Darkginger

Default American tastes, Irish food

I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
cabbage, that sort of thing.

Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
(Charlie?) would be appreciated.

Maybe I'm asking a bit in advance, but I'm known for being slow to get
organised, so I thought I'd start early! My own experience of US food is
very limited - TexMex and CaliMex is about it! (The rest of the time, I
cooked in the apartment).

They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times) be
here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and memorable
time - so help please!

Jo

---

modom

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:36:21 -0000, "Darkginger"
> wrote:

>I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
>September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
>Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
>to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
>bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
>the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
>with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
>dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
>from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
>cabbage, that sort of thing.

It all sounds wonderful to this American. Going for the mussels and
other seafood will surely please most of them. Although they are not
unheard of, lamb and grass-fed beef are not very common over here, and
both are delicious.

>Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
>USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
>guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
>with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
>not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
>(Charlie?) would be appreciated.

Good fish and chips are not common in my part of America (NE Texas),
but Indian fare (even vegan Indian) is easy to find in cities like
Dallas.

modom
modom

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:36:21 -0000, "Darkginger"
> wrote:

>I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
>September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
>Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
>to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
>bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
>the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
>with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
>dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
>from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
>cabbage, that sort of thing.

It all sounds wonderful to this American. Going for the mussels and
other seafood will surely please most of them. Although they are not
unheard of, lamb and grass-fed beef are not very common over here, and
both are delicious.

>Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
>USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
>guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
>with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
>not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
>(Charlie?) would be appreciated.

Good fish and chips are not common in my part of America (NE Texas),
but Indian fare (even vegan Indian) is easy to find in cities like
Dallas.

modom
Felice Friese

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
news
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.
<snip>

> Jo

Jo, the most memorable of my meals in Ireland were the unbelievable
breakfasts. Do treat them to one, right down to the mushrooms and tomatoes.
Heaven!

Other foods I found absolutely delightful were Moy salmon, Dublin prawns
and, of course, your brown bread and the butteriest butter anywhere. And
then, of course, your chocolates ...

I envy your guests!

Felice

Felice Friese

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
news
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.
<snip>

> Jo

Jo, the most memorable of my meals in Ireland were the unbelievable
breakfasts. Do treat them to one, right down to the mushrooms and tomatoes.
Heaven!

Other foods I found absolutely delightful were Moy salmon, Dublin prawns
and, of course, your brown bread and the butteriest butter anywhere. And
then, of course, your chocolates ...

I envy your guests!

Felice

Peter Aitken

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
news
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.
>
> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
> guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> (Charlie?) would be appreciated.

Got room for one more? The things you mention in the first para sound great
to me! Good fish and chip places are very rare in the US. Be prepared for
people putting ketchup on their chips. Indian -as in the country of India -
restaurants are fairly common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
news
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.
>
> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
> guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> (Charlie?) would be appreciated.

Got room for one more? The things you mention in the first para sound great
to me! Good fish and chip places are very rare in the US. Be prepared for
people putting ketchup on their chips. Indian -as in the country of India -
restaurants are fairly common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

--
Peter Aitken

MareCat

Speaking for myself, as an American...

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:36:21 -0000, "Darkginger"
> wrote:

>I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
>September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
>Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
>to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
>bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
>the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
>with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
>dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
>from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
>cabbage, that sort of thing.

Mmmmmm...that all sounds like what I'd like to eat while in Ireland.

>Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
>USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
>guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
>with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
>not used to.

Indian, Thai, sushi, and other Asian cuisine is easy to find where I
live in the U.S. Ditto for Italian, Latin American, and Middle
Eastern. What I'd like to sample while across the pond are foods
commonly eaten in Ireland and the UK. Fish and chips, Irish stew, etc.
can be found in many Irish pubs in the U.S., but I would think that
the food in Ireland is much better.

Mary in Houston
MareCat

Speaking for myself, as an American...

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 17:36:21 -0000, "Darkginger"
> wrote:

>I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
>September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
>Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
>to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
>bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
>the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
>with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
>dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
>from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
>cabbage, that sort of thing.

Mmmmmm...that all sounds like what I'd like to eat while in Ireland.

>Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
>USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
>guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
>with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
>not used to.

Indian, Thai, sushi, and other Asian cuisine is easy to find where I
live in the U.S. Ditto for Italian, Latin American, and Middle
Eastern. What I'd like to sample while across the pond are foods
commonly eaten in Ireland and the UK. Fish and chips, Irish stew, etc.
can be found in many Irish pubs in the U.S., but I would think that
the food in Ireland is much better.

Mary in Houston
kilikini

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
news
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.
>
> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
> guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> (Charlie?) would be appreciated.
>
> Maybe I'm asking a bit in advance, but I'm known for being slow to get
> organised, so I thought I'd start early! My own experience of US food is
> very limited - TexMex and CaliMex is about it! (The rest of the time, I
> cooked in the apartment).
>
> They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times) be
> here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and memorable
> time - so help please!
>
> Jo
>

> ---

Forget the food, lead me to the Guinness! <VBG>
kili

kilikini

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
news
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.
>
> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
> guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> (Charlie?) would be appreciated.
>
> Maybe I'm asking a bit in advance, but I'm known for being slow to get
> organised, so I thought I'd start early! My own experience of US food is
> very limited - TexMex and CaliMex is about it! (The rest of the time, I
> cooked in the apartment).
>
> They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times) be
> here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and memorable
> time - so help please!
>
> Jo
>

> ---

Forget the food, lead me to the Guinness! <VBG>
kili

PENMART01

>What I'd like to sample while across the pond are foods
>commonly eaten in Ireland and the UK. Fish and chips, Irish stew, etc.
>can be found in many Irish pubs in the U.S., but I would think that
>the food in Ireland is much better.
>
>Mary in Houston

Compared with Houston (all of Texas for that matter), well yes.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>What I'd like to sample while across the pond are foods
>commonly eaten in Ireland and the UK. Fish and chips, Irish stew, etc.
>can be found in many Irish pubs in the U.S., but I would think that
>the food in Ireland is much better.
>
>Mary in Houston

Compared with Houston (all of Texas for that matter), well yes.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

limey

"kilikini" wrote in message
> "Darkginger" wrote in message

<snipped >
> > They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times)

be
> > here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and

memorable
> > time - so help please!
> >
> > Jo
> >

> Forget the food, lead me to the Guinness! <VBG>
> kili

And don't forget to take them all to the pub(s) while they're there! That
atmosphere is missing here.

I agree with another OP - treat them to full Irish breakfasts. All other
suggestions sound great to me. Enjoy all your guests.

Dora

limey

"kilikini" wrote in message
> "Darkginger" wrote in message

<snipped >
> > They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times)

be
> > here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and

memorable
> > time - so help please!
> >
> > Jo
> >

> Forget the food, lead me to the Guinness! <VBG>
> kili

And don't forget to take them all to the pub(s) while they're there! That
atmosphere is missing here.

I agree with another OP - treat them to full Irish breakfasts. All other
suggestions sound great to me. Enjoy all your guests.

Dora

modom

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:28:43 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>Got room for one more? The things you mention in the first para sound great
>to me! Good fish and chip places are very rare in the US. Be prepared for
>people putting ketchup on their chips. Indian -as in the country of India -
>restaurants are fairly common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

Isn't that West Indian?

Anyhow, I have to say I'd jump at a chance for a week of the food in
she describes as Irish.

modom
modom

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 19:28:43 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>Got room for one more? The things you mention in the first para sound great
>to me! Good fish and chip places are very rare in the US. Be prepared for
>people putting ketchup on their chips. Indian -as in the country of India -
>restaurants are fairly common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

Isn't that West Indian?

Anyhow, I have to say I'd jump at a chance for a week of the food in
she describes as Irish.

modom
Bob

Peter wrote:

> Indian -as in the country of India - restaurants are fairly
> common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

"The islands" are the WEST Indies.

Bob

Bob

Peter wrote:

> Indian -as in the country of India - restaurants are fairly
> common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

"The islands" are the WEST Indies.

Bob

jmcquown

Darkginger wrote:
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California
> to Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem
> 'ethnic' to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and
> white puddings, bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than
> the stuff you get in the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked
> mussels grilled (broiled) with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters
> with local ingredients - I dunno, I just want to give them a taste of
> Irish food which is *different* from what they can get at home -
> lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon & cabbage, that sort of thing.

Sounds great to me! Play them some Sally Oldfield tunes

> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> USians experienced them?

Yes.

What about fish 'n chip eateries?

Not common at all. Perhaps up by the Canadian border; I recall having fish
& chips on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls as a kid, with malt vinegar.
Hard to find good beer battered fish & chips.

Jill

jmcquown

Darkginger wrote:
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California
> to Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem
> 'ethnic' to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and
> white puddings, bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than
> the stuff you get in the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked
> mussels grilled (broiled) with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters
> with local ingredients - I dunno, I just want to give them a taste of
> Irish food which is *different* from what they can get at home -
> lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon & cabbage, that sort of thing.

Sounds great to me! Play them some Sally Oldfield tunes

> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> USians experienced them?

Yes.

What about fish 'n chip eateries?

Not common at all. Perhaps up by the Canadian border; I recall having fish
& chips on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls as a kid, with malt vinegar.
Hard to find good beer battered fish & chips.

Jill

Bob

Felice wrote:

> Jo, the most memorable of my meals in Ireland were the unbelievable
> breakfasts. Do treat them to one, right down to the mushrooms and
> tomatoes.
> Heaven!

Don't forget the oatmeal and cream.

I agree that Irish breakfasts are very, very good. But the "guests" will be
around for several days, so rather than offering every good Irish thing at
the first breakfast, keep a few things in reserve for later breakfasts.

Bob

Bob

Felice wrote:

> Jo, the most memorable of my meals in Ireland were the unbelievable
> breakfasts. Do treat them to one, right down to the mushrooms and
> tomatoes.
> Heaven!

Don't forget the oatmeal and cream.

I agree that Irish breakfasts are very, very good. But the "guests" will be
around for several days, so rather than offering every good Irish thing at
the first breakfast, keep a few things in reserve for later breakfasts.

Bob

limey

"Darkginger" wrote in message
What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
> guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> (Charlie?) would be appreciated.

> Jo

How are fish and chips eateries these days? When I grew up in London, they
were somewhat stark - you ordered at a counter, waited for it to be cooked,
then took it home. Classic take-out.
The last time I went home, my cousins decided I should eat fish and chips
(fine with me). I was overcome when I saw the fish and chip place - elegant
restaurant dealing just with fish and chips, with starched white linen
tablecloths, prettily folded pink napkins and water goblets. What has the
world come to. ;-(

Dora

Dora

limey

"Darkginger" wrote in message
What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
> guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> (Charlie?) would be appreciated.

> Jo

How are fish and chips eateries these days? When I grew up in London, they
were somewhat stark - you ordered at a counter, waited for it to be cooked,
then took it home. Classic take-out.
The last time I went home, my cousins decided I should eat fish and chips
(fine with me). I was overcome when I saw the fish and chip place - elegant
restaurant dealing just with fish and chips, with starched white linen
tablecloths, prettily folded pink napkins and water goblets. What has the
world come to. ;-(

Dora

Dora

Peter Aitken

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>
> > Indian -as in the country of India - restaurants are fairly
> > common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

> "The islands" are the WEST Indies.
>
> Bob

What *are* you talking about? I used "the islands" to make it clear that I
used "East Indian" to refer to the East Indies and not to the eastern part
of India.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Bob" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>
> > Indian -as in the country of India - restaurants are fairly
> > common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

> "The islands" are the WEST Indies.
>
> Bob

What *are* you talking about? I used "the islands" to make it clear that I
used "East Indian" to refer to the East Indies and not to the eastern part
of India.

--
Peter Aitken

Dan Goodman

"Darkginger" > wrote in

> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California
> to Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem
> 'ethnic' to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and
> white puddings, bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than
> the stuff you get in the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked
> mussels grilled (broiled) with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters
> with local ingredients - I dunno, I just want to give them a taste of
> Irish food which is *different* from what they can get at home - lamb,
> maybe, grass fed beef, bacon & cabbage, that sort of thing.

It occurs to me that I don't know of any Irish-American seafood recipes.

As for the rest: Chances are that whatever they've encountered as Irish
food in the US would be noticeably different from genuine Irish food.

Digression: Much of what I know about genuine Irish food comes from
reading about a 1930s
anthropological study in a rural area. In that time and place, most
members of farm families got one egg for breakfast; the head of the
household got two.

> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US?

That probably depends on where in the US. In my part of Minneapolis,
there are several within longish walking distance.

Have most
> USians experienced them?

I wouldn't say most. But I suspect that

>What about fish 'n chip eateries?

There are several US chains devoted to fish and chips; people who haven't
encountered them near home are likely to have run across them in
airports. However, it's quite likely that what they serve isn't like
what's service in Ireland.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com or
Dan Goodman

"Darkginger" > wrote in

> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California
> to Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem
> 'ethnic' to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and
> white puddings, bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than
> the stuff you get in the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked
> mussels grilled (broiled) with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters
> with local ingredients - I dunno, I just want to give them a taste of
> Irish food which is *different* from what they can get at home - lamb,
> maybe, grass fed beef, bacon & cabbage, that sort of thing.

It occurs to me that I don't know of any Irish-American seafood recipes.

As for the rest: Chances are that whatever they've encountered as Irish
food in the US would be noticeably different from genuine Irish food.

Digression: Much of what I know about genuine Irish food comes from
reading about a 1930s
anthropological study in a rural area. In that time and place, most
members of farm families got one egg for breakfast; the head of the
household got two.

> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US?

That probably depends on where in the US. In my part of Minneapolis,
there are several within longish walking distance.

Have most
> USians experienced them?

I wouldn't say most. But I suspect that

>What about fish 'n chip eateries?

There are several US chains devoted to fish and chips; people who haven't
encountered them near home are likely to have run across them in
airports. However, it's quite likely that what they serve isn't like
what's service in Ireland.

--
Dan Goodman
Journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com or
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.
modom

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:31:21 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Bob" > wrote in message
>> Peter wrote:
>>
>> > Indian -as in the country of India - restaurants are fairly
>> > common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

>> "The islands" are the WEST Indies.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>What *are* you talking about? I used "the islands" to make it clear that I
>used "East Indian" to refer to the East Indies and not to the eastern part
>of India.

I'm not following you. Are you referring to Indonesia, then? Or the
Moluccans? Timor? The people who live on islands in the Caribbean
are collectively referred to as West Indian. The expression "East
Indies" isn't one I run across often outside references to
colonial-era trading companies. A quick Google search turned up hits
for WWII campaigns in what was once called the Dutch East Indies, for
example. Googling West Indies turned up hits for Jamaica, Trinidad,
Martinique, etc.

Anyhow, you're quite right when you say that Indian food is more
common in the US than Indonesian food. If that's what you meant.

(I need to learn more about Indonesian food. Candle nuts, e.g.)

modom

modom

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:31:21 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Bob" > wrote in message
>> Peter wrote:
>>
>> > Indian -as in the country of India - restaurants are fairly
>> > common but East Indian -the islands - are not.

>> "The islands" are the WEST Indies.
>>
>> Bob
>>

>What *are* you talking about? I used "the islands" to make it clear that I
>used "East Indian" to refer to the East Indies and not to the eastern part
>of India.

I'm not following you. Are you referring to Indonesia, then? Or the
Moluccans? Timor? The people who live on islands in the Caribbean
are collectively referred to as West Indian. The expression "East
Indies" isn't one I run across often outside references to
colonial-era trading companies. A quick Google search turned up hits
for WWII campaigns in what was once called the Dutch East Indies, for
example. Googling West Indies turned up hits for Jamaica, Trinidad,
Martinique, etc.

Anyhow, you're quite right when you say that Indian food is more
common in the US than Indonesian food. If that's what you meant.

(I need to learn more about Indonesian food. Candle nuts, e.g.)

modom
Tony Lew

"kilikini" > wrote in message >...
> "Darkginger" > wrote in message
> news
> > I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> > September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> > Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> > to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> > bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> > the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> > with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> > dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> > from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> > cabbage, that sort of thing.
> >
> > Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> > USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
> > guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> > with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> > not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> > (Charlie?) would be appreciated.
> >
> > Maybe I'm asking a bit in advance, but I'm known for being slow to get
> > organised, so I thought I'd start early! My own experience of US food is
> > very limited - TexMex and CaliMex is about it! (The rest of the time, I
> > cooked in the apartment).
> >
> > They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times) be
> > here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and memorable
> > time - so help please!
> >
> > Jo
> >

> > ---
> >

> Forget the food, lead me to the Guinness! <VBG>

An Irish 7-course dinner!

> kili

Tony Lew

"kilikini" > wrote in message >...
> "Darkginger" > wrote in message
> news
> > I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> > September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> > Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> > to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> > bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> > the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> > with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> > dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> > from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> > cabbage, that sort of thing.
> >
> > Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> > USians experienced them? What about fish 'n chip eateries? I'd like my
> > guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> > with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> > not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> > (Charlie?) would be appreciated.
> >
> > Maybe I'm asking a bit in advance, but I'm known for being slow to get
> > organised, so I thought I'd start early! My own experience of US food is
> > very limited - TexMex and CaliMex is about it! (The rest of the time, I
> > cooked in the apartment).
> >
> > They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times) be
> > here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and memorable
> > time - so help please!
> >
> > Jo
> >

> > ---
> >

> Forget the food, lead me to the Guinness! <VBG>

An Irish 7-course dinner!

> kili

Bob

Peter wrote:

> What *are* you talking about? I used "the islands" to make it clear that I
> used "East Indian" to refer to the East Indies and not to the eastern part
> of India.

Okay, here's the problem: The term "East Indies" is semantically obsolete.
To avoid confusion, you could have used the modern term, "Indonesian".

At any rate, we've digressed from the discussion of Irish food, and I don't
think Jo wanted to offer Indonesian food to her guests.

Bob

Bob

Peter wrote:

> What *are* you talking about? I used "the islands" to make it clear that I
> used "East Indian" to refer to the East Indies and not to the eastern part
> of India.

Okay, here's the problem: The term "East Indies" is semantically obsolete.
To avoid confusion, you could have used the modern term, "Indonesian".

At any rate, we've digressed from the discussion of Irish food, and I don't
think Jo wanted to offer Indonesian food to her guests.

Bob

Steve Knight

I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
>bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
>the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
>with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients -

I don't think most americans will go for black puddings if they know what they
are.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
>bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
>the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
>with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients -

I don't think most americans will go for black puddings if they know what they
are.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Charles Gifford

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
news
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them?

Most who haven't been there have a very odd idea of what Irish "ethnic" food
is, in my opinion.

> I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US,

They should have at least one full breakfast! Black and white pudding, Irish
bacon, eggs, bangers, and so forth.

> lunches like Irish Stew,

They may not like it, but they should have the chance to try *real* Irish
stew.

> freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.

Excellent Irish beef would be good. Bacon and Cabbage would be a super thing
to have that they wouldn't have had in the U.S. most likely.

Indian food is readily available here as is fish and chips. Fresh seafood is
ideal along with good bread. One of the great treasures of Ireland is the
smoked salmon. They possibly will be expecting scones, soda bread, and Barm
Brack. Incidentally, Irish brown bread is not to be found her and is about
impossible to make here as the proper flour isn't available.

It may seem odd, but I think they should have plenty of potatoes. There are
so few varieties available to most people in the U.S. that most are not
aware of the flavors and textures that live in them.

> They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times) be
> here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and memorable
> time - so help please!
>
> Jo

Take them out for an evening of Trad music at a pub Jo. Some beer and good
crack and they won't soon forget their trip!

Cheers,
Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Darkginger" > wrote in message
news
> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them?

Most who haven't been there have a very odd idea of what Irish "ethnic" food
is, in my opinion.

> I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US,

They should have at least one full breakfast! Black and white pudding, Irish
bacon, eggs, bangers, and so forth.

> lunches like Irish Stew,

They may not like it, but they should have the chance to try *real* Irish
stew.

> freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.

Excellent Irish beef would be good. Bacon and Cabbage would be a super thing
to have that they wouldn't have had in the U.S. most likely.

Indian food is readily available here as is fish and chips. Fresh seafood is
ideal along with good bread. One of the great treasures of Ireland is the
smoked salmon. They possibly will be expecting scones, soda bread, and Barm
Brack. Incidentally, Irish brown bread is not to be found her and is about
impossible to make here as the proper flour isn't available.

It may seem odd, but I think they should have plenty of potatoes. There are
so few varieties available to most people in the U.S. that most are not
aware of the flavors and textures that live in them.

> They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times) be
> here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and memorable
> time - so help please!
>
> Jo

Take them out for an evening of Trad music at a pub Jo. Some beer and good
crack and they won't soon forget their trip!

Cheers,
Charlie

Arri London

Darkginger wrote:

> I'm expecting a bundle of Americans to come visiting (Ireland) in
> September - from all over the country, Alaska to New York, California to
> Connecticut. Does anyone have any idea what Irish food would seem 'ethnic'
> to them? I'm thinking of breakfasts that include black and white puddings,
> bacon rashers which are more like Canadian bacon than the stuff you get in
> the US, lunches like Irish Stew, freshly picked mussels grilled (broiled)
> with garlic & breadcrumbs, seafood platters with local ingredients - I
> dunno, I just want to give them a taste of Irish food which is *different*
> from what they can get at home - lamb, maybe, grass fed beef, bacon &
> cabbage, that sort of thing.

Just feed them normal Irish food. True Irish food isn't very common in
the US and the ingredients certainly won't be the same anyway.

> Also, how prevalent are (East) Indian restaurants in the US? Have most
> USians experienced them?

Varies with the part of the country. Here in ABQ there are only two or
three Indian restaurants and the food is abysmal and not the least bit
Indian.

What about fish 'n chip eateries?

That also varies. Most (but not all) parts of the US I've been to don't
have anything like UK/Irish fish and chip shops. The chains produce
sorry imitations of the real thing.

>I'd like my
> guests (which I think of them as, although they won't all (16) be staying
> with me, I don't have a mansion!) to have fun exploring food that they're
> not used to. Any ideas from people who have experience of both countries
> (Charlie?) would be appreciated.

Just take them round to the places where Irish people eat.

> Maybe I'm asking a bit in advance, but I'm known for being slow to get
> organised, so I thought I'd start early! My own experience of US food is
> very limited - TexMex and CaliMex is about it! (The rest of the time, I
> cooked in the apartment).
>
> They'll mostly (as in some will stay longer, others for shorter times) be
> here for about a week, and I really want them to have a good and memorable
> time - so help please!
>
> Jo

They will have that anyway. If there are people in the group who don't
want to try new things you can't make them, really. Just feed them as
you would feed yourself or any of your Irish friends. The food in
Ireland is fantastic!