FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cioppino Simmering Sauce from Trader Joe's (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/57176-cioppino-simmering-sauce-trader.html)

Melba's Jammin' 24-03-2005 06:20 PM

Cioppino Simmering Sauce from Trader Joe's

That was part of my haul and I'm thinking of making it up for tomorrow's
supper - Niece Patty may join us, may not.

Do I have to put mussels in it? I could but don't want to spend the
money.

Can I put some tilapia in it (I bought a bunch at Sam's and froze
parcels)?

I'm At the moment I'm thinking shrimps, scallops (frozen and on sale
at Cub this week), and the e tilapia. Is that enough?

The sauce looks thickish -- can I thin it
with some red wine (Three Buck Chuck Cabernet) or tomato juice or
turkey broth? I might have a light riesling around. Would I get fired
if I used that?

I'm thinking Italian bread from Brianno's to accompany.
What say ye? I await your counsel and advise.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

aem 24-03-2005 06:32 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>[snip]
> The sauce looks thickish -- can I thin it
> with some red wine (Three Buck Chuck Cabernet) or tomato juice or
> turkey broth? I might have a light riesling around. Would I get
> fired if I used that? {snip]

For some reason, red wine doesn't seem to work nearly as well for
cioppino as it does for other tomato sauces. Maybe it's just personal
taste, maybe it's the combination with seafood. I haven't used TJ's
sauce (though we like several of the other simmer sauces). We use V-8
juice in our own cioppino sauce, 1/3 to 1/2 of the tomato juice volume.
Served it once to a really analytical foodie who fretted for an hour
over 'what are those mysterious ingredient flavors?' before I revealed
the "secret."

You would not get fired for using Riesling. You might get fried if you
drank it all instead. -aem

Steve the Sauropodman 24-03-2005 06:50 PM

I'll probably get hammered for this. Having grown up in a Sicilian
household - with a grandfather, and a bunch of uncles who loved
sal****er fishing, and a French great-grandmother, who could whip up a
delicious meal from old newspapers - it seems whether it's called
ciopinno, marascada, bouillabaisse, or just fish stew, is usually made
with whatever the catch of the day might be. I remember fishing off of
Point Pleasant, NJ as a kid and making a simmered fish soup/stew with
fresh bluefish. I still make it today.

Shrimp, scallops and tilapia sound delicious. I'd thin the sauce with
broth, very dry sherry, or a dry white wine - the reisling might be a
bit too sweet. Italian bread and a big salad would be fantastic.
Serve the Three Buck Chuck Cabernet with the meal, or maybe make some
sangria and have a mini-fiesta.

Good Luck

notbob 24-03-2005 07:24 PM

On 2005-03-24, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> The sauce looks thickish -- can I thin it
> with some red wine (Three Buck Chuck Cabernet).....

Oh absolutely!!

I used to have a serious jones for TJ's cioppino. I used to have it
every Sat night for a couple years. I'd enjoy it with a good bottle
of CA zinfandel and some SF sourdough bread w/ butter. And yes, the
sauce will definitely benefit from a little addition of wine. Not too
much, as it will change the sauce which is quite good on its own. I'd
go with the merlot as it's not as acidic as the cab.

They also sell it frozen with fish, mussels, and bay scallops already
included. Each pkg is enough for a huge single or two small servings
for a mere $5. An incredible deal considering I've paid 4 or 5 times
that for lesser quality cioppino in restaurants. The amount of fish
has gone down over the years (no more shrimp) to keep the $5 price,
but they've managed to keep the sauce as good as ever.

Yes, TJ's cioppino is one of the best deals in the whole store. It's
amazingly good. By all means, toss in some fresh or frozen seafood
and enjoy. In fact, you've got my buds a'flowin' and I'm about due.

enjoy =D
nb

Dimitri 24-03-2005 08:09 PM

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> That was part of my haul and I'm thinking of making it up for tomorrow's
> supper - Niece Patty may join us, may not.
>
> Do I have to put mussels in it? I could but don't want to spend the
> money.

Nope

> Can I put some tilapia in it (I bought a bunch at Sam's and froze
> parcels)?

Yep
> I'm At the moment I'm thinking shrimps, scallops (frozen and on sale
> at Cub this week), and the e tilapia. Is that enough?

Suppose it's great - is it enough? Any crab on sale?

> The sauce looks thickish -- can I thin it
> with some red wine (Three Buck Chuck Cabernet) or tomato juice or
> turkey broth? I might have a light riesling around. Would I get fired
> if I used that?

Nope but hoe sewwt is the reisling?

> I'm thinking Italian bread from Brianno's to accompany.
> What say ye? I await your counsel and advise.

I like SD French with a good crispy crust for sopping up the sauce.

Dimitri

-

Puester 24-03-2005 11:23 PM

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> That was part of my haul and I'm thinking of making it up for tomorrow's
> supper - Niece Patty may join us, may not.
>
> Do I have to put mussels in it? I could but don't want to spend the
> money.
>
> Can I put some tilapia in it (I bought a bunch at Sam's and froze
> parcels)?
>
> I'm At the moment I'm thinking shrimps, scallops (frozen and on sale
> at Cub this week), and the e tilapia. Is that enough?
>
> The sauce looks thickish -- can I thin it
> with some red wine (Three Buck Chuck Cabernet) or tomato juice or
> turkey broth? I might have a light riesling around. Would I get fired
> if I used that?
>
> I'm thinking Italian bread from Brianno's to accompany.
> What say ye? I await your counsel and advise.

Yum.

gloria p

Chris Neidecker 24-03-2005 11:35 PM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-03-24, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> The sauce looks thickish -- can I thin it
>> with some red wine (Three Buck Chuck Cabernet).....

> Oh absolutely!!

> Yes, TJ's cioppino is one of the best deals in the whole store. It's
> amazingly good. By all means, toss in some fresh or frozen seafood
> and enjoy. In fact, you've got my buds a'flowin' and I'm about due.

Now *you've* got my buds a'flowin'....will have to hit TJ's pretty soon!

Melba's Jammin' 24-03-2005 11:40 PM

In article >, notbob
> wrote:

> On 2005-03-24, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > The sauce looks thickish -- can I thin it
> > with some red wine (Three Buck Chuck Cabernet).....

> Oh absolutely!!

All righty, then! I'll tell Himself to save some for dinner tomorrow
night.

> I used to have a serious jones for TJ's cioppino. I used to have it
> every Sat night for a couple years. I'd enjoy it with a good bottle
> of CA zinfandel and some SF sourdough bread w/ butter. And yes, the
> sauce will definitely benefit from a little addition of wine. Not too
> much, as it will change the sauce which is quite good on its own. I'd
> go with the merlot as it's not as acidic as the cab.

I'll see if he still has any merlot.

> They also sell it frozen with fish, mussels, and bay scallops already
> included.

I saw it. But it wouldn't have traveled well, I think. :-)
Salivating a day early, I am.
-B
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

Melba's Jammin' 24-03-2005 11:42 PM

In article .com>,
"Steve the Sauropodman" > wrote:

> I'll probably get hammered for this.

Why? I see nothing in your post to warrant a pounding! Thanks for your
input. What language is "marascada?" that's a new one for me. And I
understand about the catch of the day part. My catch is frozen so I
have some options. :-)

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

Melba's Jammin' 24-03-2005 11:43 PM

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:
> You would not get fired for using Riesling. You might get fried if you
> drank it all instead. -aem

Two Margaritas and I'm tiddly. It's not a bad thing, but I'm usually
more fun sober than most people are when they're hosed.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

Melba's Jammin' 25-03-2005 04:46 AM

In article > , Dog3
> wrote:
(snip)
> > I'm thinking Italian bread from Brianno's to accompany.
> > What say ye? I await your counsel and advise.

> I use Tilapia a lot. It is very versatile. Use it at will. I've added
> shrimp and scallops with it. Cream sauces with lemon and whatever. It has
> all been good. I love Tilapia.
>
> Michael

This was pretty good with the Peach Salsa. I'll do it again. Possibly
as soon as Saturday or Monday.

BTW, I've finished my notes and pics about our adventures in AZ last
week. The return home has a good story. :-) Go look.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

Steve the Sauropodman 25-03-2005 02:34 PM

Oh, I have a few friends that are SERIOUS amateur cooks and if I ever
claimed that say, bouillabaisse, was 'just" a fish stew, or Italian
zuppa de pesce, was just fish soup (which is exactly what "zuppa de
pesce" translate to) they'd throw a fit. Purests...go figure!

Anyway, mariscada (rechecked the spelling) is Spanish. However,
versions of the dish abound throughout Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Mexico
and just about any place that has a coastline, and people who fish.
The version I've enjoyed the most is mariscada from the Basque region
of Spain (so there's Portuguese, Spanish and French influences in the
dish). I've had it with tomatos and saffron in a spicy, rich red
sauce, or Mariscada Salsa Verde, a milder green sauce made with lots of
fresh parsley.

Here's a few versions I've tried and they're all good. If you're
adventurous try the seafood stew from Senegal

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...4/236806.shtml (Brazilian
Mariscada)

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/recipe.cgi?r=21860 (Basque Fish Soup
aka Sopa De Pescado a La Vasca)

http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_na..._crostini.html
(Portuguese Seafood Stew aka Caldeirada De Marisco)

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...4/236806.shtml (Senegalese
Seafood Stew) Don't let the bananas freak you out!

Cheers,
Steve

Melba's Jammin' 25-03-2005 03:10 PM

In article > , Dog3
> wrote:

> > BTW, I've finished my notes and pics about our adventures in AZ
> > last week. The return home has a good story. :-) Go look.

> The pics were good. I enjoyed them. Oh, I am still freezing. Gawd
> will this cold ever cease. Do you have this in Minnesota ? Dammit
> I'm freezing. I've got to take the dogs out again. Hoot is screeching
> for Pounce. I'm waiting for my adventure to CA. I'm hoping soon. I'm
> still eating beans. The fiber is killing me.
> Michael

Our weather is great! Fifties tomorrow and sixty by Tuesday. You're
freezing because you're so skinny. I have personal insulation and am
usually comfortable when others are chilly. I didn't wear a coat
yesterday -- it was in the 40s, I think. The sun makes a big difference.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Arizona vacation pics added 3-24-05.

Dale Thompson 25-03-2005 03:27 PM

In article .com>,
"Steve the Sauropodman" > wrote:

> I'll probably get hammered for this. Having grown up in a Sicilian
> household - with a grandfather, and a bunch of uncles who loved
> sal****er fishing, and a French great-grandmother, who could whip up a
> delicious meal from old newspapers - it seems whether it's called
> ciopinno, marascada, bouillabaisse, or just fish stew, is usually made
> with whatever the catch of the day might be. I remember fishing off of
> Point Pleasant, NJ as a kid and making a simmered fish soup/stew with
> fresh bluefish. I still make it today.
>
> Shrimp, scallops and tilapia sound delicious. I'd thin the sauce with
> broth, very dry sherry, or a dry white wine - the reisling might be a
> bit too sweet. Italian bread and a big salad would be fantastic.
> Serve the Three Buck Chuck Cabernet with the meal, or maybe make some
> sangria and have a mini-fiesta.
>
> Good Luck

How about posting your bluefish soup/stew recipe? Always looking for
different ways to cook the bluefish we catch on our annual surf fishing
trip.

Rosemary
--
To e-mail me remove the obvious before @ and change sinuswave to sinewave.

Steve the Sauropodman 25-03-2005 07:53 PM

You got it!

Point Pleasant Beach Sicilian Bluefish Stew

3-4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 stalk of celery (with the leaves), chopped
1 small green or red pepper, chopped
1 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
8 cloves of garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoons of Italian parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried orgeano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 28-ounce can, of Italian-style Peeled Tomatos,chopped, with juice
1 - 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2-3 pounds of bluefish cut into 2 inch pieces
A good pinch of saffron
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
a pinch of baking soda
a pinch of sugar

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat
and add the onions, celery, green/red pepper and carrot. Sweat the
vegetables 8-10 minutes until translucent - don't let them carmelize.
Add the garlic, parsley, oregano, and thyme. Cook for another minute or
two until the garlic is fragrant.

Crush the Italian-Style tomatoes (squishing them by hand is fun for
kids of all ages - but watch out they'll squirt at ya!) Add tomatoes to
the pot and cook, 10-12 minutes, until the tomatoes have broken down a
bit. Add the wine, raise the heat and bring to a low boil. Boil 5
minutes, stirring often, break up the tomatos if they're too big (I
like them a bit chunky). Add the water to thin out the tomato soup
base. The goal here is a fish stew not tomato sauce. Add salt and
pepper to taste. If the tomato base is too acidic add a pinch of
baking soda. It you want a sweeter taste to the tomatos add a pinch
of. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer uncovered for another 8-10
minutes.

Reduce heat. Add bluefish. Poach fish 5-7 minutes, or until opaque and
cooked through. Correct seasonings. Add fresh parsley. Serve in wide
bowls with crusty bread, or better yet garlic bread, and a big green
salad.

Note: When I'm making the stew, I usually just "eyeball it" all,
tweaking things here and there along the way. The amounts aren't set in
stone, but they're close enough to make a good meal. It's a pretty
flexible recipe, so it lends itself well to improvisation and
experimentation.

Enjoy!
Steve