Tamara Lim

Default Restaurant Websites

I am designing a website for a local restaurant in Edmonton, Alberta. I am
wondering if any of you have come across any exciting restaurant websites,
if so, what was it that caught your eye? What do you look for when you surf
for a restaurant online?

Steph G.B

"Tamara Lim" > a écrit

> if so, what was it that caught your eye? What do you =look for when you

surf
> for a restaurant online?

i often travel to other cities in québec to see junior hockey games and go
to good restaurants... and often, in preparation for those little trips, i
surf websites online for those restaurants. I also frequent chats and ask
the locals.

The best sites i've seen are simple, with very good pictures, directions and
history. If the restaurant has a rich and old tradition, it's important to
put the emphasis on it on the site.

It's hard to explain, but here's the one i thought was the best one i've
been to: http://www.aubergedumangegrenouille.qc.ca/

it's in "Le Bic", which is right outside of Rimouski Québec, and i've only
been there once, but it is simply perfect in terms of what people look for.

The website is in french, but i'm sure you can get around.

Lynn Gifford

"Tamara Lim" > wrote in message news:<J20ac.43735$R27.6312@pd7tw2no>...
> I am designing a website for a local restaurant in Edmonton, Alberta. I am
> wondering if any of you have come across any exciting restaurant websites,
> if so, what was it that caught your eye? What do you look for when you surf
> for a restaurant online?

==================================
Full menus with descriptions
Photos of food
Printable coupons/discounts

Lynn from Fargo
Jack Schidt®

"Tamara Lim" > wrote in message
> I am designing a website for a local restaurant in Edmonton, Alberta. I am
> wondering if any of you have come across any exciting restaurant websites,
> if so, what was it that caught your eye? What do you look for when you

surf
> for a restaurant online?

I look for an online [food] menu, first and foremost, with some brief
descriptions of each item. That way I can get the feel for what the
restaurant is all about. Some pictures of the dining area are helpful too,
but not nearly as important to me. A wine/beer list would be handy too, so
I'm not jonesing for some local microbrew and find out it's all bud light,
zima and (ugh) corona. Last but not least, I like to see directions AND a
map.

Jack Patron

Peter Aitken

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message

> "Tamara Lim" > wrote in message
> > I am designing a website for a local restaurant in Edmonton, Alberta. I

am
> > wondering if any of you have come across any exciting restaurant

websites,
> > if so, what was it that caught your eye? What do you look for when you

> surf
> > for a restaurant online?
> >

> I look for an online [food] menu, first and foremost, with some brief
> descriptions of each item. That way I can get the feel for what the
> restaurant is all about. Some pictures of the dining area are helpful

too,
> but not nearly as important to me. A wine/beer list would be handy too,

so
> I'm not jonesing for some local microbrew and find out it's all bud light,
> zima and (ugh) corona. Last but not least, I like to see directions AND a
> map.
>
> Jack Patron

How about a large notice to the effect that noisy kids, smoking, and cell
phones are NOT PERMITTED!!!!

--
Peter Aitken

Jack Schidt®

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Tamara Lim" > wrote in message
> > > I am designing a website for a local restaurant in Edmonton, Alberta.

> am
> > > wondering if any of you have come across any exciting restaurant

> websites,
> > > if so, what was it that caught your eye? What do you look for when you

> > surf
> > > for a restaurant online?
> > >

> > I look for an online [food] menu, first and foremost, with some brief
> > descriptions of each item. That way I can get the feel for what the
> > restaurant is all about. Some pictures of the dining area are helpful

> too,
> > but not nearly as important to me. A wine/beer list would be handy too,

> so
> > I'm not jonesing for some local microbrew and find out it's all bud

light,
> > zima and (ugh) corona. Last but not least, I like to see directions AND

> > map.
> >
> > Jack Patron
> >

> How about a large notice to the effect that noisy kids, smoking, and cell
> phones are NOT PERMITTED!!!!

Noisy kids are fun, because you can traumatize them with tales of ghosts and
snakes under their beds, even tell them that they're butt ugly and will
never be loved.

Smoking...well, that's pretty much a given that there's no smoking in
restaurants. Cell phones...hmmm. Amtrak has recently made one car on each
Acela train a 'quiet' car, where cell phones are verboten. Might catch on
in other places too.

Jack Dinerama

Melba's Jammin'

In article <J20ac.43735$R27.6312@pd7tw2no>, "Tamara Lim"
> wrote:

> I am designing a website for a local restaurant in Edmonton, Alberta.
> I am wondering if any of you have come across any exciting restaurant
> websites, if so, what was it that caught your eye? What do you look
> for when you surf for a restaurant online?

Simplicity. Give me the basics -- a look at the menu would be nice.
Address and phone number; whether or not reservations are desired,
mandatory, or even accepted. :-) Nothing too complicated -- I'm still
on a dialup account and don't like stuff that's too flashy and takes
long to load JMO.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-29-04.
sf

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:20:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> In article <J20ac.43735$R27.6312@pd7tw2no>, "Tamara Lim"
> > wrote:
>
> > I am designing a website for a local restaurant in Edmonton, Alberta.
> > I am wondering if any of you have come across any exciting restaurant
> > websites, if so, what was it that caught your eye? What do you look
> > for when you surf for a restaurant online?

> Simplicity. Give me the basics -- a look at the menu would be nice.
> Address and phone number; whether or not reservations are desired,
> mandatory, or even accepted.

I want to see an up to date menu with up to date prices. If
the menu changes daily, that shouldn't be too hard manage,
because it's probably written on a computer and published
from one too.

> :-) Nothing too complicated -- I'm still
> on a dialup account and don't like stuff that's too flashy and takes
> long to load JMO.

A properly designed website shouldn't take forever on
dialup! Of course, what's considered quick depends on what
your idea of quick is. If you're used to a T1+ connection,
anything slower is pure torture.

I'm not spoiled at work. I don't know what kind of
connection I have, but the number is 100. 100 "whats", I
don't recall. I can only say - it's not sooo much quicker
than my dial-up that I care one way or the other.

Cindy hamilton

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message m>...

> Smoking...well, that's pretty much a given that there's no smoking in
> restaurants. Cell phones...hmmm. Amtrak has recently made one car on each
> Acela train a 'quiet' car, where cell phones are verboten. Might catch on
> in other places too.

Sorry to followup like two weeks later, but...

You must live in Heaven, Jack. Here in Michigan we've got a powerful
tourism lobby that keeps buying off the legislature every time anybody
talks about forbidding smoking in restaurants. They've even got a
state law that says local jurisdictions can't forbid smoking in
restaurants.

On the plus side, several Ann Arbor restaurateurs and bar owners
have voluntarily made their establishments non-smoking. I
preferentially give them my business.

Cindy Hamilton
Jack Schidt®

"Cindy hamilton" > wrote in message
om...
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message

m>...

> > Smoking...well, that's pretty much a given that there's no smoking in
> > restaurants. Cell phones...hmmm. Amtrak has recently made one car on

each
> > Acela train a 'quiet' car, where cell phones are verboten. Might catch

on
> > in other places too.

> Sorry to followup like two weeks later, but...
>
> You must live in Heaven, Jack. Here in Michigan we've got a powerful
> tourism lobby that keeps buying off the legislature every time anybody
> talks about forbidding smoking in restaurants. They've even got a
> state law that says local jurisdictions can't forbid smoking in
> restaurants.
>
> On the plus side, several Ann Arbor restaurateurs and bar owners
> have voluntarily made their establishments non-smoking. I
> preferentially give them my business.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I prefer non smoking restaurants, but barrooms are smoky places where people
drink, sometimes excessively. If you don't like that, don't go in there.
Stop legislating my life into a coma....

Jack Angst

Nancy Young

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

> I prefer non smoking restaurants, but barrooms are smoky places where people
> drink, sometimes excessively. If you don't like that, don't go in there.
> Stop legislating my life into a coma....

I eat in bars pretty often, used to be all the time ... smokers only
bothered me a couple of times. Even though they were ridiculously
rude, those two people, I wouldn't think to ask them to not smoke.
I'm in a BAR. I know people disagree, but I really feel that if you
hang out in a bar, be prepared for drinking and smoking.

I'm not wild about going out with the crowd on Friday night and
coming home reeking of smoke. But ... I wasn't in a daycare center,
I was in a bar.

nancy
PENMART01

>Dog3 wrote:
>
>"Jack Schidt®" wrote:

>>> Sorry to followup like two weeks later, but...
>>>
>>> You must live in Heaven, Jack. Here in Michigan we've got a powerful
>>> tourism lobby that keeps buying off the legislature every time
>>> anybody talks about forbidding smoking in restaurants. They've even
>>> got a state law that says local jurisdictions can't forbid smoking in
>>> restaurants.

>> I prefer non smoking restaurants, but barrooms are smoky places where
>> people drink, sometimes excessively. If you don't like that, don't go
>> in there. Stop legislating my life into a coma....
>>
>> Jack Angst

>I agree. I sill smoke and am trying to kick it.

Then you'll need to exert a bit more effort than typing the words on your
keyboard. Just STOP, now, not later, RIGHT NOW... there really is no other
way... but of course any honest smoker knows that. If you think agonizing over
your next smoke is difficult then you haven't a clue about difficulty until you
agonize over your every breath. Tobacco is not your friend. If you don't stop
right now then you are a far greater asshole than even I can describe... hey,
if you have an oral fixation suck tubesteak.

Really, STOP!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

kilikini

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "Jack Schidt®" > seeing her/his name in stars wrote
> :
>

> > "Cindy hamilton" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message

> > m>...

> > each

> > on
> >>
> >> Sorry to followup like two weeks later, but...
> >>
> >> You must live in Heaven, Jack. Here in Michigan we've got a powerful
> >> tourism lobby that keeps buying off the legislature every time
> >> anybody talks about forbidding smoking in restaurants. They've even
> >> got a state law that says local jurisdictions can't forbid smoking in
> >> restaurants.
> >>
> >> On the plus side, several Ann Arbor restaurateurs and bar owners
> >> have voluntarily made their establishments non-smoking. I
> >> preferentially give them my business.
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton

> > I prefer non smoking restaurants, but barrooms are smoky places where
> > people drink, sometimes excessively. If you don't like that, don't go
> > in there. Stop legislating my life into a coma....
> >
> > Jack Angst

> I agree. I sill smoke and am trying to kick it. I also prefer non

smoking
> restaurants. I'll just go outdoors if I feel like lighting up. The bars
> are another issue. If I can't drink, smoke and be merry the bar owner is
> going to suffer. I throw happy hours at my house instead.
>
> Michael
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Michael, don't come to Hawaii! A law was recently passed that you may not
smoke in any public place that serves food. So, if you're just a bar with
no food, fine. If you even serve sandwiches, there is no smoking allowed.

kili

Nancy Young

kilikini wrote:

> Michael, don't come to Hawaii! A law was recently passed that you may not
> smoke in any public place that serves food. So, if you're just a bar with
> no food, fine. If you even serve sandwiches, there is no smoking allowed.

I think I like the laws in my previous state better ... if you serve
alcohol, you must offer food.

nancy
kilikini

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "kilikini" > seeing her/his name in stars
> wrote :
>

> > Michael, don't come to Hawaii! A law was recently passed that you may
> > not smoke in any public place that serves food. So, if you're just a
> > bar with no food, fine. If you even serve sandwiches, there is no
> > smoking allowed.
> >
> > kili

> I wonder how many bars are hurting over there and I wonder how many have
> stopped serving food. From what I understand, liquor is the main profit
> maker in that type of industry.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Actually, if your liquor license in Maui County says that you serve food,
you *have* to serve food. There are a few different licenses here (it
varies from county to county) but here in Maui County, I believe there are
only 11 liquor licenses available on island for those who *only* serve
alcohol. There are more licenses available for establishments that serve
both food and alcohol. I think there are about 15 cabaret licenses and only
about 15 liquor licenses for commercial boats. It's really rigid here.
Our liquor commission has more control over the law than the police do. To
work in any establishment that serves alcohol, you must study for and pass
the lengthy liquor test to get your manager's card. This is a requirement
for waitresses, bussers, hostesses and bartenders. If you, as a manager's
card holder gets more than three strikes against your card in your lifetime,
you will never be allowed to work in a bar or restaurant in Maui County
again for life. I've already got one strike because a patron got a DUI and
it was traced to my shift. The bar was fined $2000 and got one strike
against their permanent liquor license and I got one strike against my
manager's card. That's why I refuse to go back to bartending. Way, way too
stressful here. Liquor commission just pops in on your shift, sits down,
and studies the patrons to trap you. Meanwhile, you, as the server, get
stressed out.

kili

sf

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:18:01 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

> I prefer non smoking restaurants, but barrooms are smoky places where people
> drink, sometimes excessively. If you don't like that, don't go in there.
> Stop legislating my life into a coma....
>
> Jack Angst

<sob> Put away the tiny violin and resolve not to be a
slave of the tobacco industry.

Thankfully, bars in my city/area are non smoking, yet they
still do a bang up business. Lack of the "freedom to smoke"
doesn't stop anyone.

The worst experience of my life was being stuck on a fully
booked airplane in the last row of the non-smoking section
with two men in the row behind me smoking cigars. I left
the airplane sick (barfing sick and a migraine). I stayed
sick for over 24 hours due to smoke inhalation.

Nancy Young

sf wrote:

> The worst experience of my life was being stuck on a fully
> booked airplane in the last row of the non-smoking section
> with two men in the row behind me smoking cigars.

That's just friggin ridiculous of them. What jerks.

nancy
sf

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 01:23:42 -0000, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> I have no other choice but to stop. I've tried everything. Patches, drugs,
> you name it. I started again out of boredom and I could just kick myself
> in the ass.

At least you stopped for a while. Maybe the next time, it
will be longer. If idle hands are the problem, you need a
hobby - obviously, time at the computer doesn't do it for
you.

How about volunteering to fight forest fires? That way you
can inhale smoke and keep your hands busy at the same time.

<ducking and running>

BOB

Dog3 wrote:
>> Really, STOP!

> I have no other choice but to stop. I've tried everything. Patches, drugs,
> you name it. I started again out of boredom and I could just kick myself
> in the ass.
>
> Michael

I *had* a friend who used to say that he had absolutely no problem quitting
smoking...he had done it several dozen times. Couldn't understand why everyone
else has such a hard time quitting.

About a year ago, he finally quit for good when the cancer took his life. If
you start again, you really never stopped, just took a vacation.

BOB

mangodance

Default smoking bans- WAS: Restaurant Websites

Dog3 wrote:
> I have no other choice but to stop. I've tried everything. Patches, drugs,
> you name it. I started again out of boredom and I could just kick myself
> in the ass.

I "quit" several times like most folks...halfheartedly and returned to
it each time. It was only when I wasn't lying to myself and actually
decided to quit that I did. I then saw that many so-called friends
would entice me by waving around cigarettes, especially during the most
needy moments, i.e. drinking, after meals, etc. They gave me all the
anger I needed to quit. Anger can be a good motivator. I even carried
around an unlit cigarette in my hand for several months. These
"friends" tried often to help me light it. This was a good many years
ago.

The smoking ban issue seems odd to me. The restaurant/bar industries
campaign against them, but they're really marginalizing the majority of
the population to cater to the minority. I haven't gone to bars for
years because of having to detox for several weeks thereafter. I used
to relish live music, but the only venues for much of it here, are
smoking venues. Thus, I also don't go see live music much any more.

But the doom-and-gloom spread by the "service" industry doesn't seem to
hold water. I've been to Baltimore and the restaurants seem to be in
business each time I go. Other places have bans and somehow the service
industry survives. Somehow hacking up phlegm for 5-6 days after a night
on the town seems to mar an otherwise pleasant evening. But, to each
his own. Not sure about the places where others live, but in my area in
a VERY smoking-friendly state, the "service" industry is suffering.

Pan Ohco

>> I have no other choice but to stop. I've tried everything. Patches, drugs,
>> you name it. I started again out of boredom and I could just kick myself
>> in the ass.

Well trying again. : )
I just hit five years on this try.

But second hand smoke still smells good to me.
Pan Ohco
sf

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:46:07 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > The worst experience of my life was being stuck on a fully
> > booked airplane in the last row of the non-smoking section
> > with two men in the row behind me smoking cigars.

> That's just friggin ridiculous of them. What jerks.

They were in the "smoking section", I wasn't and that was
the thinking in those days. Thank goodness times have
changed!

kilikini

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "kilikini" > seeing her/his name in stars
> wrote :
>

> > "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> > 4...

> >> I wonder how many bars are hurting over there and I wonder how many
> >> have stopped serving food. From what I understand, liquor is the
> >> main profit maker in that type of industry.
> >>
> >> Michael
> >>
> >> --
> >> Deathbed statement...
> >>
> >> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> >> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

> > Actually, if your liquor license in Maui County says that you serve
> > food, you *have* to serve food. There are a few different licenses
> > here (it varies from county to county) but here in Maui County, I
> > believe there are only 11 liquor licenses available on island for
> > those who *only* serve alcohol. There are more licenses available for
> > establishments that serve both food and alcohol. I think there are
> > about 15 cabaret licenses and only about 15 liquor licenses for
> > commercial boats. It's really rigid here. Our liquor commission has
> > more control over the law than the police do. To work in any
> > establishment that serves alcohol, you must study for and pass the
> > lengthy liquor test to get your manager's card. This is a requirement
> > for waitresses, bussers, hostesses and bartenders. If you, as a
> > manager's card holder gets more than three strikes against your card
> > in your lifetime, you will never be allowed to work in a bar or
> > restaurant in Maui County again for life. I've already got one strike
> > because a patron got a DUI and it was traced to my shift. The bar was
> > fined $2000 and got one strike against their permanent liquor license
> > and I got one strike against my manager's card. That's why I refuse
> > to go back to bartending. Way, way too stressful here. Liquor
> > commission just pops in on your shift, sits down, and studies the
> > patrons to trap you. Meanwhile, you, as the server, get stressed out.
> >
> > kili

> Woo Hoo! RFC has a bartender. Bloody marys for the entire newsgroup kili.
> And make it snappy
>
> Michael <- get to be the cocktail waiter in tight shorts and t-shirt
>
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

Oh and Michael? I do make a mean one. Do you like it hot? He he he...

kili

kilikini

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
> "kilikini" > seeing her/his name in stars
> wrote :
>

> > Oh and Michael? I do make a mean one. Do you like it hot? He he
> > he...
> >
> > kili

> Yes I like 'em hot. Lots of horseradish, Worcestershire Sauce, and I like

> few nice jumbo olives (stuffed with onion or anchovy) mixed in. Yummmm...
>
> Michael
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

No pickle or celery stalk? Come on!

kili