General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 02:57 AM
The Newbie
 
Posts: n/a
Default Lemon Oil? (Extract)

I am a dreaded newbie in this NG since I 've decided to take over cooking in
this household. I've done a fair amount of reading on the Net and have
learned a great lot in the last few weeks. So far I'm pleased with myself
although I can see it will take time.

One thing had been bothering me......fish. I often hear to use a few drops
of lemon oil. Looking around in our local grocery all I find is Lemon
Extract in the spice section. That's not the same is it?

Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong section. I could of course buy a few
lemons and use them but from what I can see it's available bottles.

The Newbie



  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 07:36 AM
jacqui{JB}
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"The Newbie" wrote in message
...

One thing had been bothering me......fish. I often
hear to use a few drops of lemon oil. Looking
around in our local grocery all I find is Lemon
Extract in the spice section. That's not the same
is it?


Hm. In my experience, lemon oil (and other flavored oils) is used for
candy making and the like. To add further potential confusion, lemon
oil for candy making is *not* the same thing as lemon essential oil
(which, as a general rule of thumb for the newbie aromatherapist,
should not be taken internally). If you have a shop nearby which
carries specialty baking/candy making supplies, check there.

-j


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 08:10 AM
kilikini
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The Newbie wrote:
I am a dreaded newbie in this NG since I 've decided to take over
cooking in this household. I've done a fair amount of reading on the
Net and have learned a great lot in the last few weeks. So far I'm
pleased with myself although I can see it will take time.

One thing had been bothering me......fish. I often hear to use a few
drops of lemon oil. Looking around in our local grocery all I find
is Lemon Extract in the spice section. That's not the same is it?

Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong section. I could of course buy
a few lemons and use them but from what I can see it's available
bottles.

The Newbie


Lemon oil? When I make fish I squeeze fresh lemon JUICE on it; not an
extract. I've never heard of lemon oil on fish!?!

kili


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Wayne Boatwright
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Fri 04 Mar 2005 11:36:10p, jacqui{JB} wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"The Newbie" wrote in message
...

One thing had been bothering me......fish. I often
hear to use a few drops of lemon oil. Looking
around in our local grocery all I find is Lemon
Extract in the spice section. That's not the same is it?


Hm. In my experience, lemon oil (and other flavored oils) is used for
candy making and the like. To add further potential confusion, lemon
oil for candy making is *not* the same thing as lemon essential oil
(which, as a general rule of thumb for the newbie aromatherapist,
should not be taken internally). If you have a shop nearby which
carries specialty baking/candy making supplies, check there.

-j



I keep a variety of oils on hand, including lemon, that I use in cooking,
baking, and pickling. I have a local pharmacist order them. I usually
have orange, lemon, cinnamon, clove, peppermint, almond, and anise.

--
Wayne Boatwright
____________________________________________

Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 08:40 AM
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wayne Boatwright , if that's his real name, wrote:

I keep a variety of oils on hand, including lemon, that I use in cooking,
baking, and pickling. I have a local pharmacist order them. I usually
have orange, lemon, cinnamon, clove, peppermint, almond, and anise.


What the heck are you doing with clove oil?

I'm glad someone besides me is still up.

Carol
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 08:43 AM
kilikini
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
Wayne Boatwright , if that's his real name,
wrote:

I keep a variety of oils on hand, including lemon, that I use in
cooking, baking, and pickling. I have a local pharmacist order
them. I usually have orange, lemon, cinnamon, clove, peppermint,
almond, and anise.


What the heck are you doing with clove oil?

I'm glad someone besides me is still up.

Carol


I'm still up for a bit; but I'm laying down 'cause I'm falling asleep at
this darn machine. I need to ask the group a question.

kili


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Bob
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Carol replied to Wayne:

I usually have orange, lemon, cinnamon, clove, peppermint, almond, and
anise.


What the heck are you doing with clove oil?

I'm glad someone besides me is still up.



Didn't you ever see "Marathon Man"?

Bob
"Is it safe?"


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Bob
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wayne wrote:


I keep a variety of oils on hand, including lemon, that I use in cooking,
baking, and pickling. I have a local pharmacist order them. I usually
have orange, lemon, cinnamon, clove, peppermint, almond, and anise.


That reminds me: Does anyone here know what "cucumber essence" is, and how
to obtain it in an edible form? I ran across some interesting drink recipes
which call for it, and when I go looking for it, it only shows up in
cosmetic formulations.

Bob


  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Bob" , if that's their real name, wrote:

Carol replied to Wayne:

I usually have orange, lemon, cinnamon, clove, peppermint, almond, and
anise.


What the heck are you doing with clove oil?

I'm glad someone besides me is still up.



Didn't you ever see "Marathon Man"?


No, I'm going to need you to explain that one. confused look

Bob
"Is it safe?"


Nothing is safe. They're all out to get us.

Carol
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Bob
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Carol wrote:

Didn't you ever see "Marathon Man"?


No, I'm going to need you to explain that one. confused look


Okay, it's a classic Dustin Hoffman film. Hoffman plays a marathon runner
with a brother in the CIA. He falls into the hands of a former Nazi and
dentist, who tortures him by drilling holes in his teeth, all the while
asking, "Is it safe?"

Naturally, Hoffman has no idea what the dentist is talking about, so the
torture continues.

Where does clove oil fit into it? The dentist applies clove oil to Hoffman's
teeth to ease the pain of the torture -- the better to start it back up
again.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Bob




  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Katra
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
"The Newbie" wrote:

I am a dreaded newbie in this NG since I 've decided to take over cooking in
this household. I've done a fair amount of reading on the Net and have
learned a great lot in the last few weeks. So far I'm pleased with myself
although I can see it will take time.

One thing had been bothering me......fish. I often hear to use a few drops
of lemon oil. Looking around in our local grocery all I find is Lemon
Extract in the spice section. That's not the same is it?

Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong section. I could of course buy a few
lemons and use them but from what I can see it's available bottles.

The Newbie



hmmmm... IMHO it's better to use a squeeze of FRESH lemon juice after
the fish has cooked.

When I bake fish, I do like to slice whole lemons thin and lay the
slices over the fish.

I also like to add fresh or dried dill, and a little salt free lemon
pepper....

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katraatcenturyteldotnet,,


http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...user id=katra
  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 10:46 AM
Katra
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

"Bob" , if that's their real name, wrote:

Carol replied to Wayne:

I usually have orange, lemon, cinnamon, clove, peppermint, almond, and
anise.

What the heck are you doing with clove oil?

I'm glad someone besides me is still up.



Didn't you ever see "Marathon Man"?


No, I'm going to need you to explain that one. confused look

Bob
"Is it safe?"


Nothing is safe. They're all out to get us.

Carol


You are up too late... lol

Kat the hypocrite...
--
K.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Bob" , if that's their real name, wrote:

Carol wrote:

Didn't you ever see "Marathon Man"?


No, I'm going to need you to explain that one. confused look


Okay, it's a classic Dustin Hoffman film. Hoffman plays a marathon runner
with a brother in the CIA. He falls into the hands of a former Nazi and
dentist, who tortures him by drilling holes in his teeth, all the while
asking, "Is it safe?"

Naturally, Hoffman has no idea what the dentist is talking about, so the
torture continues.

Where does clove oil fit into it? The dentist applies clove oil to Hoffman's
teeth to ease the pain of the torture -- the better to start it back up
again.


That sounds horrible! I'm glad I haven't seen it. I accidentally watched
"The Dentist" with Corbin Bernsen. I kept watching ... waiting for it to
get better. But it never did. Horrible, horrible movie. Horrible.

The reason I asked Wayne what he was doing with clove oil is that he has
posted that he used to have toothaches as a child, and the school nurse
would make him sit with clove oil on them.

Sheesh, we live in a cruel world!

Carol
--
"Years ago my mother used to say to me... She'd say,
'In this world Elwood, you must be oh-so smart or oh-so pleasant.'
Well, for years I was smart.... I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

*James Stewart* in the 1950 movie, _Harvey_
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Damsel in dis Dress
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Katra , if that's their real name, wrote:

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

They're all out to get us.


You are up too late... lol

Kat the hypocrite...


I'm up again. I need entertainment. Please post more.

Carol
--
"There's things about me you don't know, Dottie.
Things you wouldn't understand. Things you couldn't
understand. Things you shouldn't understand.... I'm
a loner, Dottie. A rebel"

*Paul Reubens* in the 1985 movie, _Pee Wee's Big Adventure_
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Katra
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

Katra , if that's their real name, wrote:

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

They're all out to get us.


You are up too late... lol

Kat the hypocrite...


I'm up again. I need entertainment. Please post more.

Carol


grins Actually, I've about had it... :-)
Eyes are closing, and my project is to clean up greenhouses #1 and #2
tomorrow and go see what Lowe's has for bedding plants!

Might pre-start my beans in pots too. I really don't dare put stuff in
the ground until April 1, but at least I can give it a head start!

I confess, I was watching a DVD on the computer.

"Flesh Gordon". A hilarious film! Rated "R" by today's standards.
A real classic!
--
K.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Substitute for Lemon Extract Frank103 Baking 2 06-04-2007 10:16 PM
Malt Extract Bob S General Cooking 1 10-02-2007 07:00 AM
Malt Extract Bob S Historic 0 10-02-2007 01:59 AM
Malt Extract Bob S Baking 0 10-02-2007 01:55 AM
Regular vanilla extract (natural extract)? Shaynelle Vegan 0 03-01-2007 06:13 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017