Serendipity

Default Asian Cooking Q

As a follow-up to my chicken chop suey question, I stopped at the
grocery store for more supplies. I couldn't fine xianxing but I found
oyster sauce and dark sesame oil. There were a couple of different
brands. How do I determine what brand of these to buy? TIA
Sheldon

Serendipity wrote:
> As a follow-up to my chicken chop suey question, I stopped at the
> grocery store for more supplies. I couldn't fine xianxing but I

found
> oyster sauce and dark sesame oil. There were a couple of different
> brands. How do I determine what brand of these to buy? TIA

Methinks you need to invest in a basic Chinese American cook book.
Many Chinese flavorings are very powerful, they need to be used with
much discretion and do not belong in every Chinese American restaurant
type dish. Believe it or not there are not all that many popular
Chinese American restaurant type dishes that use sesame oil and/or
oyster sauce... they definitely do not belong in chop suey, chow mein,
lo mein or subgum chow mein (none of which are traditional Chinese
dishes). By simply purchasing one of each from your stupidmarket's
oriental foods section and using some of each in every dish is no more
Chinese cooking than opening cans of Chun King. Very little of what
you find on the typical Chinese American restaurant menu is part of
traditional Chinese cusine. I would classify Chinese American
restaurant cooking as a separate cusine unto itself.

Btw, in Chinese cooking meats are a seasoning, and used very sparingly.

Sheldon

Damsel in dis Dress

"Sheldon" >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>Methinks you need to invest in a basic Chinese American cook book.

My favorite Chinese cookbook, which is scorned and sneered at by a few
people here, is Betty Crocker's Chinese Cookbook. There are two. The
second is called the New Chinese Cookbook. I like the first one best, but
I believe it's out of print. After loaning mine out and never getting it
back, I bought another copy on eBay. That one got lost when we moved, so I
bought another one on eBay. It's got a dark blue cover.

It's written by Leeann Chin, an immigrant from Canton, China. She owns a
string of restaurants in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. Her stuff is
geared toward American cooks. Here's a copy of a post I made some time
back. Some are from the Betty Crocker book, others are collected from
other sources.

Beef and Broccoli
Chicken Fried Rice
Shrimp Rangoon
Egg Rolls
Pork and Tofu Stir-Fry
Potstickers
Almond Cookies

* Exported from MasterCook *

Beef and Broccoli (with variations)

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beef main dishes
stir-fry vegetables

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
---Beef Prep----
1 pound beef flank
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon ginger root -- finely minced
1 teaspoon garlic -- finely minced
---Vegetable Prep---
1 1/2 pounds broccoli
3 whole green onions -- with tops
---Cornstarch Mixture---
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup oyster sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
---Cooking----
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chicken broth

1. Trim fat from beef; cut beef with grain into 2-inch strips. Cut strips
across grain into 1/8-inch slices. Toss beef, 1 tablespoon of oil, 1
teaspoon of cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, white pepper, ginger, and garlic
in a glass or plastic bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes or
longer.

2. Cut broccoli into florets; place into boiling water. Cover and blanche
for 1 minute; drain. Immediately rinse under cold running water; drain.
Cut green onions into thin slices at the white end, and 2-inch pieces at
the green end.

3. Combine 1/4 cup chicken broth, oyster sauce, and 2 tablespoons of
cornstarch in small bowl. Set aside.

4. Heat wok until 1 or 2 drops of water sizzle and dissipate when
sprinkled into wok. Add 3 tablespoons of oil, rotating wok to coat sides.
Add beef mixture and stir-fry until beef is browned, about 3 minutes.
Remove beef from wok.

5. Add 2 tablespoons oil to wok, rotating wok to coat sides. Add broccoli
and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth; heat to boiling.
Stir in beef and heat to boiling again. Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook
and stir until thickened, about 15 seconds. Garnish with green onions.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"
Source:
"adapted from a recipe in Betty Crocker's Chinese Cookbook"
Copyright:
"1991"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 295 Calories; 22g Fat (66.1%
calories from fat); 18g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 39mg
Cholesterol; 298mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1
Vegetable; 3 Fat.

NOTES : May replace beef with 1 pound lean pork loin.
Alternative vegetables:
Boy choy, cut on the diagonal; leaves roughly chopped (1 pound)
Green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces (1 pound)
Pea pods, ends and string removed (8 ounces)
Combination julienned carrots, red peppers, and onions
Additional vegetables:
mushrooms
water chestnuts
bamboo shoots

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Fried Rice

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : chicken rice
side dishes stir-fry

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
---Rice Prep---
1 cup rice -- washed
1 cup water
---Chicken Prep---
2 chicken breast halves -- skinned and boned
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
dash white pepper
---Other Prep---
2 eggs -- slightly beaten
4 whole green onions -- chopped
1 cup bean sprouts -- rinsed
---Cooking---
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
dash white pepper
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

1. Place raw rice in 2-quart saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover
rice. Wash rice by rubbing gently between fingers; drain. Repeat washing
rice until water is clear (5 to 6 times). Drain. Add 1 cup water; heat to
boiling. Cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer until liquid is absorbed,
about 20 minutes. Set aside.

2. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch pieces. Toss chicken, cornstarch, and dash
of white pepper.

3. Prepare eggs, green onions, and bean sprouts for cooking. Set aside,
in separate bowls.

4. Heat wok until 1 or 2 drops of water sizzle and dissipate when
sprinkled in wok. Add 1 tablespoon oil; rotate wok to coat side. Add
eggs; cook and stir until eggs are thickened throughout but still moist.
Remove eggs from wok.

5. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in wok, coating sides of wok. Add chicken and
stir-fry until meat turns white. Add rice and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir
in soy sauce and a dash of white pepper. Add eggs, bean sprouts, then
green onions, continuously moving food in the wok for about 30 seconds.
Sprinkle with sesame oil, toss, and serve.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"
Source:
"adapted from Betty Crocker's Chinese Cookbook"
Copyright:
"1981"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 293 Calories; 13g Fat (41.6%
calories from fat); 15g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 93mg
Cholesterol; 311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : May substitute chicken with fresh or leftover diced pork, beef, or
shrimp.
Add-ins:
mushrooms
peas (fresh, frozen or pea pods)
carrots, finely diced

* Exported from MasterCook *

Shrimp Rangoon

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 60 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
16 ounces cream cheese -- softened
4 ounces canned shrimp -- drained and chopped
3 whole green onions -- chopped
1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
dash Tabasco sauce
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
60 won-ton wrappers -- (12 ounce package)

In medium bowl, combine all ingredients except won ton wrappers and mix
until well blended.

Using a pastry brush, moisten edges of won ton wrapper with water. Place
scant teaspoon of filling in center of won ton wrapper. Fold in half to
form triangle, pressing edges to seal. Pull bottom corners across and
overlap slightly; moisten one corner and press to seal tips together.

Fry in deep fryer at 350 F, turning once, until golden brown on both sides
(about 4 minutes).

May be frozen until needed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 52 Calories; 3g Fat (48.3% calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 12mg
Cholesterol; 75mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

Serving Ideas : Serve plain, or with seafood cocktail sauce.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Egg Rolls

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
1/2 pound ground pork, lean
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
dash white pepper
8 cups water
2 1/2 pounds cabbage -- finely shredded
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound shrimp, cooked -- finely chopped
1/3 cup green onions -- finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon five-spice powder
18 egg roll wrappers
1 large egg -- beaten
vegetable oil

Mix pork, 1/4 tsp. salt, cornstarch, soy sauce, and white pepper. Cover
and refrigerate about 20 minutes.

Heat water to boiling in a stockpot or dutch oven; add cabbage. Drain;
rinse cabbage in cold water until cold. Drain thoroughly; remove excess
water by squeezing cabbage. (A salad spinner works nicely for this, too)

Heat wok until very hot. Add 2 tbsp. vegetable oil; tilt wok to coat
sides. Add pork; stir-fry 3 minutes, or until pork is no longer pink.
Stir in cabbage, shrimp, green onions, 1/2 tsp. salt, and five-spice
powder. Remove cabbage mixture from wok; cool.

Place 1/2 cup cabbage mixture slightly below the center of egg roll
wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with plastic wrap to keep the pliable.)
Fold corner of egg roll wrapper closest to filling over filling, tucking
the point under. Fold in and overlap the two side corners. Brush fourth
corner with egg; roll up to seal. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers.
(Cover filled egg rolls with plastic wrap to keep them from drying out.)

Heat two inches of vegetable oil in wok to 350F. Fry 4 or 5 egg rolls at a
time for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, turning two or three times;
drain on paper towels.

Serve with hot mustard or sweet and sour sauce, if desired.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"
Source:
"adapted from Betty Crocker's 'New Chinese Cookbook' by Leeann Chin"
Copyright:
"1990"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 139 Calories; 3g Fat (16.4% calories
from fat); 7g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 38mg
Cholesterol; 328mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2
Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pork and Tofu Stir-Fry

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : pork stir-fry

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
---Sauce---
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons hot bean paste
2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 pound ground pork -- (75% lean)
4 teaspoons finely minced garlic
4 teaspoons finely minced ginger
1 pound firm tofu -- prepared as directed below
1 cup frozen peas -- thawed
1 tablespoon cornstarch -- dissolved in...
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
roughly chopped cashews -- for garnish
steamed rice -- as accompaniment

Prepare tofu:
Freeze block of tofu in its package. Thaw, and press liquid out by setting
a plate on the tofu, and a heavy can on the plate. Squeeze the tofu gently
to remove even more water. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes.

Make sauce:
Stir together broth, bean paste, and soy sauce. Set aside.

Stir-fry pork:
Heat a wok or large heavy skillet over high heat until hot and add 1 1/2
tablespoons corn oil, swirling to coat. Add pork and stir-fry, breaking up
lumps and adding remaining 1/2 tablespoon corn oil if meat sticks, until no
longer pink. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry over moderate heat until
very fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Finish stir-fry:
Stir reserved sauce, then add to pork and bring to a simmer. Slide tofu and
peas into sauce, stirring gently.

Stir cornstarch mixture and add to stir-fry. Bring to a boil, stirring
gently, and cook until thickened and glossy, about 15 seconds.

Turn off heat and sprinkle with sesame oil and 2 tablespoons green onion.
Stir once or twice, then serve sprinkled with remaining tablespoon green
onion and cashews.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"
Source:
"adapted from a recipe by Gourmet"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 341 Calories; 24g Fat (62.4%
calories from fat); 21g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 41mg
Cholesterol; 644mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Potstickers

Recipe By :Hag
Serving Size : 38 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : appetizers

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
1 pound ground pork
1 cup cabbage -- finely shredded
1/2 cup green onion -- finely chopped
1/2 cup grated carrots
3 tablespoons fresh ginger -- fine minced
1 teaspoon MSG
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
38 potsticker wrappers -- (12-oz. package)
chicken stock
---Sweet Dipping Sauce---
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons white vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
shreds of ginger
---Salty Dipping Sauce---
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/4 teaspoon lime juice

Mix all ingredients (except the potsticker wrappers and chicken stock)
thoroughly. Lay a potsticker wrapper on potsticker press. Brush the edges
with water. Place about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons of meat mixture into the
center of the wrapper. Crimp.

Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add about 2
teaspoons vegetable oil. Arrange potstickers in the pan. Fry until the
side is browned, about 1 minute. Flip the potsickers.

Add enough stock to come halfway up the sides of pot stickers. Cover and
simmer until stock is almost absorbed, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook
until stock is completely absorbed and bottoms of pot stickers are crisp.

Sweet Dipping Sauce:
Mix well to dissolve completely. Refrigerate until serving.

Salty Dipping Sauce:
Mix well and let set over night, chilling before serving.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 67 Calories; 3g Fat (35.1% calories
from fat); 3g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 9mg
Cholesterol; 263mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0
Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Chicago Cook-In 2002

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond Cookies

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : cookies desserts

-------- ------------ ------------------------------*--
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
2 teaspoons almond extract
1 egg -- slightly beaten
8 ounces blanched almonds

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening. Stir in
almond extract and egg.
3. Knead until a soft dough is formed. Shape into balls the size of
walnuts.
4. Place on baking sheets and flatten slightly. Make a dent about 1/4 inch
deep in the center of each cookie and press an almond into the center.
5. Bake for about 12 minutes.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 5358 Calories; 332g Fat (54.7%
calories from fat); 91g Protein; 528g Carbohydrate; 26g Dietary Fiber;
187mg Cholesterol; 1879mg Sodium. Exchanges: 21 1/2 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean
Meat; 62 1/2 Fat; 13 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

Aaron Bergman

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Serendipity wrote:
> > As a follow-up to my chicken chop suey question, I stopped at the
> > grocery store for more supplies. I couldn't fine xianxing but I

> found
> > oyster sauce and dark sesame oil. There were a couple of different
> > brands. How do I determine what brand of these to buy? TIA

Try 'em. I like Lee Kum Kee for oyster sauce. I haven't noticed much
differences among sesame oils.

Aaron
aem

Serendipity wrote:
> As a follow-up to my chicken chop suey question, I stopped at the
> grocery store for more supplies. I couldn't fine xianxing but I
> found oyster sauce and dark sesame oil. There were a couple of
> different brands. How do I determine what brand of these to buy?

TIA

Any sesame oil that says "100% pure" on the label will do. The label
will probably say 'toasted' or 'roasted' somewhere, too. As others
have noted, use it as a final aromatic seasoning. (It's also good in
omelets or scrambled eggs--maybe 5 drops mixed in with 2 eggs.)

Making oyster sauce is an involved process, and there's quite a
variation in resulting taste. The advice to look for 'oyster
extract(-ives)' as the #1 ingredient is good. Ken Hom, a well-regarded
Chinese cookbook author, advises buying the most expensive, because you
don't want an inferior one. He probably has a favorite brand but
couldn't name it in a book. We currently have two in the cupboard, of
which we like the taste of the Lee Kum Kee brand better. It's made in
the U.S. but lists oyster first in the ingredients list. The other
brand is made in Hong Kong but lists water, sugar and cornstarch before
it gets to the oyster, which should have warned us away from it.

Shoaxing rice wine is good to cook with, but a dry sherry is a fine
substitute.

Getting a cookbook would be a good step, but don't get a "Chinese
American" one. Nowadays there is no need to 'dumb down' any cuisine.
Not only are ingredients from around the world more available than ever
before, people's palates are more adventurous. Look for a book with a
section on ingredients and another section on some techniques, not just
recipes. And have fun with it. The variety of Chinese cooking is
marvelous.

-aem

Serendipity

Sheldon wrote:

> Serendipity wrote:
>
>>As a follow-up to my chicken chop suey question, I stopped at the
>>grocery store for more supplies. I couldn't fine xianxing but I

> found
>
>>oyster sauce and dark sesame oil. There were a couple of different
>>brands. How do I determine what brand of these to buy? TIA

> Methinks you need to invest in a basic Chinese American cook book.
> Many Chinese flavorings are very powerful, they need to be used with
> much discretion and do not belong in every Chinese American restaurant
> type dish. Believe it or not there are not all that many popular
> Chinese American restaurant type dishes that use sesame oil and/or
> oyster sauce... they definitely do not belong in chop suey, chow mein,
> lo mein or subgum chow mein (none of which are traditional Chinese
> dishes). By simply purchasing one of each from your stupidmarket's
> oriental foods section and using some of each in every dish is no more
> Chinese cooking than opening cans of Chun King. Very little of what
> you find on the typical Chinese American restaurant menu is part of
> traditional Chinese cusine. I would classify Chinese American
> restaurant cooking as a separate cusine unto itself.
>
> Btw, in Chinese cooking meats are a seasoning, and used very sparingly.

Sheldon, I appreciate the advice. I will admit to being very new at
trying Chinese cooking. We enjoy it so much out that I thought I would
try it at home. I've been watching the cooking shows. Unfortunately,
the only dish I have mastered is refried (pork fried) rice and a few
simple stir fries Specifically, I would like to make a good chicken
chop suey, beef and broccoli (mine isn't too bad but still not quite
right), and won ton soup. I wouldn't mind being able to make spring
rolls and egg rolls, neither of which I have tried. Would you be so
kind as to recommend a good basic Chinese cookbook? TIA

> Sheldon

Serendipity

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> "Sheldon" >, if that's their real name, wrote:
>

>>Methinks you need to invest in a basic Chinese American cook book.

> My favorite Chinese cookbook, which is scorned and sneered at by a few
> people here, is Betty Crocker's Chinese Cookbook. There are two. The
> second is called the New Chinese Cookbook. I like the first one best, but
> I believe it's out of print. After loaning mine out and never getting it
> back, I bought another copy on eBay. That one got lost when we moved, so I
> bought another one on eBay. It's got a dark blue cover.
>
> It's written by Leeann Chin, an immigrant from Canton, China. She owns a
> string of restaurants in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area. Her stuff is
> geared toward American cooks. Here's a copy of a post I made some time
> back. Some are from the Betty Crocker book, others are collected from
> other sources.

<snip of very generous offering of recipes>

Thankyou so very much!!! I've printed them and off to experiment. I
really appreciate your help!

aem

Serendipity wrote:
> [snip] Specifically, I would like to make a good chicken
> chop suey, beef and broccoli (mine isn't too bad but still not quite
> right), [snip]

Beef and broccoli tips. Smash a garlic clove and put it in the oil
when you first start. Stir it around until it browns, then remove it
after it has flavored the oil and before it burns. Peel the broccoli
stems and slice them diagonally about 1/4" thick, and use them with the
flowerets. Finish the dish with a couple of TB of oyster sauce.
Finally, look for Chinese broccoli in your produce section or in an
Asian market if you have one. Often called 'gai lan' (with alternate
spellings). It also takes very well to oyster sauce.

-aem

Ariane Jenkins

On 14 Mar 2005 13:43:37 -0800, aem > wrote:
[snip]
> Getting a cookbook would be a good step, but don't get a "Chinese
> American" one. Nowadays there is no need to 'dumb down' any cuisine.
> Not only are ingredients from around the world more available than ever
> before, people's palates are more adventurous. Look for a book with a
> section on ingredients and another section on some techniques, not just
> recipes. And have fun with it. The variety of Chinese cooking is
> marvelous.

Ordinarily I might agree, but the OP's case is a bit different. IIRC,
the dishes she expressed an interest in _are_ more Americanized dishes: chop
suey, beef and broccoli, etc. An authentic Chinese cookbook which shows you
how to make cold jellyfish salad, char siu bao and 8 treasure sticky rice may
not cover those things. Maybe a "Chinese American" cookbook is what's called
for in this situation. It's not ideal for people interested in eating the
"real stuff", but not everyone wants that.

Ariane
--
Dysfunction: The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying
relationships is you.

aem

Ariane Jenkins wrote:

> Ordinarily I might agree, but the OP's case is a bit different.

IIRC,
> the dishes she expressed an interest in _are_ more Americanized

dishes: chop
> suey, beef and broccoli, etc. An authentic Chinese cookbook which

shows you
> how to make cold jellyfish salad, char siu bao and 8 treasure sticky

rice may
> not cover those things. Maybe a "Chinese American" cookbook is

what's called
> for in this situation. It's not ideal for people interested in

eating the
> "real stuff", but not everyone wants that.

Okay, how about Gloria Miller's "Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook." It
is a little dated now as to ingredients (she couldn't anticipate how
international the distribution of foodstuffs became), but it's a good
introduction to techniques, and the recipes range from the very
familiar to the exotic. It also doesn't limit itself to stirfrying.

-aem

Ariane Jenkins

On 14 Mar 2005 16:28:11 -0800, aem > wrote:

> Okay, how about Gloria Miller's "Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook." It
> is a little dated now as to ingredients (she couldn't anticipate how
> international the distribution of foodstuffs became), but it's a good
> introduction to techniques, and the recipes range from the very
> familiar to the exotic. It also doesn't limit itself to stirfrying.

Hehe, judging from its massive size, it doesn't limit itself to
anything. ;D I have it, although I haven't made many things out of it. It's
a good read, although it might be a tad intimidating to someone who's new to
Chinese cuisine. IIRC, she does have a nice discussion about the different
regional cuisines in China.

Ariane

RLK

"Serendipity" > wrote in message
> As a follow-up to my chicken chop suey question, I stopped at the grocery
> store for more supplies. I couldn't fine xianxing but I found oyster
> sauce and dark sesame oil. There were a couple of different brands. How
> do I determine what brand of these to buy? TIA

If you are interested in a guide to bring with you shopping, try this book:

Linda Bladholm's
The Asian Grocery Store Demystified

This spiral bound book is especially useful as the chapters are presented as
"grocery aisles" and brand recommendations are given ranging from high
quality to very good.

In my experience, if there are multiple brands of a Chinese product you
want to buy, try to buy one that was made in either Taiwan or the USA
rather than one from mainland China. You'll pay a bit more for the
product, but you might be less likely to run into quality control
issues. Just MHO, as I've eaten tons of stuff produced in the PRC and
none of it ever killed me, but there seem to be better quality control
mechanisms in this country and Taiwan than in mainland China.

Cheers,

Adilah

ggg

Aaron Bergman wrote:

> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

>>Serendipity wrote:
>>
>>>As a follow-up to my chicken chop suey question, I stopped at the
>>>grocery store for more supplies. I couldn't fine xianxing but I

>>found
>>
>>>oyster sauce and dark sesame oil. There were a couple of different
>>>brands. How do I determine what brand of these to buy? TIA

> Try 'em. I like Lee Kum Kee for oyster sauce. I haven't noticed much
> differences among sesame oils.
>
> Aaron

I use the Japanese one - something -doya I think. The bottle is kind of
hour glass.
grocerypals

Chicago Metro residents over 18 are invited to participate. Please
assist a graduate student by completing a short survey for a research
project on Chicago metro grocery stores. In order for this project to
be successful, your help is needed. Please complete the survey found
at the following link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=91842971261

By clicking on this link, you will be directly taken to this survey. It
should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete. Question eight is
wide please scroll to the right to see all categories. Your time and
effort is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Grateful Graduate Student

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

grocerypals wrote on 14 Apr 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Chicago Metro residents over 18 are invited to participate. Please
> assist a graduate student by completing a short survey for a
> research project on Chicago metro grocery stores. In order for
> this project to be successful, your help is needed. Please
> complete the survey found at the following link:
>
> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=91842971261
>
> By clicking on this link, you will be directly taken to this
> survey. It should take no longer than 10 minutes to complete.
> Question eight is wide please scroll to the right to see all
> categories. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Grateful Graduate Student

Boy that was fun! And I lied my ass off. I don't even live in the USA
never mind Chicago.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
John Bonnett

-----snip-----

"> No Bread Crumbs were hurt in the making of this Meal.
> Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
> 1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
> Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
> Continuing to be Manitoban

Canajuns. Frostbite of the neurons....

John<==loathes Lablatt's

mrsgator88

No survey necessary. The ones worthwhile are Sunset, Happy Foods, and
Treasure Island, and Whole Foods if you must (I liked Elliots too, but I
haven't been there in 10 years). Go into any of them with an actual
shopping list, then go to Jewel or Dominicks, and you'll have all the
information you need.

oups.com...

Asian Cooking Style tan Asian Cooking 10 07-02-2012 10:55 AM
Cheese in Asian cooking? merryb General Cooking 80 28-09-2011 02:35 AM
Asian Cooking hailyjohn Asian Cooking 3 03-03-2011 06:58 AM
asian cooking bill Diabetic 3 04-03-2005 01:56 AM
Asian Cooking [email protected] General Cooking 8 16-04-2004 04:53 AM