Old 14-04-2005, 02:03 AM
[email protected]

Default Does Dry Rice Go Bad?

I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

Old 14-04-2005, 02:28 AM
Rusty

On 13 Apr 2005 18:03:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

From the Kusha Rice company website:

http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html

"STORAGE
Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
container, however you may if desired...."

"SHELF LIFE
Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
indefinitely, please see storage information above...."

Rusty

Old 14-04-2005, 02:37 AM
John Bonnett

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

Open the bag and find out. Is it grey, green or fuzzy ? Does it smell OK ?
Are there
little wevil carcases scattered through out it ? If not is is probably
quite edible.

John==take a chance...Columbus did !

Old 14-04-2005, 05:44 AM
Always More Questions

Rusty wrote:

On 13 Apr 2005 18:03:51 -0700, "
wrote:

I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

From the Kusha Rice company website:

http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html

"STORAGE
Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
container, however you may if desired...."

"SHELF LIFE
Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
indefinitely, please see storage information above...."

Rusty

Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
fridge
Old 14-04-2005, 05:48 AM
zxcvbob

kilikini wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

wrote:

I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

Perhaps it could go rancid if it was brown rice, but not white rice.
White rice will keep forever, or until bugs get in it (whichever comes
first.)

Best regards,
Bob

I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

kili

How could you tell? Seriously.

Bob
Old 14-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Rusty

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:44:37 -0700, Always More Questions
wrote:

From the Kusha Rice company website:

http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html

"STORAGE
Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
container, however you may if desired...."

"SHELF LIFE
Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
indefinitely, please see storage information above...."

Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
fridge

Yes. From the same website:

"FREEZER
You can freeze rice before or after cooking. Just be sure to place in
an airtight container to prevent frost from forming on it."

Rusty

Old 14-04-2005, 06:36 AM
jacqui{JB}

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

How could you tell? Seriously.

I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale and a
bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
-j

Old 14-04-2005, 07:15 AM
aem

Always More Questions wrote:

Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not
in the fridge

Get serious. Rice is cheap worldwide. If you eat it so rarely why
would you want it in your freezer? Every other vernal equinox go buy
some and cook it up. -aem

Old 14-04-2005, 09:20 AM
kilikini

jacqui{JB} wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

How could you tell? Seriously.

I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale
and a bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
-j

Yep, it's like a stale cracker - that off-cardboardy taste. I threw the
whole container out. It was nasty.

kili

Old 14-04-2005, 04:46 PM
[email protected]_email.com

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:20:11 GMT, "kilikini"
wrote:

jacqui{JB} wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

How could you tell? Seriously.

I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale
and a bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
-j

Yep, it's like a stale cracker - that off-cardboardy taste. I threw the
whole container out. It was nasty.

kili

I've experienced the same thing. It didn't take five years either. I
bought several bags of rice on sale and IIRC, I only had the last bag
for less than a year.