aem

Default turkey legs

We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs in
one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about what
could be done with them?

-aem

zxcvbob

aem wrote:
> We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
> recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs in
> one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about what
> could be done with them?
>
> -aem

I use them to make gumbo.

And I often use turkey wings when I make "chicken" soup.

Best regards,
Bob
Katra

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
> recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs in
> one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about what
> could be done with them?
>
> -aem

I buy them all the time! :-)
They are good braised, roasted, or de-boned and used in stir fry or
other recipes that chopped boneless poultry is good in.

Very good and very useful!

Turkey wings too. They are also available in my area! I cut those apart
at the joint and just fry them like chicken.

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

jmcquown

aem wrote:
> We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
> recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs
> in one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about
> what could be done with them?
>
> -aem

I'm with you on the dark meat; moist and tender as opposed to having to
brine. Turky legs are a "big" thing in what is commonly termed 'soul food'.
Deep fried, they are fantastic. They are also often smoked and used to
flavour pots of greens (I prefer turnip greens to collards). The meat is
then picked off the bones and either added to the greens or served on the
side. The bones are frozen and used to make stock. I think once fully
cooked they would lend themselves to many soups - split pea, cabbage soup,
bean soup.

I just found this Brunswick-style stew on cooks.com

1 lb. bulk pork sausage
2 turkey legs (about 3 lb.)
1 c. water
1 lg. onion, sliced
2 med. stalks celery, sliced (about 1 c.)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper sauce
1 can (16 oz.) whole tomatoes
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen whole kernel corn
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen baby lima beans
2 tbsp. snipped parsley
Cook and stir sausage in 4 quart Dutch oven until brown. Remove with slotted
spoon; reserve. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat. Cook turkey legs in fat,
turning occasionally, until golden brown. Add water, onion, celery, bay
leaf, basil, salt, pepper sauce and reserved sausage. Heat to boiling;
reduce heat. Cover and simmer until turkey is tender, 2-2 1/2 hours.

Remove turkey; cool slightly. Remove meat from skin and bones; cut meat into
bite-size pieces. Return meat to Dutch oven; add tomatoes (with liquid),
corn and lima beans. Break tomatoes up with fork. Heat to boiling; reduce
heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with parsley. 8 servings - 256 calories per serving.

Haven't tried it but it sounds tasty with perhaps a few adjustments allowing
for individual tastes. I love lima beans; a lot of people don't.

Jill

Sheldon

aem wrote:
> We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
> recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs

in
> one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about what
> could be done with them?
>
> -aem

I like the dark meat of poultry better too... occasionally I'll buy a
large package of turkey legs (family pack -- 6-8 legs) and simply
season and roast them on a rack ('bout an hour or so at 350F). Once
cooked I'll eat one or two and freeze the rest... I wouldn't light my
oven for one or two legs. I also enjoy turkey necks, ever so often
I'll see a package of those... I'll roast them along with the legs.
Toss some root veggies into the roasting pan too.

Sheldon

Sheldon

And I often use turkey wings when I make "chicken" soup.

Best regards,
Bob

Um, now that is very weird... wouldn't that be turkey soup... even
Campbell's calls their soup made with turkey Turkey Soup. What is it
about turkey that embarrasses you???

Priscilla H. Ballou

aem wrote:

> We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
> recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs in
> one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about what
> could be done with them?

I poach 'em and make a delish turkey salad.

Priscilla
Peter Aitken

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
> recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs in
> one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about what
> could be done with them?
>
> -aem

You'll find a terrific recipe for turkey legs with turnips in the poultry
section of my recipe page:

http://www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

--
Peter Aitken

Dave W.

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

<snip>

> I use them to make gumbo.
>
> And I often use turkey wings when I make "chicken" soup.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

What Bob said. I almost always bring smoked turkey legs home when I find
them and use them for gumbo broth and, of course, the meat goes in the
gumbo too. The meat has lost most of its flavor in the simmer, but there
are plenty of other ingredients that help make for that loss. You can't
have too much turkey leg broth.

Smoked or otherwise, turkey legs are the best. I'll eat them as is, make
turkey salad, turkey soup, frickasee (which I evidently don't know how
to spell), and, uh, other ways too.

Gobble, gobble (that's turkey for "Regards"),
Dave W.

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth
becomes a revolutionary act. - George Orwell, (1903-1950)
Nancy Young

"Dave W." > wrote in message

> Smoked or otherwise, turkey legs are the best. I'll eat them as is, make
> turkey salad, turkey soup, frickasee (which I evidently don't know how
> to spell), and, uh, other ways too.

It makes me kinda laugh that they sell them at food fairs. Like, I'm
supposed to eat them a la the Flintstones? Maybe next time I'll get
one to go to make it into dinner or turkey soup or sandwiches.

nancy

Damsel in dis Dress

Katra >, if that's their real name, wrote:

>In article . com>,
> "aem" > wrote:
>
>> We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
>> recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs in
>> one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about what
>> could be done with them?

>I buy them all the time! :-)
>They are good braised, roasted, or de-boned and used in stir fry or
>other recipes that chopped boneless poultry is good in.
>
>Very good and very useful!
>
>Turkey wings too. They are also available in my area! I cut those apart
>at the joint and just fry them like chicken.

Sorry, aem. I didn't think of a use for dark meat turkey right away, until
Katra inspired me. Crash and I don't like turkey dark meat. He eats the
wings, and we both eat the breasts. I use the dark meat in turkey soup,
and mixed with barbecue sauce for sandwiches. The dogs like it too.

Carol, dodging hurled beets

Kathy

I've been using leftover chopped dark meat from an organic turkey with
strong flavored sauces, since this particular turkey was a bit gamey to
begin with. It's nice with apples, onions, and raisins in a curry cream
sauce over rice. It works with sauted onions, carrots, and cabbage in a Thai
peanut sauce.

Kathy

aem

Well, that's a lot more encouragement than I expected. They're now on
the shopping list. Maybe I'll pick up a box of Mrs. Cubbison's, too.

-aem

Vibod

...........make a 5" incision down the side of each leg, and then fill
with small pieces of butter. Wrap up tightly in aluminum foil, and
bake for 3 hours in a slow (275 degrees F) oven. Will melt off the
bones, and there will be enough juice to make a great gravy or sauce.
Enjoy!

Stan Horwitz

In article . com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> We much prefer the dark meat of a roast turkey to the breast and have
> recently noticed that one of the markets is now stocking turkey legs in
> one or two to a package. Anyone have experience or ideas about what
> could be done with them?

The supermarkets here in the Philadelphia area have been selling pairs
of packaged turkey legs for many years. I buy turkey legs once in a
while. Turkey legs are best when they are slowly smoked. They get
unbelievably tender and flavorful that way.

Unfortunately, I am not in a situation where I can smoke turkey legs or
any other food. What I do is simply let them marinade in terryaki sauce
over night with garlic powder and plenty of ground pepper and I bake
them slowly for two or three hours at 350 in my oven. They come out
pretty good that way, but not as good as when they're smoked, which is
why when I buy turkey legs, I usually just buy smoked ones and then I
just warm them up in the oven.

Turkey Legs Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 280 21-11-2011 09:30 PM
Turkey Legs Skylamar General Cooking 24 23-02-2011 05:50 AM
Anyone seen turkey legs? Julie Bove Diabetic 2 18-11-2008 04:25 PM
Turkey Legs Anonymous[_15_] Barbecue 1 08-05-2007 10:14 PM
Turkey legs p-nut Barbecue 9 30-06-2005 07:03 PM