Kate Connally

Default Wonderful discovery!

Well, I was shopping last Friday and I thought I'd
pick up some yogurt to make lassi with some of the
strawberries I had just picked up on sale. On the
way to the regular yogurt section of the supermarket
I came upon a different section, nowhere near the
regular one, that had a number of things including
kefir and some Stonyfield yogurts. I stopped out
of curiosity and was intrigued by the Stonyfield
whole milk yogurt. There were 4 varieties of Stony-
field yogure, 3 of which were plain and low-fat
and one of which was the whole milk yogurt which
was French vanilla flavor. Although I would normally
buy plain, unflavored yogurt for lassi I had to have
the whole milk stuff and figured the flavoring would
not hurt, in fact would make more scrumptious, the
strawberry lassi since it's a sweet lassi anyway.

However, I was a little worried about buying this
brand as I had once bought a couple of pints of their
organic ice cream at Best Foods when it was on sale.
They were awful! But this sounded so good I couldn't
resist. So I took it home. They only had it in
quart containers, so I really hoped it was good.

I sliced up the berries and sugared them and left them
sit out overnight to make juice. Sat. I had a large
bowl of berries and I just spooned a large helping of
the yogurt over them. Boy was that luscious. The
texture is amazing, too! Thick and smooth. I usually
don't care for the texture of yogurt, which has always
heretofore been low-fat yogurt, since that's all you
can usually get. I would never have put the plain
low-fat yogurt on my berries like that. It's okay
used in cooking and blended with fruit and water to
make lassi but just plain out of the container I'd
rather not eat it.

Well, now I'm addicted to this yogurt. Can't wait
to get home and have some more berries and yogurt for
dessert tonight. I still haven't made the lassi since
it was so good the other way. Yum.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Ariane Jenkins

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:31:07 -0400, Kate Connally > wrote:
[snip]
> I sliced up the berries and sugared them and left them
> sit out overnight to make juice. Sat. I had a large
> bowl of berries and I just spooned a large helping of
> the yogurt over them. Boy was that luscious. The
> texture is amazing, too! Thick and smooth. I usually
> don't care for the texture of yogurt, which has always
> heretofore been low-fat yogurt, since that's all you
> can usually get. I would never have put the plain
> low-fat yogurt on my berries like that. It's okay
> used in cooking and blended with fruit and water to
> make lassi but just plain out of the container I'd
> rather not eat it.
>
> Well, now I'm addicted to this yogurt. Can't wait
> to get home and have some more berries and yogurt for
> dessert tonight. I still haven't made the lassi since
> it was so good the other way. Yum.

Agreed, it's great stuff. Cubs here used to carry Stonyfield's whole
milk yogurt, but for some reason they stopped doing it. I usually get whole
milk yogurt from Trader Joe's or Jungle Jim's. The latter has more variety,
and the last type I tried (Hawthorne Valley, I think it was) was delicious. I
prefer adding my own fruit and sweeteners like you did. Last time we were at
TJ's, I got a small container of the Greek yogurt with honey on the side to
mix in, but haven't tried it yet. Someone on this NG recommended it, and it
did sound good. Next step is experimenting with homemade yogurt, maybe using
cream instead of milk. ~

In a pinch, I'll get Dannon with fruit on the bottom. But more and
more prepackaged/sweetened yogurts are using artificial sweeteners now, and I
don't like the way they taste.

Ariane

nivekbd

Ariane Jenkins > wrote in message >...
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 13:31:07 -0400, Kate Connally > wrote:
> [snip]
> > I sliced up the berries and sugared them and left them
> > sit out overnight to make juice. Sat. I had a large
> > bowl of berries and I just spooned a large helping of
> > the yogurt over them. Boy was that luscious. The
> > texture is amazing, too! Thick and smooth. I usually
> > don't care for the texture of yogurt, which has always
> > heretofore been low-fat yogurt, since that's all you
> > can usually get. I would never have put the plain
> > low-fat yogurt on my berries like that. It's okay
> > used in cooking and blended with fruit and water to
> > make lassi but just plain out of the container I'd
> > rather not eat it.
> >
> > Well, now I'm addicted to this yogurt. Can't wait
> > to get home and have some more berries and yogurt for
> > dessert tonight. I still haven't made the lassi since
> > it was so good the other way. Yum.

> Agreed, it's great stuff. Cubs here used to carry Stonyfield's whole
> milk yogurt, but for some reason they stopped doing it. I usually get whole
> milk yogurt from Trader Joe's or Jungle Jim's. The latter has more variety,
> and the last type I tried (Hawthorne Valley, I think it was) was delicious. I
> prefer adding my own fruit and sweeteners like you did. Last time we were at
> TJ's, I got a small container of the Greek yogurt with honey on the side to
> mix in, but haven't tried it yet. Someone on this NG recommended it, and it
> did sound good. Next step is experimenting with homemade yogurt, maybe using
> cream instead of milk. ~
>
> In a pinch, I'll get Dannon with fruit on the bottom. But more and
> more prepackaged/sweetened yogurts are using artificial sweeteners now, and I
> don't like the way they taste.
>
> Ariane

Thank you for your wonderful receipe - what a great idea. I am going
to try it myself as it will be a really refreshing drink for the
summer - that is if we get one.
Again, many thanks
Kevin
-L.

Kate Connally wrote:
> Well, I was shopping last Friday and I thought I'd
> pick up some yogurt to make lassi with some of the
> strawberries I had just picked up on sale. On the
> way to the regular yogurt section of the supermarket
> I came upon a different section, nowhere near the
> regular one, that had a number of things including
> kefir and some Stonyfield yogurts.

<snip>

I buy Stonyfield Farms yogurt quite often. It's excellent. If you call
their CS line (the 1-800 number on the container) they will send you
coupons for $$ off.

-L.

A discovery Paul M. Cook General Cooking 20 27-02-2014 10:00 AM
discovery and euthanasia Emery Davis[_5_] Wine 4 03-07-2012 12:01 PM
On Topic Discovery! JeanineAlyse General Cooking 11 24-03-2012 03:37 AM
Vietnam Discovery putin Beer 0 20-07-2009 09:32 AM
my latest discovery krom Diabetic 10 14-01-2008 08:51 PM