Serene

Dog3 > wrote:

[tartar sauce]

> I use it for fried fish sometimes.

That's its real strength, in my opinion.

> My secret guilt: I'll dunk french fries
> in it.
>
> Michael <- ducking after revealing another disgusting habit

Mmmmm, fries dunked in tartar sauce

World's easiest tartar sauce, a family standard:

3 parts mayo
1 part sweet pickle relish

Stir. Eat. Mmmm.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com
jmcquown

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>> [snip recipe for Halibut Caddy Ganty]

>>> Thanks for this recipe, I've set it aside to try with salmon--a fish
>>> that I am not overly excited about. But I think this recipe will
>>> moisten and enhance salmon.
>>> Janet

>> Oh no, please don't! My friends in Alaska would kill me if they
>> thought I was responsible for somebody slathering all that creamy
>> stuff over salmon. Salmon has a much more distinctive taste, and a
>> good
>> piece of salmon is fattier and moister than halibut. Instead, mix
>> honey and soy sauce together and baste salmon while grilling it.
>> That's all you need to do.
>>

> I've only had mostly bad experiences with salmon. I've never had
> farmed or bought, just recently caught--all kinds, Great Lakes,
> mountain lakes and ocean caught. However, everyone seems to cook the
> tar out of the fish and smoke the heck out of it as well. It's
> always been bitter and dry and makes me choke.
> Janet

I think salmon (regardless of its heritage) is mediocre at best unless
you're making salmon patties. I don't go out of my way to order it or buy
it from the fishmonger anymore.

Jill

-L.

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> We had two for supper last night; Cub had them on sale for $4/lb and

two
> were maybe $6.50 . After consulting with the guys in the meat
> department about how a novice might prepare them, I did this: slit

the
> belly the rest of the way to the tail, sprinkled both sides with
> Penzeys stuff - Sunny Spain (?) - a lemon pepper thing. Flattened

them
> a bit and put them skin side up on heavy foil on the grill. Cooked

them
> for maybe 8 minutes, turned them and cooked them another 5 or so over

> low-medium heat. times and temp are approximate. They were

delicious
> -- and moist; I was fearful of overcooking them and drying them out.

> Wish I had more.

Pan fried in a walnut crust - yum,-major-yum. And I don't even like
fish.

-L.

Sheldon

-L. wrote:

> Pan fried in a walnut crust - yum,-major-yum. And I don't even like
> fish.

So, you eat anything with nuts...

Sheldon

Janet Bostwick

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Janet Bostwick wrote:

snip
>> I've only had mostly bad experiences with salmon. I've never had
>> farmed or bought, just recently caught--all kinds, Great Lakes,
>> mountain lakes and ocean caught. However, everyone seems to cook the
>> tar out of the fish and smoke the heck out of it as well. It's
>> always been bitter and dry and makes me choke.
>> Janet

> I think salmon (regardless of its heritage) is mediocre at best unless
> you're making salmon patties. I don't go out of my way to order it or buy
> it from the fishmonger anymore.
>
> Jill

Does it seem really dry and grainy to you too?
Janet

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 11 Apr 2005 05:24:20a, Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:

> snip
>>> I've only had mostly bad experiences with salmon. I've never had
>>> farmed or bought, just recently caught--all kinds, Great Lakes,
>>> mountain lakes and ocean caught. However, everyone seems to cook the
>>> tar out of the fish and smoke the heck out of it as well. It's always
>>> been bitter and dry and makes me choke. Janet

>> I think salmon (regardless of its heritage) is mediocre at best unless
>> you're making salmon patties. I don't go out of my way to order it or
>> buy it from the fishmonger anymore.
>>
>> Jill

> Does it seem really dry and grainy to you too?
> Janet

I like it poached. I find it's neither dry nor grainy when cooked that
way.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Dave Smith

Serene wrote:

> Mmmmm, fries dunked in tartar sauce
>
> World's easiest tartar sauce, a family standard:
>
> 3 parts mayo
> 1 part sweet pickle relish

You should try the real thing instead of the easy stuff. It's
great stuff.

Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> I think salmon (regardless of its heritage) is mediocre at best unless
> you're making salmon patties. I don't go out of my way to order it or buy
> it from the fishmonger anymore.

Pity. I love salmon. It is one of my favourite fish, and now that it is
available year round at reasonable prices we have it almost every week.

jmcquown

Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I think salmon (regardless of its heritage) is mediocre at best
>> unless you're making salmon patties. I don't go out of my way to
>> order it or buy it from the fishmonger anymore.
>>

> Pity. I love salmon. It is one of my favourite fish, and now that it
> is available year round at reasonable prices we have it almost every
> week.

I don't call the prices "reasonable" but then again, I'm landlocked.

Jill

jmcquown

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:

> snip
>>> I've only had mostly bad experiences with salmon. >>> Janet

>> I think salmon (regardless of its heritage) is mediocre at best
>> unless you're making salmon patties. I don't go out of my way to
>> order it or buy it from the fishmonger anymore.
>>
>> Jill

> Does it seem really dry and grainy to you too?
> Janet

Not dry (unless it's overcooked) but yes, it's grainy. I don't care for the
texture. I think it's way over-hyped. And way over-priced. Give me
tilapia any day. Or even catfish. Trout is good but I rarely see it around
here.

Jill

Dave Smith

jmcquown wrote:

> > Pity. I love salmon. It is one of my favourite fish, and now that it
> > is available year round at reasonable prices we have it almost every
> > week.

> I don't call the prices "reasonable" but then again, I'm landlocked.

I am land locked too, but can get farmed salmon $5.99 per pound. Last week
it was $4.99, and a few weeks before that it was $3.99. It may not be the
real McCoy wild stuff, but it is still pretty good. It's cheap compared
to most other fresh fish.

Serene

Dave Smith > wrote:

> Serene wrote:
>
> > Mmmmm, fries dunked in tartar sauce
> >
> > World's easiest tartar sauce, a family standard:
> >
> > 3 parts mayo
> > 1 part sweet pickle relish

> You should try the real thing instead of the easy stuff. It's
> great stuff.

I love the real stuff. I also like the easy stuff. Life is like that
sometimes.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com
Serene

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I like it poached. I find it's neither dry nor grainy when cooked that
> way.

Broiled with a little butter and salt, we don't find it grainy, either.
Or we steam it in the steamer and add it to udon soup. Yum.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com
jmcquown

Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>>> Pity. I love salmon. It is one of my favourite fish, and now that it
>>> is available year round at reasonable prices we have it almost every
>>> week.

>> I don't call the prices "reasonable" but then again, I'm landlocked.
>>

> I am land locked too, but can get farmed salmon $5.99 per pound. Last
> week it was $4.99, and a few weeks before that it was $3.99. It may
> not be the real McCoy wild stuff, but it is still pretty good. It's
> cheap compared to most other fresh fish.

It's normally at *least* $9.99 per pound here and often higher than that.
Good thing I'm not that crazy about it, eh?

Jill

Damsel in dis Dress

A little birdie told me that "jmcquown" > said:

>I think salmon (regardless of its heritage) is mediocre at best unless
>you're making salmon patties. I don't go out of my way to order it or buy
>it from the fishmonger anymore.

I absolutely despise salmon. Unless it's hot smoked. I love it that way.
And the closest we have to a fishmonger is a bait shop. Mmmmmm, night
crawlers!

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Margaret Suran

Victor Sack wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
> inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout), and it was likely
> freshly-caught. Besides, those Bachforellen in those times were
> mostly wild, not farmed, as they are likely to be now. Alpine wild
> brook trout is considered by many to be one of the world's truly
> great fishes. Joseph Wechsberg declared it to be the finest fish of
> them all. (Myself, I like it very much but usually prefer
> stronger-tasting fish).

Bubba, I don't know about the trout I ate in the 1940's, I just would
taste a
bite from my mother's plate, but I remember well the ones I ate when
my husband and I spent most of the Summer of 1965 in Europe, traveling
in Switzerland, Bavaria, Austria and Italy, mostly in the Alps. There
were mountain streams in those mountains and there were many fishermen
seen, most of them selling the trout and other fish to the local
hotels. Other men,
women and children could be seen in the woods, picking mushrooms,
berries, plants and herbs.

In one of the hotels in which we stayed, in Wengen, the waitress would
ask at breakfast time whether we wanted a salad for the midday meal,
the main meal of the day. If we said that we wanted some, she would
go out into the vegetable garden when we entered the dining room later
on and cut the salad ingredients while we sat down. It was the same
with other dishes, especially freshly caught fish. Did we want trout,
if the fishermen caught some? If not, there would be rabbit or squab
or some other delicacy. I never felt like eating rabbit, but the trout
were better than any fish I had had before that vacation. And since.

> The blue/bleu/blau method is simple and here is my take on this
> fairly generic recipe (works for other fish, too). Ideally, use
> freshly-caught wild brook trout of about 300 g (11 oz) each.
> First, prepare a court-bouillon

*snip*

> gut the fish, rinse lightly under running water and salt
> lightly inside only. If the trout is truly fresh, it is supposed to
> curve up sidewise in hot water and its skin will likely split open.
> This is a good sign. (Frozen trout will usually stay
> ramrod-straight and its skin will remain intact.)

I cannot get fresh brook trout here and even if I could I would not
want to gut it. I don't even like touching a non filleted piece of fish.

While I had no fish for dinner today, just some gnocchi with sautéed
onions and breadcrumbs, I had a fabulous bottle of wine to go with it.
A wonderful Californian Sonoma Red from Ridge Vineyards and since
Marcel didn't come for dinner, I felt obligated to drink his share as
well as mine. No comments, Barbara, please.

> Serve with melted butter and boiled potatoes.

Yum, melted butter and boiled, parsley potatoes will be wonderful on a
filet of flounder or sole. That will be a fine dinner to go with the
second half of the great bottle of wine. Yes, I do drink red wine
with fish, so there.

> Bubba

MS

Bob (this one)

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:02:39 -0400, Margaret Suran
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
>>> Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
>>> quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
>>> bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.
>>>

>> I hope Victor will answer, but from my memory. The reason you only had
>> it at hotels is that they had to start with a live trout. With the
>> court-bouillon already aboil, kill the trout by whacking it on the
>> head, gut it quickly and plung it into the pot.
>>
>> It snaps into a reverse arched back and stiffens almost immediately,
>> and the [European Brown] trout turns blue. You take it out and eat it.
>>
>> If you have live rainbows in a pond or tank I don't see why it
>> wouldn't work, although I don't think the blue color would come.

Yes, it would.

>> I imagine there is an ideal size range for this also. Some farm trout
>> here get pretty big, and may ot be amenable.
>>
>> So you have to be able to confidently gut the fish in one quick
>> motion, like a "herring choker" in a Nova Scotia cannery, after one
>> quick whack. It sounds to me like something that would get much easier
>> after you did it a few times, like shucking oysters.

More importantly, you can't wipe the outside of the fish. It's the
coating that makes it blue. If removed, it's merely a poached trout.

Traditionally, trout were gutted through the gills so as not to disturb
the lines of the fish. No unsightly cut areas...

> I have never chucked an oyster and I just looked and (thank G-d), there
> is no trout nor fish of any kind swimming in my bathtubs. I do not
> think that I could follow a recipe that starts out with having to whack
> ones dinner on the head and killing and gutting it. No wonder the poor
> thing turns blue.

<G> It turns blue because of the coating of mucus on the outside. Trout
have only the tiniest scales and, instead are protected by a thin
coating of mucus. When it hits the hot court bouillon, the acid turns
the mucus blue and firms it so it doesn't seem mucoidal at the table.

This was Hemingway's favorite way to eat trout, according to legend.

> Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes?

Yes. Usually fast-running, cold streams are best, but they've adapted to
many other conditions.

> Thank you for your help. I am the wrong person to kill my meal. Even
> if I could get myself to do it, I would feel like a cannibal if I were
> to eat it.

I'm sure the fish feels the same way about you, Margaret. <g>

Pastorio
Bob (this one)

(Victor Sack) wrote:

>>>I'm pretty sure it was Bachforelle (brook trout) you had, not the
>>>inferior Regenbogenforelle (rainbow trout),

>>Pfftthhhggbbtt! Inferior rainbow trout - HAH! It was pretty darned
>>good, Bubba Vic.

> If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
> tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.
> And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
> beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
> probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
> trout-wise.

Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West
Virginia are simply stunning in the clarity of their flavor and texture.
Very cold water, swiftly running, high in the mountains hard to get to.
Not much presence of people, so the fish are as wild as it gets; no
pollution or trash in the water. A one-pound fish cleaned and done
Meuniere with a dusting of flour and quickly browned in hot butter is an
astonishing glimpse into the purity of the essence of fish.

I smoked some, planked, at our cookfire, burning birch and hickory
woods. Tasted like smoky butter. Golden trout aren't quite as fatty as
Rainbows or Native trout. Simply wonderful.

The wild Brown trout of western Virginia's mountain streams are very
good, too.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob (this one)"
> wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> >>Pfftthhhggbbtt! Inferior rainbow trout - HAH! It was pretty darned
> >>good, Bubba Vic.

> > If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
> > tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.
> > And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
> > beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
> > probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
> > trout-wise.

> Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West

(snip)

Uh, oh! "My fish is bigger than your fish."
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

Janet Bostwick

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Victor Sack wrote:

snip
> Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West
> Virginia are simply stunning in the clarity of their flavor and texture.
> Very cold water, swiftly running, high in the mountains hard to get to.
> Not much presence of people, so the fish are as wild as it gets; no
> pollution or trash in the water. A one-pound fish cleaned and done
> Meuniere with a dusting of flour and quickly browned in hot butter is an
> astonishing glimpse into the purity of the essence of fish.
>
> I smoked some, planked, at our cookfire, burning birch and hickory woods.
> Tasted like smoky butter. Golden trout aren't quite as fatty as Rainbows
> or Native trout. Simply wonderful.
>
> The wild Brown trout of western Virginia's mountain streams are very good,
> too.

Mountain lake trout, just caught, dusted with flour and in the pan on the
fire, coffee simmering in the speckled enameled coffee pot, biscuits
cooking, loons calling, sun just rising, mist drifting over the lake, so
quiet you can hear the feet of ducks and geese skim the lake water as they
land, a little chilly still and I'm the only one that is up, warming my
hands on my cup of coffee and occasionally turning my backside to the fire
to warm. Ah, heck, we've got to do that again soon.
Janet

Bob (this one)

(Victor Sack) wrote:

>>>If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
>>>tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.
>>>And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
>>>beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
>>>probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
>>>trout-wise.

>>Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West

> (snip)
>
> Uh, oh! "My fish is bigger than your fish."

Big ain't *this* issue. I'm willing to be convinced to the contrary.
Cook up a couple fish and let's see...

Feels like a European jaunt to me...

Pastorio
Blair P. Houghton

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>We had two for supper last night; Cub had them on sale for $4/lb and two
>were maybe $6.50 . After consulting with the guys in the meat
>department about how a novice might prepare them, I did this: slit the
>belly the rest of the way to the tail, sprinkled both sides with
>Penzeys stuff - Sunny Spain (?) - a lemon pepper thing.

Trout take to seasoning like fish take to water.

They bring enough fish flavor to be interesting in their own right,
but seem to match well with anything you might put on them.

Most white fish are too bland, and salmon can take over a dish
on its own. Trout seems to be the right platform for any cuisine
choice.

And I should probably not post this, or someone will steal the
idea and put it in a stupid screenplay and then I'll be looking
for a new fish to go with the wine I now have to buy because
it's not bloody Pinot Noir...

--Blair
"Problems you wish I had."
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 18:02:39 -0400, Margaret Suran
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>The only way I remember eating trout in Europe was "blue", or Blau
>>>Gesotten. Victor, do you have a recipe for it? I remember it was
>>>quite plain and had some butter on it and it was very good but very
>>>bony. We only ate it at hotels on vacation, never at home.
>>>

>> I hope Victor will answer, but from my memory. The reason you only had
>> it at hotels is that they had to start with a live trout. With the
>> court-bouillon already aboil, kill the trout by whacking it on the
>> head, gut it quickly and plung it into the pot.
>>
>> It snaps into a reverse arched back and stiffens almost immediately,
>> and the [European Brown] trout turns blue. You take it out and eat it.
>>
>> If you have live rainbows in a pond or tank I don't see why it
>> wouldn't work, although I don't think the blue color would come.
>>
>> I imagine there is an ideal size range for this also. Some farm trout
>> here get pretty big, and may ot be amenable.
>>
>> So you have to be able to confidently gut the fish in one quick
>> motion, like a "herring choker" in a Nova Scotia cannery, after one
>> quick whack. It sounds to me like something that would get much easier
>> after you did it a few times, like shucking oysters.

>I have never chucked an oyster and I just looked and (thank G-d),
>there is no trout nor fish of any kind swimming in my bathtubs. I do
>not think that I could follow a recipe that starts out with having to
>whack ones dinner on the head and killing and gutting it. No wonder
>the poor thing turns blue.
>
>Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes? I remember only
>carp being sold in Vienna, Austria being a landlocked country and
>refrigeration being nearly unknown at the time. We had no seafood or
>ocean fish and the herrings and sardines and such were either canned
>(sardines) or smoked (herrings), thus I grew up eating very little of
>any kind of fish. We had jellied carp for traditional holiday meals,
>but even gefilte fish was something I didn't taste until I came here.
>
>Thank you for your help. I am the wrong person to kill my meal. Even
>if I could get myself to do it, I would feel like a cannibal if I were
>to eat it.

The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's famous song) is a
freshwater fish but I am not sure if it is native to lakes or streams.

In the US we have several different trouts, some in lakes, some in
streams. I think there may be introduced Browns as well, but I am not
sure.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137
Sheldon

And I should probably not post this, or someone will steal the
idea and put it in a stupid screenplay and then I'll be looking
for a new fish to go with the wine I now have to buy because
it's not bloody Pinot Moir...

--BSair

Sheldon

Janet Bostwick

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message
snip
> The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's famous song) is a
> freshwater fish but I am not sure if it is native to lakes or streams.
>
> In the US we have several different trouts, some in lakes, some in
> streams. I think there may be introduced Browns as well, but I am not
> sure.
>

> Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

I think the Browns are one of the introduced fish in the Yellowstone
ecosystem.
Janet

Margaret Suran

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran
> > wrote:
>

> The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's famous song) is a
> freshwater fish but I am not sure if it is native to lakes or streams.
>
> In the US we have several different trouts, some in lakes, some in
> streams. I think there may be introduced Browns as well, but I am not
> sure.
>

> Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Rodney, The first line of the Schubert song tells you that it is a
brooktrout:

"In einem Baechlein helle", which means in a clear little stream or brook.

I shed many a tear over that song, as well as the one about the little
hedge rose. (

The Ranger

Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran

> wrote:
> >Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes?

[snip]
> The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's
> famous song) is a freshwater fish but I am not sure if
> it is native to lakes or streams.
>
> In the US we have several different trouts, some in
> lakes, some in streams. I think there may be introduced
> Browns as well, but I am not sure.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/sportfishing/species/brn.htm

or

http://www.frs-scotland.gov.uk/FRS.W...?contentid=741
(when the above link breaks, use this:
http://tinyurl.com/4nty6 )

or

http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/salmotru.html

The Ranger

Victor Sack

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> (Victor Sack) wrote:
> >
> > If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
> > tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.

> Honey, at my age I gets 'em where I can.

You can get 'em easy enough, of course - just eat beets more often. They
go well with any kind of trout or sans trout at all. Here is a delectable
recipe you will always treasure and make often, I'm sure. It is from
<http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JAW/is_2002_Wntr/ai_81466613/pg_9>.

Bubba

Golden Trout with Quail Eggs and Red Flannel Hash
(Serves 6)

Ingredients

For the trout skin:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6 11x2-inch strips golden trout skin

For the red flanne1 hash:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 onions, peeled and diced
6 Idaho potatoes, peeled, diced, and boiled
2 stalks celery
2 Scallions, diced
1/4 cup fish stock
3 ounces heavy cream
2 red beets, boiled, peeled, and diced

2 fresh water golden trout fillets, skinned and diced (*)
Salt and pepper to taste

For the vegetables:
1 cup unsalted butter
1 bunch broccolini, blanched (*)
1 bunch golden beets, roasted, peeled, and halved
Salt and pepper to taste

For the dish:
12 fried quail eggs
Beet juice
Coarse ground black pepper

For the garnish:
Chervil sprigs

(*) Available through Northwest Seafood at (800) 223-8286.
(**) Broccolini is a cross between broccoli and asparagus and is also
known as aspiration. Available through The Chef's Garden at
(800) 289-4644.

For the trout skin, preheat the oven to 225 degrees, place the trout
skin on a parchment-lined sheet pan and brush with the oil. Wrap each
skin around a 3-inch ring mold and place, seam side down, on the sheet
pan. Place in the oven and roast until crisp, rolling the molds
occasionally to cook evenly, about 40 minutes. Remove from the heat,
remove the molds, and set aside to cool.

For the red flannel hash, in a large saute pan, melt the butter over
medium heat. Add the onions, potatoes, and celery and saute until
tender, about five minutes. Add the scallions, fish stock, and heavy
cream and stir to combine. Saute until the mixture turns golden brown
and forms a crust, about 10 minutes. Add the beets and trout, togs. to
combine, and saute until warmed through, about four minutes. Remove from
the heat, season, and set aside keeping warm.

For the vegetables, in a medium saute pan, melt the butter over medium
heat. Add the broccolini and beets and simmer until warmed, about two
minutes. Remove from the heat, season, and reserve the vegetables and
butter separately, keeping warm.

To serve, place a trout skin ring in the center of a plate and fill with
some red flannel hash. Set two quail eggs on top and sprinkle with black
pepper. Arrange some broccolini and yellow beets around the dish,
drizzle with beet juice and melted butter, and garnish with chervil.

COPYRIGHT 2002 Culinaire, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2002 Gale Group
Victor Sack

Bob (this one) > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > If you think rainbow trout is "pretty darned good", your reaction to
> > tasting Alpine wild brook trout would be bound to be well-nigh orgasmic.
> > And if you are ever lucky enough to taste trout (I once did) from the
> > beautiful Lake Ritsa, high up in the mountains of Georgia, you'll
> > probably die of pleasure there and then. Nothing compares to it,
> > trout-wise.

> Gently disagree. The Golden trout I caught in the mountains of West
> Virginia are simply stunning in the clarity of their flavor and texture.
> Very cold water, swiftly running, high in the mountains hard to get to.
> Not much presence of people, so the fish are as wild as it gets; no
> pollution or trash in the water. A one-pound fish cleaned and done
> Meuniere with a dusting of flour and quickly browned in hot butter is an
> astonishing glimpse into the purity of the essence of fish.

Sounds great and very similar to what I remember of the Ritsa trout,
except mine was poached. Who knows, I might yet get to the West
Virginia mountains one day and try that trout, too. Judging by your
description, I guess I'd have to catch and cook it myself.

Lake Ritsa was pretty popular in those times, but only by the standards
of those times and places, of course. Actually, it was as wild and
untouched as it gets, just as you describe the fish in the West Virginia
mountains. It was not easy to reach, with extremely narrow roads over
the precipice, with hairpin turns everywhere, with, of course, no guard
rails or anything. Now, I'm told, hardly anyone goes there anymore. It
was a very long time ago when I was there, yet I remember the taste of
the trout as if it was yesterday. In those times, I hated all fish, yet
the kind, enthusiastic and expansive waiter at the little place by the
lake persuaded me to try that trout and a whole new world opened before
my eyes. That waiter, BTW, illustrated one of the differences between
Georgia and the rest of the former empire, where the usually indifferent
(if one was so lucky) waiter automatons were much more common.

Victor
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:31:47 -0400, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>onions and breadcrumbs, I had a fabulous bottle of wine to go with it.
> A wonderful Californian Sonoma Red from Ridge Vineyards and since
>Marcel didn't come for dinner, I felt obligated to drink his share as
>well as mine. No comments, Barbara, please.

Only right. A wine of such nobiity should not be kept overnight. I
would have done the same.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 10:21:50 -0400, Margaret Suran
> wrote:

>Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran
>> > wrote:
>>

>> The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's famous song) is a
>> freshwater fish but I am not sure if it is native to lakes or streams.
>>
>> In the US we have several different trouts, some in lakes, some in
>> streams. I think there may be introduced Browns as well, but I am not
>> sure.
>>

>> Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

>Rodney, The first line of the Schubert song tells you that it is a
>brooktrout:
>
>"In einem Baechlein helle", which means in a clear little stream or brook.
>
>I shed many a tear over that song, as well as the one about the little
>hedge rose. (

Of course, Margaret. Thank you. I mostly have heard the song as it is
used in the string quintet, and haven't really focused on the words.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Happy is he that taketh thy little ones and dasheth them upon the stones." __Psalm 137
Margaret Suran

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

> Of course, Margaret. Thank you. I mostly have heard the song as it is
> used in the string quintet, and haven't really focused on the words.
>
> Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Rodney, The Trout Quintet was always one of my favorites. I once
heard it performed by five members of the Vienna Philharmonic and it
was awesome. That was many years ago and I don't remember even one of
their names. Old age, I guess. (

Margaret Suran

The Ranger wrote:
> Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 21:16:24 -0400, Margaret Suran

> > wrote:
>
>>>Where does trout come from, both rivers and lakes?

> [snip]
>
>>The European Brown Trout (Die Forelle of Shubert's
>>famous song) is a freshwater fish but I am not sure if
>>it is native to lakes or streams.
>>
>>In the US we have several different trouts, some in
>>lakes, some in streams. I think there may be introduced
>>Browns as well, but I am not sure.

> http://www.gov.ns.ca/nsaf/sportfishing/species/brn.htm
>
> or
>
> http://www.frs-scotland.gov.uk/FRS.W...?contentid=741
> (when the above link breaks, use this:
> http://tinyurl.com/4nty6 )
>
> or
>
> http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/salmotru.html
>
> The Ranger

Thank you, The Ranger. I enjoyed looking at all the links and I
wonder how a fish that is native to Europe is now found in most parts
of the world. M