FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cornstarch substitute? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/57611-cornstarch-substitute.html)

jmcquown 29-03-2005 08:57 PM

Cornstarch substitute?

I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help bind
together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour would be
too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?

Recipe follows:

3 oz. crab meat
6 oz. ground pork
6 large shrimp, minced*
1 Tbs. water
1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 egg
1-1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
1 Tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. pepper

*or 1 can baby shrimp, well drained
Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers. Place 1 Tbs. filling in the
center of each wrapper and fold and pinch to seal with moistened fingers.
Cover and steam over boiling water 20-25 minutes.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

Dimitri 29-03-2005 09:05 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help bind
together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour would
be
too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?

snip

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

Go here and see what you have.

Got any tapioca

Rusty 29-03-2005 09:10 PM

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Several websites on Google list these as substitutes:

Cornstarch Substitute

For 1 tablespoon, use 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour;
1 tablespoon potato flour or rice flour;
4 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca; or 2 teaspoons arrowroot.

======

Cornstarch in the United States
and cornflour in the UK are the same product.
If you don't have cornstarch you can use double the
amount of flour but it must be boiled for a while or it will taste
starchy.

Potato flour is not a flour it is a
starch and another equivalent to cornstarch.

Arrowroot is also and equivalent of cornstarch
but it works at a lower temperature.

=====

Rusty

Dave Smith 29-03-2005 09:15 PM

Dimitri wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help bind
together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour would
be
too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?

snip

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

Go here and see what you have.

Got any tapioca

Tapioca would probably take too long. I use it in sour cherry pies and it takes
a good 45 minutes even after partial cooking. Those little dumplings take just
a few minutes.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet 29-03-2005 10:00 PM

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to
help bind together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I
think flour would be too glutinous. Aside from going to the store,
any suggestions?

Perhaps you have potato starch? Or tapioca?

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban

Sheldon 29-03-2005 10:18 PM

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I've actually watched such items as dumpling/wonton filling being made
at Chinese restaurants (I'm always snooping at food prep), they don't
use corn starch or any other starch as a binder... they use egg white
(no yolk)... starch is a great thickener (and filler) but a really
lousy binder, especially when ingredients begin to ooze liquid... in
the above recipe the cornstarch is there to absorb the liquid steaming
from the meat during cooking, otherwise by the time it's served
there'll be a puddle in the dish and the filling texture will become
like it's pre-eaten... the egg is the binder... if you have no starch
you may want to add a small bit of cooked white rice to the mixture.
But I'd question the Asian authenticity of that recipe when it calls
for whole egg.

Dimitri 29-03-2005 10:25 PM

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Dimitri wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help
bind
together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour
would
be
too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?

snip

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

Go here and see what you have.

Got any tapioca

Tapioca would probably take too long. I use it in sour cherry pies and it
takes
a good 45 minutes even after partial cooking. Those little dumplings take
just
a few minutes.

If the answer was yes she could have made tapioca flour.

Dimitri

http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarc...pioca%20starch

tapioca starch = tapioca flour = cassava flour = yucca starch = almidon de
yuca Notes: Tapioca is a good choice for thickening pie fillings, since it
thickens at a lower temperature than cornstarch, remains stable when frozen,
and imparts a glossy sheen. Many pie recipes call for instant tapioca
instead of tapioca starch, but instant tapioca doesn't dissolve completely
and leaves small gelatinous blobs suspended in the liquid. This isn't a
problem in a two-crust pies, but the blobs are more noticeable in
single-crust pies. Tapioca starch is finely ground so that it dissolves
completely, eliminating the gelatinous blob problem. The starch is also
sometimes used to thicken soups, stews, and sauces, but the glossy finish
looks a bit unnatural in these kinds of dishes. It works quickly, though,
so it's a good choice if you want to correct a sauce just before serving it.
Some recipes for baked goods also call for tapioca flour because it imparts
a chewier texture. Substitutes: instant tapioca (Also good for thickening
pie fillings. If you like, pulverize the beads in a blender before using.)
OR Instant ClearJelŽ OR sweet rice flour (also remains stable when frozen)
OR cornstarch (doesn't dissolve as easily, separates if frozen) OR arrowroot
(separates if frozen) OR potato starch (separates if frozen) OR rice starch
(separates if frozen) OR instant flour (use twice as much; sauce will be
opaque, not clear; separates if frozen)

Melba's Jammin' 29-03-2005 10:29 PM

In article , "jmcquown"
wrote:

I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help
bind together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think
flour would be too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any
suggestions?

Jill

I'd use flour -- that's not a lot in your recipe. JMO.
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

No One 29-03-2005 11:08 PM

Use potato starch or white rice flour. or 1/2 and 1/2 of each. Either or
in combination will do what you are looking for. Half of each mixed is also
a great thickner that approximates gluten wheat flour in behavior.

Joe, A Celiac who uses such all the time

jmcquown 30-03-2005 01:26 AM

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I got the recipe when we lived in Bangkok. Have you never heard of whole
egg stirred into fried rice? I think I'll just add a tiny bit of flour as
Barb suggested.

Jill

jmcquown 30-03-2005 01:27 AM

"Dimitri" wrote in message
om...

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help

bind
together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour would
be
too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?

snip

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

Go here and see what you have.

Got any tapioca

Nope, no tapioca.

Jill

Monsur Fromage du Pollet 30-03-2005 01:45 AM

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

"Sheldon" wrote in message
oups.com...

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Or make rice flour with the wand blender?

Arri London 30-03-2005 02:13 AM

jmcquown wrote:

I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help bind
together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour would be
too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?

Wheat flour won't be too glutinous if you mix the ingredients lightly.
Otherwise use rice flour or tapioca flour or potato flour.

But since the filling is going into wrappers it probably would survive
just fine without the starchy binder.