Mike

Default All Clad maintenance

The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

PENMART01

>"Mike" says:
>
>The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
>steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

All-Crap is designed to hang on a hook as eye candy, NOT to actually be used
for cooking.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

mary

I might mention that the All Cad workers are now on strike in Canonsbugh,
PA. Maybe they will outsource the jobs to China.

Tom
"Mike" > wrote in message
> The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
> steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

John Gaughan

mary wrote:
> I might mention that the All Cad workers are now on strike in
> Canonsbugh, PA. Maybe they will outsource the jobs to China.

We still do actual *work* in this country? I thought all that was left
was business managers and CEOs managing outsourced contracts.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Blair P. Houghton

Mike > wrote:
>The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
>steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

I use SOS pads, don't use more pressure than is needed to remove
the polymerized oil, and don't notice scratching.

Except for the polymerized oil, you don't need even an SOS pad, because
the stainless releases everything else with soap and hot water and
a plastic scrubber.

The blue and white stains can be eliminated by either
making spaghetti sauce (the acid in the tomatoes reduces
the bonds between the oxides and the metals) or using
Barkeeper's Friend (or any other oxalic acid based powder)
as directed on the package.

My All-Clad Stainless pots have about 2 years invested
in them, and look as close to mint condition as daily-use
cookware can be.

--Blair
"I'd show you, but I'm not at home
right now."

Blair P. Houghton

John Gaughan > wrote:
>mary wrote:
>> I might mention that the All Cad workers are now on strike in
>> Canonsbugh, PA. Maybe they will outsource the jobs to China.

>We still do actual *work* in this country? I thought all that was left
>was business managers and CEOs managing outsourced contracts.

According to the Bush administration, we're actually importing
manufacturing jobs, and leaving the business managers and CEOs
overseas.

--Blair
"And if you believe that one, could you
lend me $87 billion for this alligator
repellent system I'm building in my
neighbor's back yard?"
Dimitri

"Mike" > wrote in message
> The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
> steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

Look at their website for FAQ. You'll find:

Dimitri

How do I clean my All-Clad?

For daily cleaning, warm, soapy water is sufficient. Clean your All-Clad
thoroughly after each use.

Food films left of the pan may cause discoloration and sticking.

To get rid of stuck on food or discoloration and stains from using too high
of a heat, we recommend cleaning your All-Clad with a product called Bar
Keeper's Friend.

To use the Bar Keeper's Friend, simply use a soft cloth or sponge and water
and make into a soupy paste. This can be used on the interior, as well as
the exterior of your All-Clad (excluding the Cop-R-Chef).

The Bar Keeper's Friend can also be used on the exterior of the All-Clad
Stainless collection, LTD collection, and MC2 collection.

For cleaning of the Cop-R-Chef exterior, simply use a brass/copper cleaner.

If your water has a high iron content, you may notice a rusty discoloration.
Use Bar Keeper's Friend to remove this.

Vox Humana

"Mike" > wrote in message
> The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
> steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

As already mentioned, Barkeeper Fried is good for daily use. If you get a
lot of that brown, varnish-like build-up, you can use oven cleaner. Put the
item in a large garbage bag, spray with heavy duty oven cleaner, close the
bag and let it sit for several hours. You will be able to rise it clean. I
do this about twice a year.

The Wolf

On 04/05/2004 12:36 PM, in article ,
"Vox Humana" > opined:

> "Mike" > wrote in message
>> The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
>> steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

> As already mentioned, Barkeeper Fried is good for daily use. If you get a
> lot of that brown, varnish-like build-up, you can use oven cleaner. Put the
> item in a large garbage bag, spray with heavy duty oven cleaner, close the
> bag and let it sit for several hours. You will be able to rise it clean. I
> do this about twice a year.

What do you think of 3M Scotchbrite?

It is more abrasive than you think, but I haven't noticed a problem on
All-Clad.
--
=======================================
Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses.

Leo Scanlon

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:36:33 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>As already mentioned, Barkeeper Fried is good for daily use.

I know, I know, it's just an unfortunate typo, but this one really got
me laughing.

Leo

Vox Humana

,
> "Vox Humana" > opined:
>

> > "Mike" > wrote in message
> >> The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
> >> steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

> > As already mentioned, Barkeeper Fried is good for daily use. If you get

> > lot of that brown, varnish-like build-up, you can use oven cleaner. Put

the
> > item in a large garbage bag, spray with heavy duty oven cleaner, close

the
> > bag and let it sit for several hours. You will be able to rise it

clean. I
> > do this about twice a year.
> >

> What do you think of 3M Scotchbrite?
>
> It is more abrasive than you think, but I haven't noticed a problem on
> All-Clad.

I haven't tried the Scothcbrite pads on my stainless. I use the Barkeeper
Friend with a cellulose sponge and it does a very good job. In fact, I had
a pan that caught fire with oil in it. I tried oven cleaner and paint
stripper, but nothing worked. I has some Barkeeper's Friend, so I figured
that I would give it a try since I had nothing to lose. It removed all the
discoloration without scratching.

Vox Humana

"Leo Scanlon" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:36:33 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >As already mentioned, Barkeeper Fried is good for daily use.

> I know, I know, it's just an unfortunate typo, but this one really got
> me laughing.

I'm the world's worst typist. There's more where that came from!

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Mike"
> wrote:

> The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
> steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

Huh. I've got a MasterChef (the brushed exterior -- is it still made?)
sauté pan. It cleans *very* nicely in the dishwasher and sometimes I
scrub the outside with an SOS pad.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.
Christine Dabney

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 22:39:13 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, "Mike"
> wrote:
>
>> The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
>> steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

>Huh. I've got a MasterChef (the brushed exterior -- is it still made?)
>sauté pan. It cleans *very* nicely in the dishwasher and sometimes I
>scrub the outside with an SOS pad.

Yes, it is still made. It is called Masterchef II now. Still cleans
up like a breeze.
All of my All-Clad is that line. I love it.

Christine
sticks

I agree "bar keepers friend" and a copper scrubber. Copper scrubber
(from article in Cooks illustrated) works just dandy. Stainless
all-clad is one of the best. My All clad are the best looking and
cooking pots I have. And I use the "abrasives" on them ALL THE TIME!

Nothing puts fond in a sautee pan like stainless steel. They are made
for it!

Hugs,
Sticks

The Wolf wrote:
> On 04/05/2004 12:36 PM, in article ,
> "Vox Humana" > opined:
>

>>"Mike" > wrote in message
>>
>>>The salesperson said not to use abrasives like brillo on the stainless
>>>steel piece. Any suggestions on keeping it in top form?

>>As already mentioned, Barkeeper Fried is good for daily use. If you get a
>>lot of that brown, varnish-like build-up, you can use oven cleaner. Put the
>>item in a large garbage bag, spray with heavy duty oven cleaner, close the
>>bag and let it sit for several hours. You will be able to rise it clean. I
>>do this about twice a year.
>>

> What do you think of 3M Scotchbrite?
>
> It is more abrasive than you think, but I haven't noticed a problem on
> All-Clad.

Anne Bourget

I would not use anything abrasive...such as oven cleaner, Scotbrite,
etc. I have a lot of All Clad stainless and I first use regular
dishwashing soap and water. If more of a clean is needed I use Bar
Keeper's Friend. If I just want to get rid of that sort of bluish
tarnish that sometime occurs I (on the advice of an All Clad company
rep) just wipe it with vinegar, rinse, and dry. It is magic. Vinegar,
that is.
Vox Humana

"Anne Bourget" > wrote in message
om...
> I would not use anything abrasive...such as oven cleaner,

Oven cleaner isn't abrasive. If you have 18/10 stainless, you should be
able to use it without any problems. In fact, it was recommended as a
cleaner in the use and care instructions that came with my cookware.

PENMART01

> "Vox Humana" wrote:
>
>>"Anne Bourget" wrote:
>>
>> I would not use anything abrasive...such as oven cleaner,

>Oven cleaner isn't abrasive. If you have 18/10 stainless, you should be
>able to use it without any problems. In fact, it was recommended as a
>cleaner in the use and care instructions that came with my cookware.

A cookware company would not make such a blanket statement, to use a product
for which it's clearly not intended (good fodder for a law suit), especially
considering how many different types/strengths of oven cleaner are marketed,
and that they emit highly toxic fumes, burn skin, and inflict permanent
blindness. Oven cleaner is not abrasive, but most are highly caustic (sodium
hydroxide), not something recommended for applying to any metal... oven
interiors are porcelainized, that is why they can withstand oven cleaners.
Btw, being of stainless steel does not mean impervious, far from it, cooking
many common ingredients will discolor/pit/stain, and otherwise negatively
affect even the best stainless steel cookware.

People with properly functioning brains do not make indiscriminate use of oven
cleaners... Vox is clearly a pinhead, and a danger to society.

The following is from the All-Crap FAQ... note there is not a word about using
oven cleaner.

http://all-clad.com

[...]

---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Vox Humana

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > "Vox Humana" wrote:
> >
> >>"Anne Bourget" wrote:
> >>
> >> I would not use anything abrasive...such as oven cleaner,

> >Oven cleaner isn't abrasive. If you have 18/10 stainless, you should be
> >able to use it without any problems. In fact, it was recommended as a
> >cleaner in the use and care instructions that came with my cookware.

> A cookware company would not make such a blanket statement, to use a

product
> for which it's clearly not intended (good fodder for a law suit),

especially
> considering how many different types/strengths of oven cleaner are

marketed,
> and that they emit highly toxic fumes, burn skin, and inflict permanent
> blindness. Oven cleaner is not abrasive, but most are highly caustic

(sodium
> hydroxide), not something recommended for applying to any metal... oven
> interiors are porcelainized, that is why they can withstand oven cleaners.
> Btw, being of stainless steel does not mean impervious, far from it,

cooking
> many common ingredients will discolor/pit/stain, and otherwise negatively
> affect even the best stainless steel cookware.
>
> People with properly functioning brains do not make indiscriminate use of

oven
> cleaners... Vox is clearly a pinhead, and a danger to society.

All this from the "metallurgist" who claimed that no manufacturer would
suggest leaving oven rack in place during the cleaning cycle due to
liability. As I recall, in that instance you predicted that the racks would
fail and the user would be scalded with boiling hot pie filling. LOL!!

dishwasher maintenance? Kalmia General Cooking 40 16-05-2010 01:28 PM
FAQ maintenance Ronin[_3_] Wine 4 06-07-2008 06:30 AM
Grill maintenance Nonnymus[_6_] Barbecue 0 24-02-2007 10:42 PM
Free Computer Maintenance. jassica General Cooking 0 04-02-2007 03:32 AM
Diabetes Maintenance Supplies David Diabetic 0 26-06-2005 05:45 AM