Damsel in dis Dress

Default Coconut Cake

Can you put coconut into cake batter and expect it to be evenly distributed
when it comes out of the oven? I don't want to try this and find all the
coconut at either the top or bottom of the pan.

Thanks!
Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Dave Smith

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Can you put coconut into cake batter and expect it to be evenly distributed
> when it comes out of the oven? I don't want to try this and find all the
> coconut at either the top or bottom of the pan.

I have never tried it, but I have used sauerkraut in a chocolate cake. It ends
up surprisingly like coconut.

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote in
:

> Can you put coconut into cake batter and expect it to be evenly
> distributed when it comes out of the oven? I don't want to try this
> and find all the coconut at either the top or bottom of the pan.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

I believe yes (never done it myself); My dear old mom used to do a
shredded coconut inside the cake 9 X13 pan cake.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban
Damsel in dis Dress

Dave Smith >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Can you put coconut into cake batter and expect it to be evenly distributed
>> when it comes out of the oven? I don't want to try this and find all the
>> coconut at either the top or bottom of the pan.

>I have never tried it, but I have used sauerkraut in a chocolate cake. It ends
>up surprisingly like coconut.

I'd love to try that one, but I'm scared that Crash wouldn't like it, even
if I didn't tell him. I honestly hate eating all of the cake.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Dave Smith

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> >I have never tried it, but I have used sauerkraut in a chocolate cake. It ends
> >up surprisingly like coconut.

> I'd love to try that one, but I'm scared that Crash wouldn't like it, even
> if I didn't tell him. I honestly hate eating all of the cake.

He doesn't like kraut? He would never know what it was. I was sceptical when a
friend told us about the cake. After tasting her cake I got the recipe and it
myself, but danged if I can find the recipe now. Let's just say that it tastes like
a chocolate cake and it has bits of stuff in it that have a texture and taste like
coconut. It very good.

Damsel in dis Dress

Monsur Fromage du Pollet >, if that's their real name,

:

>> Can you put coconut into cake batter and expect it to be evenly
>> distributed when it comes out of the oven? I don't want to try this
>> and find all the coconut at either the top or bottom of the pan.

>I believe yes (never done it myself); My dear old mom used to do a
>shredded coconut inside the cake 9 X13 pan cake.

Thanks, kiddo.
Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Marcella Peek

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> Can you put coconut into cake batter and expect it to be evenly distributed
> when it comes out of the oven? I don't want to try this and find all the
> coconut at either the top or bottom of the pan.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol

That's what I do. I mix the batter and at the end mix in the coconut.
It bakes up just fine.

So, is it coconut instead of lemon now?

marcella
only gotta do hors d'oeuvres for tomorrow, getting off easy
Damsel in dis Dress

Marcella Peek >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> Can you put coconut into cake batter and expect it to be evenly distributed
>> when it comes out of the oven? I don't want to try this and find all the
>> coconut at either the top or bottom of the pan.

>That's what I do. I mix the batter and at the end mix in the coconut.
>It bakes up just fine.
>
>So, is it coconut instead of lemon now?

I keep looking at that bag of coconut. I have to have a conference with
Crash and see if he'd like coconut cake or the chocolate-cherry stuff. At
this point, I'll just follow orders.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Damsel in dis Dress

Dave Smith >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> >I have never tried it, but I have used sauerkraut in a chocolate cake. It ends
>> >up surprisingly like coconut.

>> I'd love to try that one, but I'm scared that Crash wouldn't like it, even
>> if I didn't tell him. I honestly hate eating all of the cake.

>He doesn't like kraut? He would never know what it was. I was sceptical when a
>friend told us about the cake. After tasting her cake I got the recipe and it
>myself, but danged if I can find the recipe now. Let's just say that it tastes like
>a chocolate cake and it has bits of stuff in it that have a texture and taste like
>coconut. It very good.

He can't stand even the smell of kraut. I've told him about the chocolate
kraut cake before, and you should have seen the look on his face. Is the
kraut rinsed?

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Dave Smith

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> He can't stand even the smell of kraut. I've told him about the chocolate
> kraut cake before, and you should have seen the look on his face. Is the
> kraut rinsed?

Yes, it is rinsed, but one recipe I found on the net said not o give in to the
temptation to squeeze it out.
It's really, really good cake :-)

Nexis

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> Can you put coconut into cake batter and expect it to be evenly

distributed
> when it comes out of the oven? I don't want to try this and find all the
> coconut at either the top or bottom of the pan.
>
> Thanks!
> Carol
>
> --
> Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Carol (Dams),

The trick is to get it evenly distributed before baking. Then it will stay
that way. I usually mix it with the dry ingredients, because it seems to
help separate the coconut, making it easier to mix in.
HTH,
kimberly

Damsel in dis Dress

"Nexis" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>The trick is to get it evenly distributed before baking. Then it will stay
>that way. I usually mix it with the dry ingredients, because it seems to
>help separate the coconut, making it easier to mix in.

Thanks, Kimberly. I probably wouldn't have thought to do it that way. I
had a conference with Crash, and this is the cake he wants for tomorrow
night's dinner.

Carol

--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
Curly Sue

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:55:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> He can't stand even the smell of kraut. I've told him about the chocolate
>> kraut cake before, and you should have seen the look on his face. Is the
>> kraut rinsed?

>Yes, it is rinsed, but one recipe I found on the net said not o give in to the
>temptation to squeeze it out.
>It's really, really good cake :-)

OK, so post it!!!

Sue(tm)
Ginny Sher

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:55:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> He can't stand even the smell of kraut. I've told him about the chocolate
>> kraut cake before, and you should have seen the look on his face. Is the
>> kraut rinsed?

>Yes, it is rinsed, but one recipe I found on the net said not o give in to the
>temptation to squeeze it out.
>It's really, really good cake :-)

or... I have a chocolate cake recipe that calls for BEETS as the
secret ingredient. It makes sense, because the beets add sweetness.

Ginny
carbuff

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 17:55:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>> He can't stand even the smell of kraut. I've told him about the
>>> chocolate
>>> kraut cake before, and you should have seen the look on his face. Is
>>> the
>>> kraut rinsed?

>>Yes, it is rinsed, but one recipe I found on the net said not o give in to
>>the
>>temptation to squeeze it out.
>>It's really, really good cake :-)
>>

> or... I have a chocolate cake recipe that calls for BEETS as the
> secret ingredient. It makes sense, because the beets add sweetness.
>
> Ginny

Could you please post this recipe? I love beets, and plan to have lots in
my new garden this year. TIA

Ginny Sher

>> or... I have a chocolate cake recipe that calls for BEETS as the
>> secret ingredient. It makes sense, because the beets add sweetness.
>>
>> Ginny

>Could you please post this recipe? I love beets, and plan to have lots in
>my new garden this year. TIA

Here is the Chocolate Cake from "The Dessert Lover's Cookbook"

CAKE
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 can (8 1/4 oz) julienne beets
1/4 lb unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 1/2 cups firmly packed golden brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk

FUDGE FROSTING
2 cups whipping cream
1 lb semi sweet (I use bittersweet) chocolate, chopped
2 tsp vanilla

BAKING PAN
two 9 x 1 1/2 inch or 9x2" round layer-cake pans

CAKE
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease pans. Dust with flour and shake out
excess. Melt chocolate (I use microwave) in dbl boiler over hot water.
Set aside to cool slightly. Drain beet juice into small bowl. Chop
beets into very small pieces. Add to beet juice and set aside.

Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in lg bowl with an electric mixer
on high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes, scraping down sides
occasionally. Reduce speed to low and beat in melted chocolate.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt in a medium size bowl. On
low speed, alternately beat flour in fourths and buttermilk in thirds
into chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Mix until
incorporated, about 1 minute. Add beets and juice and mix on medium
speed until blended, about 1 minute. The batter will be thin and you
will see pieces of beets.

Divide the batter equally between 2 pans. Bake in the oven for 30 to
35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean and
top of cake springs back when lightly pressed with fingertips. Do not
overbake or cake will be dry. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10
minutes and then invert onto racks.

FROSTING
Heat cream in medium size pan just until it comes to a boil. Remove
from heat and add chocolate and vanilla, stirring until mixture is
smooth and chocolate is melted. Transfer mixture to a plastic or
glass bowl. Refrigerate, stirring every 10 minutes until mixture is as
thick as pudding, about 50-60 minutes. At this point, frosting will
begin to set up quickly. Leave in ref and stir every 5 minutes until
frosting is as thick as fudge, about 15 more min. Alternatively, the
frosting may be placed over ice water and stirred constantly until
spreading consistency. If it begins to become too thick, remove from
water.

To assemble cake, place one layer top side down on serving platter.
Spread one third of frosting and top with second layer of cake, bottom
side up. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides. Let stand at
room temperature for frosting to set.

Serves 10-12

Author's notes: One Easter, I brought this cake to Julia Child's for
lunch. Neither she nor our dear friend and excellent cook, Rosemary
Manell, could guess the mystery ingredient--beets. They turn the cake
a beautiful deep dark-- almost black-- color and add a moistness and
depth of flavor. When you think of beet sugar and the use of beet
coloring in dyes, this uncommon ingredient seems less unusual. The
frosting is pure fudge. The cake is truly out of this world.

Enjoy, Ginny

Dave Smith

Curly Sue wrote:

> >Yes, it is rinsed, but one recipe I found on the net said not o give in to the
> >temptation to squeeze it out.
> >It's really, really good cake :-)

> OK, so post it!!!

Unfortunately, I lost the recipe (don't eat many cakes), but found one that looks
just like it with Google. Normally I would suggest that people Google things
themselves, but since I teased you with the chocolate sauerkraut.... here is what I
found:

http://cocoajava.com/cocoa_recipe_sauerkrautcake.html

Damsel in dis Dress

"Nexis" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>The trick is to get it evenly distributed before baking. Then it will stay
>that way. I usually mix it with the dry ingredients, because it seems to
>help separate the coconut, making it easier to mix in.

Hi Kimberly. The cake turned out great. The coconut was perfectly
distributed throughout the cake. It's kinda like eating a macaroon cake.

I roasted the ham today. It tastes good, but it's very salty. Crash is
sick to his stomach today, so I'm the only one eating the ham for now.
Hopefully, he'll feel better later tonight or tomorrow. Tomorrow, I start
making soup. <G>

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon
sf

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> "Nexis" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>
> >The trick is to get it evenly distributed before baking. Then it

will stay
> >that way. I usually mix it with the dry ingredients, because it

seems to
> >help separate the coconut, making it easier to mix in.

> Hi Kimberly. The cake turned out great. The coconut was perfectly
> distributed throughout the cake. It's kinda like eating a macaroon

cake.

So, are you going to share the final recipe with us???

sf

Damsel in dis Dress

"sf" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> "Nexis" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>>
>> >The trick is to get it evenly distributed before baking. Then it

>will stay
>> >that way. I usually mix it with the dry ingredients, because it

>seems to
>> >help separate the coconut, making it easier to mix in.

>> Hi Kimberly. The cake turned out great. The coconut was perfectly
>> distributed throughout the cake. It's kinda like eating a macaroon

>cake.
>>

>So, are you going to share the final recipe with us???

I just threw a couple handfuls (maybe 1 cup?) of coconut into the dry mix
and mixed it as usual, with all the usual added ingredients. Now I wish I
had used a dense white cake recipe instead of the fluffy Duncan Hines white
cake mix.

I never did frost it, once I found out that Crash wasn't going to eat any
of it. I've got to just stop making desserts. Crash supports my making
them, but his intention all along is that the dessert is for me.

The cake was okay, but I wouldn't make it again. It was a curiosity, and
I've satisfied it. If I *were* to make a similar cake again, I'd add some
coconut flavoring to the cake batter. The only thing the coconut added was
texture.

Carol
--
Coming at you live, from beautiful Lake Woebegon

Jamies Coconut Cake lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 15-03-2007 03:16 AM
Coconut cake xim xim General Cooking 3 16-02-2006 04:32 PM
Coconut Cake Valerie Recipes (moderated) 0 07-02-2006 04:40 AM
Need Recipe for Coconut Cake - with Coconut *in* the Cake (not the Frosting or Filling) Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. General Cooking 17 11-04-2004 11:43 PM
Coconut Cake (4) Collection LuckyTrim Recipes (moderated) 0 05-02-2004 12:58 AM