Tamara Lim

Default San Diego Restaurants

I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego this summer, I wonder if any
of you know any good restaurants around town.

Nancree

>I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego this summer, I wonder if any
>of you know any good restaurants around town.

---------------------------------
I recommend the Marine Room, right next to the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club.
At one time they had become sort of a semi-tourist restaurant, because of their
location. But they now have a first-class chef who does a wonderful job. The
windows are right on the sand--check the tide tables--when the tide is high it
can even splash on the windows.
Nancree

Nancree

>I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego this summer, I wonder if any
>of you know any good restaurants around town.

---------------------------------
I recommend the Marine Room, right next to the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club.
At one time they had become sort of a semi-tourist restaurant, because of their
location. But they now have a first-class chef who does a wonderful job. The
windows are right on the sand--check the tide tables--when the tide is high it
can even splash on the windows.
Nancree

The Ranger

Tamara Lim > asked in message
newsm59c.16934$QO2.16229@pd7tw1no...
> I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego this summer, I
> wonder if any of you know any good restaurants around town.

Hook up http://groups.google.com and type in sdnet.eats . Or you could
subscribe to that 'group.

Another source, although there's not a lot of agreement among the regulars,
is the Union Tribune. A few of the regulars [again from sdnet.eats] like the
reviews presented in it, others think it's nothing more than back-up
advertising for a fish wrap. <shrug>

Of Clan Ranger's many trips down to SD, I only have one place that I'd
recommend staying away from; the restaurant attached to the Double Tree
Mission Valley. No matter HOW much the Convenience Bug drags at you, go
somewhere else!

The Ranger

The Ranger

Tamara Lim > asked in message
newsm59c.16934$QO2.16229@pd7tw1no...
> I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego this summer, I
> wonder if any of you know any good restaurants around town.

Hook up http://groups.google.com and type in sdnet.eats . Or you could
subscribe to that 'group.

Another source, although there's not a lot of agreement among the regulars,
is the Union Tribune. A few of the regulars [again from sdnet.eats] like the
reviews presented in it, others think it's nothing more than back-up
advertising for a fish wrap. <shrug>

Of Clan Ranger's many trips down to SD, I only have one place that I'd
recommend staying away from; the restaurant attached to the Double Tree
Mission Valley. No matter HOW much the Convenience Bug drags at you, go
somewhere else!

The Ranger

jacqui{JB}

"Tamara Lim" > wrote in message
newsm59c.16934$QO2.16229@pd7tw1no...

> I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego
> this summer, I wonder if any of you know any
> good restaurants around town.

Lessee ...

Breakfast (make a reservation at these places if you're going on the
weekend, unless you plan to show up when they open):
*Hob Nob Hill -- on First Avenue a couple of blocks south of Laurel --
especially the eggs benedict, and always select the coffee cake --
http://www.hobnobhill.com/
*Park House Eatery -- on Park Blvd a couple of blocks south of
Adams -- http://www.parkhouseeatery.com/
Cafe on Park -- on Park Blvd a couple of blocks south of University --
especially the hangtown (hangman? it's been a while) pancakes
(pancakes with chunks of cheddar and sliced fresh jalapeno with an egg
on top) -- http://www.sdpride.com/cafeonpark/index.html
Peet's Coffee -- on University at Fourth -- best coffee in San Diego,
imo -- http://www.peets.com/
Bread & Cie -- on University at Fourth -- best bakery in San Diego,
imo -- don't miss the pumpkin-walnut muffins or the cheddar-jalapeno
bread; the coffee is no slouch either, if you're not taking your
things to go -- very busy on weekends --
http://www.sdreader.com/php/rrshow.php3?id=BREADCIE

Very casual anytime:
La Posta Taco Shop (outdoor Mexican eatery) -- on Third at
Washington -- fabulous rolled tacos and open 24/7 --
http://entertainment.signonsandiego....file?id=167836
Phil's BBQ -- on Goldfinch near Washington -- without a doubt, the
best BBQ I've ever had -- call ahead, they're always busy --
http://www.philsbbq.com/philsbbq/

Dinner:
Red Fox Room -- on El Cajon Blvd a couple of blocks west of Texas --
interesting steak house and bar (despite the review, I don't know that
I'd classify it as a dive; it does have character, though) -- piano
bar, great steaks --
http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip.../bars/rfox.htm
Turf Club -- on 25th between C and Broadway -- now *this* is a dive
(although a safe one) -- grill your own steak, great bar, great fun --
http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/91329
Parallel 33 -- on Washington near Goldfinch -- eclectic little
restaurant with lovely food, inspired by places on or near the 33rd
parallel (San Diego, for instance) --
http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.ph...staurantReview
George's at the Cove -- in La Jolla -- very upscale, incredible
service, incredible food -- http://www.georgesatthecove.com/
Mille Fleurs -- in Rancho Santa Fe -- very upscale, incredible
service, incredible food -- http://www.millefleurs.com/

Drinks: Top of the Hyatt at Seaport Village -- on the 40th floor with
incredible views -- drinks are pricey, but it's worth it

A few of my favorites, anyway. Try to stay away from chain
restaurants -- there's *far* too much good food in San Diego to give
money ot the chains.

Damn, there are times I really miss my hometown.
-j

jacqui{JB}

"Tamara Lim" > wrote in message
> [...]

http://entertainment.signonsandiego.com/profile/91329
Parallel 33 -- on Washington near Goldfinch -- eclectic little
restaurant with lovely food, inspired by places on or near the 33rd
parallel (San Diego, for instance) --
http://www.sdcitybeat.com/article.ph...staurantReview
George's at the Cove -- in La Jolla -- very upscale, incredible
service, incredible food -- http://www.georgesatthecove.com/
Mille Fleurs -- in Rancho Santa Fe -- very upscale, incredible
service, incredible food -- http://www.millefleurs.com/

Drinks: Top of the Hyatt at Seaport Village -- on the 40th floor with
incredible views -- drinks are pricey, but it's worth it

A few of my favorites, anyway. Try to stay away from chain
restaurants -- there's *far* too much good food in San Diego to give
money ot the chains.

Damn, there are times I really miss my hometown.

JimLane

Tamara Lim wrote:
> I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego this summer, I wonder if any
> of you know any good restaurants around town.

You've been referred to sdnet.eats. You can also go here to see some
decent reviews:

www.sdreader.com

It allows you to sort by food type or location.

jim
JimLane

Tamara Lim wrote:
> I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego this summer, I wonder if any
> of you know any good restaurants around town.

You've been referred to sdnet.eats. You can also go here to see some
decent reviews:

www.sdreader.com

It allows you to sort by food type or location.

jim
Nexis

"Tamara Lim" > wrote in message
newsm59c.16934$QO2.16229@pd7tw1no...
> I'm going to be making a trip down to San Diego this summer, I wonder if

any
> of you know any good restaurants around town.

Ok, let's start with breakfast. You can't go wrong with Kono's in Pacific
Beach. It's on the beach, there's a seating area overlooking the ocean, the
food is good and not expensive, and the people are great. It's my favorite
place to go for breakfast and you can follow it with a nice walk down the
boardwalk. About the only downside is that you'll often find a line...but
fear not, it's fast moving! Another good place, which also often has a line,
at least on weekends, is the Broken Yolk also in PB. Great place for
omelet's, and they do a mean waffle. Of course, if you are one who thinks
breakfast should be an indoor activity, there are still some good places!
Hob Nob Hill has a great menu, and the service is outstanding every time
I've been there. And for Sunday Brunch, I haven't been in a while, but the
last time I did, the Hotel Del Coronado was pretty darned good. There's one
more, I can think of that I enjoy, and that is the Original Pancake
House...not IHOP, no. Try the Lingonberry Swedish Pancakes...yummy!

Alrighty then, let's move on to lunch. For sandwiches, soup, etc, try Alex's
Brown Bag in Mr. A's. The people are fantastic, very nice. Ask for samples
of the daily pasta.
There's a new-ish place called Bread on Market, which is downtown, near the
new ballpark. The aromas of baguettes and focaccia is enough to make you
drool! The sandwiches are quite sizeable, so if you're a light eater you may
want to split one with someone else. And while you're there, grab a brownie,
fresh and warm if your timing is good!

There are places that are good for lunch or dinner, so we'll just expand a
little here. The Beach Grass Cafe and it's sister restaurant the Parkhouse
Eatery are both very good. When I was last at Beach Grass, the chef, Tommy
Golden, who is a friendly, and very funny man, heard me mention a breakfast
I'd had in Hawaii, and brought to our table the most divine pineapple upside
down pancakes! (Hey I guess I shoulda mentioned this under breakfast huh?
But really, there's good stuff here for dinner too!)
If you're in a pizza frame of mind, check out Bronx Pizza in Hillcrest. Get
a pie, not the slices, for the best experience. The whitestone is fabulous,
and here, even a simple pepperoni pie is wonderful. Everything is made fresh
on the premises.
China Fun, of Carmel Mountain Road, is a great place for Chinese food. Try
the roasted pork soup with the rice vermicelli noodles...yummy! Other faves
are the orange chicken, and the house special fried rice.
Old Town has some great Mexican restaurants to choose from. For lunch, try
Casa Guadalajara, or Casa de Bandini. The guacamole at Bandini is
scrumptious as is the carne asada. Guadalajara has excellent tamales, and a
mariachi who's got a wonderful voice! For dinner, try El Agave. Preferably
in a cab if you like tequila, since they are also a tequileria! They have
some 750+ kinds of tequila! Try the Nopalli Nopal, which is a cactus leaf
salad with tomatoes and cilantro and avocado and other yummy stuff. For an
entree, try the Sea Bass Ajo y Achiote, which is sea bass in a
garlic-chipotle sauce, or the Fillete Agave, which is a tenderloin steak
with a scrumptious tequila sauce.
For Japanese, for sushi, there are a zillion choices. For a quick lunch,
Ichiban in Hillcrest is good and cheap and they are very nice there. Or, if
you're a sushi fan, and adventurous, go to some place like Sushi Ota or Nobu
and let the chef choose for you. Letting them get creative can reap great
rewards!
For the steak/seafood surf n turf meals, try the Marine Room, which
literally has the waves lapping at the windows at high tide, or the Fish
Market. If you're a fan of shrimp, the Market has a wonderful shrimp
linguini in a garlic cream sauce.

I'm sure there will be a ton of other places I've neglected to mention, but
these are some of the ones we go to because they're good food, and good
service...which is almost as important to me as the food. The one exception
is Casa de Bandini, where the servers often have a bit of a 'tude, but their
efficient enough and the food good enough that I'll put up with it on
occasion.
Enjoy your visit, lemme know if you need some places to visit! LOL

kimberly

Nexis