Sam D.

Default Just for Fun - Easter Bunny Cake

At the link below is a recipe and photo for a cake my mother used to make
for Easter when all her grandkids would be buzzing around the house.

http://www.tstonramp.com/~bluewater/bunnycake.htm

This came from an old magazine clipping that was among my mother's
collection. It was obviously a recipe developed to promote sales of
Pillsbury products and I'm sure it could probably be improved on for taste.
But the methods given for assembling and decorating this cake are really
quite clever.

Karen O'Mara

"Sam D." > wrote in message >...
> At the link below is a recipe and photo for a cake my mother used to make
> for Easter when all her grandkids would be buzzing around the house.
>
> http://www.tstonramp.com/~bluewater/bunnycake.htm
>
> This came from an old magazine clipping that was among my mother's
> collection. It was obviously a recipe developed to promote sales of
> Pillsbury products and I'm sure it could probably be improved on for taste.
> But the methods given for assembling and decorating this cake are really
> quite clever.

This looks like fun! I think I'm going to make one.

Karen
Julie Snowshoe

Sam D. wrote:

>At the link below is a recipe and photo for a cake my mother used to make
>for Easter when all her grandkids would be buzzing around the house.
>
>http://www.tstonramp.com/~bluewater/bunnycake.htm
>
>This came from an old magazine clipping that was among my mother's
>collection. It was obviously a recipe developed to promote sales of
>Pillsbury products and I'm sure it could probably be improved on for taste.
>But the methods given for assembling and decorating this cake are really
>quite clever.

You have hit on a topic that forces me out of the dark corners of the
room and from lurker to poster. (By the way, I enjoy most of the posts
on the ng). My mother used to make a bunny cake that I've never see
anywhere else. I suspect she found the pattern in an old Good
Housekeeping magazine (old being 1950's).

Using whatever layer cake recipe you desire make one 9'" round layer
and using the remainder of the batter make cupcakes. Cut the round cake
in half and stand up on the cut edges to form the body of the bunny
(frost between the layers). Cut a cupcake in half and use the large end
to form the bunny head and the small end for the bunny tail attaching
both to the body with frosting. Frost the bunny - my mother always made
one white bunny cake using a white frosting and coconut (which gave the
appearance of fur) and a brown (chocolate with coconut) bunny cake. Use
construction paper to make the ears and carefully insert them into the
body of the cake where the head joins. Use jellybeans for the eyes and
nose and pipe cleaners for the whiskers (in recent years I've used
wooden toothpicks for the whiskers). With the remaining cupcakes make
Easter baskets with jelly bean eggs and a construction paper handle and
arrange them around the bunny.

Too cute.

Julie

kilikini

"Karen O'Mara" > wrote in message
om...
> "Sam D." > wrote in message

> > At the link below is a recipe and photo for a cake my mother used to

make
> > for Easter when all her grandkids would be buzzing around the house.
> >
> > http://www.tstonramp.com/~bluewater/bunnycake.htm
> >
> > This came from an old magazine clipping that was among my mother's
> > collection. It was obviously a recipe developed to promote sales of
> > Pillsbury products and I'm sure it could probably be improved on for

taste.
> > But the methods given for assembling and decorating this cake are really
> > quite clever.

> This looks like fun! I think I'm going to make one.
>
> Karen

My mom made this exact same thing EVERY easter! Wow, that brings back
memories!

kili