Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>
>>On 2005-03-06, > wrote:
>>
>>>I learned by sad experience that repeated water and soap washings, even
>>>if "wiped off and set on end to dry," the wood will absorb the water
>>>even after you wipe it up, and eventually warp and split along the
>>>joins, if it is butcher block.

>>Depends on the board. I have a 10" cutting board I've been using for
>>7-8 years. Wash with soap and water with every use with an occasional
>>chlorine douche. Never wipe with paper towels, just drip dry.

> Just curious... what about paper towels prevents their use for wiping a
> food prep board? Btw, I detest the term "cutting board"... it implies
> cutting the board rather than the food,

<LOL> And now Sheldon becomes a linguistic blowhard, just like he does
with food issues. How about "shaving cream?" Does that make you think
someone's shaving some cream? Idiot.

> why would anyone want to cut
> into their food prep board... with correct technique there should never
> be any cuts/gouges imported into a food prep surface. Cover the food
> prep surface with butcher paper and practice your knife wielding
> technique until you can do your food prep without making any slices
> through the butcher paper.

This is happy horseshit. If it were the case, there would be no need
for cutting boards at all - wood or plastic. We could all save
ourselves the cost and effort to keep boards maintained. In the
professional kitchen, cutting boards are scored and marked by the
process of cutting. Period. That's why there are instructions provided
by the professional equipment manufacturers for refinishing boards and
some companies offer the service of refinishing them for you.

> For butchering (beef, fowl, fish, etc.) on
> wood always choose an end grain surface, professinal butchers don't
> work on the flat of the grain and neither should you.

More nonsense. Professional butchers use end grain for "chopping
blocks" where they're bringing meat cleavers down with force. And
contrary to the advice on the Boos site, they use wire brushes to work
the surface.

If it's simply breaking down a chicken or cutting portions out of a
larger one, a cutting board of rock maple, oak, cherry or any of
several other woods is fine. You'll see those long workboards on the
back of butchers' meat display coolers where that last cut is often made.

Wood is what several of our worktables in my restaurant operations
were made of, specifically for those cutting purposes. Like the ones
on the page <http://johnboos.com/JBC_Web/jbc0006.asp> Do notice that
*all* the tables have edge-grain tops. I brought one tabletop home
from my last operation. It's 8 X 3 feet by 2 1/4 inches thick and
weighs a couple hundred pounds.

What's the difference what grain you use if you aren't going to
actually push a knife against it and cut it?

> Of course
> nowadays butchers, and all food prep venues are more and more switching
> to plastic and so should we all.

The gospel according to Cookie Katz. Sound and fury, as usual. So,
Sheldon, why should we even need cutting boards at all if knives don't
actually cut into them? Why not just put down an easy-to-sterilize
stainless counter top and cut on that - of course being careful not to
actually touch it, like you say should be the case...?

Maybe go to a neighbor's and ask to watch some professional cooks do
their thing on tv. Cooking in the navy 50 years ago is hardly
credentials for this modern world.

In another post today, you offer this:
--------------------
Learn from the masters... go here and click on "Tips":
http://johnboos.com/Default.htm

Don't forget to click on the "Sanitation" link too.
------------------

Right. And don't forget to look at the "specs" link where they show
all sorts of end- and edge-grain boards. And note that they make a
distinction between chopping blocks and cutting boards. Look at all
the pretty pictures including the professional edge-grain boards.

And they tell you how to refinish boards since it's to be expected
that knives will come into contact with the wood.

Katra

In article >,
Kenneth > wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 01:29:57 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
>
> >Kenneth wrote:
> >
> >> On 6 Mar 2005 06:42:09 +0100, Wayne Boatwright

> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> If so, she was lucky that she did not lose the board to
> >> rancidity... Mineral oil (from the pharmacy) is a much
> >> better choice.

> >How, exactly, does one "lose the board to rancidity?" The mineral oil
> >mantra is a recent arrival on the wooden cutting board scene. It's
> >based on faith, not empirical fact.
> >
> >A long time ago, it was animal fats. Butchers scraped their blocks and
> >rubbed them with lard or beef fat. Country people rubbed pig tails on
> >their skillets to grease them and their boards to "slick" them. Then
> >when liquid oils became available, they were used. Then the carpenters
> >and cabinetmakers got into the act and promoted mineral oil because it
> >works on armoires and dining room tables, and they just figured...
> >Normal people kept to food oils anyway, because they work just fine.
> >
> >The simple fact is that food oils work. They get exchanged in the
> >course of normal use and cleaning so that they need replacement
> >periodically. In the decades I've been in professional food service,
> >using wooden boards which we oiled with any of several different kinds
> >of food oils, not once have I ever seen or heard anyone else in the
> >business say their boards smelled rancid. In nearly 20 years of
> >dealing with kitchen questions on my radio program, amid all the other
> >calls I've dealt with about cutting boards, not one person has ever
> >raised the question of rancidity and their boards. In writing a couple
> >thousand articles and columns about food and cooking, not once has
> >anyone ever emailed me about rancid boards, although I've gotten them
> >on myriad other cutting board and chopping block issues.
> >
> >Forget that business about mineral oil. It's not necessary.
> >
> >Pastorio

> Hi Bob,
>
> Might you explain to me what it is about cutting boards that
> prevents vegetable oils from becoming rancid? (Or do you
> believe that characteristic of vegetable oil to be a myth as
> well.)
>
> Thanks,

It does not generally stay ON the board long enough to become rancid. ;-)
I don't know about y'all, but I use my cutting board pretty much daily,
and it gets washed off with warm soapy dishwater after every use, and
often between foods being cut depending on what I'm doing! I sure as
heck wash it after raw meats...

I don't own a dishwasher (and never intend to!) so a warm, clean pan of
soapy dishwater is always available when I'm cooking as I clean out the
sink and wash dishes both before and after I'm done.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Katra

In article >,
Kenneth > wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:01:56 -0500, "Bob (this one)"
> > wrote:
> >
> >Did you see anywhere above where I said that food oils - not just
> >vegetable - are prevented from becoming rancid?
> >
> >Perhaps your immersion in the theoretical has overwhelmed your
> >capacity for pragmatism. Perhaps you think that history started when
> >mineral oil became a commodity. I cited why I state that the food oils
> >don't become rancid, the conditions under which the boards are handled
> >and the results of that handling. I offered history. I offered the
> >reasons for my skepticism. I offered a clear lack of anything to even
> >remotely support your assertion about rancidity in cutting boards.
> >
> >You have repeated the mineral oil mantra. And avoided answering the
> >question posed above: How, exactly, does one "lose the board to
> >rancidity?" For it to be credible, you have to offer a bit more than a
> >web site with bad information. A bit more than an unsupported opinion.
> >
> >In another post I said that I was in the cutting board business for a
> >couple years. I investigated very widely about the manufacturing,
> >finishing and maintenance of boards. I tested the suggestions I read
> >and heard. And I found that the old ways with wood in the kitchen
> >worked better than the cabinetmaker's way. Animal fats are wonderful.
> >Food oils are grand. Those oils with wax melted into it is yet more grand.
> >
> >And, sure, mineral oil can work, too. But it's not something most
> >people have on hand and it's simply not necessary. It's rather more
> >expensive than soybean or canola oil.
> >
> > >(Or do you
> >> believe that characteristic of vegetable oil to be a myth as
> >> well.)

> >I believe that you think you've imparted great wisdom - that you
> >picked up and dropped in here without questioning it. Copied from
> >others who also don't know anything much empirical information about
> >how cutting boards work.
> >
> >Explain how one can "lose a board to rancidity." Give me the name of
> >one person who has lost a board to rancidity. Tell me how long a board
> >with food oils on it will go before getting rancid. Show me one
> >reliable source that has an example of a board lost to rancidity. Back
> >up what you're saying with something a bit more concrete than "I said so."
> >
> >Pastorio

> Hi Bob,
>
> I have not had the problem on cutting boards, but have with
> wooden spoons. The oil on then has become rancid leaving the
> spoon with a terrible taste that I could not eliminate.
>
> That's why I switched to mineral oil, and suggest it to
> others.
>
> All the best,

Why did you oil your wooden spoons? ;-o

I've had mine for years and do nothing with them for maintenance other
than keep them clean......

They are fine. One is a bit ragged from being used in the blender by my
dad, but that's about it. ;-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Jerry DeAngelis

Hello

At the risk of invoking everyone's ire, I must say that I have seldom
seen so much written about so unimportant an area related to food
preparation. I came upon this thread rather late, and in simply reading
all the posts, my first impression was that I needed to "Google" the
topic "Death by Cutting Board". Please, let's not allow common sense to
be overcome by the fixation that bacteria of the deadly sort are
awaiting our next use of a kitchen utensils, especially a cutting board.
Get a grip people!

Regards

Jerry @ The Artisan
http://www.theartisan.net

notbob

On 2005-03-09, Jerry DeAngelis > wrote:

> Get a grip people!

Cite please! After googling for *grip* I can find no substantiation
to your claim. In 4 decades of cooking I have never found a grip to
be either a valid sanitizing agent or preservative of cutting boards.
Furthermore, it's been my experience..... ;P

nb

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 08 Mar 2005 08:17:32p, notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2005-03-09, Jerry DeAngelis > wrote:
>
>> Get a grip people!

> Cite please! After googling for *grip* I can find no substantiation
> to your claim. In 4 decades of cooking I have never found a grip to
> be either a valid sanitizing agent or preservative of cutting boards.
> Furthermore, it's been my experience..... ;P
>
> nb

But, nb, you're just so much more experienced than most! ;-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Jerry DeAngelis

NB

Finally a cogent reply!

Please cite your experience with "grip-less" utensils, and the
sanitizing thereof.

Regards

Jerry

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2005-03-09, Jerry DeAngelis > wrote:
>
>> Get a grip people!

> Cite please! After googling for *grip* I can find no substantiation
> to your claim. In 4 decades of cooking I have never found a grip to
> be either a valid sanitizing agent or preservative of cutting boards.
> Furthermore, it's been my experience..... ;P
>
> nb

Bob (this one)

Bob in socal wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:00:07 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
> wrote:
>
>>Bob in socal wrote:

>>>Thanks for your input, however I'll stick with published data which
>>>works and has worked well for me. I wash my board after use if
>>>needed, with a hot soapy dish rag,

>>Eeeeeewwwww. Germs all over the place...

> My problem, not yours
>
>>>rinse and dry with a paper towel.
>>>I oil it with mineral oil regularly as mineral oil is quite reasonably
>>>priced and readily available in any drug store.

>>Or ammo shop or sex toy emporium or machine shop or laxative vending
>>machine or hobby palace...

I'm typing slowly here... The prior two comments I made above are
jokes. Perhaps you've read about them...?

> Sorry you didn't carry the thread and your "expertise" was questioned
> by all who participated.

<LOL> Next you'll create a whole new reality and I'll have been hanged
by torch carrying villagers. Nothing like a little hyperbole to
brighten up a quiet life, huh...?

>>>I wholeheartedly agree with Sheldon's post on the subject as I don't
>>>use my good end-grain board for meat or sloppy wet food either. I have
>>>several plastic boards, one for chicken, one for sea food and one for
>>>red meat, all purchased new at the local swap meet quite reasonably
>>>and replaced regularly when needed.

>>Few things:
>>1) That you wholeheartedly agree with Sheldon's blather on the subject
>>speaks it's own volumes. As usual, he's blowing smoke.

> Aside from his bazaar sense of humor, he contributes substantial
> amounts of good information.

That would be bizarre. And his "substantial amounts of good
information" are generally plagiarized from other sources or his
opinions based on his glorious days a half century ago as a Navy cook.
In this case, he posted somebody else's notions that are open to
question when considered against other postings from other people.

> That's more than I can say about
> your contributions to this discussion.

That would be mostly because of your incapacity to understand them and
their sources. And your blind acceptance of what you read.

>>2) And your avoiding answering the question about how one "loses " a
>>board to rancidity after you brought it up speaks yet more.

> You need to be more diligent in reading threads and attributions as
> I said nothing of the kind.
>
>>3) Your inability to offer one case, one example, one person who has
>>had the shattering heartbreak of the Dreaded Rancid Cutting Board
>>speaks the rest.

> You need to be more diligent in reading threads and attributions as
> I said nothing of the kind.

You're correct. It was Kenneth who posted that silliness and not you.
I apologize for the mistake.

And I'm still waiting for him to deal with that blunder of his.

> And you are full of yourself. It isn't me pandering and apologizing
> in the thread for what I've contributed. You on the other hand,
> have been taken to task for the fallacious statements you made
> by most all who have contributed to the thread.

Not really. There's a substantial difference between people offering
differing opinions and "being taken to task." As for "fallacious
statements" - nab. Not a one. You might want to go back and review the
thread yourself.

> Loser !! Bob on this, Bob......

<LOL> That's the first moderately clever insulting comment made about
my name. Good job. Most people try to make something out of Pastorio
and it always comes across pretty lame.

Pastorio

margaret allan

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message >...
> Bob in socal wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:00:07 -0500, "Bob (this one)" >
> > wrote:

I think you have all drifted from the subject of wooden chopping boards

> >>Eeeeeewwwww. Germs all over the place...

> > My problem, not yours

> >>Or ammo shop or sex toy emporium or machine shop or laxative vending
> >>machine or hobby palace...

> I'm typing slowly here... The prior two comments I made above are
> jokes. Perhaps you've read about them...?
>
> > Sorry you didn't carry the thread and your "expertise" was questioned
> > by all who participated.

> <LOL> Next you'll create a whole new reality and I'll have been hanged
> by torch carrying villagers. Nothing like a little hyperbole to
> brighten up a quiet life, huh...?

> >>Few things:
> >>1) That you wholeheartedly agree with Sheldon's blather on the subject
> >>speaks it's own volumes. As usual, he's blowing smoke.

> > Aside from his bazaar sense of humor, he contributes substantial
> > amounts of good information.

> That would be bizarre. And his "substantial amounts of good
> information" are generally plagiarized from other sources or his
> opinions based on his glorious days a half century ago as a Navy cook.
> In this case, he posted somebody else's notions that are open to
> question when considered against other postings from other people.
>
> > That's more than I can say about
> > your contributions to this discussion.

> That would be mostly because of your incapacity to understand them and
> their sources. And your blind acceptance of what you read.
>
> >>2) And your avoiding answering the question about how one "loses " a
> >>board to rancidity after you brought it up speaks yet more.

> > You need to be more diligent in reading threads and attributions as
> > I said nothing of the kind.
> >
> >>3) Your inability to offer one case, one example, one person who has
> >>had the shattering heartbreak of the Dreaded Rancid Cutting Board
> >>speaks the rest.

> > You need to be more diligent in reading threads and attributions as
> > I said nothing of the kind.

> You're correct. It was Kenneth who posted that silliness and not you.
> I apologize for the mistake.
>
> And I'm still waiting for him to deal with that blunder of his.
>
> > And you are full of yourself. It isn't me pandering and apologizing
> > in the thread for what I've contributed. You on the other hand,
> > have been taken to task for the fallacious statements you made
> > by most all who have contributed to the thread.

> Not really. There's a substantial difference between people offering
> differing opinions and "being taken to task." As for "fallacious
> statements" - nab. Not a one. You might want to go back and review the
> thread yourself.
>
> > Loser !! Bob on this, Bob......

> <LOL> That's the first moderately clever insulting comment made about
> my name. Good job. Most people try to make something out of Pastorio
> and it always comes across pretty lame.
>
> Pastorio

Bob (this one)

margaret allan wrote:

> I think you have all drifted from the subject of wooden chopping boards

<LOL> It was wonderful of you to post 134 lines of quotation to say
this one supremely obvious thing. And take your choice, it's either
cutting boards or chopping blocks.

No, seriously...

Pastorio

Sheldon

> pontificating projectile prattle:
>> That scraping business will tear up the grain on flat side-grain
>> boards and any made from soft woods.

>No, it won't. Woodworkers have known for centuries that using a

scraper
>will produce a *smoother* finish than sanding, especially on hardwood.

Absolutely. Centuries, try many millennia... man has been finish
smoothing woods with scrapers since well before he had metal.... many
crafts requiring highly skilled woodworkers are still plied with
scrapers of stone and bone. Btw, the bits of grit composing sand paper
are in fact nothing more than miniature scrapers, which of course tear
up wood surfaces far more than do broad edge blade scrapers. Man has
always had sand, and used sand, for rough finishing... but for final
smoothing (and precision dimensioning) scraping is and always has been
the preferred method.... is how the stones comprising pyramids were
made to such exacting standards.

Exactly what's recommended at johnboos.com

>I do the same thing with my plastic cutting sheets, too. The amount of

>gunk is even more amazing, considering that I clean those with hot

soapy
>water and a green "scrubber".

That's because many plastics are actually porous and absorb fats just
like woods.

>I have heard that professional butchers scrape their carving blocks.
>Isaac

Of course they do, those who still use wood... more and more butchering
is turning towards plastic... then the cleaning tool of choice is steam
and high pressure washers, same way the entire butchering facility is
cleaned.... no chemical disinfectants are permitted, no bleach, no
peroxide, not even salt or citrus... just H2O... ever you visit your
local stupidmarket after hours, when meat cutting is done for the day
and the cleaning crew is doing it's thing peer through the customer
service window.... drive around back and you'll see the truck with the
high pressure steam generator.... set up is pretty much like mobile
carpet cleaners use, only the hose goes in to do the business. Some
stupid market chains hire their own crew, some contract the job.. the
cleaning crew goes from butcher shop to butcher shop all night. Anyone
one tells you commercial food handling facilities are cleaned by some
putz with a spritz bottle and a schmatah, is a friggin' liar, a really
dumb schmuck, both.

Scrapers have always been and are still the primary wood smoothing
tools of highly skilled professional wood workers... all the proof
anyone needs is to observe musical instrument cabinetry makers and wood
boat builders plying their crafts. Even metal and stone are smoothed
with scrapers; that's how precision machine beds are finished, and
ultra precision granite surface plates recieve final dimensioning by
hand scraping... the journal bearing surfaces of blue printed internal
combustion engines, such as used in racing cars, are fitted and
smoothed by hand scraping. There are also scraping machines, but final
scraping is done by hand.

Don't believe, go to leevalley.com and search <scrapers>

http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n

Sheldon

Isaac W. writes:
Woodworkers have known for centuries that using a scraper
will produce a *smoother* finish than sanding, especially on hardwood.

Try many millenia. And not just hardwoods.

Go to leevalley.com and seach <scrapers>

Btw, the individual pieces of grit comprising sand paper is each a
miniature scraper... but no sandpaper can smooth (and/or dimension)
wood surfaces as well as broad edged scrapers. Sand paper should never
be used on woods that will be used for foods, especially not on end
grains... the wood will load with grit that will later release into the
food... no steelwool either.

Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:

> Sand paper should never
> be used on woods that will be used for foods, especially not on end
> grains... the wood will load with grit that will later release into the
> food... no steelwool either.

Um, nonsense. The sites you posted the other day for Boos products
says otherwise. <LOL> I love it when you cite authorities and then
contradict them. Cutting boards are routinely finish-sanded.

Sand the wood, wipe with an oiled cloth and wash. Dry. Use.

Pastorio

Emil Luca

OK, what I used to clean wooden meat blocks for 25 years was wet course salt
and a wire brush.
Then after a good scrub you rinse the block and use a meat scraper on the
area while it was still wet. The places I was in you would use a hose so I
don't think you can use too much water.

These meat blocks were both end grain and long grain from 4 ft. square to
4ft by 8ft. Some of the tops had "divots" in them because you processed
millions of pounds of the flesh of dead animals. If these holes got to bad
the tops would be sent out to cutoff enough to get them flat again.
The salt helped with bacteria control and enough of an abrasive to work.
Thank God I don't do this type of work anymore.

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Sand paper should never
>> be used on woods that will be used for foods, especially not on end
>> grains... the wood will load with grit that will later release into the
>> food... no steelwool either.

> Um, nonsense. The sites you posted the other day for Boos products says
> otherwise. <LOL> I love it when you cite authorities and then contradict
> them. Cutting boards are routinely finish-sanded.
>
> Sand the wood, wipe with an oiled cloth and wash. Dry. Use.
>
> Pastorio

Bob (this one)

Emil Luca wrote:

> OK, what I used to clean wooden meat blocks for 25 years was wet course salt
> and a wire brush.
> Then after a good scrub you rinse the block and use a meat scraper on the
> area while it was still wet. The places I was in you would use a hose so I
> don't think you can use too much water.

Reasonably normal daily cleaning approach for meat cutting operations.

> These meat blocks were both end grain and long grain from 4 ft. square to
> 4ft by 8ft. Some of the tops had "divots" in them because you processed
> millions of pounds of the flesh of dead animals. If these holes got to bad
> the tops would be sent out to cutoff enough to get them flat again.

We used to have our tables planed like this about once a year.

> The salt helped with bacteria control and enough of an abrasive to work.
> Thank God I don't do this type of work anymore.

Understand. I don't think people understand how much work goes into
their dinners. I got out of owning and running restaurants after a few
decades, myself. There was a lot that I liked, but 90 hour weeks
wasn't on the list.

Pastorio