FoodBanter.com

-   -   Carnitas from Costco (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/56847-carnitas-costco.html)

Ginny Sher 20-03-2005 04:00 PM

Carnitas from Costco

Hi, group.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.

That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a whim.
I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.

The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
buy it again.

Ginny

sf 20-03-2005 04:37 PM

It's precooked? Sometimes you just want to heat and eat, so it sounds
like an acceptable alternative to a tacqueria (especially if there
isn't one in your area).

````````````````````````````

sf 20-03-2005 04:38 PM

Ginny Sher 20-03-2005 04:44 PM

On 20 Mar 2005 07:37:57 -0800, "sf" > wrote:

>It's precooked? Sometimes you just want to heat and eat, so it sounds
>like an acceptable alternative to a tacqueria (especially if there
>isn't one in your area).
>
>````````````````````````````
>
>Ginny Sher wrote:
>> Hi, group.
>>
>> Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
>> I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.
>>
>> That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a

>whim.
>> I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
>> warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
>> sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
>> about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.
>>
>> The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
>> separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good.

>I'd
>> buy it again.
>>
>> Ginny

Yes, it's precooked. I should have mentioned that. It says to nuke 4
minutes, then rest for 2 minutes. Easy as can be...

The salsa I recently bought at Trader Joe's was also pretty good for a
store bought brand. Generally, I dislike those because they taste
funny to me. Maybe it's the preservatives they use.

PaulaY. 20-03-2005 08:09 PM

"Ginny Sher" > wrote in message
> Hi, group.
>
> Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
> I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.
>
> That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a whim.
> I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
> warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
> sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
> about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.
>
> The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
> separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
> buy it again.
>
> Ginny

On a recent trip to Costco, Hubby and I sampled the Carnitas, Barbacoa
and Chili Verde. We liked it so much we bought 3 Carnitas (it's me Fav),
a Barbacoa and Chili Verde for our freezer. It's the best precooked items
I've
purchased from Costco or Sam's. Each item is very easy to prepare and makes
a quick tasty dinner or lunch.

Paula

kalanamak 21-03-2005 12:01 AM

Ginny Sher wrote:

> The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
> separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
> buy it again.

This item is the number one food brought in for the potlucks at work.
One man, who spends I can't tell you how much time going on and on about
his weight and cholesterol, finally got under my skin and I (politely)
read him the label of these as he was chowing down on #6. It shut him up
for at least 20 minutes.

JimLane 21-03-2005 01:27 AM

Ginny Sher wrote:
> Hi, group.
>
> Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
> I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.
>
> That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a whim.
> I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
> warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
> sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
> about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.
>
> The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
> separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
> buy it again.
>
> Ginny

The salsa that is also available is very good. I've sampled all them at
the sampling tables they have set up. I find them a bit salty. The chili
verde is my favorite.

jim

Ginny Sher 21-03-2005 01:40 AM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:01:06 -0800, kalanamak >
wrote:

>Ginny Sher wrote:
>
>> The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
>> separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
>> buy it again.

>This item is the number one food brought in for the potlucks at work.
>One man, who spends I can't tell you how much time going on and on about
>his weight and cholesterol, finally got under my skin and I (politely)
>read him the label of these as he was chowing down on #6. It shut him up
>for at least 20 minutes.

You must really hate this guy... LOL

Ginny Sher 21-03-2005 01:41 AM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:27:59 -0800, JimLane >
wrote:

>Ginny Sher wrote:
>> Hi, group.
>>
>> Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
>> I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.
>>
>> That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a whim.
>> I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
>> warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
>> sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
>> about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.
>>
>> The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
>> separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
>> buy it again.
>>
>> Ginny

>The salsa that is also available is very good. I've sampled all them at
>the sampling tables they have set up. I find them a bit salty. The chili
>verde is my favorite.
>

>jim

I go to Costco so often these days, I'm surprised I haven't seen the
chili verde before... and only recently, the carnitas. I'll be on the
lookout for it on my next visit.

Ginny

Dee Randall 22-03-2005 03:13 PM

"sf" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> It's precooked? Sometimes you just want to heat and eat, so it sounds
> like an acceptable alternative to a tacqueria (especially if there
> isn't one in your area).
>
> ````````````````````````````
>
> Ginny Sher wrote:
>> Hi, group.
>>
>> Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
>> I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.
>>
>> That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a

> whim.
>> I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
>> warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
>> sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
>> about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.
>>
>> The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
>> separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good.

> I'd
>> buy it again.
>>
>> Ginny

Is the carnitas a frozen product? It was mentioned: Carnitas, Barbacoa &
Chili Verdi -- is this one and the same product or they all different
products. I was at our Costco in Virginia, but couldn't find this. Oh,
well -- I couldn't even find canned sauerkraut yesterday.

thanks,
Dee

JimLane 22-03-2005 06:27 PM

Dee Randall wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>It's precooked? Sometimes you just want to heat and eat, so it sounds
>>like an acceptable alternative to a tacqueria (especially if there
>>isn't one in your area).
>>
>>````````````````````````````
>>
>>Ginny Sher wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, group.
>>>
>>>Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
>>>I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.
>>>
>>>That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a

>>whim.
>>
>>>I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
>>>warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
>>>sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
>>>about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.
>>>
>>>The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
>>>separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good.

>>I'd
>>
>>>buy it again.
>>>
>>>Ginny

> Is the carnitas a frozen product? It was mentioned: Carnitas, Barbacoa &
> Chili Verdi -- is this one and the same product or they all different
> products. I was at our Costco in Virginia, but couldn't find this. Oh,
> well -- I couldn't even find canned sauerkraut yesterday.
>
> thanks,
> Dee

Not all CostCo stores carry the same products. Here in San Diego (La
Mesa store), we had the carnitas, birria de res and de pollo, chili
verde, rice, beans and their salsa.

jim

Ginny Sher 22-03-2005 07:11 PM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:13:10 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
roups.com...

>> It's precooked? Sometimes you just want to heat and eat, so it sounds
>> like an acceptable alternative to a tacqueria (especially if there
>> isn't one in your area).
>>
>> ````````````````````````````
>>
>> Ginny Sher wrote:
>>> Hi, group.
>>>
>>> Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
>>> I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.
>>>
>>> That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a

>> whim.
>>> I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
>>> warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
>>> sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
>>> about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.
>>>
>>> The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
>>> separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good.

>> I'd
>>> buy it again.
>>>
>>> Ginny

>Is the carnitas a frozen product? It was mentioned: Carnitas, Barbacoa &
>Chili Verdi -- is this one and the same product or they all different
>products. I was at our Costco in Virginia, but couldn't find this. Oh,
>well -- I couldn't even find canned sauerkraut yesterday.
>
>thanks,
>Dee

They are different items and all are found in the refrigerated deli
section. HTH

Ginny