rmg

Default Delicious Cake and Question

The Lemon Cakes with Basil Lemon Syrup in the April Gourmet are heavenly.
Heavenly! I made them for a birthday party and I'm making them again tonight
for no reason (well, hehehe).

The recipe is rather long and is not posted on Epicurious yet, so I
apologize for not including it. Basically they are parve and use matzo
flour. I used all purpose flour and they turned out fine. They contain a lot
of butter and egg yolks, and get a lot of their volume and fluff from 3 egg
whites beaten with sugar and folded into the batter at the end. Then you
bake them in muffin tins.

I did notice something interesting though. You're supposed to paint melted
butter on the muffin tins, chill, repaint with more butter, chill and then
flour the tins. I forgot to prepare 2 tins and just smeared butter on them
and hastily tossed flour into them at the end. The muffins baked in the
"properly" prepared tins didn't really stick to the sides. They were
actually rounded at the bottom and had a lot of volume on top. The ones
baked in the "last minute" tins didn't have as much volume on top but were
more full-bodied and cake-like on the bottom. They looked more like the
picture in the magazine and had a stronger base for plating.

Why do they want you to jump through hoops with all the butter painting and
chilling? I'd love to hear someone who knows more about baking share some
perspective.

cheers

"What do the fish remind you of?"
"Other fish."
"And what do the other fish remind you of?"
"Other fish."
- Joseph Heller, Catch 22