Old 20-03-2005, 06:23 AM
Corningware

Default How to remove badly burnt on stains on Corningware pot from oven

My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in the
oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

She was roasting vegetables and garlic in olive oil. Needless to say
the dish is a mess with burnt on stains that cannot be removed by
scrubbing etc. It was completely black after charred remains of the
vegetables were scraped off.

I have tried many things but alas this sentimental dish seems to be
dead. The black and brown stains seem to be painted on.

I can send you a pic. It's pretty ugly.

Can you help?

Thanks

Cw5k

Old 20-03-2005, 06:30 AM
jmcquown

Corningware wrote:
My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in the
oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

Did you try 'Bartenders Friend' abrasive cleaner or a Brillo pad? OTOH,
Corningware isn't that expensive - buy another one.

Jill

Old 20-03-2005, 06:39 AM
Steve Pope

Kosher salt and lots of scrubbing is one possibility.
I've used that to rescue enameled cast iron pieces.

Steve
Old 20-03-2005, 06:53 AM
Corningware

Unfortunately the casserole dish is left over from her mother. It is a
SPICE OF LIFE Corningware casserole dish.

Can you get these in stores? I would like to buy her a new one if ...

Someone mentioned baking soda and vinegar. Have you tried this combo?

Thanks

Old 20-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Mar 2005 11:23:36p, Corningware wrote in rec.food.cooking:

My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in the
oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

Use spray on oven cleaner. It won't hurt the Corningware and it will take
off almost anything.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Old 20-03-2005, 11:39 AM
The Cook

"Corningware" wrote:

Unfortunately the casserole dish is left over from her mother. It is a
SPICE OF LIFE Corningware casserole dish.

Can you get these in stores? I would like to buy her a new one if ...

Someone mentioned baking soda and vinegar. Have you tried this combo?

Thanks

Try Ebay. I have found several pieces of Spice of Life there.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Old 20-03-2005, 12:41 PM
No One

Don't know where you live but in the states, you can buy a product called
Dip-It. Sometimes it's with the cleaning supplies sometimes with the coffee
supplies. Removes stains from cups, pottery etc. I've been using it for 30
years to get the corning back to "new" after using it a cople times and it
getting stained.. Worth a try in you can fine it.
-----------------------------------
oups.com...

Old 20-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Sheldon

Corningware wrote:
My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in

the
oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

She was roasting vegetables and garlic in olive oil. Needless to say
the dish is a mess with burnt on stains that cannot be removed by
scrubbing etc. It was completely black after charred remains of the
vegetables were scraped off.

I have tried many things but alas this sentimental dish seems to be
dead. The black and brown stains seem to be painted on.

I can send you a pic. It's pretty ugly.

Can you help?

Perhaps someone will describe my patented ammonia method.

Old 20-03-2005, 01:35 PM
zxcvbob

Corningware wrote:
My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in the
oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

She was roasting vegetables and garlic in olive oil. Needless to say
the dish is a mess with burnt on stains that cannot be removed by
scrubbing etc. It was completely black after charred remains of the
vegetables were scraped off.

I have tried many things but alas this sentimental dish seems to be
dead. The black and brown stains seem to be painted on.

I can send you a pic. It's pretty ugly.

Can you help?

Thanks

Cw5k

Oven cleaner (lye.) It work great on glass or stainless steel too;
don't use it on aluminum.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 20-03-2005, 01:45 PM
Jessica V.

Corningware wrote:
My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in the
oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

She was roasting vegetables and garlic in olive oil. Needless to say
the dish is a mess with burnt on stains that cannot be removed by
scrubbing etc. It was completely black after charred remains of the
vegetables were scraped off.

I have tried many things but alas this sentimental dish seems to be
dead. The black and brown stains seem to be painted on.

I can send you a pic. It's pretty ugly.

Can you help?

Thanks

Cw5k

You have several options. Ammonia works well, the general household
method is to pour ammonia on the stains, then seal the thing in a
plastic bag for several days before removing, rinsing and washing. Oven
cleaner won't hurt corningware, I use one that doesn't require heat and
let it sit for whatever ammount of time stated by the manufacturer. Mr.
Clean or Scotch Magid Eraser sorks well for this sort of thing as well.

Jessica

Old 20-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Steve B.

Dishwashing gel and water 50:50 simmer 15 minutes. wash, repeat as needed.

Steve
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com

Old 20-03-2005, 02:52 PM
BOB

"Corningware" wrote in message
oups.com
My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in
the
oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

She was roasting vegetables and garlic in olive oil. Needless to
say
the dish is a mess with burnt on stains that cannot be removed by
scrubbing etc. It was completely black after charred remains of the
vegetables were scraped off.

I have tried many things but alas this sentimental dish seems to be
dead. The black and brown stains seem to be painted on.

I can send you a pic. It's pretty ugly.

Can you help?

Thanks

Cw5k

You could ask Sheldon for his ammonia-in-a-plastic-bag-burnt-on-crud®
cleaning method.

BOB

Old 20-03-2005, 02:53 PM
BOB

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ps.com
Corningware wrote:
My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in
the oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

She was roasting vegetables and garlic in olive oil. Needless to
say
the dish is a mess with burnt on stains that cannot be removed by
scrubbing etc. It was completely black after charred remains of
the
vegetables were scraped off.

I have tried many things but alas this sentimental dish seems to be
dead. The black and brown stains seem to be painted on.

I can send you a pic. It's pretty ugly.

Can you help?

Perhaps someone will describe my patented ammonia method.

Heh heh. I just suggested that the OP ask you for it!

BOB

Old 20-03-2005, 04:42 PM
Priscilla Ballou

zxcvbob wrote:

Oven cleaner (lye.) It work great on glass or stainless steel too;
don't use it on aluminum.

OK, now you've got me curious. What happens if you use it on aluminum?

Priscilla, visualizing a mushroom cloud
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Old 20-03-2005, 05:02 PM
[email protected]

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:41:50 -0500, "No One" wrote:
snip

"Corningware" wrote in message
roups.com...
My friend accidentally left a Corningware casserole dish(white) in the
oven at 400 degrees for six hours.

She was roasting vegetables and garlic in olive oil. Needless to say
the dish is a mess with burnt on stains that cannot be removed by
scrubbing etc. It was completely black after charred remains of the
vegetables were scraped off.

I have tried many things but alas this sentimental dish seems to be
dead. The black and brown stains seem to be painted on.

I can send you a pic. It's pretty ugly.

If the stains are on the outside as well as the inside, pop it in a
big pot, cover it with water and lots of baking soda, and bring to a
boil, and then turn back down to medium heat. The resulting akali and
heat will loosen most of the burnt food, and once cooled, you can
scrub it off.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

Corningware zxcvbob General Cooking 8 18-07-2014 12:25 PM
Wow!! GoogleGroups is sucking BADLY this AM!! John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 38 13-12-2011 04:46 AM
Need advice: How to remove melted aluminum from oven Sam Cooking Equipment 1 21-10-2005 02:08 AM
The day started badly--a knock on my door. nancree General Cooking 2 23-08-2005 05:53 PM
focaccia: retry of badly edited post kalanamak General Cooking 3 22-04-2004 05:42 AM