FoodBanter.com

-   -   OVEN TEMP PUZZLE (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/56933-oven-temp-puzzle.html)

22-03-2005 02:58 AM

OVEN TEMP PUZZLE

I'm planning an Easter dinner that involves
a turkey and a potato casserole.

The turkey roasts at 350
the casserole at 300

How do they share the oven ?

<rj>

Sheldon 22-03-2005 03:22 AM

<RJ> wrote:
> I'm planning an Easter dinner that involves
> a turkey and a potato casserole.
>
> The turkey roasts at 350
> the casserole at 300
>
> How do they share the oven ?

What kind of casserole and how long at 300... and what size turkey...
turkey packages say to roast at 325... I would cook the casserole after
the turkey is done, while the turkey rests.

Peter Aitken 22-03-2005 01:23 PM

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I'm planning an Easter dinner that involves
> a turkey and a potato casserole.
>
> The turkey roasts at 350
> the casserole at 300
>
> How do they share the oven ?
>

> <rj>

I cannot imagine a potato casserole that requires a precise temp. Bake it at
350 with the turkey but for less time than the recipe states.

--
Peter Aitken

Melba's Jammin' 22-03-2005 11:28 PM

In article >,
wrote:

> I'm planning an Easter dinner that involves
> a turkey and a potato casserole.
>
> The turkey roasts at 350
> the casserole at 300
>
> How do they share the oven ?
>

> <rj>

Put the casserole in the 350 oven during the last 10 minutes (15
minutes?) of turkey time, then reduce the temp to 300 for the remaining
30 minutes or so while the turkey rests before carving. Cinchy.

Or roast the turkey at 325 (normal turkey roasting temp where I come
from) -- consult a cookbook for details.

Or use this potato casserole recipe:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Potato Casserole

Recipe By : posted again to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 3-22-05
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables

8 medium potatoes
1/4 cup butter -- melted
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 cups sour cream -- (16 oz.)
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 green onions -- chopped
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup crushed corn flakes

Cook potatoes in their skins (red potatoes are better) until barely
tender. Cool, peel, and coarsely chop. In a bowl, add butter to soup,
stirring until smooth. Blend in sour cream, seasonings, onions, and
1-1/2 cups of the cheese. Pour over potatoes and stir in blend. Spoon
into a buttered 2-1/2 quart casserole. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes at
350 degrees. Sprinkle remaining cheese and corn flakes on top, cover,
and bake for another 30 minutes. Serves 8-10 people.

Source: Barb O, early 1970s. Mighty tasty it is! More recent recipes
call for a 2# (?) bag of frozen hashbrowns, but I prefer the
fresh-cooked potatoes. Often named "Dairy Potato Bake."

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.