Default Does Dry Rice Go Bad?

I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

Rusty

On 13 Apr 2005 18:03:51 -0700, " >
wrote:

>I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
>rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

From the Kusha Rice company website:

http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html

"STORAGE
Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
container, however you may if desired...."

"SHELF LIFE
Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
indefinitely, please see storage information above...."

Rusty

John Bonnett

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
> rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

Open the bag and find out. Is it grey, green or fuzzy ? Does it smell OK ?
Are there
little wevil carcases scattered through out it ? If not is is probably
quite edible.

John<==take a chance...Columbus did !

Always More Questions

In article >,
Rusty > wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2005 18:03:51 -0700, " >
> wrote:
>
> >I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
> >rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?

> From the Kusha Rice company website:
>
> http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html
>

> "STORAGE
> Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
> agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
> refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
> warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
> container, however you may if desired...."
>
> "SHELF LIFE
> Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
> indefinitely, please see storage information above...."
>

> Rusty

Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
fridge
zxcvbob

wrote:

>>>I've had an unopened bag of basmati rice over 5 years. Does rice go
>>>rancid if sealed? Is it still OK?
>>>

>>Perhaps it could go rancid if it was brown rice, but not white rice.
>>White rice will keep forever, or until bugs get in it (whichever comes
>>first.)
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.
>
> kili

How could you tell? Seriously.

Bob
Rusty

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 21:44:37 -0700, Always More Questions
> wrote:

>> From the Kusha Rice company website:
>>
>> http://www.kusharice.com/faqNEW4.html
>>

>> "STORAGE
>> Store the rice in a cool place below 70 degrees. As with all
>> agriculture products, insects can occur if not properly stored. The
>> refrigerator is the best place to keep the rice, especially during
>> warm temperatures. It is not necessary to transfer the rice to another
>> container, however you may if desired...."
>>
>> "SHELF LIFE
>> Shelf life is about two years. If properly stored rice can be stored
>> indefinitely, please see storage information above...."
>>

>Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
>fridge

Yes. From the same website:

"FREEZER
You can freeze rice before or after cooking. Just be sure to place in
an airtight container to prevent frost from forming on it."

Rusty

jacqui{JB}

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> > I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

> How could you tell? Seriously.

I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale and a
bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
-j

aem

Always More Questions wrote:

> Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not
> in the fridge

Get serious. Rice is cheap worldwide. If you eat it so rarely why
would you want it in your freezer? Every other vernal equinox go buy
some and cook it up. -aem

kilikini

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>> I dunno, I've had stale white rice before. Seriously.

>> How could you tell? Seriously.

> I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale
> and a bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
> -j

Yep, it's like a stale cracker - that off-cardboardy taste. I threw the
whole container out. It was nasty.

kili

WinCE_Newbie@no_email.com

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:20:11 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>jacqui{JB} wrote:

>>> How could you tell? Seriously.

>> I've had that problem before, too. It smells and tastes, well, stale
>> and a bit rancid. I've had it happen with both basmati and jasmine.
>> -j

>Yep, it's like a stale cracker - that off-cardboardy taste. I threw the
>whole container out. It was nasty.
>
>kili

I've experienced the same thing. It didn't take five years either. I
bought several bags of rice on sale and IIRC, I only had the last bag
for less than a year.

Always More Questions

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Always More Questions wrote:
> >
> > Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not
> > in the fridge

> Get serious. Rice is cheap worldwide. If you eat it so rarely why
> would you want it in your freezer? Every other vernal equinox go buy
> some and cook it up. -aem

Cheap is cheap, but waste is waste. I buy a big bag of it and use it up
in about 6 months. Don't want it bug infested or going bad.

Always More Questions > wrote:

> Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
> fridge

Absolutely. I guy a 100lb bag of jasmine rice and put it in
the freezer. I can then transfer a month's worth or so into
a nice sealed glass container as needed. No bugs, no humidity
problems, and no off odors or tastes absorbed. Probably not
a great solution if you don't have a lot of freezer space,
but if you do it works fine. Oh, the 100lb bags I get are
plastic lined so there is no frost issue.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Peter Aitken

> wrote in message ...
> Always More Questions > wrote:
>
>> Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
>> fridge

> Absolutely. I guy a 100lb bag of jasmine rice and put it in
> the freezer. I can then transfer a month's worth or so into
> a nice sealed glass container as needed. No bugs, no humidity
> problems, and no off odors or tastes absorbed. Probably not
> a great solution if you don't have a lot of freezer space,
> but if you do it works fine. Oh, the 100lb bags I get are
> plastic lined so there is no frost issue.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Freezing raw rice is overkill in the extreme. It's like freezing canned
soup. No point to it. Dry rice keeps fine in a closed bag if kept in a cool
and pest-free location such as the back of a closet. We do it regularly with
about 6 varieties. Do not buy more than you can use in 6 months or at most a
year.

--
Peter Aitken

Bob (this one)

Peter Aitken wrote:
> > wrote in message ...
>
>>Always More Questions > wrote:
>>

>>>Can you freeze it? I've plenty of room in the freezer, but not in the
>>>fridge

>>Absolutely. I buy a 100lb bag of jasmine rice and put it in
>>the freezer. I can then transfer a month's worth or so into
>>a nice sealed glass container as needed. No bugs, no humidity
>>problems, and no off odors or tastes absorbed. Probably not
>>a great solution if you don't have a lot of freezer space,
>>but if you do it works fine. Oh, the 100lb bags I get are
>>plastic lined so there is no frost issue.
>>
>>Bill Ranck
>>Blacksburg, Va.

> Freezing raw rice is overkill in the extreme. It's like freezing canned
> soup. No point to it. Dry rice keeps fine in a closed bag if kept in a cool
> and pest-free location such as the back of a closet. We do it regularly with
> about 6 varieties. Do not buy more than you can use in 6 months or at most a
> year.

I think Bill's application is different; commercial rather than
residential. Much like when I bought exotic grains for my restaurants. I
found that they brought their own critters with them if I left them in
my storeroom. So we stored them in food-safe bags in our freezers. No
critters. No rancidity. No deterioration.

Pastorio