nancree

Default Anyone have "Carrots w/ brown sugar/butter" from "I Hate to Cook Book"??

Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
TIA
Nancree

Damsel in dis Dress

I don't have that book, unfortunately. Your best bet is eBay. Another
option, if you only want that one recipe, is to Google in both Groups
and Web. Maybe someone has posted the recipe in the past.

Carol

cycjec

nancree > wrote:
> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken?

I have at hand the 1985 _ The Compleat I Hate To Cook Book _
The original version, which I think of as the "old" version
was c. 1960, with an _ Appendix _ appearing a few years later.

> It has a recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and
> butter and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??

On p. 112 I see a carrot recipe that might be what you want:

Cut enough carrots into strips to make 2 cups full... Cook until
tender, drain.

3 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. sugar (no spec. as to what kind)
1/2 tsp. paprika
juice of half a lemon

Mix these last four in a heavy pan, add the carrots and
saute (sorry about my lack of diacritics) for about 10 minutes,
stirring.

sf

nancree wrote:
> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has

> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and

butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> TIA
> Nancree

I don't have that book, but making carrots with brown sugar and butter
is a no brainer. Steam them until done, but not mushy. Dump into a
bowl with not very much butter and brown sugar. Start with 1 t of each
and increase by one of each by every two servings of carrots. If you
like carrots sweeter or richer, increase what suites you. I don't add
extra spices like cinnamon to carrots, but you could if your taste
dictates it.

A similar recipe I use is the following :

I brown the carrots lightly in butter (I use a lot of butter, 1/2 stick
per pound of carrots, maybe even more)
Lower the heat
Add 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of orange marmalade to the carrots
Cook and stir until the marmalade breaks up and begins thickening
again.
Stir in fresh chopped parsley just before serving.

I know it isn't the healthiest way to serve carrots, but it is good and
easy to make.

Dean G.

Dimitri

"nancree" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> TIA
> Nancree

I just braise in orange juice when reduced and the carrot are tender add a
little butter to give the sauce some gloss.

Here is a recipe that is a bit more complex from Whole Foods,

Dimitri

Orange-Glazed Carrots
Serves 4
How little it takes-honey, orange and lemon juices, a dab of butter and
hints of spice-to transform carrots from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
4 cups diagonally sliced carrots
2 TB Whole Foods Organic Orange Blossom Honey
1 TB fresh lemon juice
1 TB frozen orange juice concentrate
2 tsp unsalted butter
1/4 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
large pinch of cinnamon
large pinch of nutmeg
Prep Time: 25 minutes
In large covered skillet, bring 1" of water to a boil over high heat. Add
carrots and return to a boil, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until
carrots are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Reserving 1 TB of cooking liquid, drain
carrots in a colander.
Wipe skillet dry. Add reserved cooking liquid, honey, lemon juice, orange
juice concentrate, butter, orange zest, pepper, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg,
and place over medium heat. Cook mixture, stirring, until heated through.

Gregory Morrow

Dimitri wrote:

> "nancree" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
> > recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
> > and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> > TIA
> > Nancree

> I just braise in orange juice when reduced and the carrot are tender add a
> little butter to give the sauce some gloss.

Add some toasted sesame seeds as garnish, gives a nice flourish...

--
Best
Greg

nancree wrote:
> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has

> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and

butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> TIA
> Nancree

I just throw in the butter & brown sugar without measuring ;-) If I'm
using 2 15-oz. or so cans of carrots, I drain almost all the juice and
use about 4 T. butter, and then about 1/4 C. of brown sugar. Whatever
looks right, mostly.

N.

Sheldon

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > "nancree" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It

has a
> > > recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and

butter
> > > and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> > > TIA
> > > Nancree

> > I just braise in orange juice when reduced and the carrot are

tender add a
> > little butter to give the sauce some gloss.

> Add some toasted sesame seeds as garnish, gives a nice flourish...

Add a splash of dark rum, guzzle the remainder, givshes a nicshe hyigh.
. .

S/

nancree

Thanks to all for the caramelized carrot ideas. They will be useful.
My favorite thing about the Peg Bracken "I Hate to Cook Book" series
was the chapter headings, with their subtitles. Two that I remember
"Last Minute Suppers, or--How to get the Chenille Marks off your face
before your Husband Comes Home".
and
"Pot Luck Dinners, or--How to bring the Water for the Lemonade".

Anyone else remember more of them?
Nancree

Ruddell

In .com> Sheldon wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> > "nancree" > wrote in message
>> > oups.com...

> has a

> butter
>> >

>> > I just braise in orange juice when reduced and the carrot are

> tender add a
>> > little butter to give the sauce some gloss.

>> Add some toasted sesame seeds as garnish, gives a nice flourish...

> Add a splash of dark rum, guzzle the remainder, givshes a nicshe hyigh.

Sigh, oh those daze are gone :-(

--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> Thanks to all for the caramelized carrot ideas. They will be useful.
> My favorite thing about the Peg Bracken "I Hate to Cook Book" series
> was the chapter headings, with their subtitles. Two that I remember
> "Last Minute Suppers, or--How to get the Chenille Marks off your face
> before your Husband Comes Home".
> and
> "Pot Luck Dinners, or--How to bring the Water for the Lemonade".
>
> Anyone else remember more of them?
> Nancree

Counter Attack - Paddling Through The Combat Zone
Cooking if Alone - Eating With Your Shoes Off
The Daily Antilcimax - Entrées For The Simple-Minded & The Pure In Heart
Spuds and Other Starches - Or Ballast Is A Girl's Best Friend
Luncheon for the Girls - Or Wait Till You Taste Maybelle's Peanut Butter
Aspic
Stealing from Knowledgeable People - I Seen Her When She Done It But I
Never Let On
Last Minute Suppers - Or This Is The Story Of Your Life (note the change
in subtitles from your version).
My titles are from The Compleat I Hate To Cook Book
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> TIA
> Nancree

Su
Company Carrots
(Through the ages, people have gone to enormous trouble to camouflage
carrots. Once I saw a recipe that called for carrots, strained honey,
marjram, grated cheese, and chestnuts, which is like sewing diamond
buttons on denim jeans.)

Cut a reasonable number of carrots into strips - so you have 2 cupfuls,
say. Cook them till they're tender and drain them. Then mix these
things together in a heavy pan:
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
juice of half a lemon

Add the carrots and sauté them about 10 minutes, stirring so that all
the strips get well acquainted with the sauce.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
Serene

nancree > wrote:

> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??

Ooh, I loved those books (there were two or three). Wonder if I still
have them. I'll go look while I'm cleaning up today and if I do, I'll
post the recipe.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com