Melba's Jammin'

Default Rainbow Trout

We had two for supper last night; Cub had them on sale for $4/lb and two
were maybe $6.50 . After consulting with the guys in the meat
department about how a novice might prepare them, I did this: slit the
belly the rest of the way to the tail, sprinkled both sides with
Penzeys stuff - Sunny Spain (?) - a lemon pepper thing. Flattened them
a bit and put them skin side up on heavy foil on the grill. Cooked them
for maybe 8 minutes, turned them and cooked them another 5 or so over
low-medium heat. times and temp are approximate. They were delicious
-- and moist; I was fearful of overcooking them and drying them out.
Wish I had more.

Big Mixed Salad, Tater Tot mini-hockey-puck things, broccoli, burned
carrots. La Twerp is here and we had her alone for the afternoon and
evening. She had cold ham, cooked carrots, Tater Tot things, a slice of
cucumber. And some cookies for dessert.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
aem

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> We had two for supper last night; snip]

You done good. Another excellent way for folks who don't fear fat is
to flour them lightly and fry in bacon grease. Seems to be a natural
complement of flavors. Wedge of lemon on the side. -aem

Peter Aitken

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> We had two for supper last night; snip]

> You done good. Another excellent way for folks who don't fear fat is
> to flour them lightly and fry in bacon grease. Seems to be a natural
> complement of flavors. Wedge of lemon on the side. -aem

Our favorite with the rainbows we would catch up in Canada was to take the
whole fish (cleaned and scaled) and make deep slits in the sides. Stuff each
slit wth ginger slivers. Put some more ginger and some scallions in the
belly. Wrap tightly in foil and steam for 1 hour.

--
Peter Aitken

Dave Smith

em wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > We had two for supper last night; snip]

> You done good. Another excellent way for folks who don't fear fat is
> to flour them lightly and fry in bacon grease. Seems to be a natural
> complement of flavors. Wedge of lemon on the side. -aem

The bacon grease is a a bit much for me, so I would use butter, and maybe
cornmeal with or instead of the flour.

Dave Smith

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Our favorite with the rainbows we would catch up in Canada was to take the
> whole fish (cleaned and scaled) and make deep slits in the sides. Stuff each
> slit wth ginger slivers. Put some more ginger and some scallions in the
> belly. Wrap tightly in foil and steam for 1 hour.

Best rainbow trout I ever cooked was from a trout farm about a mile from my
house. I went over just before dinner and got four trout right out of the pond.
They were netted and cleaned for me. I wished later that I had had them debone
them for me too. I made up a stuffing with some shrimp, crab, onion, breadcrumbs
and some seasoning, stuffed and baked them. They turned out wonderfully.

Sheldon

http://www.troutfishingsecrets.com/?hop=hydratek

> Big Mixed Salad, Tater Tot mini-hockey-puck things, broccoli, burned
> carrots. La Twerp is here and we had her alone for the afternoon and

> evening. She had cold ham, cooked carrots, Tater Tot things, a slice

of
> cucumber. And some cookies for dessert.
> --
> -Barb

"La Twerp"?

Sheldon

Ken Davey

Sheldon wrote:
> "La Twerp"?
>
> Sheldon

They were discussing trout - not you.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Jeff Bienstadt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> We had two for supper last night; Cub had them on sale for $4/lb and two
> were maybe $6.50 . After consulting with the guys in the meat
> department about how a novice might prepare them, I did this: slit the
> belly the rest of the way to the tail, sprinkled both sides with
> Penzeys stuff - Sunny Spain (?) - a lemon pepper thing. Flattened them
> a bit and put them skin side up on heavy foil on the grill. Cooked them
> for maybe 8 minutes, turned them and cooked them another 5 or so over
> low-medium heat. times and temp are approximate. They were delicious
> -- and moist; I was fearful of overcooking them and drying them out.
> Wish I had more.

I had trout for dinner last night, too. My local Central Market had them on
sale for $3/lb :-)

Salt, pepper, half-slices of lemon, and a little sliced leek in the cavity,
wrapped up in a parchment paper pouch, and baked for about 15 minutes.

Rice pilaf and asparagus to go with.

The best part of an otherwise very frustrating day.

---jkb

--
"There's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad....
And there it goes!"

Janet Bostwick

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:thisisbogus-
> :
>
>> We had two for supper last night; Cub had them on sale for $4/lb and two
>> were maybe $6.50 . After consulting with the guys in the meat
>> department about how a novice might prepare them, I did this: slit the
>> belly the rest of the way to the tail, sprinkled both sides with
>> Penzeys stuff - Sunny Spain (?) - a lemon pepper thing. Flattened them
>> a bit and put them skin side up on heavy foil on the grill. Cooked them
>> for maybe 8 minutes, turned them and cooked them another 5 or so over
>> low-medium heat. times and temp are approximate. They were delicious
>> -- and moist; I was fearful of overcooking them and drying them out.
>> Wish I had more.
>>
>> Big Mixed Salad, Tater Tot mini-hockey-puck things, broccoli, burned
>> carrots. La Twerp is here and we had her alone for the afternoon and
>> evening. She had cold ham, cooked carrots, Tater Tot things, a slice of
>> cucumber. And some cookies for dessert.

> Yum... It's been a long time since I've had trout. I love trout
> almondine(sp). I've never made it but eaten it in restaurants and it is
> fantastic. I've got some recipes for it. Maybe I'll try it this week and
> report back. Now you've made me hungry for trout.
>
> Michael

We're having halibut tonight. I haven't made the real thing in years
because it is so expensive. Costco had some lovely pieces yesterday that
were within my price range--$12 for 1.3 pound slab. Now I'm practically
afraid to cook it for fear that I will ruin it. What are some good ways to
do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten beyond that.
Janet

Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "Janet Bostwick" > said:

>We're having halibut tonight. I haven't made the real thing in years
>because it is so expensive. Costco had some lovely pieces yesterday that
>were within my price range--$12 for 1.3 pound slab. Now I'm practically
>afraid to cook it for fear that I will ruin it. What are some good ways to
>do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten beyond that.

I have some halibut in the freezer, and I'm going to wait until Crash takes
the grill out of the shed so we can grill the fish. I'll just sprinkle it
with lemon juice and plow into it.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Priscilla Ballou

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > We had two for supper last night; snip]

> You done good. Another excellent way for folks who don't fear fat is
> to flour them lightly and fry in bacon grease. Seems to be a natural
> complement of flavors. Wedge of lemon on the side. -aem

Hmmmm. I flour them and fry them in canola oil. They make a wonderful
change from eggs for breakfast. I was thinking that bacon fat would
overpower them. I guess not?

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Janet Bostwick

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
news
>A little birdie told me that "Janet Bostwick" > said:

snip
> I have some halibut in the freezer, and I'm going to wait until Crash
> takes
> the grill out of the shed so we can grill the fish. I'll just sprinkle it
> with lemon juice and plow into it.
>
> Carol

Really?. . .give. . .there's got to be more to it than that. No tricky
stuff with foil packets? How long? I've got the grill out and the rest of
the meal is no fuss--baked potato, asparagus and cheese cake--so I can stand
watch over the grill.
Janet

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
> > Big Mixed Salad, Tater Tot mini-hockey-puck things, broccoli,
> > burned carrots. La Twerp is here and we had her alone for the
> > afternoon and

> > evening. She had cold ham, cooked carrots, Tater Tot things, a
> > slice of cucumber. And some cookies for dessert.

> > -Barb

> "La Twerp"?
> Sheldon

One and the same. :-) AKA The BRG -- Blue Ribbon Granddaughter.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
aem

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> We're having halibut tonight. [snip] What are some good ways to
> do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten beyond that.
> Janet

Halibut is very accommodating, can be cooked successfully in the oven,
on the grill, or on the stovetop. This recipe is more popular among
Alaskans than even king salmon, imho. Some people thinks it sounds
uninteresting but as simple as it is, everything works together
perfectly.

Halibut Caddy Ganty

Halibut, fresh or defrosted very slowly
white wine
bread crumbs
sour cream [say, 2 cups per 2 lbs. fish]
mayonnaise [1 cup per 2 of sour cream]
finely chopped onions [1 cup per 2 lbs. fish]
Paprika

Cut filleted halibut into pieces approximately 1" thick and 3" x 3",
put in a large dish, and cover with white wine. Marinate in the
'fridge for 1 to 2 hours.

Drain the fillets and pat dry, then roll in dried bread crumbs. Place
in a single layer in a lightly buttered baking dish.

Mix 2 parts sour cream, 1 part mayonnaise and 1 part chopped onions
well together and spread thickly over the fillets, smoothing it out to
the edges so the fish is covered completely. Sprinkle the top with
paprika and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until light brown.
Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

There are many options, particularly to add a little spice or tang.
But as is, this is great comfort food. -aem

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Best rainbow trout I ever cooked was from a trout farm about a mile
> from my house. I went over just before dinner and got four trout
> right out of the pond. They were netted and cleaned for me. I wished

There's a long-time restaurant in NE Minneapolis that has a stocked
trout stream in the patio area -- you can net your supper. Jax is the
name of it - on University and about 13th or so.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.
Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "Janet Bostwick" > said:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>news
>>A little birdie told me that "Janet Bostwick" > said:

>snip
>> I have some halibut in the freezer, and I'm going to wait until Crash
>> takes
>> the grill out of the shed so we can grill the fish. I'll just sprinkle it
>> with lemon juice and plow into it.
>>
>> Carol

>Really?. . .give. . .there's got to be more to it than that. No tricky
>stuff with foil packets? How long? I've got the grill out and the rest of
>the meal is no fuss--baked potato, asparagus and cheese cake--so I can stand
>watch over the grill.

When I cook meat and fish, I cook it until it's "done." LOL!

Frankly, I've never grilled halibut, but I've eaten it in restaurants, and
all they seem to do with it is grill it. Might melt some butter over the
top and sprinkle with a little parsley for appearances. When I grill mine
(I hope soon), I'll just test it with a fork occasionally to see if it's
starting to flake - not just the edge, the center part, too. I'm NOT a
sushi person.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "aem" > said:

>Halibut is very accommodating, can be cooked successfully in the oven,
>on the grill, or on the stovetop. This recipe is more popular among
>Alaskans than even king salmon, imho. Some people thinks it sounds
>uninteresting but as simple as it is, everything works together
>perfectly.
>
>Halibut Caddy Ganty

This sounds great! It has never occurred to me to bread halibut. I've
only had it grilled. Gonna have to give this a shot. Thanks for posting
it.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
jmcquown

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> A little birdie told me that Dog3 > said:
>
>> I almost always grill it. About 7-8 minutes per side if it is a thick
>> filet. I keep it simple with halibut. A lemon butter sauce and a bit
>> of pepper is about all I put on it. It is so good by itself a heavy
>> sauce is not needed.

> Thanks for the timing. And your seasonings sound perfect. Good thing
> Crash doesn't like firmer fish. I'd hate to have to kill him for
> putting tartar sauce on halibut.
>
> Carol

Tartar sauce is a "side" - I'd kill anyone who put tartar sauce on my fish.
UGH.

Jill

Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "jmcquown" > said:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the timing. And your seasonings sound perfect. Good thing
>> Crash doesn't like firmer fish. I'd hate to have to kill him for
>> putting tartar sauce on halibut.

>Tartar sauce is a "side" - I'd kill anyone who put tartar sauce on my fish.
>UGH.

Please forgive him. He doesn't know any better. The poor guy grew up on
fish sticks, which *require* tartar sauce. He's coming around, though.
He's recently eaten fish with just lemon juice and pepper. And he doesn't
want fish sticks ever again. (He told me he's becoming a food snob <G>)

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Nancy Young

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote

>A little birdie told me that "jmcquown" > said:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the timing. And your seasonings sound perfect. Good thing
>>> Crash doesn't like firmer fish. I'd hate to have to kill him for
>>> putting tartar sauce on halibut.

>>Tartar sauce is a "side" - I'd kill anyone who put tartar sauce on my
>>fish.
>>UGH.

> Please forgive him. He doesn't know any better. The poor guy grew up on
> fish sticks, which *require* tartar sauce. He's coming around, though.
> He's recently eaten fish with just lemon juice and pepper. And he doesn't
> want fish sticks ever again. (He told me he's becoming a food snob <G>)

Jill is a he now? Thanks for letting me know.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "Nancy Young" > said:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote
>
>>A little birdie told me that "jmcquown" > said:

>>>Tartar sauce is a "side" - I'd kill anyone who put tartar sauce on my
>>>fish.
>>>UGH.

>> Please forgive him. He doesn't know any better. The poor guy grew up on
>> fish sticks, which *require* tartar sauce. He's coming around, though.
>> He's recently eaten fish with just lemon juice and pepper. And he doesn't
>> want fish sticks ever again. (He told me he's becoming a food snob <G>)

>Jill is a he now? Thanks for letting me know.

LOL! We were talking about Crash, who is definitely a HE.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Margaret Suran

The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.

Thank you.

Dave Smith

Dog3 wrote:

> I almost always grill it. About 7-8 minutes per side if it is a thick
> filet. I keep it simple with halibut. A lemon butter sauce and a bit of
> pepper is about all I put on it. It is so good by itself a heavy sauce is
> not needed.

Mmmmm Halibut. I agree with simple being the way to go. I feel the same about
salmon. Great taste and texture, and no need to do anythig fancy with it.
Save that for the fish with the delicate flavour (read..... bland ).

Dave Smith

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Please forgive him. He doesn't know any better. The poor guy grew up on
> fish sticks, which *require* tartar sauce. He's coming around, though.
> He's recently eaten fish with just lemon juice and pepper. And he doesn't
> want fish sticks ever again. (He told me he's becoming a food snob <G>)

Hold on a sec. I have made tartar sauce. It is worthy of a good piece of fish.

Sadly, too few people know how to cook fish. I was one of them. I am quite sure
there are lots of people here who can do a lot more with fish than I can, but I
have learned a lot over the years. I got into the habit of having fish when I
went for dinner in nice restaurants to give me some ideas about what to do with
fish.

Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that Dave Smith > said:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Please forgive him. He doesn't know any better. The poor guy grew up on
>> fish sticks, which *require* tartar sauce. He's coming around, though.
>> He's recently eaten fish with just lemon juice and pepper. And he doesn't
>> want fish sticks ever again. (He told me he's becoming a food snob <G>)

>Hold on a sec. I have made tartar sauce. It is worthy of a good piece of fish.

I think it was Wayne who posted a boatload of recipes for me. I've gotta
develop some kind of filing system. I'd like to try making some of the
good stuff.

>Sadly, too few people know how to cook fish. I was one of them. I am quite sure
>there are lots of people here who can do a lot more with fish than I can, but I
>have learned a lot over the years. I got into the habit of having fish when I
>went for dinner in nice restaurants to give me some ideas about what to do with
>fish.

I usually just saute them in butter. Sometimes, we put a cornmeal coating
on them, and fry them. We're really starting to get into fish.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Janet Bostwick

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in

snip
>> We're having halibut tonight. I haven't made the real thing in years
>> because it is so expensive. Costco had some lovely pieces yesterday
>> that were within my price range--$12 for 1.3 pound slab. Now I'm
>> practically afraid to cook it for fear that I will ruin it. What are
>> some good ways to do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten
>> beyond that. Janet
>>

> How thick is it? I like it grilled with lemon and pepper. Actually I like
> halibut a lot of ways. Baking is one option. I would put whatever
> seasonings you like on it and put it in the oven at about 350. Check it
> after 10 minutes to see if it is done (if it flakes easily). If it's not
> done check it every 5 minutes. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
>
> Michael

About 1 inch. I was thinking oven at 350F, smear the fish with some butter
and give a sprinkle of Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. In the past
I've done either a dribble of soy sauce or a dribble of lemon. This seems a
safe way to go for tonight. Thanks for the timing.
Janet

Janet Bostwick

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> "aem" > wrote in
> oups.com:

snip
>> Halibut Caddy Ganty
>>
>> Halibut, fresh or defrosted very slowly
>> white wine
>> bread crumbs
>> sour cream [say, 2 cups per 2 lbs. fish]
>> mayonnaise [1 cup per 2 of sour cream]
>> finely chopped onions [1 cup per 2 lbs. fish]
>> Paprika
>>
>> Cut filleted halibut into pieces approximately 1" thick and 3" x 3",
>> put in a large dish, and cover with white wine. Marinate in the
>> 'fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
>>
>> Drain the fillets and pat dry, then roll in dried bread crumbs. Place
>> in a single layer in a lightly buttered baking dish.
>>
>> Mix 2 parts sour cream, 1 part mayonnaise and 1 part chopped onions
>> well together and spread thickly over the fillets, smoothing it out to
>> the edges so the fish is covered completely. Sprinkle the top with
>> paprika and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until light brown.
>> Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
>>
>> There are many options, particularly to add a little spice or tang.
>> But as is, this is great comfort food. -aem
>>

> <tapping fingers on desk> Hmmm... this sounds pretty good. I may just give
> it a try. I'm doing some trout first
>
> Michael

Michael, I think you are very impressionable when various fish dinners are
discussed . . .talapia, trout and now halibut. Although, come to think of
it, I'm going to pick up some trout at Costco and put them in the smoker
next weekend, that's a killer dish.
Janet

Janet Bostwick

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> We're having halibut tonight. [snip] What are some good ways to
>> do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten beyond that.
>> Janet

> Halibut is very accommodating, can be cooked successfully in the oven,
> on the grill, or on the stovetop. This recipe is more popular among
> Alaskans than even king salmon, imho. Some people thinks it sounds
> uninteresting but as simple as it is, everything works together
> perfectly.
>
> Halibut Caddy Ganty
>
> Halibut, fresh or defrosted very slowly
> white wine
> bread crumbs
> sour cream [say, 2 cups per 2 lbs. fish]
> mayonnaise [1 cup per 2 of sour cream]
> finely chopped onions [1 cup per 2 lbs. fish]
> Paprika
>
> Cut filleted halibut into pieces approximately 1" thick and 3" x 3",
> put in a large dish, and cover with white wine. Marinate in the
> 'fridge for 1 to 2 hours.
>
> Drain the fillets and pat dry, then roll in dried bread crumbs. Place
> in a single layer in a lightly buttered baking dish.
>
> Mix 2 parts sour cream, 1 part mayonnaise and 1 part chopped onions
> well together and spread thickly over the fillets, smoothing it out to
> the edges so the fish is covered completely. Sprinkle the top with
> paprika and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until light brown.
> Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
>
> There are many options, particularly to add a little spice or tang.
> But as is, this is great comfort food. -aem

Thanks for this recipe, I've set it aside to try with salmon--a fish that I
am not overly excited about. But I think this recipe will moisten and
enhance salmon.
Janet

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:02:39 -0400, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
>Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
>quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
>bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.

I hope Victor will answer, but from my memory. The reason you only had
it at hotels is that they had to start with a live trout. With the
court-bouillon already aboil, kill the trout by whacking it on the
head, gut it quickly and plung it into the pot.

It snaps into a reverse arched back and stiffens almost immediately,
and the [European Brown] trout turns blue. You take it out and eat it.

If you have live rainbows in a pond or tank I don't see why it
wouldn't work, although I don't think the blue color would come.

I imagine there is an ideal size range for this also. Some farm trout
here get pretty big, and may ot be amenable.

So you have to be able to confidently gut the fish in one quick
motion, like a "herring choker" in a Nova Scotia cannery, after one
quick whack. It sounds to me like something that would get much easier
after you did it a few times, like shucking oysters.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137

John Bonnett

-----snip redux-----

> Michael, I think you are very impressionable when various fish dinners are
> discussed . . .talapia, trout and now halibut. Although, come to think of
> it, I'm going to pick up some trout at Costco and put them in the smoker
> next weekend, that's a killer dish.
> Janet

Try smoking it with apple wood if you can get some. There are online stores
which sell chunks of different species albeit at a relatively high price.
But
for a once-in-a-while smoking event I think its worth it. Cherry is pretty
good
too. Fish just won't stand up to mesquite or hickory. You would get the
same
results if you smoked the container the fish came in with those species.

I'm still battling for full control of my WSM smoker, but so far the score
is
John 7, ruined food 0.

John<==probably just jinxed myself !

Margaret Suran

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:02:39 -0400, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>

>>The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
>>Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
>>quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
>>bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.
>>

> I hope Victor will answer, but from my memory. The reason you only had
> it at hotels is that they had to start with a live trout. With the
> court-bouillon already aboil, kill the trout by whacking it on the
> head, gut it quickly and plung it into the pot.
>
> It snaps into a reverse arched back and stiffens almost immediately,
> and the [European Brown] trout turns blue. You take it out and eat it.
>
> If you have live rainbows in a pond or tank I don't see why it
> wouldn't work, although I don't think the blue color would come.
>
> I imagine there is an ideal size range for this also. Some farm trout
> here get pretty big, and may ot be amenable.
>
> So you have to be able to confidently gut the fish in one quick
> motion, like a "herring choker" in a Nova Scotia cannery, after one
> quick whack. It sounds to me like something that would get much easier
> after you did it a few times, like shucking oysters.

I have never chucked an oyster and I just looked and (thank G-d),
there is no trout nor fish of any kind swimming in my bathtubs. I do
not think that I could follow a recipe that starts out with having to
whack ones dinner on the head and killing and gutting it. No wonder
the poor thing turns blue.

Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes? I remember only
carp being sold in Vienna, Austria being a landlocked country and
refrigeration being nearly unknown at the time. We had no seafood or
ocean fish and the herrings and sardines and such were either canned
(sardines) or smoked (herrings), thus I grew up eating very little of
any kind of fish. We had jellied carp for traditional holiday meals,
but even gefilte fish was something I didn't taste until I came here.

Thank you for your help. I am the wrong person to kill my meal. Even
if I could get myself to do it, I would feel like a cannibal if I were
to eat it.

Janet Bostwick

"John Bonnett" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dog3" > wrote in message
>> 1...
>> > "aem" > wrote in
>> > oups.com:

>> snip

> -----snip redux-----
>
>> Michael, I think you are very impressionable when various fish dinners
>> are
>> discussed . . .talapia, trout and now halibut. Although, come to think
>> of
>> it, I'm going to pick up some trout at Costco and put them in the smoker
>> next weekend, that's a killer dish.
>> Janet

> Try smoking it with apple wood if you can get some. There are online
> stores
> which sell chunks of different species albeit at a relatively high price.
> But
> for a once-in-a-while smoking event I think its worth it. Cherry is
> pretty
> good
> too. Fish just won't stand up to mesquite or hickory. You would get the
> same
> results if you smoked the container the fish came in with those species.
>
> I'm still battling for full control of my WSM smoker, but so far the score
> is
> John 7, ruined food 0.
>
> John<==probably just jinxed myself !

Apple is the plan, although I have some cherry as well. We have
commercial orchards nearby and they sell the wood. Straight hickory is
pretty tough on most foods, IMO. We haven't ruined any food yet, but are
still on the learning curve. It's pretty hard to ruin something at low and
slow. I'm looking forward to more stable weather so that we can plan some
day-long smokes.
Janet

John Bonnett

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "John Bonnett" > wrote in message
> > -----snip redux-----

> Apple is the plan, although I have some cherry as well. We have
> commercial orchards nearby and they sell the wood. Straight hickory is
> pretty tough on most foods, IMO. We haven't ruined any food yet, but are
> still on the learning curve. It's pretty hard to ruin something at low

and
> slow. I'm looking forward to more stable weather so that we can plan some
> day-long smokes.
> Janet

That's the nicer part of living in the sunny Southland. SWMBO gave me my
WSM for my birthday last September (she said it was unattractive when I
held my breath and turned blue) and I've been learning how to use it ever
since. I also received (an Amazon.com wish list is a good thing !) a
Redi-Chek remote smoker thermometer. Makes all the difference because
I can monitor the temperature at the grill along with the temperature of the
food. I smoked a Boston Butt last weekend and by dialing the vents down
to a fare-thee-well held 225 F at the grill level for nine consecutive
hours.

The pulled pork BBQ from that was mouth-wateringly delicious !

John<==just added a Brinkmann water pan !

aem

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> [snip recipe for Halibut Caddy Ganty]

> Thanks for this recipe, I've set it aside to try with salmon--a fish
> that I am not overly excited about. But I think this recipe will
> moisten and enhance salmon.
> Janet

Oh no, please don't! My friends in Alaska would kill me if they
thought I was responsible for somebody slathering all that creamy stuff
over salmon. Salmon has a much more distinctive taste, and a good
piece of salmon is fattier and moister than halibut. Instead, mix honey
and soy sauce together and baste salmon while grilling it. That's all
you need to do.

I am assuming here that you will get wild salmon, not that terrible
farmed stuff. If you get the farmed stuff, I recommend boiling it for
about 45 minutes, then draining into a colander, dousing it liberally
with tabasco sauce, and chucking directly into the trash. <g> -aem

Janet Bostwick

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> [snip recipe for Halibut Caddy Ganty]

>> Thanks for this recipe, I've set it aside to try with salmon--a fish
>> that I am not overly excited about. But I think this recipe will
>> moisten and enhance salmon.
>> Janet

> Oh no, please don't! My friends in Alaska would kill me if they
> thought I was responsible for somebody slathering all that creamy stuff
> over salmon. Salmon has a much more distinctive taste, and a good
> piece of salmon is fattier and moister than halibut. Instead, mix honey
> and soy sauce together and baste salmon while grilling it. That's all
> you need to do.
>
> I am assuming here that you will get wild salmon, not that terrible
> farmed stuff. If you get the farmed stuff, I recommend boiling it for
> about 45 minutes, then draining into a colander, dousing it liberally
> with tabasco sauce, and chucking directly into the trash. <g> -aem

I've only had mostly bad experiences with salmon. I've never had farmed or
bought, just recently caught--all kinds, Great Lakes, mountain lakes and
ocean caught. However, everyone seems to cook the tar out of the fish and
smoke the heck out of it as well. It's always been bitter and dry and makes
me choke. The only exception is a neighbor whose husband makes a yearly
Alaskan fishing trip and invites all the neighbors over for a cookout. She
does something with maple syrup that makes the most wonderfully tasty and
moist fish. Your suggestion of honey and soy sauce sounds a good
possibility. I can buy farmed or wild salmon and would definitely buy wild
as the notice on the sale sign that the farmed fish is artificially colored
is a big red flag. The price per pound for the wild does take your breath
away.

Your recipe for farmed salmon reminds me of the old mid-Western direction
for cooking catfish. Season a board, tack the catfish to the board, cook
exposed to an open wood fire until done, remove catfish and throw away, eat
board. ;o} (ducking) I said it was an old mid-Western recipe--I actually
like catfish.

But, o.k., I will give salmon my own try and see how it goes. By the way,
tonight's halibut done in the oven was absolutely luscious, so moist and
tender.

Janet

Janet Bostwick

"Dog3" > wrote in message
1...
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
> :

snip

>>> How thick is it? I like it grilled with lemon and pepper. Actually I
>>> like halibut a lot of ways. Baking is one option. I would put
>>> whatever seasonings you like on it and put it in the oven at about
>>> 350. Check it after 10 minutes to see if it is done (if it flakes
>>> easily). If it's not done check it every 5 minutes. Shouldn't take
>>> more than 15 minutes.
>>>
>>> Michael

>> About 1 inch. I was thinking oven at 350F, smear the fish with some
>> butter and give a sprinkle of Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. In
>> the past I've done either a dribble of soy sauce or a dribble of
>> lemon. This seems a safe way to go for tonight. Thanks for the
>> timing. Janet

> Sounds yummy to me. Will you report the results back? I've never used soy
> on halibut.
>
> Michael

I was timid tonight and just did butter, salt and pepper, however, your
timing was a big help. I checked at 10 minutes and it definitely wasn't
done but 15 was perfect--just beginning to flake and very juicy. I think
the reason I bought this halibut was because it was the most beautiful piece
I'd ever seen. Absolutely no discoloration of any kind, the surface of the
fish was dry(the right kind of dry) and no odor. It even felt good when I
handled it. It must have been really fresh.

Soy sauce and butter is a nice touch, but you want to be careful that you
don't overdo the soy sauce or it can easily overpower the fish. I still
think that if you can get really nice, fresh fish that the simplest
preparation is the best way to go.

Janet

Ken Davey

aem wrote:
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> [snip recipe for Halibut Caddy Ganty]

>> Thanks for this recipe, I've set it aside to try with salmon--a fish
>> that I am not overly excited about. But I think this recipe will
>> moisten and enhance salmon.
>> Janet

> Oh no, please don't! My friends in Alaska would kill me if they
> thought I was responsible for somebody slathering all that creamy
> stuff over salmon. Salmon has a much more distinctive taste, and a
> good piece of salmon is fattier and moister than halibut. Instead,
> mix honey and soy sauce together and baste salmon while grilling it.
> That's all you need to do.
>
> I am assuming here that you will get wild salmon, not that terrible
> farmed stuff. If you get the farmed stuff, I recommend boiling it for
> about 45 minutes, then draining into a colander, dousing it liberally
> with tabasco sauce, and chucking directly into the trash. <g> -aem

While we are on this subject;
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/10/di...html?th&emc=th
Shamelessly lifted from the NYT.
resh wild salmon from West Coast waters used to have a low profile in New
York: it generally migrated eastward in cans. But a growing concern about
the safety of farm-raised fish has given fresh wild salmon cachet. It has
become the darling of chefs, who praise its texture and flavor as superior
to the fatty, neutral-tasting farmed variety, and many shoppers are willing
to pay far more for it than for farmed salmon.

Today, "fresh wild salmon" is abundant, even in the winter when little of it
is caught. In fact, it seems a little too abundant to be true.

Tests performed for The New York Times in March on salmon sold as wild by
eight New York City stores, going for as much as $29 a pound, showed that
the fish at six of the eight were farm raised. Farmed salmon, available year
round, sells for $5 to $12 a pound in the city.

For shoppers, said David Pasternack, the chef and an owner at Esca, a
theater district fish restaurant, buying authentic wild salmon "is like a
crapshoot."

The findings mirror suspicions of many in the seafood business that wild
salmon could not be so available from November to March, the off-season.
Wild and farmed salmon fillets and steaks look similar because farmed fish
are fed artificial coloring that makes them pink, but that coloring can be
measured in laboratory testing.

With East Coast wild salmon all but extinct and West Coast wild catches
restricted by quotas, farmed fish constitute 90 percent of this country's
salmon sales.

Yet last month, when fresh wild salmon should have been scarce, 23 of 25
stores checked by The Times said they had it in stock.

The Times sent random samples of salmon bought on March 9 to Craft
Technologies in Wilson, N.C., for testing and comparison of levels of
natural and artificial pigments, a method that scientists at the Food and
Drug Administration have used to identify wild and farmed salmon. The Craft
scientists analyzed pigments known as carotenoids.

Only the sample bought at Eli's Manhattan on the Upper East Side ($22.99 a
pound) tested wild. Salmon tested farmed at six stores: Dean & DeLuca in
SoHo ($16.95); Grace's Marketplace ($28.99) and Leonard's ($19.95) on the
Upper East Side; M. Slavin & Sons wholesale market at the Fulton Fish Market
($4.50 a pound for whole fish) and its Brooklyn retail store ($5.99); and
Wild Edibles at the Grand Central Market ($20.99).

Officials at Craft Technologies said that a sample from Whole Foods Market
in Chelsea ($14.99) seemed to show that the fish had been farmed at one time
and had escaped into the wild. Storms or holes in the netting are some of
the opportunities that fish exploit to make a break for it. Figures for the
number that flee their pens are hard to come by, but it may be in the
millions yearly.

A researcher at the F.D.A., who reviewed the results only on the condition
of anonymity, said that Craft Technologies "had used a method that is
accepted," and that he agreed with its findings.

In the last two years two scientific studies have reported that farmed
salmon contain more PCB's and other contaminants than wild salmon, and
numerous studies have called farming practices an environmental hazard.

When told of the results of the fresh salmon tests, Gretchen Dykstra, New
York City's commissioner of consumer affairs, said, "Labeling any item to be
something it's not is a classic deceptive practice." She added that her
agency would "be investigating whether these stores are in fact improperly
baiting their customers." Mislabeling food is against federal law.

Officials at the stores had a variety of explanations.

Peter Leonard, an owner of Leonard's, said that his records did not go back
as far as March 9, but that his sales clerks "must have gotten the salmon
from the wrong pile in the back."

William Lettier, the vice president for retail operations at Dean & DeLuca,
said four of his vendors could not provide him with their paper trail. He
said he now wanted proof of the source of the fish from his vendors and
would have his salmon spot-tested.

Jonathan Meyer, a partner in Wild Edibles, said he had narrowed the source
of his fish to two Northwest vendors and had suspended business connections
with both.

At M. Slavin & Sons in Brooklyn, the store manager, Phil Cohen, said: "Our
salmon is from Canada. All wild salmon in Canada is farm raised."

But it can't be both.

A whole salmon sold to this reporter as wild from Slavin's in the Fulton
Fish Market was pulled from a box marked "farmed Canada."

"I know you are looking at the label, but believe me," the clerk at Fulton
said. "Don't pay any attention to the label."

When his remarks were repeated to Herbert Slavin, an owner of M. Slavin, he
said: "How do you know he is an expert? We do not misrepresent."

Yah sure!

Regards

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Attached Thumbnails
Rainbow Trout-f.gif
Ken Davey

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Dog3" > wrote in message
> 1...
>> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in
>> :
>>

> snip

>>> About 1 inch. I was thinking oven at 350F, smear the fish with some
>>> butter and give a sprinkle of Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. In
>>> the past I've done either a dribble of soy sauce or a dribble of
>>> lemon. This seems a safe way to go for tonight. Thanks for the
>>> timing. Janet

>> Sounds yummy to me. Will you report the results back? I've never
>> used soy on halibut.
>>
>> Michael

> I was timid tonight and just did butter, salt and pepper, however,
> your timing was a big help. I checked at 10 minutes and it
> definitely wasn't done but 15 was perfect--just beginning to flake
> and very juicy. I think the reason I bought this halibut was because
> it was the most beautiful piece I'd ever seen. Absolutely no
> discoloration of any kind, the surface of the fish was dry(the right
> kind of dry) and no odor. It even felt good when I handled it. It
> must have been really fresh.
> Soy sauce and butter is a nice touch, but you want to be careful that
> you don't overdo the soy sauce or it can easily overpower the fish. I
> still think that if you can get really nice, fresh fish that the
> simplest preparation is the best way to go.
>
> Janet

Soy sauce and butter also do wonders for salmon. Bag it (plate covered with
plastic wrap) and gently cook in the microwave.
Caviat - I have access to large amounts of fresh caught Sockeye and a fillet
that will feed several famished folks is next to free in season!
(eat your hearts out) (BFG).

And in my humble opinion (referring to the subject line) the only thing that
a rainbow trout (fresh caught of course) needs is pan frying in butter.
Hot pan to crisp the skin and a brief time to avoid overcooking.
Heaven!!!

Ken.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'
http://www.spammotel.com

Victor Sack

Margaret Suran > wrote:

> The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
> Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
> quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
> bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.

I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout), and it was likely
freshly-caught. Besides, those Bachforellen in those times were mostly
wild, not farmed, as they are likely to be now. Alpine wild brook trout
is considered by many to be one of the world's truly great fishes.
Joseph Wechsberg declared it to be the finest fish of them all.
(Myself, I like it very much but usually prefer stronger-tasting fish).

The blue/bleu/blau method is simple and here is my take on this fairly
generic recipe (works for other fish, too). Ideally, use freshly-caught
wild brook trout of about 300 g (11 oz) each. First, prepare a
court-bouillon with water, parsley, celery, lemon (juice), vinegar, salt
and, optionally a bit of some or all of: pepper, allspice, bay leaf,
ginger, cloves and mustard seeds (I'm liable to use all of the above).
Meanwhile, gut the fish, rinse lightly under running water and salt
lightly inside only. Then, put it into the boiling court-bouillon (this
will lower its temperature, of course), bring to the boil again, reduce
heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
For four servings, use 4 trout, 3 l (3 quarts) water, 1 lemon cut in
slices (or its juice), 500 g (1 pound) total of parsley and celery), 8
tablespoons good quality vinegar, 2 tablespoons salt and, optionally, a
bit of some or all of pepper, allspice, bay leaf, ginger, cloves and
mustard seeds.

If the trout is truly fresh, it is supposed to curve up sidewise in hot
water and its skin will likely split open. This is a good sign.
(Frozen trout will usually stay ramrod-straight and its skin will remain
intact.)

Serve with melted butter and boiled potatoes.

Bubba