The Ranger

http://www.frs-scotland.gov.uk/FRS.W...?contentid=741
> > (when the above link breaks, use this:
> > http://tinyurl.com/4nty6 )
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/salmotru.html
> >

> Thank you, The Ranger. I enjoyed looking at all the links
> and I wonder how a fish that is native to Europe is now
> found in most parts of the world.

The easiest, and most often correct, guess is man's blind love of something
and wanting to "enhance" the environment he's currently inhabiting. I'd bet
that some well-to-do trucked some over from the Olde World to the New World
at some point in our recent pasts because of his fond love with the European
Brown. The native fish gave way to the new predator (trout are very
aggressive predators) and very territorial.

I'm sure one of the USA's DFGs (Dept. of Fish & Game) will have done an
impact study on them at some point in the last 40 years or so. I was amazed
at all the information on Coho Salmon and Arctic Greyling when I was fishing
more regularly.

The Ranger

Janet Bostwick

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
snip
> The easiest, and most often correct, guess is man's blind love of
> something
> and wanting to "enhance" the environment he's currently inhabiting. I'd
> bet
> that some well-to-do trucked some over from the Olde World to the New
> World
> at some point in our recent pasts because of his fond love with the
> European
> Brown. The native fish gave way to the new predator (trout are very
> aggressive predators) and very territorial.
>
> I'm sure one of the USA's DFGs (Dept. of Fish & Game) will have done an
> impact study on them at some point in the last 40 years or so. I was
> amazed
> at all the information on Coho Salmon and Arctic Greyling when I was
> fishing
> more regularly.
>
> The Ranger

I can't find it now, but I have read exactly as you speculate above. The
article that I read was in direct reference to the Yellowstone Park area and
the negative impact of the brown trout. The wealthy young men of the late
1800's were quite sophisticated travelers and also had their eyes on
business opportunities in North America.
Janet

The Ranger

Janet Bostwick > wrote in message
==>Man's Intervention with Natu Native Species Suffer<==
> I can't find it now, but I have read exactly as you speculate above.
> The article that I read was in direct reference to the Yellowstone
> Park area and the negative impact of the brown trout. The
> wealthy young men of the late 1800's were quite sophisticated
> travelers and also had their eyes on business opportunities in
> North America.

That's the way it has been in many areas throughout the US (and the world).
Men continually introduce a species into an area because without any
forethought into what it will do to the native species. Short-sighted
planning on multiple fronts.

My favorite is cats. I love them a lot but they are one of the MOST
destructive animals on the planet; their ability to adapt to any environment
is almost-legendary. Native birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, and
many mammals are compromised with the introduction of this opportunity
predator. Gahdz Ferbid there's a male-female set... Domestic cats can (and
will) ruin an ecosystem within two generations.

The Ranger