FoodBanter.com

-   -   Silly Little Tip (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/5626-silly-little-tip.html)

Wayne Boatwright 26-03-2004 07:38 AM

Silly Little Tip

Do you hate the way cupcakes/muffins stick to the paper liners and pieces
of muffin stay on the paper?

This has probably occurred to everyone but me, but I just tried spraying
pan release on the inside of the paper liner before spooning in the batter.
Works a treat! Paper peels off without a loose crumb.

Wayne

Levelwave© 26-03-2004 08:00 AM

Silly Little Tip

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Do you hate the way cupcakes/muffins stick to the paper liners and pieces
> of muffin stay on the paper?
>
> This has probably occurred to everyone but me, but I just tried spraying
> pan release on the inside of the paper liner before spooning in the batter.
> Works a treat! Paper peels off without a loose crumb.

If you're going to go to that much trouble why not just toss the paper
cups and spray the muffin pan?

~john

Levelwave© 26-03-2004 08:00 AM

Silly Little Tip

Wayne Boatwright 26-03-2004 01:34 PM

Silly Little Tip

Levelwave© > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Do you hate the way cupcakes/muffins stick to the paper liners and
>> pieces of muffin stay on the paper?
>>
>> This has probably occurred to everyone but me, but I just tried
>> spraying pan release on the inside of the paper liner before spooning
>> in the batter. Works a treat! Paper peels off without a loose
>> crumb.

> If you're going to go to that much trouble why not just toss the paper
> cups and spray the muffin pan?
>
> ~john

The muffins stay fresher longer and the liner makes them sturdier for
carrying. I don't use them at all if they're going to be consumed
immediately at the table.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright 26-03-2004 01:34 PM

Silly Little Tip

Levelwave© > wrote in
:

A mukluk wearing troll 26-03-2004 01:38 PM

Silly Little Tip

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:00:29 -0500, Levelwave© >
wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Do you hate the way cupcakes/muffins stick to the paper liners and pieces
>> of muffin stay on the paper?
>>
>> This has probably occurred to everyone but me, but I just tried spraying
>> pan release on the inside of the paper liner before spooning in the batter.
>> Works a treat! Paper peels off without a loose crumb.

>If you're going to go to that much trouble why not just toss the paper
>cups and spray the muffin pan?

Personally, I don't use papers. I oil and flour the tin itself - once
baked, I quickly run a knife around and pop them out while still warm.
(run the knife witth the blunt edge first if using no-stick tins.

Muffin papers are a waste.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

A mukluk wearing troll 26-03-2004 01:38 PM

Silly Little Tip

Bob (this one) 26-03-2004 02:04 PM

Silly Little Tip

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Do you hate the way cupcakes/muffins stick to the paper liners and pieces
> of muffin stay on the paper?
>
> This has probably occurred to everyone but me, but I just tried spraying
> pan release on the inside of the paper liner before spooning in the batter.
> Works a treat! Paper peels off without a loose crumb.

Lately, I've been using silicone muffin bakers. Looks like a normal
muffin tin but it's flexible. Muffins pop right out. They don't brown
on the sides like metal causes, but they're baked, so I don't really
miss it. Of course, the sides don't brown all that much in paper cups,
either.

Pastorio

Bob (this one) 26-03-2004 02:04 PM

Silly Little Tip

Brian Macke 26-03-2004 03:41 PM

Silly Little Tip

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:00:29 -0500, Levelwave© wrote:

> If you're going to go to that much trouble why not just toss the paper
> cups and spray the muffin pan?

Presentation? Sanitation? A natural hatred for trees?

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Cindy Fuller 26-03-2004 04:45 PM

Silly Little Tip

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > Do you hate the way cupcakes/muffins stick to the paper liners and pieces
> > of muffin stay on the paper?
> >
> > This has probably occurred to everyone but me, but I just tried spraying
> > pan release on the inside of the paper liner before spooning in the batter.
> >
> > Works a treat! Paper peels off without a loose crumb.

> Lately, I've been using silicone muffin bakers. Looks like a normal
> muffin tin but it's flexible. Muffins pop right out. They don't brown
> on the sides like metal causes, but they're baked, so I don't really
> miss it. Of course, the sides don't brown all that much in paper cups,
> either.

I've seen those silicone pans at the local restaurant supply store. You
just convinced me not to buy them. Browning is important to the taste
of many baked goods, especially breads.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Cindy Fuller 26-03-2004 04:45 PM

Silly Little Tip

Levelwave© 26-03-2004 05:37 PM

Silly Little Tip

Brian Macke wrote:

> A natural hatred for trees?

Bingo!

~john

Levelwave© 26-03-2004 05:37 PM

Silly Little Tip

Brian Macke wrote:

> A natural hatred for trees?

Bingo!

~john

Nancree 26-03-2004 10:48 PM

Silly Little Tip

>Brian Macke wrote:
>
>> A natural hatred for trees?

>Bingo!
>
>~john

-------------------------------
nobody knows what you're talking about. Please post.

Nancree 26-03-2004 10:48 PM

Silly Little Tip

>Brian Macke wrote:
>
>> A natural hatred for trees?

>Bingo!
>
>~john

-------------------------------
nobody knows what you're talking about. Please post.

Dean G. 26-03-2004 10:51 PM

Silly Little Tip

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.. .
> Do you hate the way cupcakes/muffins stick to the paper liners and pieces
> of muffin stay on the paper?
>
> This has probably occurred to everyone but me, but I just tried spraying
> pan release on the inside of the paper liner before spooning in the

batter.
> Works a treat! Paper peels off without a loose crumb.
>
> Wayne

Sounds simple enough. I don't make muffins that often, but I have also found
the foil liners are much better.

Dean

Dean G. 26-03-2004 10:51 PM

Silly Little Tip

JimLane 26-03-2004 11:24 PM

Silly Little Tip

Nancree wrote:
>>Brian Macke wrote:
>>

>>>A natural hatred for trees?

>>Bingo!
>>
>>~john

> -------------------------------
> nobody knows what you're talking about. Please post.

Several people do or are you megalomaniac enough so you assume because
you don't get it, no one else will? "Nobody?" In a pig's eye.

Paper liners are not necessary. That paper comes from trees. Wasting
paper needlessly is like cutting down trees. Perhaps someone "hates"
trees so they want to cut them down no matter the silliness of what it
is used for.

Or something or the other along that line.

jim

JimLane 26-03-2004 11:24 PM

Silly Little Tip

Levelwave© 26-03-2004 11:32 PM

Silly Little Tip

Nancree wrote:

> nobody knows what you're talking about. Please post.

I think it's time you update that decrepit old newsreader :)

www.mozilla.org - the best reader in the biz...

~john

ps - download Mozilla 1.6 - newsread is included with the browser

Levelwave© 26-03-2004 11:32 PM

Silly Little Tip

Nancy Young 26-03-2004 11:36 PM

Silly Little Tip

"Dean G." wrote:

> Sounds simple enough. I don't make muffins that often, but I have also found
> the foil liners are much better.

I once convinced a friend to let me make cupcakes for her kid's class.
She had eight gazillion things to do and needed cupcakes on top of
that. Well, I don't bake, and therefore did not have a bunch of
muffin tins to make some 30 cupcakes, so I bought the metal ones and
baked them without a tin, just a bunch of foil muffin liners on a
baking sheet. Worked out fine.

So my friend tells her mother, wow! nancy made cupcakes in these new
foil muffin liners! (laugh) Her mother was like ... they've been
around forever. Oh.

nancy

Nancy Young 26-03-2004 11:36 PM

Silly Little Tip

PENMART01 26-03-2004 11:50 PM

Silly Little Tip

> Jim "Low IQ"Lane babbles:
>
>That paper comes from trees. Wasting
>paper needlessly is like cutting down trees. Perhaps someone "hates"
>trees so they want to cut them down no matter the silliness of what it
>is used for.
>
>jism

In the US *all* paper products are made from trees specifically farmed for that
use... cutting trees for making paper is no different from harvesting wheat for
making bread.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01 26-03-2004 11:50 PM

Silly Little Tip

Nancree 26-03-2004 11:53 PM

Silly Little Tip

>> nobody knows what you're talking about. Please post.
>

>I think it's time you update that decrepit old newsreader :)
>
>www.mozilla.org - the best reader in the biz...
>
>~john
>

>ps - download Mozilla 1.6 - newsread is included with the browser

------------------
My newsreader is just fine. It's you not posting the earlier part of the
thread that's causing the problem.
Nancree

Nancree 26-03-2004 11:53 PM

Silly Little Tip

Goomba38 26-03-2004 11:55 PM

Silly Little Tip

Nancree wrote:

> >Brian Macke wrote:
> >
> >> A natural hatred for trees?

> >Bingo!
> >
> >~john

> -------------------------------
> nobody knows what you're talking about. Please post.

I understood. He meant use of muffin cup liners which is in turn a waste
of natural resources (trees) for the sake of muffin cup liners,
especially since he was going to grease the cups anyway.
Goomba

Goomba38 26-03-2004 11:55 PM

Silly Little Tip

Levelwave© 27-03-2004 12:01 AM

Silly Little Tip

Nancree wrote:

> My newsreader is just fine. It's you not posting the earlier part of the
> thread that's causing the problem.
> Nancree

Oh, so it's *my* fault? Well then...

~john

Levelwave© 27-03-2004 12:01 AM

Silly Little Tip

Nancree wrote:

> My newsreader is just fine. It's you not posting the earlier part of the
> thread that's causing the problem.
> Nancree

Oh, so it's *my* fault? Well then...

~john

Nancree 27-03-2004 12:06 AM

Silly Little Tip

>Oh, so it's *my* fault? Well then...
>
>~john

------------------------------
Yes, posting a lead-in to the subject, so the next reader knows what the
subject is, is regular custom on rfc and newsgroups. Read the FAQ.

Nancree 27-03-2004 12:06 AM

Silly Little Tip

------------------------------

PENMART01 27-03-2004 12:06 AM

Silly Little Tip

>Goomba38
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

rkciprAzPv!vRKe1B0lQ66/kLZnqaNtchYwB5aTnXKhOqn2ocd/0R151phm3Igc7g==

>Nancree wrote:

>> >Bingo!
>> >
>> >~john

>> -------------------------------
>> nobody knows what you're talking about. Please post.

>I understood. He meant use of muffin cup liners which is in turn a waste
>of natural resources (trees) for the sake of muffin cup liners,
>especially since he was going to grease the cups anyway.

Those pleated paper cups are for baking cupcakes, not muffins... muffins baked
in those papers are ruined exactly same as would be a loaf of bread baked in a
paper liner... NO CRUST... anyone who'd enjoy a muffin baked in paper would
enjoy a boiled porterhouse.

PENMART01 27-03-2004 12:06 AM

Silly Little Tip

Levelwave© 27-03-2004 12:11 AM

Silly Little Tip

Nancree wrote:

> Yes, posting a lead-in to the subject, so the next reader knows what the
> subject is, is regular custom on rfc and newsgroups. Read the FAQ.

Hey, I got an idea! The reader could follow the thread in some logical
order! :)

~john

ps - Write that down in your FAQ...

Levelwave© 27-03-2004 12:11 AM

Silly Little Tip

Wayne Boatwright 27-03-2004 12:17 AM

Silly Little Tip

Goomba38 > wrote in
:

> Nancree wrote:

>> >Bingo!
>> >
>> >~john

>> -------------------------------
>> nobody knows what you're talking about. Please post.

> I understood. He meant use of muffin cup liners which is in turn a
> waste of natural resources (trees) for the sake of muffin cup liners,
> especially since he was going to grease the cups anyway.
> Goomba

I understood his point as well. However, my reasons for using the
liners are valid to me; e.g., portability, longer freshness, etc. What
I didn't like was the way that the muffin sticks to the paper. I don't
mind bare muffins if they're going directly to the table and will be
eaten in a short period of time. Longer than that or eaten in another
place (say, taken to work), I much prefer that they be in liners.
Others have wasted far more trees for more foolish reasons than I ever
will.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright 27-03-2004 12:17 AM

Silly Little Tip