FoodBanter.com

-   -   PING: Elaine - Potato and Cheese Soup (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/55035-ping-elaine-potato-cheese.html)

limey 25-02-2005 07:18 PM

PING: Elaine - Potato and Cheese Soup

Hi, Elaine. You posted this recipe on February 21 and I made it today for
lunch. It was very tasty and is a "keeper". By some small miracle, I had
every ingredient needed (with the exception of the fresh parsley). Thanks
again for posting.

Dora

Posted by Elaine to r.f.c. - 2/21/05
Bon Appétit
December 1995

Cheese & Potato Soup
2 tablespoons vegetables oil
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 10- to 12-ounce russet potato, peeled, diced
1 cup packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped ham
Hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
Chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, carrot, onion
and thyme and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle flour over and stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth, then milk.
Add potato and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup until potato
is tender, about 20 minutes. Add cheese 1/3 cup at a time, stirring until
melted and smooth after each addition. Mix in ham. Season soup to taste with
hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

elaine 25-02-2005 10:49 PM

"limey" > wrote in message
> Hi, Elaine. You posted this recipe on February 21 and I made it today

for
> lunch. It was very tasty and is a "keeper". By some small miracle, I

had
> every ingredient needed (with the exception of the fresh parsley). Thanks
> again for posting.
>
> Dora
>
> Posted by Elaine to r.f.c. - 2/21/05
> Bon Appétit
> December 1995
>
> Cheese & Potato Soup
> 2 tablespoons vegetables oil
> 1/2 cup chopped celery
> 1/2 cup chopped carrot
> 1/2 cup chopped onion
> 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
> 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
> 2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
> 2 cups milk
> 1 10- to 12-ounce russet potato, peeled, diced
> 1 cup packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
> 1/2 cup chopped ham
> Hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
> Chopped fresh parsley
> Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, carrot,

onion
> and thyme and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
> Sprinkle flour over and stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth, then

milk.
> Add potato and bring soup to boil. Reduce heat and simmer soup until

potato
> is tender, about 20 minutes. Add cheese 1/3 cup at a time, stirring until
> melted and smooth after each addition. Mix in ham. Season soup to taste

with
> hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Dora - me too. And it's not a hard recipe to use
what's on hand - even if you don't have everything.

Elaine