Tess

Default Hops?

HI! Foodie People!

I've missed ya'll! Back from the trip, we stayed in "Mayberry" a little
longer than we'd planned, and I just can't wait to go back. Oh, man - some
of the best darn food I've ever had in my LIFE! To the lady who lives three
miles outside of Mt. Airy - have you ever eaten at "Aunt Bea's"? WOW!
Fabulous!

I'll be posting a foodie report soon, at the present time, I feel like I've
been run over by a Greyhound bus. In the meantime, I have a question :

Garden planning time! I've got a ton of catalogues. For *years* I've been
wanting to grow some hops. Got that catalogue today, and I need a little
input. My little man *does* make beer, but buys the kit, and you don't need
any *actual* hops to do that. The catalogues have two different kinds, and
I'm going for the "aromatic" one. Now, here's the question : Can you do
anything with them other than beer? I realise this is a peculiar question,
but - can you make, say, soup with them? Roast them?Anything besides ale?
Sounds like it would be fun, but I've no idea where to start.

Thanks, ya'll : )

- Tess!

Arri London

Tess wrote:

> HI! Foodie People!
>
> I've missed ya'll! Back from the trip, we stayed in "Mayberry" a little
> longer than we'd planned, and I just can't wait to go back. Oh, man - some
> of the best darn food I've ever had in my LIFE! To the lady who lives three
> miles outside of Mt. Airy - have you ever eaten at "Aunt Bea's"? WOW!
> Fabulous!
>
> I'll be posting a foodie report soon, at the present time, I feel like I've
> been run over by a Greyhound bus. In the meantime, I have a question :
>
> Garden planning time! I've got a ton of catalogues. For *years* I've been
> wanting to grow some hops. Got that catalogue today, and I need a little
> input. My little man *does* make beer, but buys the kit, and you don't need
> any *actual* hops to do that. The catalogues have two different kinds, and
> I'm going for the "aromatic" one. Now, here's the question : Can you do
> anything with them other than beer? I realise this is a peculiar question,
> but - can you make, say, soup with them? Roast them?Anything besides ale?
> Sounds like it would be fun, but I've no idea where to start.
>
> Thanks, ya'll : )
>
> - Tess!

The young hop shoots can be used like pea sprouts in salads. The fresh
hops themselves can be cooked gently like any soft vegetable.
Kenneth

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:50:30 -0700, Arri London
> wrote:

>The fresh
>hops themselves can be cooked gently like any soft vegetable.

Howdy,

I don't deny it, but...

Would they not be overpoweringly bitter?

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Bob (this one)

Tess wrote:

> Garden planning time! I've got a ton of catalogues. For *years* I've been
> wanting to grow some hops. Got that catalogue today, and I need a little
> input. My little man *does* make beer, but buys the kit, and you don't need
> any *actual* hops to do that. The catalogues have two different kinds, and
> I'm going for the "aromatic" one. Now, here's the question : Can you do
> anything with them other than beer?

Um, yes. You can graft a cutting from a hops plant onto the roots of a
Cannabis sativa and grow some magic hops. The leaves can be used as
usual and the little boogers that people use to make beer can add a
certain, er, high note to the flavors.

Or so I've, uh, read.

No, seriously...

Pastorio

Tess

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> The young hop shoots can be used like pea sprouts in salads. The fresh
> hops themselves can be cooked gently like any soft vegetable.

Oh! That's *wonderful*! I absolutely *love* sprouts!

And then, given that they look a lot like brussel sprockets, I wondered if
you could cook them that way. But yes, seems like they would be very bitter.
If anybody should come across a proper recipe, please let me know : )

- Tesssss

Tess

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message

> Um, yes. You can graft a cutting from a hops plant onto the roots of a
> Cannabis sativa and grow some magic hops. The leaves can be used as usual
> and the little boogers that people use to make beer can add a certain, er,
> high note to the flavors.
>
> Or so I've, uh, read.
>
> No, seriously...
>
> Pastorio

Oh, Bob! I love the way your mind works! Shouldn't put ideas like that in my
head

- Tess : )

aem

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Um, yes. You can graft a cutting from a hops plant onto the roots of
> a Cannabis sativa and grow some magic hops. The leaves can be used
> as usual and the little boogers that people use to make beer can add
> a certain, er, high note to the flavors.
>
> Or so I've, uh, read.
>
> No, seriously...
>
> Pastorio

This is a favorite urban legend among both the hops growers and the
cannabis growers. Too bad it doesn't really work. Hops grafted onto a
cannabis plant is still hops and will not contain any thc; cannabis
grafted onto a hops plant maybe gains a little concealment, but that's
all. Or so some knowledgeable farmers have told me....

-aem

The Joneses

Tess wrote:

> HI! Foodie People!
>
> I've missed ya'll! Back from the trip, we stayed in "Mayberry" a little
> longer than we'd planned, and I just can't wait to go back. Oh, man - some
> of the best darn food I've ever had in my LIFE! To the lady who lives three
> miles outside of Mt. Airy - have you ever eaten at "Aunt Bea's"? WOW!
> Fabulous!
>
> I'll be posting a foodie report soon, at the present time, I feel like I've
> been run over by a Greyhound bus. In the meantime, I have a question :
>
> Garden planning time! I've got a ton of catalogues. For *years* I've been
> wanting to grow some hops. Got that catalogue today, and I need a little
> input. My little man *does* make beer, but buys the kit, and you don't need
> any *actual* hops to do that. The catalogues have two different kinds, and
> I'm going for the "aromatic" one. Now, here's the question : Can you do
> anything with them other than beer? I realise this is a peculiar question,
> but - can you make, say, soup with them? Roast them?Anything besides ale?
> Sounds like it would be fun, but I've no idea where to start.
>
> Thanks, ya'll : )
>
> - Tess!

Hops tea is supposed to be good for "nervous complaints" and muscle spasms. But
boy does it smell awful. One can fill a little sack with dried hops blossoms
and put it under your pillow to help you sleep. Maybe it makes your snoring
sleep partner leave. Did I mention it smells worse than moldy gym socks?
Edrena

Bob (this one)

aem wrote:

> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>>Um, yes. You can graft a cutting from a hops plant onto the roots of
>>a Cannabis sativa and grow some magic hops. The leaves can be used
>>as usual and the little boogers that people use to make beer can add
>>a certain, er, high note to the flavors.
>>
>>Or so I've, uh, read.
>>
>>No, seriously...
>>
>>Pastorio

> This is a favorite urban legend among both the hops growers and the
> cannabis growers. Too bad it doesn't really work. Hops grafted onto a
> cannabis plant is still hops and will not contain any thc; cannabis
> grafted onto a hops plant maybe gains a little concealment, but that's
> all. Or so some knowledgeable farmers have told me....

I'm afraid those farmers didn't do it, then. Or maybe things have
changed; DNA or something. 40 years ago it certainly did work. Or so
we thought. But then we thought that you could smoke the scrapings
from banana skins. Everybody sing... "They call me mellow yellow..."

He dueling authorities, sorta.
<http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph26.htm>
<http://www.entheogen.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3675.html>

Perennial marijuana...?
<http://www.immunocapinvitrosight.com/templates/Allergens.asp?id=2253>

In any event, I'm a long time away from it; decades. I saw some
program on one of the "good for you" channels; Discovery or Learning
or something a couple years ago and they were talking about the
various strains and names and I felt like the antique I am. Whole
buncha generations past my exposures.

We did brownies from the Alice B.Toklas recipe and they certainly
worked. But if the current stuff is so much stronger than what was
available in the 60's and 70s, I can't imagine the effects. I think
I'd be paralyzed.

I read more info to see what the reality here is than I had all
together before now. Fascinating subject. From my distant past...

What's that in the kitchen. I have the munchies just thinking about it...

Bob

aem

Bob (this one) wrote:
[snip preceding]

> I'm afraid those farmers didn't do it, then. Or maybe things have
> changed; DNA or something. 40 years ago it certainly did work. Or so
> we thought. [snip]
>
> He dueling authorities, sorta.
> <http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph26.htm>
> <http://www.entheogen.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=3675.html>

Well, the first of these only says "the purpose" of grafting is to
produce hops that contain THC. It never says it works, and it cites no
research. The second quite directly states that this is a myth and
that hops grafted onto cannabis rootstock will not contain any THC.
And it cites published research. Seems clear to me, despite our
wishful thinking.

In enlightened places like Alaska you don't have to hide the plant you
grow for personal use anyway....

-aem

Arri London

Kenneth wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:50:30 -0700, Arri London
> > wrote:
>
> >The fresh
> >hops themselves can be cooked gently like any soft vegetable.

> Howdy,
>
> I don't deny it, but...
>
> Would they not be overpoweringly bitter?
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth

No they are still young.

> If you email... Please remove the "SPAMLESS."

Siobhan Perricone

On 5 Mar 2005 10:12:04 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>In enlightened places like Alaska you don't have to hide the plant you
>grow for personal use anyway....

"Pot got more votes than Hickel"

--
Siobhan Perricone