Old 10-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Melba's Jammin'

Default Rainbow Trout

We had two for supper last night; Cub had them on sale for $4/lb and two
were maybe $6.50 . After consulting with the guys in the meat
department about how a novice might prepare them, I did this: slit the
belly the rest of the way to the tail, sprinkled both sides with
Penzeys stuff - Sunny Spain (?) - a lemon pepper thing. Flattened them
a bit and put them skin side up on heavy foil on the grill. Cooked them
for maybe 8 minutes, turned them and cooked them another 5 or so over
low-medium heat. times and temp are approximate. They were delicious
-- and moist; I was fearful of overcooking them and drying them out.
Wish I had more.

Big Mixed Salad, Tater Tot mini-hockey-puck things, broccoli, burned
carrots. La Twerp is here and we had her alone for the afternoon and
evening. She had cold ham, cooked carrots, Tater Tot things, a slice of
cucumber. And some cookies for dessert.
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

Old 10-04-2005, 04:54 PM
aem

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
We had two for supper last night; snip]

You done good. Another excellent way for folks who don't fear fat is
to flour them lightly and fry in bacon grease. Seems to be a natural
complement of flavors. Wedge of lemon on the side. -aem

Old 10-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Peter Aitken

"aem" wrote in message
ups.com...

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
We had two for supper last night; snip]

You done good. Another excellent way for folks who don't fear fat is
to flour them lightly and fry in bacon grease. Seems to be a natural
complement of flavors. Wedge of lemon on the side. -aem

Our favorite with the rainbows we would catch up in Canada was to take the
whole fish (cleaned and scaled) and make deep slits in the sides. Stuff each
slit wth ginger slivers. Put some more ginger and some scallions in the
belly. Wrap tightly in foil and steam for 1 hour.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 10-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Dave Smith

em wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
We had two for supper last night; snip]

You done good. Another excellent way for folks who don't fear fat is
to flour them lightly and fry in bacon grease. Seems to be a natural
complement of flavors. Wedge of lemon on the side. -aem

The bacon grease is a a bit much for me, so I would use butter, and maybe
cornmeal with or instead of the flour.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Dave Smith

Peter Aitken wrote:

Our favorite with the rainbows we would catch up in Canada was to take the
whole fish (cleaned and scaled) and make deep slits in the sides. Stuff each
slit wth ginger slivers. Put some more ginger and some scallions in the
belly. Wrap tightly in foil and steam for 1 hour.

Best rainbow trout I ever cooked was from a trout farm about a mile from my
house. I went over just before dinner and got four trout right out of the pond.
They were netted and cleaned for me. I wished later that I had had them debone
them for me too. I made up a stuffing with some shrimp, crab, onion, breadcrumbs
and some seasoning, stuffed and baked them. They turned out wonderfully.

Old 10-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Sheldon

http://www.troutfishingsecrets.com/?hop=hydratek

Big Mixed Salad, Tater Tot mini-hockey-puck things, broccoli, burned
carrots. La Twerp is here and we had her alone for the afternoon and

evening. She had cold ham, cooked carrots, Tater Tot things, a slice

of
cucumber. And some cookies for dessert.
--
-Barb

"La Twerp"?

Sheldon

Old 10-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Ken Davey

Sheldon wrote:
"La Twerp"?

Sheldon

They were discussing trout - not you.

--
http://www.rupert.net/~solar
Return address supplied by 'spammotel'

Old 10-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Jeff Bienstadt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

We had two for supper last night; Cub had them on sale for $4/lb and two
were maybe $6.50 . After consulting with the guys in the meat
department about how a novice might prepare them, I did this: slit the
belly the rest of the way to the tail, sprinkled both sides with
Penzeys stuff - Sunny Spain (?) - a lemon pepper thing. Flattened them
a bit and put them skin side up on heavy foil on the grill. Cooked them
for maybe 8 minutes, turned them and cooked them another 5 or so over
low-medium heat. times and temp are approximate. They were delicious
-- and moist; I was fearful of overcooking them and drying them out.
Wish I had more.

I had trout for dinner last night, too. My local Central Market had them on
sale for $3/lb :-)

Salt, pepper, half-slices of lemon, and a little sliced leek in the cavity,
wrapped up in a parchment paper pouch, and baked for about 15 minutes.

Rice pilaf and asparagus to go with.

The best part of an otherwise very frustrating day.

---jkb

--
"There's some milk in the fridge that's about to go bad....
And there it goes!"

Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Janet Bostwick

"Dog3" wrote in message
1...
Melba's Jammin' wrote in news:thisisbogus-
:

[...]

Yum... It's been a long time since I've had trout. I love trout
almondine(sp). I've never made it but eaten it in restaurants and it is
fantastic. I've got some recipes for it. Maybe I'll try it this week and
report back. Now you've made me hungry for trout.

Michael

We're having halibut tonight. I haven't made the real thing in years
because it is so expensive. Costco had some lovely pieces yesterday that
were within my price range--$12 for 1.3 pound slab. Now I'm practically
afraid to cook it for fear that I will ruin it. What are some good ways to
do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten beyond that.
Janet

Old 10-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "Janet Bostwick" said:

We're having halibut tonight. I haven't made the real thing in years
because it is so expensive. Costco had some lovely pieces yesterday that
were within my price range--$12 for 1.3 pound slab. Now I'm practically
afraid to cook it for fear that I will ruin it. What are some good ways to
do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten beyond that.

I have some halibut in the freezer, and I'm going to wait until Crash takes
the grill out of the shed so we can grill the fish. I'll just sprinkle it
with lemon juice and plow into it.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article . com,
"aem" wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
We had two for supper last night; snip]

You done good. Another excellent way for folks who don't fear fat is
to flour them lightly and fry in bacon grease. Seems to be a natural
complement of flavors. Wedge of lemon on the side. -aem

Hmmmm. I flour them and fry them in canola oil. They make a wonderful
change from eggs for breakfast. I was thinking that bacon fat would
overpower them. I guess not?

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Janet Bostwick

"Damsel in dis Dress" wrote in message
news
A little birdie told me that "Janet Bostwick" said:

snip
I have some halibut in the freezer, and I'm going to wait until Crash
takes
the grill out of the shed so we can grill the fish. I'll just sprinkle it
with lemon juice and plow into it.

Carol

Really?. . .give. . .there's got to be more to it than that. No tricky
stuff with foil packets? How long? I've got the grill out and the rest of
the meal is no fuss--baked potato, asparagus and cheese cake--so I can stand
watch over the grill.
Janet

Old 10-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com,
"Sheldon" wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snip)
Big Mixed Salad, Tater Tot mini-hockey-puck things, broccoli,
burned carrots. La Twerp is here and we had her alone for the
afternoon and

evening. She had cold ham, cooked carrots, Tater Tot things, a
slice of cucumber. And some cookies for dessert.

-Barb

"La Twerp"?
Sheldon

One and the same. :-) AKA The BRG -- Blue Ribbon Granddaughter.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:32 PM
aem

Janet Bostwick wrote:
We're having halibut tonight. [snip] What are some good ways to
do halibut--I was thinking oven, but hadn't gotten beyond that.
Janet

Halibut is very accommodating, can be cooked successfully in the oven,
on the grill, or on the stovetop. This recipe is more popular among
Alaskans than even king salmon, imho. Some people thinks it sounds
uninteresting but as simple as it is, everything works together
perfectly.

Halibut Caddy Ganty

Halibut, fresh or defrosted very slowly
white wine
bread crumbs
sour cream [say, 2 cups per 2 lbs. fish]
mayonnaise [1 cup per 2 of sour cream]
finely chopped onions [1 cup per 2 lbs. fish]
Paprika

Cut filleted halibut into pieces approximately 1" thick and 3" x 3",
put in a large dish, and cover with white wine. Marinate in the
'fridge for 1 to 2 hours.

Drain the fillets and pat dry, then roll in dried bread crumbs. Place
in a single layer in a lightly buttered baking dish.

Mix 2 parts sour cream, 1 part mayonnaise and 1 part chopped onions
well together and spread thickly over the fillets, smoothing it out to
the edges so the fish is covered completely. Sprinkle the top with
paprika and bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until light brown.
Garnish with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.

There are many options, particularly to add a little spice or tang.
But as is, this is great comfort food. -aem