more often. Thanks all for the ideas and tips.
>
>Michael < thinks the crunchy bits on the cauliflower were fantastic

I usually eat the whole head. By myself. In one sitting.

I think the lemon counteracts the cabbagey taste that boiled cauliflower
gets. (I'm not a big cabbage fan.)

If it's "supper" I might grate some Parmesan over it, but it's optional as
far as I am concerned.

Charlotte