Barbara Mayo-Wells

Default choc chips vs morsels

I have a crowd-pleasing quick-and-easy church cookbook recipe that never
fails. Dagnabbit, today it did.

Frosting recipe is:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
5 tbsp margarine or butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz package)

Combine sugar, milk, & margarine, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute stirring
constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour
and spread over warm bars. Cool completely.

Today's problem: I inadvertently bought Nestle chocolate morsels instead of
chocolate chips (they were on sale, half price), and used them. I stirred
and stirred and stirred -- 20 minutes at least -- and the mixture never did
get totally smooth. Little flecks of chocolate throughout. Tasted good,
but looked crummy, and I was hoping to impress with this one.

Any ideas about why this happened?

The frosting usually stays soft and has a pleasing sheen. It goes atop the
following:

CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS:
1 pkg Pillsbury Moist Supreme devil's food cake mix
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
1 tsp almont extract
1 eggs, beaten

Combine ingredients, stir until well blended, spread in greased 15 x 10 x 1
inch pan.
Bake at 350 F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about
20-30 minutes.
Frost, cool completely, and cut into bars.

hahabogus

"Barbara Mayo-Wells" > wrote in
:

> Frosting recipe is:
>
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup milk
> 5 tbsp margarine or butter
> 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz package)
>
> Combine sugar, milk, & margarine, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute
> stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until
> smooth. Pour and spread over warm bars. Cool completely.
>
> Today's problem: I inadvertently bought Nestle chocolate morsels
> instead of chocolate chips (they were on sale, half price), and used
> them. I stirred and stirred and stirred -- 20 minutes at least -- and
> the mixture never did get totally smooth. Little flecks of chocolate
> throughout. Tasted good, but looked crummy, and I was hoping to
> impress with this one.
>
> Any ideas about why this happened?

The morsels seized...That is to say there was a higher % of chocolate in
the morsels than in the chips and true chocolate doesn't like to boil.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Sheryl Rosen

in article , Barbara Mayo-Wells at
wrote on 4/3/04 1:20 PM:

> I have a crowd-pleasing quick-and-easy church cookbook recipe that never
> fails. Dagnabbit, today it did.
>
> Frosting recipe is:
>
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup milk
> 5 tbsp margarine or butter
> 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz package)
>
> Combine sugar, milk, & margarine, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute stirring
> constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour
> and spread over warm bars. Cool completely.
>
> Today's problem: I inadvertently bought Nestle chocolate morsels instead of
> chocolate chips (they were on sale, half price), and used them. I stirred
> and stirred and stirred -- 20 minutes at least -- and the mixture never did
> get totally smooth. Little flecks of chocolate throughout. Tasted good,
> but looked crummy, and I was hoping to impress with this one.
>
> Any ideas about why this happened?

Nestle calls their chocolate chips "morsels". They are the same thing.

What brand do you usually buy? Perhaps the brand you've bought before melts
better than Nestle's does.

The thing about chocolate chips/morsels is that they are designed to hold
their shape in cookies after baking. So they melt a little on the inside,
but they never fully melt. That's desirable in cookies, but not in recipes
that call for smooth, melted chocolate.

For melting, you are better off buying a semi-sweet bar of baking chocolate
(Ghiradelli makes one, as does Baker's, both of which are available at most
supermarkets.) and breaking it apart. Bar chocolate will melt more smoothly
chips/morsels. Hershey's and Nestles also make squares of semi-sweet (as
well as unsweetened) chocolate that are meant to be melted before using.

> The frosting usually stays soft and has a pleasing sheen. It goes atop the
> following:
>
> CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS:
> 1 pkg Pillsbury Moist Supreme devil's food cake mix
> 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
> 1 tsp almont extract
> 1 eggs, beaten
>
> Combine ingredients, stir until well blended, spread in greased 15 x 10 x 1
> inch pan.
> Bake at 350 F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about
> 20-30 minutes.
> Frost, cool completely, and cut into bars.

The Cook

"Barbara Mayo-Wells" > wrote:

>I have a crowd-pleasing quick-and-easy church cookbook recipe that never
>fails. Dagnabbit, today it did.
>
>Frosting recipe is:
>
>1 cup sugar
>1/2 cup milk
>5 tbsp margarine or butter
>1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz package)
>
>Combine sugar, milk, & margarine, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute stirring
>constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour
>and spread over warm bars. Cool completely.
>
>Today's problem: I inadvertently bought Nestle chocolate morsels instead of
>chocolate chips (they were on sale, half price), and used them. I stirred
>and stirred and stirred -- 20 minutes at least -- and the mixture never did
>get totally smooth. Little flecks of chocolate throughout. Tasted good,
>but looked crummy, and I was hoping to impress with this one.
>
>Any ideas about why this happened?
>
>The frosting usually stays soft and has a pleasing sheen. It goes atop the
>following:
>
>CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS:
>1 pkg Pillsbury Moist Supreme devil's food cake mix
>1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
>1 tsp almont extract
>1 eggs, beaten
>
>Combine ingredients, stir until well blended, spread in greased 15 x 10 x 1
>inch pan.
>Bake at 350 F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about
>20-30 minutes.
>Frost, cool completely, and cut into bars.

I have made this recipe several time with Nestle's chocolate morsels
and had no problem. Only difference is my recipe calls for butter. I
also used to make the mint chocolate chip cookies with the Nestle's
mint morsels and the recipe calls for melting 1/2 of the chips. Never
a problem.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

REC: Triple choc brownies & decadent choc sauce Aussie1 General Cooking 0 15-12-2010 08:49 PM
Rum Choc Truffles cmo Recipes 0 31-12-2004 06:59 PM
choc ant Chocolate 0 06-10-2004 10:17 AM
choc.cream pie [email protected] General Cooking 24 06-04-2004 09:05 PM
Choc Mixer a Baking 2 24-01-2004 05:03 PM