General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Petey the Wonder Dog
 
Posts: n/a
Default Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?

Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?

I like to use them for sandwich wraps, and want to make my own varieties and flavors.
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
aem
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?
>
> I like to use them for sandwich wraps, and want to make my own
> varieties and flavors.


The tortilla presses I have seen have been for smaller taco-size corn
tortillas. The pat-pat method using two hands seems to be used for
even smaller corn tortillas. That leaves your rolling pin, I think,
for 12" flour tortillas. It's actually not difficult. If you're
thinking of large ones of corn, I'd suggest plastic wrap under and over
the masa and the rolling pin. -aem

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?


Go to Arizona and wait by the Mexican border, won't be long a tortilla
maker will come your way... choose one with huge breasts.

Sheldon

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Puester
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?
>
> I like to use them for sandwich wraps, and want to make my own varieties and flavors.



Yes, Mrs. Gonzalez, but I don't know if she makes home visits.

;-)
gloria p
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dee Randall
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Petey the Wonder Dog" > wrote in message
...
> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?
>
> I like to use them for sandwich wraps, and want to make my own varieties
> and flavors.


I've tried making tortillas using one of those gray metal thingies with a
handle to press the tortilla; used a heavy-iron skillet (like wagner) made
for tortillas and flat bread (about 12" across); and finally about a year
ago I bought a Rival electric tortilla maker at KingArthur. I've used my
own recipe, but mainly the one on the back of the tortilla masa flour 5#-10#
sack. I've never made a decent tortilla (nor chapata) yet. My husband and
I have both worked at this and have completely given up -- the same with
cooking dried beans to an accepted state. Now we hit the "Global Grocery"
and buy tortillas in stacks of 100 and freeze them, and Goya Beans in a can.

One thing I just discovered about heating ready-made tortillas recently.
I've tried all sorts of manner heating tortillas to my satisfaction; either
they are too dry, too wet & soggy, hard on the edges, etc. etc. This works
for me:
If you are using your electric skillet for your meal, wrap about eight-ten
6-8" tortillas in aluminum foil and place it on the dry part of the skillet.
You can do this while you are heating your skillet for other things. And it
will keep them just right while you are eating your meal, you can grab
another one, but the main thing is they are all soft, floppy and warmest.
They turn out so well that I will use the electric skillet to heat them this
way, whether or not I am heating the skillet for anything at all.
Dee




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12' tortillas?


Go he http://www.apellc.com/images/5524_FT.JPG

Sheldon

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dee Randall
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
>> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12' tortillas?

>
> Go he http://www.apellc.com/images/5524_FT.JPG
>
> Sheldon


Lordy, Sheldon, you gave me my belly-laugh for the day.
You said in another email
"haven't seen anything
like it up here in hillybillyburg."

You must be part hillbilly, too, with your since of humor about hillbillies?
Where is your hillybillburg, I forget.
Dee


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
kilikini
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?
>
> I like to use them for sandwich wraps, and want to make my own
> varieties and flavors.


What I don't get is a quesadilla maker. I mean, hello. How hard is it to
take a tortilla and add cheese to it on a hot skillet? I seriously don't
get it.

kili


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Dee Randall wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
> >> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12' tortillas?

> >
> > Go he http://www.apellc.com/images/5524_FT.JPG
> >
> > Sheldon

>
> Lordy, Sheldon, you gave me my belly-laugh for the day.
> You said in another email
> "haven't seen anything
> like it up here in hillybillyburg."
>
> You must be part hillbilly, too, with your since of humor about

hillbillies?
> Where is your hillybillburg, I forget.


Upstate Noo Yawk's Capitol District.... wouldja believe, the largest
stoopidmarket chain roundabouts, Price Chopper, doesn't sell barley...
store manager didn't even know what's barley.... hey, they got lottsa
folks up here wandering about free as all git out who are far more
brain dead than Terry Schiavo... if not for their feeding tube hooked
to a keg of Miller Lite...

Sheldon

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Monsur Fromage du Pollet
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"kilikini" > wrote in
:

> Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
> > Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?
> >
> > I like to use them for sandwich wraps, and want to make my own
> > varieties and flavors.

>
> What I don't get is a quesadilla maker. I mean, hello. How hard is
> it to take a tortilla and add cheese to it on a hot skillet? I
> seriously don't get it.
>
> kili
>
>
>


Hey! I got one so Shut-up!! I take it to work for quesadilla Fridays.
works fine also for grilled pocket sandwiches.

--
No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dimitri
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>
> Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
>> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?

>
> Go to Arizona and wait by the Mexican border, won't be long a tortilla
> maker will come your way... choose one with huge breasts.
>
> Sheldon


Some mornings you just slay me...

ROTFLMAO!

Dimitri


  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
kilikini
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Petey the Wonder Dog wrote:
>>> Can someone recommend a Tortilla Maker for 12" tortillas?
>>>
>>> I like to use them for sandwich wraps, and want to make my own
>>> varieties and flavors.

>>
>> What I don't get is a quesadilla maker. I mean, hello. How hard is
>> it to take a tortilla and add cheese to it on a hot skillet? I
>> seriously don't get it.
>>
>> kili
>>
>>
>>

>
> Hey! I got one so Shut-up!! I take it to work for quesadilla Fridays.
> works fine also for grilled pocket sandwiches.


Well, okay, if you don't have any other way to heat up a tortilla. I
heartily apologize, sir.

kili


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tortillas de Harina = Flour Tortillas Rolly Mexican Cooking 5 11-04-2005 03:32 PM
Commercial grade Tortilla Maker / Flat Bread Press SS Cooking Equipment 2 12-07-2004 03:28 PM
Tortilla Soup with Crisp Tortillas and Avocado Relish Patricia Hill Recipes (moderated) 0 24-04-2004 02:24 PM
Tortilla Soup with Crisp Tortillas and Avocado Relish Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 04-04-2004 12:28 AM
please recommend a coffee maker ella Coffee 2 23-02-2004 06:51 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"