Katra

Default Steam "boiled" eggs... It worked!!! :-)

Just steamed a batch of eggs for making deviled eggs.

As much as I like deviled eggs, I rarely make them because I normally
have to plan a few days ahead and leave eggs out at room temp for a few
days to age them, and even then they don't always peel that well! We
have fresh eggs from our own hens...

It was posted a bit ago here, and also on one of the poultry lists, that
steaming eggs took care of the problem.

I took 18 fresh eggs, no more than a day or three old and refrigerated
and put them into a screen colander in my pasta pot, and covered them.
Put an inch or so of water in the bottom of the pot (not touching the
eggs) and brought it up to a boil, then timed it for 10 minutes before
turning off the heat. I left the pot on the stove for about another 10
minutes then filled the pot with cold water.

I took the eggs one by one and cracked them all over with the back of a
spoon and tossed them back into the cold water.

Started peeling once all were cracked and the shells slipped off like a
dream! :-) Absolutely perfect! And peeling all of them took no time at
all..... The eggs are even still warm!

Many thanks to the folks that recommended steaming them!!!!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Fudge

I got the same problem. I just rushed over to the wood stove and put some
logs into the firebox. I'm gonna give it a try using my super duper Chinese
steamer. Now, this is how I make my devilled eggs. Mash yolks with
mayonnaise, finely minced onion, curry powder to taste and a little Tobassco
and salt. I hope you are right.

Thanks
Farmer John

"Katra" > wrote in message
> Just steamed a batch of eggs for making deviled eggs.
>
> As much as I like deviled eggs, I rarely make them because I normally
> have to plan a few days ahead and leave eggs out at room temp for a few
> days to age them, and even then they don't always peel that well! We
> have fresh eggs from our own hens...
>
> It was posted a bit ago here, and also on one of the poultry lists, that
> steaming eggs took care of the problem.
>
> I took 18 fresh eggs, no more than a day or three old and refrigerated
> and put them into a screen colander in my pasta pot, and covered them.
> Put an inch or so of water in the bottom of the pot (not touching the
> eggs) and brought it up to a boil, then timed it for 10 minutes before
> turning off the heat. I left the pot on the stove for about another 10
> minutes then filled the pot with cold water.
>
> I took the eggs one by one and cracked them all over with the back of a
> spoon and tossed them back into the cold water.
>
> Started peeling once all were cracked and the shells slipped off like a
> dream! :-) Absolutely perfect! And peeling all of them took no time at
> all..... The eggs are even still warm!
>
> Many thanks to the folks that recommended steaming them!!!!
>
> --
> K.
>
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train

the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

ok, I was looking for the timing - thanx for the tested steaming method
recipe

I'll remember it as 10 -10-10

- 10 in steam, 10 resting in cooker, and 10 in water

"Katra" > wrote in message
> Just steamed a batch of eggs for making deviled eggs.
>
> As much as I like deviled eggs, I rarely make them because I normally
> have to plan a few days ahead and leave eggs out at room temp for a few
> days to age them, and even then they don't always peel that well! We
> have fresh eggs from our own hens...
>
> It was posted a bit ago here, and also on one of the poultry lists, that
> steaming eggs took care of the problem.
>
> I took 18 fresh eggs, no more than a day or three old and refrigerated
> and put them into a screen colander in my pasta pot, and covered them.
> Put an inch or so of water in the bottom of the pot (not touching the
> eggs) and brought it up to a boil, then timed it for 10 minutes before
> turning off the heat. I left the pot on the stove for about another 10
> minutes then filled the pot with cold water.
>
> I took the eggs one by one and cracked them all over with the back of a
> spoon and tossed them back into the cold water.
>
> Started peeling once all were cracked and the shells slipped off like a
> dream! :-) Absolutely perfect! And peeling all of them took no time at
> all..... The eggs are even still warm!
>
> Many thanks to the folks that recommended steaming them!!!!
>
> --
> K.
>
> Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
>
> There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train

the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

> >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

Katra

In article >,
"Fudge" > wrote:

> I got the same problem. I just rushed over to the wood stove and put some
> logs into the firebox. I'm gonna give it a try using my super duper Chinese
> steamer. Now, this is how I make my devilled eggs. Mash yolks with
> mayonnaise, finely minced onion, curry powder to taste and a little Tobassco
> and salt. I hope you are right.
>
> Thanks
> Farmer John

Welcome! :-)

Please report???

I used my pasta pot plus a screen collander/strainer to give me more
space between the eggs and the water.

My pasta pot has the big strainer insert and I use it all the time to
steam veggies, and sometimes fish or chicken when I want steamed/poached
meat.

I'm so eggcited about this as it's been an ongoing problem with fresh
eggs for me! My mom used to peel eggs with a spoon due to the trouble
with fresh eggs. It'll be nice to not have to plan way ahead and do the
room temp. "aging" thing.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
"--" > wrote:

> ok, I was looking for the timing - thanx for the tested steaming method
> recipe
>
> I'll remember it as 10 -10-10
>
> - 10 in steam, 10 resting in cooker, and 10 in water

Please report when you try it???
--
K.

Fudge

Shells didn't come off without some egg white attached. Will leave longer
in cold water next time. My eggs are super fresh, just out of the chickens
rear end about 2 hours before steaming.

F.J.

"--" > wrote in message
> ok, I was looking for the timing - thanx for the tested steaming method
> recipe
>
> I'll remember it as 10 -10-10
>
> - 10 in steam, 10 resting in cooker, and 10 in water
>
> "Katra" > wrote in message
> > Just steamed a batch of eggs for making deviled eggs.
> >
> > As much as I like deviled eggs, I rarely make them because I normally
> > have to plan a few days ahead and leave eggs out at room temp for a few
> > days to age them, and even then they don't always peel that well! We
> > have fresh eggs from our own hens...
> >
> > It was posted a bit ago here, and also on one of the poultry lists, that
> > steaming eggs took care of the problem.
> >
> > I took 18 fresh eggs, no more than a day or three old and refrigerated
> > and put them into a screen colander in my pasta pot, and covered them.
> > Put an inch or so of water in the bottom of the pot (not touching the
> > eggs) and brought it up to a boil, then timed it for 10 minutes before
> > turning off the heat. I left the pot on the stove for about another 10
> > minutes then filled the pot with cold water.
> >
> > I took the eggs one by one and cracked them all over with the back of a
> > spoon and tossed them back into the cold water.
> >
> > Started peeling once all were cracked and the shells slipped off like a
> > dream! :-) Absolutely perfect! And peeling all of them took no time at
> > all..... The eggs are even still warm!
> >
> > Many thanks to the folks that recommended steaming them!!!!
> >
> > --
> > K.
> >
> > Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...
> >
> > There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train

> the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada
> >
> > >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katraatcenturyteldotnet>,,<

pre boiled eggs Mocking Malicious Mike General Cooking 0 18-07-2009 09:36 PM
pre boiled eggs Mocking Malicious Mike General Cooking 0 18-07-2009 09:32 PM
Boiled eggs amandaF General Cooking 13 25-07-2008 10:05 PM
Boiled eggs? Kajikit General Cooking 28 03-12-2003 08:26 PM