General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
nancree
 
Posts: n/a
Default Anyone have "Carrots w/ brown sugar/butter" from "I Hate to Cook Book"??

Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
TIA
Nancree

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't have that book, unfortunately. Your best bet is eBay. Another
option, if you only want that one recipe, is to Google in both Groups
and Web. Maybe someone has posted the recipe in the past.

Carol

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
cycjec
 
Posts: n/a
Default

nancree > wrote:
> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken?


I have at hand the 1985 _ The Compleat I Hate To Cook Book _
The original version, which I think of as the "old" version
was c. 1960, with an _ Appendix _ appearing a few years later.


> It has a recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and
> butter and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??


On p. 112 I see a carrot recipe that might be what you want:

Cut enough carrots into strips to make 2 cups full... Cook until
tender, drain.

3 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. sugar (no spec. as to what kind)
1/2 tsp. paprika
juice of half a lemon

Mix these last four in a heavy pan, add the carrots and
saute (sorry about my lack of diacritics) for about 10 minutes,
stirring.

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
sf
 
Posts: n/a
Default


nancree wrote:
> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has

a
> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and

butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> TIA
> Nancree


I don't have that book, but making carrots with brown sugar and butter
is a no brainer. Steam them until done, but not mushy. Dump into a
bowl with not very much butter and brown sugar. Start with 1 t of each
and increase by one of each by every two servings of carrots. If you
like carrots sweeter or richer, increase what suites you. I don't add
extra spices like cinnamon to carrots, but you could if your taste
dictates it.



  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A similar recipe I use is the following :

I brown the carrots lightly in butter (I use a lot of butter, 1/2 stick
per pound of carrots, maybe even more)
Lower the heat
Add 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of orange marmalade to the carrots
Cook and stir until the marmalade breaks up and begins thickening
again.
Stir in fresh chopped parsley just before serving.

I know it isn't the healthiest way to serve carrots, but it is good and
easy to make.

Dean G.



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Dimitri
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"nancree" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> TIA
> Nancree



I just braise in orange juice when reduced and the carrot are tender add a
little butter to give the sauce some gloss.

Here is a recipe that is a bit more complex from Whole Foods,

Dimitri

Orange-Glazed Carrots
Serves 4
How little it takes-honey, orange and lemon juices, a dab of butter and
hints of spice-to transform carrots from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
4 cups diagonally sliced carrots
2 TB Whole Foods Organic Orange Blossom Honey
1 TB fresh lemon juice
1 TB frozen orange juice concentrate
2 tsp unsalted butter
1/4 tsp grated orange zest
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp salt
large pinch of cinnamon
large pinch of nutmeg
Prep Time: 25 minutes
In large covered skillet, bring 1" of water to a boil over high heat. Add
carrots and return to a boil, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until
carrots are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Reserving 1 TB of cooking liquid, drain
carrots in a colander.
Wipe skillet dry. Add reserved cooking liquid, honey, lemon juice, orange
juice concentrate, butter, orange zest, pepper, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg,
and place over medium heat. Cook mixture, stirring, until heated through.


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Gregory Morrow
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Dimitri wrote:

> "nancree" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
> > recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
> > and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> > TIA
> > Nancree

>
>
> I just braise in orange juice when reduced and the carrot are tender add a
> little butter to give the sauce some gloss.



Add some toasted sesame seeds as garnish, gives a nice flourish...

--
Best
Greg



  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
 
Posts: n/a
Default


nancree wrote:
> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has

a
> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and

butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> TIA
> Nancree


I just throw in the butter & brown sugar without measuring ;-) If I'm
using 2 15-oz. or so cans of carrots, I drain almost all the juice and
use about 4 T. butter, and then about 1/4 C. of brown sugar. Whatever
looks right, mostly.

N.

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Sheldon
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Dimitri wrote:
>
> > "nancree" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It

has a
> > > recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and

butter
> > > and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> > > TIA
> > > Nancree

> >
> >
> > I just braise in orange juice when reduced and the carrot are

tender add a
> > little butter to give the sauce some gloss.

>
>
> Add some toasted sesame seeds as garnish, gives a nice flourish...


Add a splash of dark rum, guzzle the remainder, givshes a nicshe hyigh.
. .

S/

  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
nancree
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks to all for the caramelized carrot ideas. They will be useful.
My favorite thing about the Peg Bracken "I Hate to Cook Book" series
was the chapter headings, with their subtitles. Two that I remember
a
"Last Minute Suppers, or--How to get the Chenille Marks off your face
before your Husband Comes Home".
and
"Pot Luck Dinners, or--How to bring the Water for the Lemonade".

Anyone else remember more of them?
Nancree

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Ruddell
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In .com> Sheldon wrote:
>
> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> Dimitri wrote:
>>
>> > "nancree" > wrote in message
>> > oups.com...
>> > > Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It

> has a
>> > > recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and

> butter
>> > > and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
>> > > TIA
>> > > Nancree
>> >
>> >
>> > I just braise in orange juice when reduced and the carrot are

> tender add a
>> > little butter to give the sauce some gloss.

>>
>>
>> Add some toasted sesame seeds as garnish, gives a nice flourish...

>
> Add a splash of dark rum, guzzle the remainder, givshes a nicshe hyigh.


Sigh, oh those daze are gone :-(


--
Cheers

Dennis

Remove 'Elle-Kabong' to reply
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article .com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> Thanks to all for the caramelized carrot ideas. They will be useful.
> My favorite thing about the Peg Bracken "I Hate to Cook Book" series
> was the chapter headings, with their subtitles. Two that I remember
> a
> "Last Minute Suppers, or--How to get the Chenille Marks off your face
> before your Husband Comes Home".
> and
> "Pot Luck Dinners, or--How to bring the Water for the Lemonade".
>
> Anyone else remember more of them?
> Nancree



Counter Attack - Paddling Through The Combat Zone
Cooking if Alone - Eating With Your Shoes Off
The Daily Antilcimax - Entrées For The Simple-Minded & The Pure In Heart
Spuds and Other Starches - Or Ballast Is A Girl's Best Friend
Luncheon for the Girls - Or Wait Till You Taste Maybelle's Peanut Butter
Aspic
Stealing from Knowledgeable People - I Seen Her When She Done It But I
Never Let On
Last Minute Suppers - Or This Is The Story Of Your Life (note the change
in subtitles from your version).
My titles are from The Compleat I Hate To Cook Book
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Melba's Jammin'
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article .com>,
"nancree" > wrote:

> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??
> TIA
> Nancree
>

Su
Company Carrots
(Through the ages, people have gone to enormous trouble to camouflage
carrots. Once I saw a recipe that called for carrots, strained honey,
marjram, grated cheese, and chestnuts, which is like sewing diamond
buttons on denim jeans.)

Cut a reasonable number of carrots into strips - so you have 2 cupfuls,
say. Cook them till they're tender and drain them. Then mix these
things together in a heavy pan:
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
juice of half a lemon

Add the carrots and sauté them about 10 minutes, stirring so that all
the strips get well acquainted with the sauce.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
"I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Serene
 
Posts: n/a
Default

nancree > wrote:

> Does anyone have an old "I Hate to Cook Book" by Peg Bracken? It has a
> recipe for carrots lightly sauteed in, I think, brown sugar and butter
> and?? "cooked until well-acquainted" ??


Ooh, I loved those books (there were two or three). Wonder if I still
have them. I'll go look while I'm cleaning up today and if I do, I'll
post the recipe.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrots, ginger and brown sugar Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 19 06-07-2012 04:37 PM
Butter, peaches, brown sugar. What's not to like koko General Cooking 12 09-09-2009 03:30 AM
Obsessed with recipes but I HATE to cook! JasonOne General 0 22-06-2009 12:05 PM
Reason NOT to cut carrots before you cook/eat them Phil-c General Cooking 5 19-06-2009 02:55 PM
Theatre Recipe Book vintage cook book FA Sarah Mc. General Cooking 0 05-11-2004 01:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"