Jack Schidt®

Default Are You A Flexitarian?

The Metrosexuals of the food world.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

Jack Carne-Val

zxcvbob

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
>

> Jack Carne-Val

Looks like a repackaging of the "macrobiotic diet".

-Bob
zxcvbob

Jack Schidt® wrote:

> The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
>

> Jack Carne-Val

Looks like a repackaging of the "macrobiotic diet".

-Bob
Katra

In article > ,
"Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

Funny, I always thought that this was a "normal" diet...

To serve a meat dish with 2 or 3 sides of veggies or sometimes canned or
fresh fruit.

It's how I have always eaten, and with stir fry's, there are one or two
different meats, and at least 3, sometimes 4 different types of veggies.

Wierd!

The only thing I make it a point to avoid most of the time are starches
and refined sugars.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article > ,
"Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

Funny, I always thought that this was a "normal" diet...

To serve a meat dish with 2 or 3 sides of veggies or sometimes canned or
fresh fruit.

It's how I have always eaten, and with stir fry's, there are one or two
different meats, and at least 3, sometimes 4 different types of veggies.

Wierd!

The only thing I make it a point to avoid most of the time are starches
and refined sugars.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Jack Schidt®

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

> Funny, I always thought that this was a "normal" diet...

Or someone simply cutting back on their meat intake.

> To serve a meat dish with 2 or 3 sides of veggies or sometimes canned or
> fresh fruit.
>
> It's how I have always eaten, and with stir fry's, there are one or two
> different meats, and at least 3, sometimes 4 different types of veggies.

Right, not just 'diner style' with meat, potatoes and a single
steamed/boiled veg.

> Wierd!
>
> The only thing I make it a point to avoid most of the time are starches
> and refined sugars.

Yeah, avoid the brown cola drink at all costs...

Jack Flexible

Jack Schidt®

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

> Funny, I always thought that this was a "normal" diet...

Or someone simply cutting back on their meat intake.

> To serve a meat dish with 2 or 3 sides of veggies or sometimes canned or
> fresh fruit.
>
> It's how I have always eaten, and with stir fry's, there are one or two
> different meats, and at least 3, sometimes 4 different types of veggies.

Right, not just 'diner style' with meat, potatoes and a single
steamed/boiled veg.

> Wierd!
>
> The only thing I make it a point to avoid most of the time are starches
> and refined sugars.

Yeah, avoid the brown cola drink at all costs...

Jack Flexible

Miche

In article > ,
"Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".

Miche (who doesn't see how anyone who eats meat can call themselves any
kind of vegetarian, but this way I guess they don't have to)

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Miche

In article > ,
"Jack Schidt®" > wrote:

> The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".

Miche (who doesn't see how anyone who eats meat can call themselves any
kind of vegetarian, but this way I guess they don't have to)

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Peter Aitken

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

> Funny, I always thought that this was a "normal" diet...

I agree! We eat vegetarian meals quite regularly, at least 6-8 times a week
(lunch and dinner), not because of health or ethical concerns but just
because there are so many delicious meals that contain no meat (which to me
means anything from a clam to a roast beef). I believe the old-fashioned
term for this is "omnivore." This idea that you can be a "part time
vegetarian" is so silly.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

> Funny, I always thought that this was a "normal" diet...

I agree! We eat vegetarian meals quite regularly, at least 6-8 times a week
(lunch and dinner), not because of health or ethical concerns but just
because there are so many delicious meals that contain no meat (which to me
means anything from a clam to a roast beef). I believe the old-fashioned
term for this is "omnivore." This idea that you can be a "part time
vegetarian" is so silly.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".

Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian but can't
give up meat."

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".

Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian but can't
give up meat."

--
Peter Aitken

Jack Schidt®

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".
>
> Miche (who doesn't see how anyone who eats meat can call themselves any
> kind of vegetarian, but this way I guess they don't have to)
>
> --

I found it comical that there had to be a name assigned this eating
preference in the first place.

Jack Label

Jack Schidt®

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".
>
> Miche (who doesn't see how anyone who eats meat can call themselves any
> kind of vegetarian, but this way I guess they don't have to)
>
> --

I found it comical that there had to be a name assigned this eating
preference in the first place.

Jack Label

Goomba38

zxcvbob wrote:

> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
> >

> > Jack Carne-Val

> Looks like a repackaging of the "macrobiotic diet".
>
> -Bob

Maybe a lil more meat in her diet would improve her condition? She looks
deathly ill... lol
Goomba

Goomba38

zxcvbob wrote:

> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
> >

> > Jack Carne-Val

> Looks like a repackaging of the "macrobiotic diet".
>
> -Bob

Maybe a lil more meat in her diet would improve her condition? She looks
deathly ill... lol
Goomba

jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "Jack Schidt®" > deliciously posted in
> m:
>
>> The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>>
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
>>

>> Jack Carne-Val

> I'm a carnivor and admit it. I love beef, pork, chicken. I do like
> turkey.
>
> Michael

I'm a carnivore; I eat eggs whether or not they came from free-range
chickens; I eat chicken and don't care if they ran free; I eat beef, pork,
lamb, veal... all kinds of seafood and freshwater fish.

I also love veggies, all sorts of squashes, spinach, greens, etc. I had
cornbread with turnip greens last night for dinner... that's a real
"country" Southern dinner But please, let me have meat. Must have.

Jill

jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "Jack Schidt®" > deliciously posted in
> m:
>
>> The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>>
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
>>

>> Jack Carne-Val

> I'm a carnivor and admit it. I love beef, pork, chicken. I do like
> turkey.
>
> Michael

I'm a carnivore; I eat eggs whether or not they came from free-range
chickens; I eat chicken and don't care if they ran free; I eat beef, pork,
lamb, veal... all kinds of seafood and freshwater fish.

I also love veggies, all sorts of squashes, spinach, greens, etc. I had
cornbread with turnip greens last night for dinner... that's a real
"country" Southern dinner But please, let me have meat. Must have.

Jill

sf

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:06:54 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

> The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
>

> Jack Carne-Val

Hmmm. Interesting thought! I haven't associated the two
concepts before - I'm not sure that metrosexuals have any
relationship to flexitarians other than they are trendy.

Metrosexuals are usually aged 30 or less and do it for
fashion's sake, no other reason... but people who eat less
meat do it for a number of reasons: it could be advancing
age which means less ability to digest meat, perhaps they
were raised in vegetarian(ish) households, or it maybe they
are eating less meat as a matter of conscience or protest.

sf

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:06:54 GMT, "Jack Schidt®"
> wrote:

> The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
>

> Jack Carne-Val

Hmmm. Interesting thought! I haven't associated the two
concepts before - I'm not sure that metrosexuals have any
relationship to flexitarians other than they are trendy.

Metrosexuals are usually aged 30 or less and do it for
fashion's sake, no other reason... but people who eat less
meat do it for a number of reasons: it could be advancing
age which means less ability to digest meat, perhaps they
were raised in vegetarian(ish) households, or it maybe they
are eating less meat as a matter of conscience or protest.

Ken

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
> >

> > Jack Carne-Val
> >

> Looks like a repackaging of the "macrobiotic diet".
>
> -Bob

A few years ago, I was hiking with a friend. We stopped on the trail
and he saw what I had for lunch. He asked if I was a macrobiotic. I
told him I don't even know what a macrobiotic is, this is just the way
I eat.
Ken

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
> >

> > Jack Carne-Val
> >

> Looks like a repackaging of the "macrobiotic diet".
>
> -Bob

A few years ago, I was hiking with a friend. We stopped on the trail
and he saw what I had for lunch. He asked if I was a macrobiotic. I
told him I don't even know what a macrobiotic is, this is just the way
I eat.
Ken

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
> >

> > Jack Carne-Val
> >

> Looks like a repackaging of the "macrobiotic diet".
>
> -Bob

Oops, somehow the last message got posted without my meaning to. (I
moved my mouse, something clicked, and off it went into cyberspace.)
As I was saying, that's just how I eat. Some meat and lots of
veggies. My diet sounds just about like everyone else who has posted
on this subject. But welcome to the 2,000's: Put a label on it and
try to figure out how to make money from it. I'm guessing soon there
will be the flexitarian diet. But you'll have to buy something to do
it "right".

Ken
Ken

zxcvbob > wrote in message >...
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>
> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
> >
> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/
> >

> > Jack Carne-Val
> >

> Looks like a repackaging of the "macrobiotic diet".
>
> -Bob

Oops, somehow the last message got posted without my meaning to. (I
moved my mouse, something clicked, and off it went into cyberspace.)
As I was saying, that's just how I eat. Some meat and lots of
veggies. My diet sounds just about like everyone else who has posted
on this subject. But welcome to the 2,000's: Put a label on it and
try to figure out how to make money from it. I'm guessing soon there
will be the flexitarian diet. But you'll have to buy something to do
it "right".

Ken

Saerah

Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
>"Miche" > wrote in message
>> In article > ,
>> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>>
>> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>> >
>> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

>> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
>> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".
>>

>Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian but can't
>give up meat."

ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but ate fish.
the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply don't eat red
meat.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Saerah

Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
>"Miche" > wrote in message
>> In article > ,
>> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>>
>> > The Metrosexuals of the food world.
>> >
>> > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4541605/

>> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
>> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".
>>

>Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian but can't
>give up meat."

ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but ate fish.
the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply don't eat red
meat.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

jmcquown

Saerah wrote:
> Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
>> "Miche" > wrote in message

>>> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
>>> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up
>>> meat".
>>>

>> Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian
>> but can't give up meat."
>>

> ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but
> ate fish. the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply
> don't eat red meat.

Well, this is true. The ones I know eat free-range chicken, eggs from
free-range chickens, fish and seafood... just no red meat. So what about
pork? The "other" white meat? (as the ads say).

I really want to know how they know the chicken/eggs are free-range. Anyone
can put anything on a label, after all. And they aren't raising their own,
AFAIK. I do work with a guy who raises chickens and offered to sell me some
eggs. "Do you candle them?" He said "Huh?" Never mind; I don't eat eggs
that often.

Jill (thinking of gagging on a half-formed chick)

jmcquown

Saerah wrote:
> Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
>> "Miche" > wrote in message

>>> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
>>> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up
>>> meat".
>>>

>> Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian
>> but can't give up meat."
>>

> ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but
> ate fish. the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply
> don't eat red meat.

Well, this is true. The ones I know eat free-range chicken, eggs from
free-range chickens, fish and seafood... just no red meat. So what about
pork? The "other" white meat? (as the ads say).

I really want to know how they know the chicken/eggs are free-range. Anyone
can put anything on a label, after all. And they aren't raising their own,
AFAIK. I do work with a guy who raises chickens and offered to sell me some
eggs. "Do you candle them?" He said "Huh?" Never mind; I don't eat eggs
that often.

Jill (thinking of gagging on a half-formed chick)

MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, jmcquown of said:

>I really want to know how they know the chicken/eggs are free-range. Anyone
>can put anything on a label, after all. And they aren't raising their own,
>AFAIK.

Here we have a law against such things. If your eggs aren't free-range,
you're not allowed to call them free-range.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856

MEow

While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, jmcquown of said:

>I really want to know how they know the chicken/eggs are free-range. Anyone
>can put anything on a label, after all. And they aren't raising their own,
>AFAIK.

Here we have a law against such things. If your eggs aren't free-range,
you're not allowed to call them free-range.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN
"I wouldn't imagine 2 heads and 3 arms would be very aerodynamically
favorable." Anorak (afdaniain)
Saerah

jmcquown wrote in message ...
>Saerah wrote:
>> Peter Aitken wrote in message ...

>>> Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian
>>> but can't give up meat."
>>>

>> ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but
>> ate fish. the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply
>> don't eat red meat.

>Well, this is true. The ones I know eat free-range chicken, eggs from
>free-range chickens, fish and seafood... just no red meat. So what about
>pork? The "other" white meat? (as the ads say).

well, if they eat chicken and meat, they arent vegetarians, by definition.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Saerah

jmcquown wrote in message ...
>Saerah wrote:
>> Peter Aitken wrote in message ...

>>> Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian
>>> but can't give up meat."
>>>

>> ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but
>> ate fish. the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply
>> don't eat red meat.

>Well, this is true. The ones I know eat free-range chicken, eggs from
>free-range chickens, fish and seafood... just no red meat. So what about
>pork? The "other" white meat? (as the ads say).

well, if they eat chicken and meat, they arent vegetarians, by definition.

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Peter Aitken

"Saerah" > wrote in message

> Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
> >"Miche" > wrote in message

> >> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
> >> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".
> >>

> >Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian but

can't
> >give up meat."
> >

> ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but ate

fish.
> the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply don't eat red
> meat.
>
> --
> Saerah

Part of that mindset seems to be that fish and chickens are vegetables.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Saerah" > wrote in message

> Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
> >"Miche" > wrote in message

> >> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
> >> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".
> >>

> >Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian but

can't
> >give up meat."
> >

> ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but ate

fish.
> the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply don't eat red
> meat.
>
> --
> Saerah

Part of that mindset seems to be that fish and chickens are vegetables.

--
Peter Aitken

Jack Schidt®

"Saerah" > wrote in message

> well, if they eat chicken and meat, they arent vegetarians, by definition.
>
> --

I guess my label would be "ExerciseAndBalancedDiet-IST"

Jackist

Jack Schidt®

"Saerah" > wrote in message

> well, if they eat chicken and meat, they arent vegetarians, by definition.
>
> --

I guess my label would be "ExerciseAndBalancedDiet-IST"

Jackist

MareCat

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 01:08:03 -0500, "Saerah"
> wrote:

>Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
>>"Miche" > wrote in message

>>> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
>>> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".
>>>

>>Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian but can't
>>give up meat."
>>

>ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but ate fish.
>the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply don't eat red
>meat.

A good friend of mine doesn't eat any land animals, but eats all
seafood. She and her husband live on a farm and have horses, pigs,
chickens, goats, sheep, rabbits, and ducks. They're the safest animals
in the entire state of TX, as they'll never be killed for food. My
friend and her husband eat the eggs from the chickens and use the wool
from the sheep and goats for yarn; other than that, they don't derive
any products from the animals.
MareCat

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 01:08:03 -0500, "Saerah"
> wrote:

>Peter Aitken wrote in message ...
>>"Miche" > wrote in message

>>> It's just a weasel-word for "semi-vegetarian", which is in itself a
>>> weasel-word for "would like to be a vegetarian but can't give up meat".
>>>

>>Or as I see it, "someone who wants to claim they are a vegetarian but can't
>>give up meat."
>>

>ive known quite a few people who called themselves vegetarian, but ate fish.
>the prevailing mindset seems to be that vegetarians simply don't eat red
>meat.

A good friend of mine doesn't eat any land animals, but eats all
seafood. She and her husband live on a farm and have horses, pigs,
chickens, goats, sheep, rabbits, and ducks. They're the safest animals
in the entire state of TX, as they'll never be killed for food. My
friend and her husband eat the eggs from the chickens and use the wool
from the sheep and goats for yarn; other than that, they don't derive
any products from the animals.
Jon Leipzig

"jmcquown" > wrote in message news:Cng7c.30

> I really want to know how they know the chicken/eggs are free-range.

Anyone
> can put anything on a label, after all. And they aren't raising their

own,
> AFAIK. I do work with a guy who raises chickens and offered to sell me

some
> eggs. "Do you candle them?" He said "Huh?" Never mind; I don't eat eggs
> that often.

It's a term invented by the industry, not the gubmint. It _can_ mean as
little as the chicks having access to the great outdoors (while being
cooped up in a barn, with the door open) Don't suppose they would park a
mean junkyard dog in the doorway to discourage adventurism....would
they...?

> Jill (thinking of gagging on a half-formed chick)

I gagged on some half-brained ones I picked up in bars, at closing time.