Terry Pulliam Burd

Default Recipes That Are Embarrassing To Share?

The DH and I had dinner with friends at Friend A's house last weekend.
One of the dishes she served was an absolutely delicious broccoli
casserole recipe that everyone (except the DH, who hates broccoli)
raved about. I asked if I might have the recipe, which she agreeably
shared. I read it and could almost feel my left eyebrow arching and my
nose curling toward the ceiling, as I read that one of the ingredients
was a jar of Kraft sharp cheddar cheese and another was Campbell's
cream of mushroom soup (Tommy Tango came to mind).

Upon reflection, it occurred to me that I have a number of recipes
that have three things in common with this broccoli casserole: they're
*really* good, they're stupidly simple, and one or more of the
ingredients are boxed, canned, in jars or frozen (IOW, not fresh/from
scratch) and I'm almost embarrassed to give these recipes out. And
when I *do* share the recipe, it's usually with a mildly rueful
disclaimer about how ridiculously easy it is and, yeah, it calls for
boxed/canned/jar/frozen whatsit, and boy is my face red, but it's
*really* good and I think I got it from my third cousin's ex-wife's
aerobics instructor's landlord, but it's *really* good and, although
I'm a *serious* foodie, dammit, and this is, of course, a silly
recipe, it's *really* good...

Anyone else care to come out of his or her Foodie Closet?

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Broccoli Casserole

vegetables

1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 8 oz. sour cream
1 5 oz jar Kraft sharp cheddar cheese
1 onion; finely chopped
1/2 stick Butter
breadcrumbs

Parboil broccoli in boiling water for 3 mins. Drain well and put into
a 9 x13" pan. Heat remaining ingredients over medium-low heat until
smooth. Pour over broccoli and dust with breadcrumbs. (May be prepared
one day ahead and refrigerated; dust with breadcrumbs before baking.
Add 15 mins. to the bake time.)

Bake at 350° for 30 mins.

Contributor: Judy Marshack

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 18 Mar 2005 07:39:12p, Terry Pulliam Burd wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

< snipped for brevity >

> Anyone else care to come out of his or her Foodie Closet?
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Broccoli Casserole

I would like this casserole as well. I'd bet that almost everyone who
cooks has several such recipes in their repertoire.

One that never fails to bring raves, especially in summer, is a cake
recipe I received from a long ago co-worker whose name escapes me. I've
been making this for over 30 years.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tropical Lime Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes Desserts

-----CAKE-----
1 ea Box lemon flavor cake mix
(18.25 oz)
1 Box lime flavor gelatin
(3 oz)
5 Eggs
1 c Crisco Oil
3/4 c Fresh-squeezed orange juice
-----GLAZE-----
1/2 c Fresh-squeezed lime juice
2 c Confectioner's Sugar

Combine dry cake mix and dry gelatin in large mixing bowl. Blend eggs,
oil, and orange juice in a blender for at least 5 minutes. Gradually add
egg mixture to dry ingredients, beating 5 minutes. Bake in greased 9 x
13 baking pan for 45 minutes or until cake tests done, in 350 degree
oven.

When cake tests done, remove from oven and pierce top all over with
fork.

Combine lime juice and confectioner's sugar and spread evenly on top of
cake. This will soak into cake.

Cake needs no frosting, but may be dusted with additional confectioner's
sugar at serving time or served with whipped cream.

NOTE: I use Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
and JELL-O Lime Flavor Gelatin.
Crisco Oil is imperative! Other oils cause the cake to fall.

Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Kilikini

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Anyone else care to come out of his or her Foodie Closet?
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Broccoli Casserole
>
> vegetables
>
> 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
> 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
> 1 8 oz. sour cream
> 1 5 oz jar Kraft sharp cheddar cheese
> 1 onion; finely chopped
> 1/2 stick Butter
> breadcrumbs
>
> Parboil broccoli in boiling water for 3 mins. Drain well and put into
> a 9 x13" pan. Heat remaining ingredients over medium-low heat until
> smooth. Pour over broccoli and dust with breadcrumbs. (May be prepared
> one day ahead and refrigerated; dust with breadcrumbs before baking.
> Add 15 mins. to the bake time.)
>
> Bake at 350° for 30 mins.

Terri, my friend makes this same thing only she adds MAYO to the mix - now
that's embarrassing! LOL

kili

Maverick

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> The DH and I had dinner with friends at Friend A's house last weekend.
> One of the dishes she served was an absolutely delicious broccoli
> casserole recipe that everyone (except the DH, who hates broccoli)
> raved about. I asked if I might have the recipe, which she agreeably
> shared. I read it and could almost feel my left eyebrow arching and my
> nose curling toward the ceiling, as I read that one of the ingredients
> was a jar of Kraft sharp cheddar cheese and another was Campbell's
> cream of mushroom soup (Tommy Tango came to mind).
>
> Upon reflection, it occurred to me that I have a number of recipes
> that have three things in common with this broccoli casserole: they're
> *really* good, they're stupidly simple, and one or more of the
> ingredients are boxed, canned, in jars or frozen (IOW, not fresh/from
> scratch) and I'm almost embarrassed to give these recipes out. And
> when I *do* share the recipe, it's usually with a mildly rueful
> disclaimer about how ridiculously easy it is and, yeah, it calls for
> boxed/canned/jar/frozen whatsit, and boy is my face red, but it's
> *really* good and I think I got it from my third cousin's ex-wife's
> aerobics instructor's landlord, but it's *really* good and, although
> I'm a *serious* foodie, dammit, and this is, of course, a silly
> recipe, it's *really* good...

Hey, if it tastes good, why make excuses for it?

> Anyone else care to come out of his or her Foodie Closet?

I guess I'm not that serious a foodie yet. If I try a recipe and everyone
likes it, I keep it. To each his own.

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Broccoli Casserole
>
> vegetables
>
> 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
> 2 cans cream of mushroom soup

This sounds like a nice recipe but I wouldn't go out of my way to make a
cream of mushroom soup for it.

> 1 8 oz. sour cream

I don't even know how to make sour cream. The store is my friend.

> 1 5 oz jar Kraft sharp cheddar cheese

ditto

> 1 onion; finely chopped

I can do this!

> 1/2 stick Butter

Another run to the store. ;->
> breadcrumbs

While I'm at at the store...

> Parboil broccoli in boiling water for 3 mins. Drain well and put into
> a 9 x13" pan. Heat remaining ingredients over medium-low heat until
> smooth. Pour over broccoli and dust with breadcrumbs. (May be prepared
> one day ahead and refrigerated; dust with breadcrumbs before baking.
> Add 15 mins. to the bake time.)
>
> Bake at 350° for 30 mins.

Ok, this recipe calls for 30 minutes in the oven. If I had to make
everything else by hand, we'd be eating it by what, next Thursday?

> Contributor: Judy Marshack
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

I'm sorry, Terry, but I just don't see why you'd be embarrassed to share
this recipe. I grew up in a working-class family. While we never had to
resort to things like hamburger helper, My mom always had a hot dinner ready
for us every night. The meals may not have been served at a 5 star
restaurant but we ate pretty damn good and didn't go to bed hungry!

I tend to pick and choose what new recipe I'm going to make for the family
"special meal but make sure it's done before pizza hut closes" night and if
a can of "cream of mushroom soup" will fit the bill then I will use it.

Bret

ps. I grabbed a copy of this recipe since it looks so good!

ravinwulf

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:13:50 GMT, "Kilikini"
> wrote:

>Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>>
>> Anyone else care to come out of his or her Foodie Closet?
>>
>> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>>
>> Broccoli Casserole
>>
>> vegetables
>>
>> 1 pound broccoli, cut into florets
>> 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
>> 1 8 oz. sour cream
>> 1 5 oz jar Kraft sharp cheddar cheese
>> 1 onion; finely chopped
>> 1/2 stick Butter
>> breadcrumbs
>>
>> Parboil broccoli in boiling water for 3 mins. Drain well and put into
>> a 9 x13" pan. Heat remaining ingredients over medium-low heat until
>> smooth. Pour over broccoli and dust with breadcrumbs. (May be prepared
>> one day ahead and refrigerated; dust with breadcrumbs before baking.
>> Add 15 mins. to the bake time.)
>>
>> Bake at 350° for 30 mins.
>>

>Terri, my friend makes this same thing only she adds MAYO to the mix - now
>that's embarrassing! LOL

Our "family" broccoli casserole is similar, except it uses two 10 oz.
boxes of frozen chopped broccoli, two 5 oz. rolls of Kraft garlic
cheese spread, and a couple of 4 oz. cans of sliced mushrooms. Oh, and
it doesn't have sour cream. The onions and mushrooms are sauteed in
butter first, then everything but the broccoli is melted together,
then the broccoli (prepared per the package directions) is added and
it gets baked for 20 minutes or so. It's considered essential at all
holiday gatherings. And, yeah, it is pretty tasty.

Regards,
Tracy R.

AlleyGator

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>Anyone else care to come out of his or her Foodie Closet?

We have a lot of them. But I'll follwo the lead for now with another
broc casserole. It's actually good, considering . . . . .
1 Can cream of mushroom
1-1/2 sticks of butter (must be why it's good)
1/2 cup onion
1/2 cup celery
1/2 cup cheese whiz
1 cup cooked rice
1 pkg frozen chopped brocolli
Saute onion in the butter, stir in the cheese whiz and heat. Add all
but the soup, pour into baking dish, put the soup on top. Bake 350 F
for 30 minutes.

Whew! I finally feel free.

Oops--for the Cream of Crab Soup---the original recipe calls for two
tbs. of mayo--but I omitted that when I made it to lighten it up a
bit....
Stephanie

Okay everyone--here's mine:

Easy Cream Of Crab Soup
1 can condensed cream of celery soup
1 can condensed cream of potato soup
2 soup cans of milk
Old Bay Seasoning to taste
16 oz crabmeat, picked and cleaned

Blend soups, milk and mayonnaise in pot.
Add crabmeat, season with Old Bay and heat through.
Stephanie in PA

jmcquown

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> The DH and I had dinner with friends at Friend A's house last weekend.
> One of the dishes she served was an absolutely delicious broccoli
> casserole recipe that everyone (except the DH, who hates broccoli)
> raved about. I asked if I might have the recipe, which she agreeably
> shared. I read it and could almost feel my left eyebrow arching and my
> nose curling toward the ceiling, as I read that one of the ingredients
> was a jar of Kraft sharp cheddar cheese and another was Campbell's
> cream of mushroom soup (Tommy Tango came to mind).

Hey, if it was delicious, what does it matter the jarred "cheese" and cream
of mushroom soup?

> Upon reflection, it occurred to me that I have a number of recipes
> that have three things in common with this broccoli casserole: they're
> *really* good, they're stupidly simple, and one or more of the
> ingredients are boxed, canned, in jars or frozen (IOW, not fresh/from
> scratch) and I'm almost embarrassed to give these recipes out.

(snippage)
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

See, I don't "get" this attitude. Sure, I prefer to cook from scratch *now*
but I wasn't born knowing how to cook. People who aren't that into cooking
find it easier to use pre-fab ingredients; that's okay with me. Nothing to
be embarrassed about.

Jill

Peter Aitken

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> The DH and I had dinner with friends at Friend A's house last weekend.
> One of the dishes she served was an absolutely delicious broccoli
> casserole recipe that everyone (except the DH, who hates broccoli)
> raved about. I asked if I might have the recipe, which she agreeably
> shared. I read it and could almost feel my left eyebrow arching and my
> nose curling toward the ceiling, as I read that one of the ingredients
> was a jar of Kraft sharp cheddar cheese and another was Campbell's
> cream of mushroom soup (Tommy Tango came to mind).
>
> Upon reflection, it occurred to me that I have a number of recipes
> that have three things in common with this broccoli casserole: they're
> *really* good, they're stupidly simple, and one or more of the
> ingredients are boxed, canned, in jars or frozen (IOW, not fresh/from
> scratch) and I'm almost embarrassed to give these recipes out. And
> when I *do* share the recipe, it's usually with a mildly rueful
> disclaimer about how ridiculously easy it is and, yeah, it calls for
> boxed/canned/jar/frozen whatsit, and boy is my face red, but it's
> *really* good and I think I got it from my third cousin's ex-wife's
> aerobics instructor's landlord, but it's *really* good and, although
> I'm a *serious* foodie, dammit, and this is, of course, a silly
> recipe, it's *really* good...

I think it's s sign of a true "foodie" to appreciate good food regardless of
the pedigree of the ingredients. It's all too common for people to try to
show what good taste they have by turning their nose up at anything that
does not have a fancy name and price tag and particularly at anything that
is "ordinary supermarket food."

--
Peter Aitken

salgud

I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you, then
fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a recipe
that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's just food.
I've seen some of that snobbery here, and find it annoying. It seems
like more and more people are becoming food snobs and wine snobs and,
the biggy, clothing snobs! Gotta have that label. If it says YSL on my
shirt, I must be better than you. Pathetic!
To be honest, I like Campbell's basic old cream of muchroom soup with a
peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk. With, gasp!,
plain old grape jelly! Basic comfort food since I was a little kid. And
I like to cook up fancy "gourmet" meals for me and my friends. Neither
makes me better or worse than anyone else. Eclectic maybe, but nothing
else.
Come to think of it, maybe I am a gourmet. I like my Campbell's
mushroom soup made with milk, not water! Gee, I guess that makes me
superior to those of you who make it with water!

Ophelia

"salgud" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you, then
> fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a recipe
> that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's just food.
> I've seen some of that snobbery here, and find it annoying. It seems
> like more and more people are becoming food snobs and wine snobs and,
> the biggy, clothing snobs! Gotta have that label. If it says YSL on my
> shirt, I must be better than you. Pathetic!
> To be honest, I like Campbell's basic old cream of muchroom soup with a
> peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk. With, gasp!,
> plain old grape jelly! Basic comfort food since I was a little kid. And
> I like to cook up fancy "gourmet" meals for me and my friends. Neither
> makes me better or worse than anyone else. Eclectic maybe, but nothing
> else.
> Come to think of it, maybe I am a gourmet. I like my Campbell's
> mushroom soup made with milk, not water! Gee, I guess that makes me
> superior to those of you who make it with water!

Comfort food goes beyond any snobbery What is your favourite?

Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.

Ophelia
Scotland

AlleyGator

"salgud" > wrote:

>I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you, then
>fix it up and enjoy itl. . . . . .
>To be honest, I like Campbell's basic old cream of muchroom soup with a
>peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk. With, gasp!,
>plain old grape jelly! Basic comfort food since I was a little kid.

As an off-topic side note. Yesterday, an old friend talked me into
going with him to his VFW post for lunch. Not wanting to offend, I
said "great - (gag in my mind)". Sure, no problem - I don't mind
driving 50 miles for an incredibly inedible plate of cow-dung . Well,
let me tell you - for 10 bucks, including a 2+ dollar tip, I had a
great meal. Which included, BTW, the BEST damn cream of mushroom soup
I have ever had. Along with "homemade potato chips", a small salad,
and a 1/2 pound "vee-burger" loaded with mushrooms, onions and green
peppers. Gawd, I wanted to take a 2-hour nap so bad! Vidalia onion
slices (which I ate every bite of) and "bread and butter pickles" and
2 actually good slices of tomato on the side. NONE of this is on my
"allowed to eat" menu (except the salad and tomatoes). Yes, I am sick
as hell today. But it was imminently worth the price.
Janet Bostwick

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. uk...

snip
> Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
> mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.
>
> Ophelia
> Scotland

Ophelia, great!! We can get comfy together. Mashed potato tops my list of
comfort foods.
Janet

Damsel in dis Dress

Ophelia wrote:

> "salgud" > wrote in message
>
> > Come to think of it, maybe I am a gourmet. I like my Campbell's
> > mushroom soup made with milk, not water! Gee, I guess that makes me
> > superior to those of you who make it with water!

LOL! I make my condensed tomato soup with water. Sometimes, I'll toss
some oyster crackers into the soup. Hmmm. Maybe the oyster crackers
make me a gourmet, too.

> Comfort food goes beyond any snobbery What is your favourite?

Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. All mixed together. Looks
like puke, tastes like heaven. (Strangely enough, Crash has always
done the exact same thing.)

Carol

AlleyGator

"Ophelia" > wrote:
Ophelia,
My favorites are Ralston cereal, which is nothing but milled whole
wheat, with brown sugar and milk - chilled corn meal mush fried in
butter - and oatcakes, not the soft kind, but the "biscuit" kind with
a wee bit of sugar included. I recently traced my family line back to
Sarah Campbell (spelling?), from Scotland in the early 1600's.. Damn
the massacre of Glencoe, I'm still proud to be a Campbell. My dream
is to visit someday - although it's highly unlikely.
Ophelia

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...
>>

> snip
>> Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
>> mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.
>>
>> Ophelia
>> Scotland
>>>

> Ophelia, great!! We can get comfy together. Mashed potato tops my list
> of comfort foods.

Right! I will make the mashed potato and you bring the butter)

Jed

On 19 Mar 2005 07:11:31 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:

>I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you, then
>fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a recipe
>that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's just food.

Try this one (I swear my mother made this on several occasions when I
was a kid) and tell me a certain amount of food snobbery is not
justified:

Add to lime Jello made normally:

diced celery
pickled pearl onions
canned green peas with juice

Serve on iceburg lettuce.

Yum...

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Mar 2005 08:25:07a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "salgud" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you, then
>> fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a recipe
>> that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's just food.
>> I've seen some of that snobbery here, and find it annoying. It seems
>> like more and more people are becoming food snobs and wine snobs and,
>> the biggy, clothing snobs! Gotta have that label. If it says YSL on my
>> shirt, I must be better than you. Pathetic!
>> To be honest, I like Campbell's basic old cream of muchroom soup with a
>> peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk. With, gasp!,
>> plain old grape jelly! Basic comfort food since I was a little kid. And
>> I like to cook up fancy "gourmet" meals for me and my friends. Neither
>> makes me better or worse than anyone else. Eclectic maybe, but nothing
>> else. Come to think of it, maybe I am a gourmet. I like my Campbell's
>> mushroom soup made with milk, not water! Gee, I guess that makes me
>> superior to those of you who make it with water!

> Comfort food goes beyond any snobbery What is your favourite?
>
> Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
> mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.
>
> Ophelia
> Scotland

Rice pudding. Bread and Butter Pudding. Most canned cream soups made with
milk or light cream.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ophelia

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
> Ophelia,
> My favorites are Ralston cereal, which is nothing but milled whole
> wheat, with brown sugar and milk - chilled corn meal mush fried in
> butter - and oatcakes, not the soft kind, but the "biscuit" kind with
> a wee bit of sugar included.

Ah yessss they are Scottish I eat them with cheese

I recently traced my family line back to
> Sarah Campbell (spelling?), from Scotland in the early 1600's.. Damn
> the massacre of Glencoe, I'm still proud to be a Campbell. My dream
> is to visit someday - although it's highly unlikely.

Well if you do let me know)

Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 19 Mar 2005 08:25:07a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "salgud" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>>I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you, then
>>> fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a recipe
>>> that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's just food.
>>> I've seen some of that snobbery here, and find it annoying. It seems
>>> like more and more people are becoming food snobs and wine snobs and,
>>> the biggy, clothing snobs! Gotta have that label. If it says YSL on my
>>> shirt, I must be better than you. Pathetic!
>>> To be honest, I like Campbell's basic old cream of muchroom soup with a
>>> peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a glass of milk. With, gasp!,
>>> plain old grape jelly! Basic comfort food since I was a little kid. And
>>> I like to cook up fancy "gourmet" meals for me and my friends. Neither
>>> makes me better or worse than anyone else. Eclectic maybe, but nothing
>>> else. Come to think of it, maybe I am a gourmet. I like my Campbell's
>>> mushroom soup made with milk, not water! Gee, I guess that makes me
>>> superior to those of you who make it with water!

>> Comfort food goes beyond any snobbery What is your favourite?
>>
>> Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
>> mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.
>>
>> Ophelia
>> Scotland

> Rice pudding. Bread and Butter Pudding. Most canned cream soups made
> with
> milk or light cream.

Oh yes... rice pudding with a big blob of strawberry jam

zxcvbob

Jed wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2005 07:11:31 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:
>

>>I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you, then
>>fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a recipe
>>that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's just food.

> Try this one (I swear my mother made this on several occasions when I
> was a kid) and tell me a certain amount of food snobbery is not
> justified:
>
> Add to lime Jello made normally:
>
> diced celery
> pickled pearl onions
> canned green peas with juice
>
> Serve on iceburg lettuce.
>
> Yum...

You forgot the Miracle Whip®. And a little grated cheese on top.

Best regards,
Bob
Siobhan Perricone

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:25:07 GMT, "Ophelia" > wrote:

>Comfort food goes beyond any snobbery What is your favourite?
>
>Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
>mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.

It's funny, comfort food is comforting, and this thread is comfortable for
me whenever it comes up. I never tire of reading about people's comfort
foods.

Mine is toasted cheese sammiches made with velveeta and campbell's cream of
tomato soup made with whole milk and a pat of butter added to the bowl when
served. MMmmm I think I'll have that for lunch today

I used to get this when I was home sick, it always makes me feel safe,
warm, and cared for.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh
Sheldon

wrote:

> >I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you,

then
> >fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a recipe
> >that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's just

food.

> Try this one (I swear my mother made this on several occasions when I
> was a kid) and tell me a certain amount of food snobbery is not
> justified:
>
> Add to lime Jello made normally:
>
> diced celery
> pickled pearl onions
> canned green peas with juice
>
> Serve on iceburg lettuce.
>
> Yum...

Jello is a favorite but I don't care to adulterate it, not even with
whipped cream. And it's one of those foods where only Jello brand will
do. Just last night I prepared two packages of Jello brand Wild
Raspberry, apportioned between two large bowls, one for tomorrow and
one I'm eating right now. Yum...

Sheldon

Jed

On 19 Mar 2005 17:43:26 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>> Comfort food goes beyond any snobbery What is your favourite?
>>
>> Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
>> mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.
>>
>> Ophelia
>> Scotland

>Rice pudding. Bread and Butter Pudding. Most canned cream soups made with
>milk or light cream.

I'll admit to the following comfort foods that have stayed with me
since childhood:

Cube steak pan fried with the undiluted contents of one can of
Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup (original) dumped on top. Serve with
boiled frozen peas.

Small shell noodles cooked with onions, garlic, dried oregano, 1 can
tomato sauce, 1 can white chicken, water to cover, and cheddar cheese
for topping. Good cold out of the fridge too.

Jed

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:06:12 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Jed wrote:
>> On 19 Mar 2005 07:11:31 -0800, "salgud" > wrote:
>>

>>>I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you, then
>>>fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a recipe
>>>that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's just food.

>> Try this one (I swear my mother made this on several occasions when I
>> was a kid) and tell me a certain amount of food snobbery is not
>> justified:
>>
>> Add to lime Jello made normally:
>>
>> diced celery
>> pickled pearl onions
>> canned green peas with juice
>>
>> Serve on iceburg lettuce.
>>
>> Yum...
>>

>You forgot the Miracle Whip®. And a little grated cheese on top.

I'd add some capers and anchovies in oil.

Actually, her recipe for black cherry Jello with walnuts, canned
cherries, and red wine was pretty damn good. Probably straight off the
back of a Jello box, but good nonetheless.

I recently tried Jello again after years of not having it and was
disappointed at how bland it was -- Black Cherry, I believe. My memory
(mis)recalls a lot stronger flavor.

salgud

Ok, I take back everything I said above! After reading some of your
comfort foods, like porridge with mashed potatos, jello and strawberry
jam, I've decided to become a hard-core food snob! <vbg>

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Terry Pulliam Burd > said:

<snip>

> Upon reflection, it occurred to me that I have a number of recipes
> that have three things in common with this broccoli casserole: they're
> *really* good, they're stupidly simple, and one or more of the
> ingredients are boxed, canned, in jars or frozen (IOW, not fresh/from
> scratch) and I'm almost embarrassed to give these recipes out. And
> when I *do* share the recipe, it's usually with a mildly rueful
> disclaimer about how ridiculously easy it is and, yeah, it calls for
> boxed/canned/jar/frozen whatsit, and boy is my face red, but it's
> *really* good and I think I got it from my third cousin's ex-wife's
> aerobics instructor's landlord, but it's *really* good and, although
> I'm a *serious* foodie, dammit, and this is, of course, a silly
> recipe, it's *really* good...
>
> Anyone else care to come out of his or her Foodie Closet?

<snip>

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not embarrased to use store bought
canned or boxed ingredients at times. Just yesterday, I had some
very thin pork chops, two people to feed, and a T-ball practice to
get to that evening. I threw them (the chops, not the people) in
the crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup, some raw brown
rice, water, dehydrated garlic & onion, and S&P. DH and DS enjoyed
it, we made it to practice on time, and we didn't cop out and have
fast food junk...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Janet Bostwick" > said:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...

> > Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
> > mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.

> Ophelia, great!! We can get comfy together. Mashed potato tops my list of
> comfort foods.

Aside from pot roast (my favorite Mom-made comfort food), I'd have to
say that Dimitri's creamed tuna is tops on my list:

Creamed Tuna on Toast (Dimitri - RFC)

2 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1½ c. milk
1 can tuna in oil, not drained
¼ C. onion, sautéd (optional)

Heat butter in saucepan over low heat until melted. Stir in flour,
salt, and pepper. Mix with fork. Cook over low heat, add milk,
stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Add tuna.
Toast 6 slices of bread and butter. Place on plate and pour tuna
mixture over toast. Serve with salad and vegetables.

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Damsel in dis Dress" > said:

> LOL! I make my condensed tomato soup with water. Sometimes, I'll toss
> some oyster crackers into the soup. Hmmm. Maybe the oyster crackers
> make me a gourmet, too.

Hey Carol, speaking of condensed soups, my Wal-Mart finally got
some Cream of Onion, so I bought two cans yesterday. I'm going to
try your pork chop recipe within the next week or so, I'll let you
know how it turns out.

> Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn. All mixed together. Looks
> like puke, tastes like heaven. (Strangely enough, Crash has always
> done the exact same thing.)

This sounds like my Father's favorite way of eating cake and ice
cream; just mush it all up in a bowl. It looks nasty, but it's
actually pretty good...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, zxcvbob > said:

> You forgot the Miracle Whip®. And a little grated cheese on top.

You reminded me of a salad my Grandmother used to make; canned pear
halves with a teaspoon of mayonnaise in the center and grated sharp
cheddar on top. Unfortunately, I'm the only person in my house that
likes it, so I rarely make it. I should buy some pears...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is
filled with elf blood." - Frylock, ATHF
jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> Jed wrote:
>> On 19 Mar 2005 07:11:31 -0800, "salgud" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I hate food snobs! Or any kind of snobs! If it tastes good to you,
>>> then fix it up and enjoy itl. Anyone who turns their nose up at a
>>> recipe that uses store bought ingredients is a phoney anyway. It's
>>> just food.

>> Try this one (I swear my mother made this on several occasions when I
>> was a kid) and tell me a certain amount of food snobbery is not
>> justified:
>>
>> Add to lime Jello made normally:
>>
>> diced celery
>> pickled pearl onions
>> canned green peas with juice
>>
>> Serve on iceburg lettuce.
>>
>> Yum...

> Jello is a favorite but I don't care to adulterate it, not even with
> whipped cream. And it's one of those foods where only Jello brand
> will do. Just last night I prepared two packages of Jello brand Wild
> Raspberry, apportioned between two large bowls, one for tomorrow and
> one I'm eating right now. Yum...
>
> Sheldon

I'm with you on that. I hate adulterated Jell-O. You got any of those old
copper Jell-O molds? I have a collection of five of them from my mom from
the 1950's. They are too cute They are packed away in a box someplace.
In my last kitchen I had them hanging on the wall. Mom actually used them -
but no, she never served lime Jell-O filled with shredded carrots or sliced
pears. <G> She let the "lunch-lady" at the school do that.

Jill

Curly Sue

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:11:09 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
> wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:25:07 GMT, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>>Comfort food goes beyond any snobbery What is your favourite?
>>
>>Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
>>mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.

>It's funny, comfort food is comforting, and this thread is comfortable for
>me whenever it comes up. I never tire of reading about people's comfort
>foods.
>
>Mine is toasted cheese sammiches made with velveeta and campbell's cream of
>tomato soup made with whole milk and a pat of butter added to the bowl when
>served. MMmmm I think I'll have that for lunch today
>
>I used to get this when I was home sick, it always makes me feel safe,
>warm, and cared for.

I like reading these threads for the opposite reason- I don't have any
comfort foods and it's sort of interesting seeing what other people
react to in that sense.

Sue(tm)
jmcquown

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:25:07 GMT, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> Comfort food goes beyond any snobbery What is your favourite?
>>
>> Mine is mashed potato with butter, porridge with sugar and milk or
>> mozzorella cheese with basil and tomato.

> It's funny, comfort food is comforting, and this thread is
> comfortable for me whenever it comes up. I never tire of reading
> about people's comfort foods.
>
> Mine is toasted cheese sammiches made with velveeta and campbell's
> cream of tomato soup made with whole milk and a pat of butter added
> to the bowl when served. MMmmm I think I'll have that for lunch today
>
> I used to get this when I was home sick, it always makes me feel safe,
> warm, and cared for.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone

Dang, now you've got me wanting toasted cheese sammiches and tomato soup!
Unfortunately, I'm doing my corned beef & cabbage tonight. Hmmm, that's
comforting enough

Jill

Siobhan Perricone

On 19 Mar 2005 08:32:37 -0800, "Damsel in dis Dress"
> wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "salgud" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Come to think of it, maybe I am a gourmet. I like my Campbell's
>> > mushroom soup made with milk, not water! Gee, I guess that makes me
>> > superior to those of you who make it with water!

>LOL! I make my condensed tomato soup with water. Sometimes, I'll toss
>some oyster crackers into the soup. Hmmm. Maybe the oyster crackers
>make me a gourmet, too.

You fancified city folk with your wild food combinations are too much for
this country girl.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh
I ain't afraid of your Allah
I ain't afraid of your Jesus
I'm afraid of what ya do in the name of your god"
- Holly Near
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Siobhan Perricone > wrote in
:

> I used to get this when I was home sick, it always makes me feel safe,
> warm, and cared for.

A plate of dumplings covered in pan fried (together) onion with white
bread cubes.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Chris Neidecker

I don't cook with things like cream-of soups or Lipton Onion soup mix or
Cheez Whiz, but not because I don't like it...my family won't eat that kind
of stuff. Then again, they wouldn't eat similar things if they were
homemade.

But I know lots of people who not only are not embarrassed by such recipes,
but are proud of them -- if they can throw a handful of no-prep ingredients
into the crockpot in the a.m., work all day, and come home to a house that
smells great and a hot, comforting meal, they're pretty pleased with
themselves.

Anyway, I love going to pot-luck dinners where people bring casseroles...I
get my cream-of-Cheez-Whiz-french-fried-onion fix that way.

Chris

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 19 Mar 2005 10:59:36a, Gal Called J.J. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> One time on Usenet, zxcvbob > said:
>
>> You forgot the Miracle Whip®. And a little grated cheese on top.

> You reminded me of a salad my Grandmother used to make; canned pear
> halves with a teaspoon of mayonnaise in the center and grated sharp
> cheddar on top. Unfortunately, I'm the only person in my house that
> likes it, so I rarely make it. I should buy some pears...

My mom used to make this and we all liked it. She would put half a
maraschino cherry on top of the mayo before adding the bit of grated cheese.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974